Boston

• Please log in to reply

973 replies to this topic

soundgarden

soundgarden

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 7:30 AM

Anyone in the Boston area interested in TWoPcon?

mannhunter

mannhunter

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 8:19 AM

I would be! As long as it's held downtown or within T access. It's nice to know there's other Bostonians around.

MachoDonkey

MachoDonkey

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 11:52 AM

I would be up for it too, also with the T access caveat. I'm in Somerville, how 'bout you guys?

soundgarden

soundgarden

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 6:16 PM

Hi. It's good to hear back from people in the area. I'm right in Kenmore Square. So...any ideas? I am down with pretty much anything.

DQMP7

DQMP7

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 10:32 PM

I would definitely be up for BostonCon! I'm in Maine, but would be able to get transportation down there either by bus, or with a friend who lurks here.

PurpleYoshi

PurpleYoshi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 11:19 AM

Hey, I'm from the North Shore of MA and I'd definitely be interested. It's no problem for me to get into downtown Boston.

SpyRI

SpyRI

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 12:00 PM

*small, lonely voice* Are Rhode Islanders welcome? I'd love to met some TWoPpers face to face! I could take the train from Providence, I think it hooks up with the Red line T in Boston.

soundgarden

soundgarden

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 1:44 PM

Hi SpyRI. Of course RI'ers are welcome. I read your interviews for ANTM - they were great! Any ideas on where to meet?

SpyRI

SpyRI

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 4:00 PM

Yay! I'll be there!

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 8:40 PM

Count me in !!

SpyRI

SpyRI

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 8:15 AM

I was going to suggest the Museum of Bad Art, but that's in Dedham. My Mass. geography is sadly, embarrasingly bad, but I do at least know that Dedham is a way out of Boston. It's up to all you city folk. Again, embarrased to ask, but does Boston have a Chinatown? Good eats, cheap drinks?

MSat

MSat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 8:27 AM

Let's do it again! Name the time and place; I'll be there. City proper is ok with me.

OpheliasCat

OpheliasCat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 2:16 PM

I'd be down. and yes, there is a Boston Chinatown. God knows there are a million and a half good places to eat in this city... :)

MSat

MSat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 4:29 PM

If we're doing Chinatown, I vote for the King Fung Garden on Kneeland St. Is it still good and cheap? If so, let's share some Scorpion Bowls and talk trash. Heh.

Edited by MSat, Mar 1, 2004 @ 4:30 PM.

MachoDonkey

MachoDonkey

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 4:11 PM

Chinatown would be ok with me, but do people know places that are veggie-friendly? I am a vegetarian, and many of the restaurants in chinatown are decidedly meaty.

Porter Square has a great eclectic american restaurant called Christopher's, and they have a bar.

Harvard Square has great chinese, thai, indian, and vietnamese restaurants. They also have some decent pubs.

Fireside Poet

Fireside Poet

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 3, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

1st time poster, long time lurker. I'm north of Boston and would love to meet you guys. Where and when...

Kurtle

Kurtle

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2004 @ 11:53 PM

I live in Cambridge. Count me in for anywhere with easy T access!

Pete

Pete

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2004 @ 8:27 PM

Can Cape Cod represent? I'm up for it.

benchelsea

benchelsea

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2004 @ 3:46 PM

I'm in. I missed the last one, so I'm excited to get to know some TWOP folks around here.

MSat

MSat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2004 @ 4:05 PM

Can we do it at the end of March/early Arpil? The weather should be nice then. Or at least, nicer.

So...we need to find a place that meets the following requirements:
-T access
-accommodates big groups
-features some vegetarian choices
-not too pricey
-cute bartenders
(Ok, that last one was me, sorry.)

Shall I do a citysearch, or does anyone have a suggestion that springs to mind?

SpyRI

SpyRI

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 12:08 PM

End of March /early April sounds great! I'm really looking forward to this!

modo

modo

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 8:50 AM

I'm up for it as well- I'm in Somerville and would love to do something T-accessible, if possible.

ps. I was at that Museum of TV&Radio/Paley festival gig for Arrested Development last week and it was incredible!

jmhardin

jmhardin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 3:38 PM

I just saw the thread. The guys in the TWW section are looking at a bit of a minicon and I'll make sure the appropriate people see this thread. Needless to say I'd love to join in on a TWoP BosCon.

MSat

MSat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 10:32 AM

How does Saturday, April 3 work for everyone? Do we want to meet in city proper or one of the outer areas like Cambridge or Somerville? Do we want a straight-up restaurant or a pub/bar type of joint?

Some some ideas:

For an Irish Pub atmosphere: (which is what we did last time)
Tir Na Nog or The Burren in Somerville, The Black Rose in city proper (I think it's on Boylston? Can't remember the street name).

For a regular pub, there's the Sunset Grill, over in Allston. We stopped in there onces after a Sox game. Good menu, good beer. Mmmm. Beer.

For Chinese:
There are a bunch of places in Chinatown (some have already mentioned), but there's also a great place in Cambridge called Rangzen which features Chinese and Tibetan food. And Betty's Wok and Noodle in Boston is kind of fun-- sort of a 50's kitsch meets asian/latino menu. Good drinks there, too. It's on Huntington, so I'd imagine it's accessible by the T.

Now, keep in mind I'm just throwing out ideas, if anyone else has favorites let's hear 'em! i don't get into the city as much as I used to so there might be new places cropping up.

lisajm

lisajm

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 12:51 PM

Hey, I'm in Nashua, NH can I join in?

tsr0529

tsr0529

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 3:27 PM

This sounds really fun, but I'll be out of town April 3rd. (Pittsburgh of all places)....AAGGHHH...
If there is a reschedule or another outing, I'll catch up with everyone then!
I'm out in Metro West....buried under about 10 inches of snow in Westboro.....

benchelsea

benchelsea

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2004 @ 9:55 AM

I'd have to bag on the weekend of the 3rd and the weekend of the 10th. My mother is visiting from L.A., and will be expecting uninterrupted weekends with her only child.

agtpop

agtpop

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2004 @ 12:37 PM

I would definitely like to come (I've been to both the other two Boston TWoPcons!) but the weekends of April 3 and 10 are out for me as well. What does everyone think of maybe April 17th?

As for locations...MSat had some great suggestions - I know that personally it would be easier if we met in Cambridge/Somerville because I can drive there, and given the interest from people outside the Boston Metro area, it might be better to go to a place where parking isn't a total hassle (e.g., Chinatown). Rangzen sounds intriguing, and good.

cellochick

cellochick

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2004 @ 3:52 PM

April 17th is marathon weekend, so if folks end up going for that date, it's probably best to do a Cambridge/Somerville/Red Line thing than anything in downtown Boston/Back Bay, which will be overrun by skinny people who go running instead of watching TV. (That would actually not be anywhere near as convenient for me personally, but since I'm out of town on the 3rd, I'm hoping for a convenient date over a convenient location so I might actually get a chance to meet some of y'all.)

MSat

MSat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2004 @ 4:03 PM

Hmm...how about the weekend after the Marathon? Which would be April 24 or 25, whatever is most convenient. That would free up everyone with prior engagements, as well as those who celebrate Easter, Passover, etc. Plus, the weather should be much more agreeable by then. I hope.

Any more agreement on the place? Rangzen is good, and it meets three major requirements: reasonably priced, T access, and vegetarian friendly.

But if someone else has a favorite, don't be shy!