Scooby-Doo

• Please log in to reply

55 replies to this topic

Rodney

Rodney

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 1:12 AM

He was definitely referred to with masculine pronouns, so yeah. He was definitely a he. Who was merely voiced by a she.

missbianca

missbianca

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 10:39 AM

Though I felt the only three who got truly characterized in the "Where are You?" series were Shaggy, Velma, and Scooby.

I agree. I HATED Fred the most. He was bossy, a bit self centered...ad just plain mean to Shaggy! If I were Shaggy (especially in the Davy Jones and Jerry Reed ones) I'd have jumped ght out of the van going, 'Be your own decoy!'. I wouldn't take that kind of stuff from my "friends".

I liked the eighties version of the show where Fred and Velma had gone and it was just Daphne, Shaggy, Scooby and Scrappy. Daphne had become the leader of the group and the one to solve the mysteries.

I agree, I LOVED the 80's versions (New Scooby Doo Mysteries and 13 Ghosts) I thought it was cool, Scrappy was cute...and FRED WAS GONE! ANY excuse to get rid of that robot. But I couldn't help but notice in the newest version they made him....human! NOT that self-centered, actually caring (somewhat) about Shaggy, and...no bossiness! Maybe that little dog did something to him.....

Edited by missbianca, Jun 16, 2009 @ 10:39 AM.

Rodney

Rodney

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

missbianca
I agree. I HATED Fred the most. He was bossy, a bit self centered...ad just plain mean to Shaggy! If I were Shaggy (especially in the Davy Jones and Jerry Reed ones) I'd have jumped ght out of the van going, 'Be your own decoy!'. I wouldn't take that kind of stuff from my "friends".

I don't think he was mean to be basically calling out Shaggy's unnecessary cowardice. Especially since Daphne and Velma did, too, at times.

Edited by Rodney, Jun 16, 2009 @ 9:01 PM.

missbianca

missbianca

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 12:52 AM

I don't think he was mean to be basically calling out Shaggy's unnecessary cowardice. Especially since Daphne and Velma did, too, at times.

Fred did it the most. And besides, if he was supposed to be his FRIEND...well...friends just don't DO that! Otherwise they're not good friends.

Edited by missbianca, Jun 17, 2009 @ 12:52 AM.

Rodney

Rodney

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 6:10 AM

missbianca
Fred did it the most. And besides, if he was supposed to be his FRIEND...well...friends just don't DO that! Otherwise they're not good friends.

Fred and Daphne and Velma ALL made Shaggy and Scooby be bait. They were the best at running from the "ghosts" and "monsters" since they wound up doing it the most often, for some reason. Why not have them play to their strengths?

In addition, I don't think that makes Fred self-centered. He more than any of them cared about the safety of everyone in the group way more than he cared about his own. If anything, Shaggy and Scooby were the ones who cared more about saving their own asses than everyone else in the group (even though I liked them, this is definitely true, and they more than proved it in The Scooby-Doo Show).

missbianca

missbianca

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 10:11 AM

They were the best at running from the "ghosts" and "monsters" since they wound up doing it the most often, for some reason. Why not have them play to their strengths?

If THAT was true, why didn't Fred just SAY that instead of calling him all those names like 'Chicken Little' or 'Captain Courageous'? Those were mean, and yes, Daph and Vel were mean too, but not to THAT extent. if ya ask me, FRED was more the coward. HE builds the trap, HE should have been the bait for it.

This, I think, was proven in the 'Whats New, Scooby Doo' ep that took place in the Candy Factory in the 3rd season. That was a dangerous ep, cause Shag and Scoob almost got KILLED three times! The first was when they landed on a conveir belt that was heading for fire! The second was when they almost drowned in Scooby Snack batter, the third was when they were I think, heading for rotary blades that almost chopped them up. I think, after THOSE times, Fred would have mercy on them! Bot NOOOOOO, he, Daph, Vel, wanted them as bait..AGAIN...when they almost got killed! I'm sorry, that's NOT showing you care, and that's NOT being a friend. Friends encourage they don't make fun.

Rodney

Rodney

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 1:15 PM

missbianca
Friends encourage they don't make fun.

I get what you're saying here. But to be fair to Fred, I never thought he'd send them out to be the bait if he thought they'd be in any danger. And any time they were, they either put themselves in danger, or Daphne would accidentally do something to make the plan go wrong.

And really, any ridicule they got, they invited it themselves. Shaggy and Scooby were scared of their own shadows, for Pete's sake. Their cowardice was sometimes uncomfortable to watch more than it was funny.

And it's not like they were the bait every time, anyway. In the 10,000-Volt Ghost episode, Daphne and Velma were the bait instead.

missbianca

missbianca

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

Shaggy and Scooby were scared of their own shadows, for Pete's sake. Their cowardice was sometimes uncomfortable to watch more than it was funny.

I'm saying, even if they did, REAL friends don't encourage it by laughing and making fun. If I were Shaggy sometimes I wouldn't take it, I'd crawl right out of that van going, "You can't accept me, you do your own traps, I'm not taking your ridicule anymore!"

I wanted him to do that after the Davy Jones ep...THAT was a bad ep!

Rogger85

Rogger85

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 16, 2009 @ 12:38 AM

Scooby-Doo i watched this show in my childhood. It was my favorite cartoon show. Scooby was very funny dog and his nephew Scraby-Doo also was quite funny.

Rodney

Rodney

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2009 @ 4:56 AM

missbianca
I'm saying, even if they did, REAL friends don't encourage it by laughing and making fun.

But they brought a lot of it on themselves. If they didn't do much to warrant it, I'd have been more sympathetic to them, but for sure, Shaggy and Scooby did it in every episode. I sided with Fred, Daphne, and Velma on that front because it must've frustrated them something fierce having to deal with that on a daily basis.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2010 @ 4:43 AM

I came across a news story which proves just how much Scooby Doo is a part of American culture:

This article describes a new tactic Al Queda is using against US soldiers. It's the caption under the photo that really says it all:

RUH-ROH! Al Qaeda evildoers took advantage of Americans' sympathy for suffering dogs in Iraq to plant bombs in US-bound pooches -- and they would have gotten away with it, too, if not for some meddlingGIs.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 1:22 AM

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! is the best series of the entire Scooby-Doo franchise, IMO. I did enjoy the New Scooby-Doo Movies too, although I don't really like the episodes with the Three Stooges. And don't even get me started on any episode that in any way involved Scrappy.

The above is the post that opened this thread, and I completely agree. I watched religiously as a child, loving the original incarnation and the subsequent version with all the guest stars (the Harlem Globetrotters!), started losing interest after that and quickly came to loathe anything containing Scrappy.

Another creepy ep was, "Bedlam In The Big Top" - when members of the gang were hypnotized by the Ghost Clown

I just completed my viewing of the Seasons 1 and 2 DVD set, watching a few episodes in bed each night before going to sleep, and that damn Ghost Clown scared me more now than it did 40 years ago!

I don't remember this bothering me as a child, but it drove me nuts every time Velma lost her glasses. I don't know why this example of repetitiveness bothers me when the rest don't, but every time she said, "I lost my glasses! I can't see without them," I rolled my eyes. Actually, scratch that -- I do know. She generally lost her glasses in the midst of searching for or even fleeing from a supposed ghost/monster, yet when she'd look around and misidentify everything because of her inability to properly focus, she'd assume everything she saw was lovely and harmless. You're in a haunted house, fool; it's probably a skeleton chained to the wall, not Shaggy having silently entered and plopped down for a rest. Apparently Velma's intelligence was tied to her glasses, because she became a bit of a dunce whenever they fell off.

I had forgotten that Fred was generally referred to as Freddy.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2011 @ 5:29 AM

I don't remember this bothering me as a child, but it drove me nuts every time Velma lost her glasses. I don't know why this example of repetitiveness bothers me when the rest don't, but every time she said, "I lost my glasses! I can't see without them," I rolled my eyes.

There's actually a story behind that. Voice actress Nicole Jaffe (Velma's original VA) was doing an early run through with the script when her glasses fell off. She started calling out to the director, "My glasses! I can't see without them!". Shortly afterward it was incorporated into the character and became a common gag in the early years.

Soulonfire

Soulonfire

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 12:49 AM

The Ghost Clown seems freaky to me not because he's a clown, but because he looks like a pedophile. Something about the funky hairdo and hunched over way of standing.

Now, maybe someone can help with this. I saw the first live action film in the theater with my wife. We both swear that in the version we saw, Scrappy was straight up killed off. He was thrown into the pit thing at the end and that was it. However, we've seen it on TV a few times since and it ends with Scrappy being arrested. Were there two versions of the ending? Or are we just getting old and senile?

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 4:42 AM

We both swear that in the version we saw, Scrappy was straight up killed off. He was thrown into the pit thing at the end and that was it. However, we've seen it on TV a few times since and it ends with Scrappy being arrested. Were there two versions of the ending? Or are we just getting old and senile?

Scrappy didn't end up in the pit. He lost the souls that were empowering him and he shrunk down to size. He tried to charm Scooby afterwards, who pushed him aside with his finger (well, his toe since it was a paw!). He was indeed rounded up with the other baddies and taken to prison. Maybe you're confusing the scene with the guy who fell through the glass skylight (courtesy of Daphne).

BTW, we have threads for movie discussions here.

Soulonfire

Soulonfire

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 5:39 PM

Thanks for the clarification and the link.

My three year old daughter is addicted to the original series. As a result, we keep watching the same four episodes they have on Cartoon Network on demand and it's let me notice things I never really paid attention to. Like characters in different episodes having the same voice, some mildly racist overtones, and even some recycled lines.

Also, at the end of a couple episodes (I think the Night of Fright episode is one), a bone comes floating out of nowhere with no explanation. I guess there really were some supernatural shenanigans going on.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 9:12 PM

Isn't it amazing that after forty years, Scooby Doo is more popular than ever? I doubt the creators of the show expected this when it first aired.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2011 @ 10:49 PM

some mildly racist overtones

I think that's a bit of an understatement! I cringed at quite a few things I didn't notice as a child, which was disappointing.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

I just started watching my DVDs (made from a friend's old tapes of what seem to be the uncut episodes) of The New Scooby-Doo Movies, and remembered how much I hate the Three Stooges episode. There is also a glaring mistake in that one: Velma is missing so everyone sets off to look for her, yet the next shot shows Velma right there walking with the rest of the gang. Then there's a scene of her alone, with an odd line that sounds as if she's looking for someone who disappeared, rather than being the one who disappeared.

I still enjoy the original, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? incarnation best, but I like this one a lot and am enjoying revisiting it all these years later. I think only a "Best of" collection has been released.

emdroberts

emdroberts

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 2:49 AM

My 4 year old has fallen completely in love with Scooby Doo so I have been getting her the $5 DVDs at Target. And I can safely say, the newer Scooby Doos get on my nerves on the 800th viewing. The original ones do not.

And that stupid Witches Ghost movie where they totally don't understand what a Wiccan is really pisses me off everytime I have to watch it. Ugh.

But I also bought the Harlem Globetrotters and Batman & Robin episodes and they always bring me great joy. I just need to find the Josie and the Pussycats, Mama Cass, Don Knotts and Sonny & Cher episodes and my life will be complete.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 3:52 AM

They joined up with Josie and her crew once? I never knew that! When?

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 4:46 AM

They joined up with Josie and her crew once? I never knew that! When?

Back in 1973 during the "New Scooby Doo Movies" incarnation. They came across the Pussycats who were hired to play a gig on "The Haunted Showboat". The ep just ran 2 days ago on Boomerang!

Purists claim the meeting shouldn't have happened because "Josie & The Pussycats in Outer Space" was airing at that time but, as someone who never liked that incarnationation of Josie, I'm fine with it.

Several of the eps of NSDM are on DVD except for ones with the rights tied up such as the ep in which the gang meets Sonny & Cher.

I also bought ....... [the] Batman & Robin episodes

Did you see the Batman:The Brave & The Bold episode in which they effectively recreated the B&R crossovers? It's hilarious!!

Edited by magicdog, Feb 29, 2012 @ 4:53 AM.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

Several of the eps of NSDM are on DVD except for ones with the rights tied up such as the ep in which the gang meets Sonny & Cher.

I just watched the Sonny & Cher episode last night. That's one of my favorites, as is the Addams Family episode. In my childhood memories, I have the Harlem Globetrotters episodes all mixed together, so it will be interesting to go back and watch each of them. We'll see as I go through the DVDs, but I think the only episodes from that era I actively disliked were the ones with the Three Stooges. (And it's not just because I didn't watch the Stooges, as I didn't watch Batman, Josie and the Pussycats, Speedbuggy or The Monkees, either, yet I liked those episodes.)

Edited by Bastet Esq, Feb 29, 2012 @ 2:42 PM.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

I didn't watch Batman, Josie and the Pussycats, Speedbuggy or The Monkees, either, yet I liked those episodes

It wasn't the Monkees, just Davy Jones. Sadly, I just found out he passed away today of a heart attack :0(

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

This song will always be my happy place.

RIP Davy

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 5:49 PM

State Farm has teamed with Scooby Doo to take the mystery out of insurance!

The whole gang

Shag loses his appetite!

Scooby needs to talk to a live representative

These were posted back in October but I hadn't seen them until the first one aired a few days ago.  Hilarious! 

Scooby seems to have made up with Scrappy by the looks of that photo in the last video!