The Weird Wild World of Sid & Marty Kroft

• Please log in to reply

88 replies to this topic

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2004 @ 6:24 PM

Couldn't believe it last night when I flipped past "Nick at Night" and saw the Bugaloo's & HR Puff-N-Stuff. Is it just me or were there some MAJOR drugs going on there?

Also, did the Kroft boys also do the Bannana Splits show? (Tra-la-la...)

Sincerity

Sincerity

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2004 @ 8:00 PM

I saw a DVD of "H.R. Pufnstuf" at Suncoast when I was buying my copy of s3 "Angel", and I was SO TEMPTED to buy it. I wasn't even a glimmer in my father's eye when it was on television, but I've seen it on, like, Nick at Nite and such. There were some serious drugs there. Heavy drugs.

Glark

Glark

Posted Feb 19, 2004 @ 10:19 PM

You have to check out Mr. Show's parody skit "The Altered States of Drugachusetts". Spot on.

ubi

ubi

Posted Feb 20, 2004 @ 10:51 AM

I was thinking abut adding this topic last night but drew a blank on what to say. Seriously, HR Puff-N-Stuff is one of the first TV shows I remember watching, besides the original Superfriends and a "Saturday Morning at the Movies" show featuring a cartoon about this guy who kidnapped all the comic strip characters (Superman, Blondie and Dagwood, B.C., Dennis the Menace, etc) and imprisoned them somewhere.

There was this 'zine (sadly out of print) put out by the creators of Film Threat who wrote this hysterical article which gave a Freudian analysys of all their toons that cracked my shit up. I remember Puff-N-Stuff was described as containing some sort of penis-envy/castration theme and Sigmund and the Sea Monster was about repressed homosexuality. Heh.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2004 @ 6:18 PM

How sad is it that I can remember most of the theme songs from those shows?

Marshall, Will and Holly - on a routine expedition......

Albino Girl

Albino Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

I think one of the biggest reasons that I could never watch "Full House" was that the infant Olsen twins looked WAAAAAYYYY too much like H. R. Puffenstuff which totally creeped me out. I kept expecting Witchie Poo to show up looking for that damn talking flute. (Well, that and the fact that it was a generally crap show)

also, Yeah! Marshall, Will and Holly and the Sleezstacks!! And the little Chewbacca mini-me....What was his name? Tremendous production values on that show, though. I do remember that. Apparently all of the budget was spent on (cough)supplies(cough) for the writer's meetings....

(Edited for spelling/typing errors)

Edited by Albino Girl, Feb 22, 2004 @ 5:23 PM.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 10:30 PM

I think one of the biggest reasons that I could never watch "Full House" was that the infant Olsen twins looked WAAAAAYYYY too much like H. R. Puffenstuff which totally creeped me out.

I'll never look at them the same way again.....

Apparently all of the budget was spent on (cough)supplies(cough) for the writer's meetings....

BWAH!!!

Just don't try to watch on a night when you have been drinking - those shows really mess with your head!

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 10:50 PM

I had heard about the infamous Lidsville, but never seen it until this marathon. Holy hallucinogens Batman! I tried to explain it to my friend as hats who live in hats. She was reading me the article in last Sunday's New York Times (no longer available on the the website) that reviewed the shows and expounded on the insanity. We busted out into the theme song from The Bugaloos together. Ah, childhood memories.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 11:19 PM

Love your name - am I wrong or is that from Wonka?

How does the song from the 'Bugaloos' go? I remember praying that it would be the 'selection', each afternoon after school, but always ended up with 'Land of the Lost'. Then I watched it the other night and realized that it has been a LONG time since I had seen that show. It's really bad. But I do love "Funky Rat". I'll have to think about that when naming my next dog....

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 10:05 AM

Dahl, yes. I always loved the name, and creatures who can munch on people without any mouths.

The Bugaloos
The Bugaloos
We're in the air and everywhere
Flying high
Flying free
Flying free as a summer breeze
(I think)
The Bugaloos
The Bugaloos
We're in the air and everywhere

How sad I remember that after um, too many years.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 10:42 AM

Thanks for the 'lyrics'!
Now I can't get the song out of my head. Of course it is better than 'Ballroom Blitz' that was stuck there from too many viewings of that stupid car commercial from the SuperBowl.

We've named Puff-n-Stuff, Bugaloos, Lidsville, Sigmund & Land of the Lost, how many other shows were there?

dchmello

dchmello

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 3:07 PM

And the little Chewbacca mini-me....What was his name?

Chaka!

ArthurCurry

ArthurCurry

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 3:46 PM

Well, if I remember correctly, there was also:

The Lost Saucer (Jim Nabors. Ruth Buzzi. The mind boggles.)
Far-Out Space Nuts (Gilligan and Not-the-Skipper. In Spaaaaaace.)
Wonderbug (Dune Buggy has secret identity.)
Big Foot and Wild Boy (I THINK this was Kroft; lots of jumping.)
Dr. Shrinker (He's a madman with an evil mind.)
and, my favorite, the one that warmed my heart to see again during that Kroft Special: Electra-Woman and Dyna-Girl. Ah, the special effects miracle that is Chroma-Key.

Many of these were featured on the Kroft SuperShow, which was hosted by Kaptain Kool and the Kongs, a "rock" "group." Makeup, tights, overalls, berets, rainbow pins, embroidered stars. Basically: everything that was wrong with the 70s distilled to its toxic essence.

Viz: Captain Kool was played by a young man who would go on to appear as a regular, Michael, on One Day at Time.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 4:25 PM

That description of Kaptain Kool and the Kongs could just as easily be for the Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show. And God, am I ashamed I remember that.

The Lost Saucer, featuring the dorse, a half dog half horse who was played by a guy in a bad costume forced to run around on his hands and knees. Bet you that doesn't appear on his resume. This seems to list all the shows. Personally, I find the idea of an HR Pufnstuf movie frightening.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 5:02 PM

Electra-Woman and Dyna-Girl

Wasn't "Electra-Woman" Dierdre Hall (Marlena on DOOL)?

ubi

ubi

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 10:29 PM

Yes, that was her.

ETA: Weren't there rumours about WB (or UPN?) wanting to make an Electra-Woman and DynaGirl TV series?

Edited by ubi, Feb 24, 2004 @ 8:58 AM.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 6:42 PM

Weren't there rumours about WB (or UPN?) wanting to make an Electra-Woman and DynaGirl TV series?

But 'technology' would ruin this show!

What were the things that lived in the cave on "Land of the Lost".
Scared the be-jeezus outta me!

Edited by PostToastie, Mar 3, 2004 @ 4:41 PM.

kellygirl

kellygirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2004 @ 9:22 AM

Also, did the Kroft boys also do the Bannana Splits show? (Tra-la-la...)

I think they did the costumes and sets but that was the extent of their involvement.

Ruby Trample of Woody End

Ruby Trample of Woody End

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2004 @ 10:52 AM

God but I lurve me some Kroft shows. Puffinstuff and Sigmund were my faves, but the Bugaloos and Land of the Lost followed closely.

This has got to be some sort of explination why I am the way I am now.

Too much Kroft.

Sleestak Hunter

Sleestak Hunter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2004 @ 8:19 PM

PostToastie

What were the things that lived in the cave on "Land of the Lost". Scared the be-jeezus outta me!

Those, my dear friend, were Sleestak! I hates 'em!!! I hates 'em ALL!

Well, OK. Enik was cool (the brown one who could talk)- but he was a Sleestak from the Sleestak Future. The green meanies were prehistoric Sleestak (like how Cha-ka, Sa & Ta were prehistoric humans). I think later in the series there was a Sleestak Leader who could talk- but I had moved on to other TV shows by then.

But, I'll never forget those words scrawled on that cave wall: 'Beware of Sleestak'!

ETA: Ruby Trample of Woody End

This has got to be some sort of explination why I am the way I am now. Too much Kroft.

I understand completely. I really do.

Edited by Sleestak Hunter, Mar 4, 2004 @ 8:25 PM.

YME

YME

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2004 @ 8:52 PM

snip

Edited by YME, Feb 14, 2005 @ 8:39 PM.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2004 @ 9:30 AM

Sleestacks!
Thanks! I would have never remembered that. They were creepy!

Sleestak Hunter

Sleestak Hunter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2004 @ 11:44 AM

WOW! YME, I did miss that pivitol episode. Or I've simply erased it from my brain.

Sid & Marty Krofft were my drugs before, y'know, I discovered drugs.

Or it happened in the later years when Rick left & Uncle Jack showed up.

Thanks for the 411! Poor Enik. When I was a kid, we used to play LotL outside in the suburbs of South Charleston, West Virginia. I was always Enik.

We used buckeyes we found in the little wooded area behind the house as those freaky 'crystals'. We also had a creek/storm drain that had a system of square, concrete tunnels in some places. Just big enough to walk through (if you were a 9 year old & you hunched over). I would write 'Beware of Sleestak' on the insides of the tunnels with chalk. Awesome.

Edited by Sleestak Hunter, Mar 5, 2004 @ 11:49 AM.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2004 @ 12:58 PM

I would write 'Beware of Sleestak' on the insides of the tunnels with chalk. Awesome.

I bet you freaked the shit out of the poor kids who were the next ones in the tunnels!

My friends and I were nerds, I guess. We played 'Bugaloos'. Wusses....

Sleestak Hunter

Sleestak Hunter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2004 @ 1:20 PM

I bet you freaked the shit out of the poor kids who were the next ones in the tunnels! PostToastie

Hey, I was just trying to be helpful. heh-heh.

My friends and I were nerds, I guess. We played 'Bugaloos'. Wusses....

You were in the air and everywhere! Now, if you had played Lidsville, then I might be worried ; )

febutterfly

febutterfly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 5, 2004 @ 9:57 PM

OMG Land of the Lost rocked! I always thought Holly was a little whiny, though (and I was in first grade!). I always wished the dinosaur would just eat her, already.

The Sleestacks were a little scary (that hissing thing they did spooked me a bit), but Chaka freaked me out. Hah-ree! Hah-ree!

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 1:49 PM

I always thought Holly was a little whiny, though (and I was in first grade!). I always wished the dinosaur would just eat her, already.

I noticed that when I watched the other night. She has HUGE teeth too.
And I guess she was alot older than the kid she was playing or something because they did this really weird orange make up job on her so when she finally shut her mouth, she looked like Ernie from Sesame Street.

Sleestak Hunter

Sleestak Hunter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 2:07 PM

The thing I remember most about Holly was how smokin' hot her grownup future-self was in that one ep.

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 12:52 AM

Anybody know what happened to Jack Wild? I saw him years later as a grown up in an Masterpiece Theatre Charles Dickens thingy, but that's been it.

JRT

JRT

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 11:28 AM

ETA: Weren't there rumours about WB (or UPN?) wanting to make an Electra-Woman and DynaGirl TV series?

Actually, they made a for-execs only pilot...which I have actually seen when a friend of mine borrowed a bootleg from a friend. It started Markie Post as an older Electra-Woman--and Anne Stedman as a new Dyna-Girl. The concept was Electra-Woman had retired from being a super-hero and was living in a trailer-park, while a girl who was young and rescued by her ends up getting her back into the business and becomes the new Dyna-Girl (the old one became a supermodel).

I think they just wanted to use the concept--not much "continuity" to the old show, costumes were different, the show was more risque and when EW actually got back into the crime-fighting business, she actually beat up the criminals (which never happened on the old show, no physical punchings like on Batman).

You can see pics here of the mini-pilot which come from this framed web site.