Real Time with Bill Maher

• Please log in to reply

7216 replies to this topic

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2004 @ 8:33 AM

As the camera pulled back at the end, after Maher's (dead-on) tirade about American's not watching the convention, the seat Rep. Dreier was sitting in? Empty. Guess he didn't like getting picked on by everyone else. Yeah, pick up your ball and go home. That'll show em! Bah. What an asshat.

Word. I guess he's used to appearing on television talk shows that allow his opinion to go unchallenged. When Michael Moore asked him if he had seen F-9/11, and he said "no," yet kept saying how it had been "roundly debunked,"(one of the GOP talking points about the film, christ, how many times have I heard that) his asshatedness had been solidified. I certainly don't mind someone criticizing the film -- so long as they've seen it. It'd be like Elvis Mitchell reviewing a film based only on its trailer he'd seen on TV.

I'm a bit amazed by the Kim Campbell love. Up in Canada, she's a bit of a joke.

That's interesting. I've no knowledge of Canadian politics but just kind of figured after she made that impassioned and pretty dead-on point to Nader about how third-parties work for the people in Canada, that she was one smart cookie. I'll have to google her and see what the whole deal is.

I think Maher is an awesome host. He lets everyone speak and not get too nasty -- he even chastised the audience last night who reacted to Moore's eye rolling to Dreier by boo'ing the guy. Granted Dreier was a humorless asshat, but he did deserve to be heard.

Elrhino

Elrhino

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2004 @ 8:44 AM

The most interesting part of this show for me? As the camera pulled back at the end, after Maher's (dead-on) tirade about American's not watching the convention, the seat Rep. Dreier was sitting in? Empty. Guess he didn't like getting picked on by everyone else. Yeah, pick up your ball and go home. That'll show em! Bah. What an asshat.

All the more asshatedness of the "I'm taking my ball and going home, hmpf" act is that it was HE who came out with guns ablazing taking jabs at Moore for the very begining. The very first two things out of his mouth were he was going to convert Moore to Republican and some glib remark about how Moore didn't get microphone time at the DNC (Yeah, like the Republicans are going to give any microphone time to Pat Robertson). Hey homey, if youz gonna to step up to the mike, don't act like a punk when you GETZ SERVED !!!!

Csondra

Csondra

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2004 @ 9:58 AM

That's interesting. I've no knowledge of Canadian politics but just kind of figured after she made that impassioned and pretty dead-on point to Nader about how third-parties work for the people in Canada, that she was one smart cookie. I'll have to google her and see what the whole deal is.

Yeah, me too. I really like what she had to say last night, but I'll have to look her up. I'd hate to think I'm singing the praises of this woman if she's out there openly killing puppies or something. Boy, if she turns out to be an ass I'm gonna feel like such an idiot.

Am I the only one who's jaw dropped with horror when Drier announced he'd been backstage talking to Andre3000? I felt so bad for Andre. I think it's terrible to waste your vote, but no one deserves THAT as punishment.

Edited by Csondra, Jul 31, 2004 @ 10:15 AM.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2004 @ 12:34 PM

I didn't mean to say that Campbell was an idiot. And our Conservative party has its lunatics (especially nowadays) but there seemed to be a more concerted effort (at times) to live up to the Compassionate Conservative cause. Ideologically speaking, she seemed to be more to the centre than to the right of her party. Politically, she was in a party whose previous leader was generally loathed and she made some real PR blunders.

Here's a biography.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 9:37 AM

I hope Bill did manage to get Andre 3000 really riled up (about Sharpton and voting)

I watched the rerun of the show last night because it was just sooo good, and I kind of got the impression that when Bill was bantering with Andre3000 in the beginning that Andre looked pretty lost and couldn't really answer the questions Bill asked him. Then Bill let him go by saying, "Please continue to make records," or some snarky thing like that. Not that that diminishes my love for Andre, but I think he might be in a little over his head.

Am I the only one who's jaw dropped with horror when Drier announced he'd been backstage talking to Andre3000? I felt so bad for Andre. I think it's terrible to waste your vote, but no one deserves THAT as punishment

Word.

I didn't mean to say that Campbell was an idiot.

No implication taken, memememe76. I'm grateful that someone lends background to a guest with whom I've no other knowledge than what I see on the screen. (Kind of like watching Al Sharpton speak and having no prior knowledge that in the passing years he has mellowed in his tone and manner somewhat, too.) I read the link, thanks! One of the funny and intersting things from it:

She was born Avril Phaedra Douglas Campbell, but was not particularly fond of any of her given names, and consequently adopted the first name Kim in her teens.

Hee! "Avril? Hate it. Phaedra? Hate it? Douglas? Ehh...not a dude...think I'll just go with...Kate, Karen, nah...Kim! Yeah! Kim!"

sunburst

sunburst

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 10:22 AM

I was a youngin' during the Campbell era (12?) so my memories are a little fuzzy. But aside from the joke-that-wasn't-all-that funny imitation of Chretien (and his facial paralyzation), my politics prof in first year university said he believed her major downfall came A) because she came in after Mulroney, and Canadians were sick of the PCs, and B) because she spoke the truth about the economy and it didn't go over well. IIRC, she stated something about how it was going to be at least 5 or so years before the economy rebounded because of the ties to the world and American economies - which proved true, but people didn't like hearing it from the prime minister.

I don't know. I was too young to remember, but in the present climate, I'm willing to give snaps to any politician willing to be honest about anything. Even if she was a -*spit*- Conservative.

More on topic - I've never been able to catch this show... can we get it in Canada? Or do I have to resort to... more unsavoury means?

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 1:11 PM

I believe this show is on HBO, right? And we don't get HBO. Boo! CTV should purchase the rights to this show and air it on Friday nights, since The Daily Show isn't on.

Jazper

Jazper

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 1:18 PM

When Bill Maher and Michael Moore dropped to their knees and begged Nader not to run, I just jumped out of my skin with that "right on" feeling. I got a good chuckle out of that presidential mannerism/giving a midget a prostate exam bit, too. I don't care what anyone says, Bill Maher is SO the man sometimes.

Edited by Jazper, Aug 1, 2004 @ 1:19 PM.

Csondra

Csondra

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 5:49 PM

Hee! "Avril? Hate it. Phaedra? Hate it? Douglas? Ehh...not a dude...think I'll just go with...Kate, Karen, nah...Kim! Yeah! Kim!"

Heh. I got that too. The best part of that, for me, is that I knew a girl in HS named Kim that changed her name to Phoebe because Kim was too common. Heh.

Anyhoo, thanks for the all the info on Campbell. Heh, if she's what passes for conservative in Canada? I know where I'm moving. (Sorry, don't know much about Canadian politics- not that I'm not open to learning as much as possible- but it amused me to find out she'd be considered in any way conservative considering her reactions on the show.)

Wu Kong

Wu Kong

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 1, 2004 @ 10:48 PM

Regarding Campbell and Canadian politics (and keep in mind that this is my probably biased interpretation):

Back in the day (80s) the three major parties were the Liberal party (pretty centrist), the New Democratic Party (left of centre) and the Progressive Conservatives (right of centre). In recent years, the Reform party rose out of Western Canada (kind of like the American South) with a more conservative platform. The two parties effectively split a lot of the conservative votes in the country, which let the Liberals lead pretty much uninterrupted for a long while. They recently merged to form the new Conservative party -- a much more conservative incarnation than it used to be. In hindsight, the PC party was not that bad -- especially compared to the current state of Republicans in the U.S. or even the current Conservative party in Canada.

Anyways, enough on Canadian politics -- loved seeing Bill Maher back on the air, and thought he made a great point about people watching the conventions. Here's to hoping he has Jon Stewart as a guest soon!

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 1:08 AM

Color me (somewhat) surprised that Canada doesn't have any (!) nukes. Okay, so I know they aren't a "power" when it comes to the things, but I thought they might have at least one or two sitting around "just in case".

Right now, although on the face of it, it would make political sense for Nader get out of the race, I'm kind of aprehensive about it. If he endorsed Kerry...because he'd almost have to...wouldn't that incite more dyed in the wool conservatives to come out to vote for Bush? Well it's all speculation at this point (but that begging-on-their-knees bit while Campbell tried to use...er...logic to persuade him was some GOLD!).

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 1:35 AM

As the camera pulled back at the end, after Maher's (dead-on) tirade about American's not watching the convention, the seat Rep. Dreier was sitting in? Empty. Guess he didn't like getting picked on by everyone else. Yeah, pick up your ball and go home

My interpretation is that Drier was so unhinged by Maher and Moore's fierce defense of liberalism that when he saw the two approach Nader on their knees, he feared that they would go down on Nader thus publically linking him, Dreir, to the politically lethal homosexual lifestyle.

HiQ

HiQ

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 12:38 PM

HEHE! To all your posts... I had forgotten about the premiere until last night but I'm glad I got to see it. Poor Dreier. I almost felt sorry for him...almost. I'm glad that he's (Mahar) gotten rid of all the extraneous stuff and is concentrating on the guests. Well, almost all of the extraneous stuff. That Andre 3000 piece was stupid. I'm glad the guy is voting and all, but he seems rather vacuous.

I Like Cheese

I Like Cheese

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 12:42 PM

This is one of my absoluate favorite news shows and I'm so glad it was back. Obviously Drier was a huge asshat. I didn't think he started so bad, but if you are going to make an argument over one of the most popular films of the year with the director on the panel, then WATCH IT YOU DUMBASS! Either that, or just sit back during the Farenheit debates. What a jerk.

The best part for me was the "Flip-flop" metaphors Moore kept throwing out. I think this is one of those Republican lines that keeps getting repeated over and over, but if you actually ask someone, they can't give you the specifics. Bill started to say that "the bill was changed," which is true and the reason why Kerry changed his mind, but then got drowned out. Why won't anyone make this point?!?! The funding originally was going to come from the "rich-people" tax breaks (Kerry wanted to vote yes) and then was changed to the American taxpayers (Kerry voted no). No one mentions this small detail and it makes all the difference. I really liked how they were equating this flip-flop mentality to simply learning more and having different opinions. Because it's true!

(off soapbox now)

Anyways, Moore was right on, Campbell was great, Drier was an idot, and I still heart Bill. (Let's tune up that opening monologue, though. Eek!)

kayobe

kayobe

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 12:44 PM

I really miss Politically Incorrect. This show is an 'ok' replacement for me.

I agree, Andre seemed so over his head in the first segment. Bill was trying to get him riled up and excited about his new role and he just wouldn't bite. I give him major props for getting out there and encouraging young adults to vote.

I can't wait for Ann-orexic Coulter-geist to show up. Boy do I loathe that women. But she does make for good tv.

There was another PI guest that was great for the snark too... some bible-banging-virgin young woman with dark hair. Heck, I hope he enlists all his snark worthy right wing religious enthusiasts on.

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 1:56 PM

Yes, I can't remember her name either, but I do miss Lakita Garth.

{Google sub-result: Oh my. There is actually a group called "Tradition, Family and Property!}

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 2:58 PM

There was another PI guest that was great for the snark too... some bible-banging-virgin young woman with dark hair.

Her deal was that she was saving herself for the right man but my grandmother, who doesn't remember her name either, swears that she suffered from a morbid fear of sexual intercourse.

colagirl

colagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2004 @ 3:14 PM

I'm glad Bill is back - and all the way through the election too.

Andre seemed so over his head in the first segment. Bill was trying to get him riled up and excited about his new role and he just wouldn't bite. I give him major props for getting out there and encouraging young adults to vote.

I give Andre credit for his voting campaign, but I thought this segment was really lame. He didn't seem to know how to respond to Bill's questions about Al Sharpton.

I can't remember the name of that "Bible-thumping" virgin either - she has not ever been a guest on Bill's HBO show, although she appeared frequently on "PI." I wonder if she objects to the profanity on HBO?

I'm editing because I did a quick search on that guest - her name is Christine O'Donnell. Here's a link that describes her work/mission:

http://www.political...illette_018.htm

Edited by colagirl, Aug 2, 2004 @ 3:18 PM.

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2004 @ 3:41 AM

I can't wait for Ann-orexic Coulter-geist to show up. Boy do I loathe that women. But she does make for good tv.

Heh. Great nicknames for the frothing beast. I, however, hope to never have to lay eyes or ears on her again. I always wondered why Bill had her on PI all the time. There's sticking to your convictions, and then there's barking, guana-shit mad. She crossed the line constantly.

I haven't seen Real Time before--it was very entertaining. I'm from Colorado, and seeing Gov. Owens was pretty disturbing. (Colo. used to have such cool governors; Romer, Dick Lamm.) I wanted someone to ask him about cutting 4 million dollars from the Denver Public Library funding, but I guess it's off-topic.

Loved the way Bill wouldn't let either of the flaming conservatives slide about the infamous 'Seven Minutes.' Honestly, I don't know how anyone can defend that response. But of course, Dreier hadn't seen the clip, because he hadn't seen Fahrenheit, so he was talking out of his ass(hat).

The Nader-begging was priceless. Too bad it didn't work.

So when is this on first-run?

SnippyScholar

SnippyScholar

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2004 @ 3:58 PM

I always wondered why Bill had her on PI all the time.

Me, too. But she hasn't been on in some time. I like to take credit for that. Heh-heh. After the putrid stick wrote that column calling Max Cleland a coward, I sent an e-mail to the show to say that Bill shouldn't give that crackpot little fascist any airtime. I know he has great respect for Cleland.

I wonder if Coulter has gone too far even for Bill, and that's why we haven't seen her on the show. I think I would actually stop watching Real Time altogether--even though I enjoy it more than just about anything--if she showed up again. She just throws my psyche into disarray.

Elrhino

Elrhino

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2004 @ 5:42 PM

Wasn't a guest Coulter on the final PCI episode? I seem to remember her being on the final show that included his closest friends (Huffington).

Anyway, I remember a quote from Maher that stated somethig along the lines of "Ann Coulter is a woman of amazing intellect .... when she isn't acting like a raving Nazi".

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Aug 5, 2004 @ 6:52 PM

Wasn't a guest Coulter on the final PCI episode?   I seem to remember her being on the final show that included his closest friends (Huffington).

Yup.

Edited by Ingresgumball, Aug 6, 2004 @ 3:04 PM.

SnippyScholar

SnippyScholar

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 10:44 AM

Oops. I meant to say, we haven't seen her on Real TIme in a while.

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Aug 6, 2004 @ 3:05 PM

She just throws my psyche into disarray.

Exactly, me too. Though I suffer from chronic low blood pressure, so her existence can be justified somewhat, for medical reasons.

After the putrid stick wrote that column calling Max Cleland a coward, I sent an e-mail to the show to say that Bill shouldn't give that crackpot little fascist any airtime. I know he has great respect for Cleland.

She is taking a page from Rove, who managed to compare McCain to Bush and make the former POW look like a draftdodger!

I can't remember which guests were so abhorrent to Bill that he would never consider their return. Oh, except the pyjama-clad guest (what did they call those man-in-the-street guests?).

So for those us us without zee HBO, do we expect any DVDs of the show?

Edited by Ingresgumball, Aug 7, 2004 @ 2:22 PM.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2004 @ 9:45 AM

Though, IMO, Bob Barr is a douche, there were times during last night's episode where I found him to be pretty funny and interesting. That being said, however, he had to get off the "corn" act and the Steve Harvey's Cousin Needs a Job act -- dude, you're not a comedian. Leave it to the professionals.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 9:43 AM

Bill was on a tear last night. Pretty good stuff, most of it. DJ acquitted himself well. I sort of like the "folksy" black INTELLIGENT personas...though sometimes I wonder how seriously the viewers take them, unfortunately. Michele seems to be the new "Ann" this season. I missed the first part of the show so I'll have to catch that later in the week. I don't know why I just noticed that 1/2 of Rahm Emanual's middle finger on his right hand is missing...I wonder what happened?

My only complaint was Maureen Dowd. I haven't read a lot of her stuff, but she was a real bump on the proverbial log for most of her appearance, which was a shame because she did a great job on the Diane Rehm show earlier in the day. She's a nice-lookin' woman, it's too bad she can't get a date nowadays. Did you know the Bushies revoked her press pass out of spite because she's criticized the President in her columns? Another reason to hate the bastards.

Hibernator

Hibernator

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 9:52 AM

Michele is definitely an Ann Coulter wanna-be. I find her columns irritating, because she is so angry, shrill, and right-wing. Found her irritating on the show as well, but at least she loosened up enough to laugh at Bill's jokes by the end. That slightly lessened my urge to slap her.

I was a little surprised that Maureen Dowd was so inhibited ... she seemed pretty uncomfortable. It probably is more difficult to talk expressively to a monitor, rather than a real person!

Donatella

Donatella

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2004 @ 11:18 AM

I know it's just rumor, but Maureen Dowd is supposed to be dating Aaron Sorkin now.

LolaLaRue

LolaLaRue

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 1:33 AM

Michele is definitely an Ann Coulter wanna-be. ... Found her irritating on the show as well, but at least she loosened up enough to laugh at Bill's jokes by the end. That slightly lessened my urge to slap her.

Her whiny "Can I finish my sentence?" to the audience made me want to slap her even after seeing her crack up at Bill's jokes.

I don't know why I just noticed that 1/2 of Rahm Emanual's middle finger on his right hand is missing...I wonder what happened?

I noticed it as well, but only after hitting rewind on the TiVo to see what the hell Michele was staring at.

brillia79

brillia79

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2004 @ 4:10 AM

There was another PI guest that was great for the snark too... some bible-banging-virgin young woman with dark hair.

I believe her name is Christine O'Donnell. She was president of the SALT (The Savior's Alliance For Lifting The Truth)