Real Time with Bill Maher

• Please log in to reply

7219 replies to this topic

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 4:22 PM

Bill is going to tape an HBO special at the Warner Theatre in DC on Sept 12.  Tickets go on sale tomorrow. 

SHUT UP! Really? I work in DC! Woohoo! so going to buy tickets!

luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 6:28 AM

That Pussy Riot interview was excruciating to watch...weaker episode overall.

solikemybeth

solikemybeth

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 9:08 AM

That Pussy Riot interview was excruciating to watch...weaker episode overall.

Did it ever end?  I fell asleep.  

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 9:28 AM

Maybe I'm just stupid, but how were they (Pussy Riot) able to understand Bill's questions (I didn't hear anyone translating them), yet able to provide answers via their translator?

But yeah, excruciating was right. The whole show was a fuck up. Rob Lowe's only use was to sit there and look pretty.

The woman annoyed me to no end. I couldn't understand just what her stance was, and she couldn't complete a single thought. Would start a sentence, stutter, then start another sentence.

Less said about Duncan what'shisface the better. At least he stayed quiet for most of the show.

Taibbi was good, though admittedly, I fell asleep halfway through his segment. Gah.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 9:33 AM

I agree, the Pussy Riot interview was something I could have done without. I learned nothing from it. Weak panel, too. The Fair Pay Act discussion went nowhere, basically the entire panel agreed it ain't no thang.

Rob Lowe was useless. He played the Gary Shandling role, trying to make a joke out of everything. Annoying as hell. Also, on a shallow note, with the unnatural looking dyed hair styled to look like a 19 year old boy band member, I see someone desperately trying to hold onto his youth.

I did get a kick out of Ana Marie Cox saying ignorance is a proud American tradition but I disagree people are getting smarter. Idiocracy is fast approaching.

Love Matt Taibbi but even he couldn't save the show (and even Duncan Hunter had no argument against Too Big to Fail).

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 9:59 AM

I don't know about any of you, but my jaw about dropped to the floor when *Hunter said it was a bad thing if men and women got equal pay and that *Cox agreed with him on that. I was like WTF?

*Thanks imonrey for providing their names. Admittedly, I was half drunk when I was watching the show last night for totally different reasons.

And a question for you guys, maybe someone can tell stupid me? I thought that when one is fulfilled, that being fulfilled would also mean you're happy? Yet Cox spouted some bullshit about how Feminism wasn't about making one happy, and thus, she'd rather be fulfilled than happy? It was a mess of a statement, which just had me scratching my head, but then saying "Fuck It" because I.did.not.care. Since she wasn't able to string a single coherent sentence together. At least, that's how it came off to me.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 10:33 AM

Scorpiosrule - I was having a hard time figuring out what Cox was trying to say, and I wasn't half-drunk!  Maybe she read a synopsis of The Feminine Mystique and just remembered the keywords "happy" and "fulfillment".

You know, I had higher hopes for a future in the late 60s when a Mad Magazine sticker saying "NUKE GAY WHALES" was hilarious - now it belongs on Sarah Palin's bumper.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 10:45 AM

Scorpiosrule - I was having a hard time figuring out what Cox was trying to say, and I wasn't half-drunk!  Maybe she read a synopsis of The Feminine Mystique and just remembered the keywords "happy" and "fulfillment".

Heh. Glad to know that it wasn't just me then. Is it written in the show's contract or whatever, that when Bill has once decent show, it must be followed up by the most useless and moronic panels? I swear,I really do miss Politically Incorrect, even if the bad words were bleeped out, because I don't ever recall complaining about the guests on a weekly basis. Maybe it's because it's been so long, but I don't recall cross-talking, either. Maybe I'm just remembering through rose-colored glasses/memories or something.

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

I've seen Pussy Riot on other talk shows. I assume the two women are actually pretty fluent in English but are just self-concious about speaking and maybe using the wrong word(s). The challenge with them is that they are super serious (and rightly so after what they've been through) and talk show hosts keep trying to do jokey segments with them. And they must think American men are complete idiots to be giggling like 13-year-olds over the name Pussy Riot.

I just wish Bill would stop trying to cram so much into one hour. A monologue, opening interview, panel discussion, 2nd guest interview, New Rules, and his "joke" segment which brings everything to a grinding halt. Stick with one guest, a panel, and New Rules. The show will have amuch better flow of conversation.

Arkarian

Arkarian

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 12:14 PM

While I agree Pussy Riot are promoting awareness of and fighting a serious problem, that doesn't mean they don't have senses of humor. I think the women do find a lot of what Bill says funny, they just don't express it the way a typical American talk show guest might. After all, they came on the show again after doing it relatively recently.

Also, they say lots of funny things themselves! Not so much in this interview, but definitely in the last one. If they're ever on the show again, I'd be excited.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 12:16 PM

I know Bill isn't the most enlightened guy but putting his focus on the husband and how hard the imprisonment was on him blew me away. Really Bill? These women went to prison in Russia and you're worried about how the husband fared. Rob Lowe flirting with Pussy Riot was just weird and disturbing.

What a mess of a show. 

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 1:32 PM

Maybe I'm just stupid, but how were they (Pussy Riot) able to understand Bill's questions (I didn't hear anyone translating them), yet able to provide answers via their translator? 
I've seen Pussy Riot on other talk shows. I assume the two women are actually pretty fluent in English but are just self-concious about speaking and maybe using the wrong word(s).

Based on my experience, lots of people with English as a second language can understand it fine, but sometimes it takes time to translate "in their head" to answer back in English. Especially with a language that doesn't quite "correspond". So in a limited time segment it would be easier to just talk in Russian and have a translator. 

And, based on my *expertise*, anyone advocating the use of any form of nuclear weapon should be removed from office and institutionalized. That guy was stupid, moronic, an idiot, lower life form to even suggest it. And, dumbass, "sometimes power has to be met with power," is ridiculous, since, when we're talking about Iran and nukes, Israel and the USA put together a *computer virus* and fucked with their ability to enrich uranium. Asshole. While I am cautiously optimistic that Iran will get on board and neutralize their stockpile, I'm not naive, and we certainly should have things in place to thwart them from developing nukes, but one can do this with lots of technology like this virus. What a fucking idiot. I'm furious that people would seriously suggest the use of nuke. 

While this was a shitty show overall, there were some good points. Bill is quite right that we're arguing over the same damn issues over the last half-century: equal pay, evolution, women's choice, etc. It's getting tired. And it's getting worse because these ignorant tea party politicians just oppose everything. 

And the woman actually did make a good point; old methodologies from the cold war don't work anymore. Because the world is a far more complex place. So you have to come up with new ways to solve problems like Russia, or Iran.

Edited by ganesh, Apr 12, 2014 @ 1:34 PM.

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 3:52 PM

I thought that when one is fulfilled, that being fulfilled would also mean you're happy? Yet Cox spouted some bullshit about how Feminism wasn't about making one happy, and thus, she'd rather be fulfilled than happy?

I am not familiar with that guest, and I thought that she sometimes made intelligent points and she came across to me as an intelligent person, but she really flubbed this and it was painful.  Her response about being feminism being about allowing women to be fulfilled was a very narrow, elitist explanation.  Yes, feminism was and is about allowing women the freedom to fulfill their potential, whatever that might be for an individual, and thereby find fulfillment, which is an aspect of happiness.  But it would have been nice if she had also mentioned that it was about changing laws to protect women from sexual and domestic violence, and about enabling women to be financially self-sufficient so they are not dependent on men and subservient to them, and about the dignity of equality -- for poor women, blue collar women, and minority women, as well as elite, academically inclined women like herself who want "fulfillment."  I know the show's format moves quickly and spontaneously, but given that the show's topics also included income inequality and the criminal justice system, I was surprised she gave what sounded like such a strange, navel-gazing response.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 9:39 PM

Stephen Colbert did a far, far better job in interviewing Pussy Riot, and allowing their stong characteristics to shine, on The Colbert Report than anything Bill could have done last night.

GaryE

GaryE

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 9:58 PM

Was the interview set up the same way?

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 10:54 AM

And, dumbass, "sometimes power has to be met with power," is ridiculous, since, when we're talking about Iran and nukes, Israel and the USA put together a *computer virus* and fucked with their ability to enrich uranium.

Well he's obviously very hawkish, but to me what it comes down to is people who espouse this attitude are essentially saying "We need to show them how big our dicks are." It's the same with all the hawks saying Putin was emboldened by Obama's "weakness." There's an inherent need in war mongers to show the world we can kick anybody's ass.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 12:01 PM

Oh definitely. That's exactly it. Even though Putin probably didn't even think about Obama when he acted in Crimea. Even though the sanctions that the USA put in place is really laying in to the Russian economy.

That's why I also commented that the woman on the panel was correct in that we need new methodologies to solve what are becoming increasing complex problems. Like, we didn't have to invade Iran, fly a drone, or fire a shot to cripple their enrichment tech. To fail to see how important that is, is just ignorant on his part.

Vienna Woods

Vienna Woods

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 9:54 PM

I suspect that they were wearing earpieces, through which they could hear the simultaneous translations of an off-stage Russian interpreter.

I've seen translations done that way when a foreign guest appears on a television show.  With that means of translation, the viewing audience does not have to hear the questions being posed in the foreign language.  Also, a good simultaneous translator really will be able to speak virtually simultaneously with the speaker.

But Bill wasn't looking good with his silly "what's that?" interjections while the women were speaking Russian.

Yeah — Bill thinks that Russian people talk funny.

Edited by Vienna Woods, Apr 17, 2014 @ 9:57 PM.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 07:01 AM

I suspect that they were wearing earpieces, through which they could hear the simultaneous translations of an off-stage Russian interpreter.

Yeah, I was looking to see if I could detect those, but since I couldn't, hence my question.

Then again, I didn't realize that they'd been on this show before.

In short: I'm stupid.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 10:24 AM

I know Bill isn't the most enlightened guy but putting his focus on the husband and how hard the imprisonment was on him blew me away. Really Bill? These women went to prison in Russia and you're worried about how the husband fared. 

TA Please!  The man did have to go without sex.