Real Time with Bill Maher

• Please log in to reply

7216 replies to this topic

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 6:55 PM

I know it was a serious topic, but how did Maher manager not to make a single Bob Dylan crack during his interview with Robert Zimmerman?

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 12:48 AM

Panelists like Jamie Weinstein are why this show sucks so often. He's like every other Republican guest Bill has on the panel.

I assume that's the guy sitting on the far left? He needs to go back to the kids table. I did like when the historian directly addressed him and basically said, "do you even believe the shit you're saying?"

I thought the interview was pretty well done for Bill. I'm trying to figure out what Zimmerman is doing. Is he trying to say that the media tried to make this a racial issue, and that's wrong? Ok that's fine, but the fact is, someone got shot and killed. I liked Bill trying to pin him down on what exactly his "scrapes with the law were," and I did like the final conclusion: if guns weren't involved this would have been just some guy who got into a fight.

The panel wasn't great, but the adults weren't shouting over one another, and that's good enough for me. I liked that they talked about minimum wage. After the SOTU address when I heard on the news that people were actually bitching about raising the minimum wage, I was really confused. But it was summed up pretty well. Raise prices, people will pay more in the end.

I really like the end monologue. I grew up in a small town that was 99% catholic, and it was just as hypocritical then as now. My parents made me go through ccd and confirmation and honestly, execpt for confirmation year, it was a complete waste of my time. My friends and I as teens back then complained how useless it was, but now, my friends are mostly parents and their kids are going to church and doing ccd. I agree with Bill when he asks, why bother? These aren't super conservatives either. They support marriage equality, they complained about rich people not paying enough taxes, etc.

The fact is that any enterprise that excludes women almost always descends into sexual deviancy …. Show me any culture that is traditionally hostile to women and I will show you a culture that is screwed up.

There you go. How do you reconcile that? I want kids, I'm in my mid 30s now. There's no question that they wouldn't be anywhere near church, and I know it's going to cause a massive problem with my family. Why bother, really?

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 9:58 AM

What is ccd? The always give the same argument about the minimum wage.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 1:45 PM

ccd = catechism. It's also called Sunday school. When you get into junior high and high school, it's not on Sundays. What the kids who have to be raised catholic have to go through.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:17 PM

I didn't care much for this week's episode. The only highlights were Joel McHale and Bill's Catholicism rant at the end of New Rules.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

Oh I liked it, I loved Donna Brazille and Jon Meacham. Did anybody here escape church once they laid their feelings on the line?

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 11:06 PM

Your personal experiences with CCD are off-topic in this thread, so some posts have been deleted.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 1:38 PM

Bill is right about all-male enclaves always have problems and gave three good examples. Probably the only reason the armed forces haven't had quite the same bad rap, at least in terms of children, is that they aren't typically around children. But get them around women without power and we've seen how that turned out.

He also made good points about church and religion. Maybe it had a purpose hundreds, thousand or so years ago, when men had to control people and science was magic/miracles. But it doesn't have as much use these days. Even the community/social aspect of it isn't as necessary in our facebook/twitter generation.

Raising the minimum wage may raise prices, but its a raise for the poor that affects everyone, so its more progressive than regressive. Its why I wish that the whole food-service industry would change too, pay the servers a decent wage so they aren't subjected to the whims of who and how much someone decides to tip. Make the tip be an extra, rather than actually paying for the wage. So you have to raise food prices, if the food and service are good enough, people will still eat out.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 3:59 PM

What is ccd?

It stands for Confraternity of Christian Doctrine. It is a fancy term for catechism or Sunday school.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 8:51 PM

Maybe it had a purpose hundreds, thousand or so years ago, when men had to control people and science was magic/miracles. But it doesn't have as much use these days. Even the community/social aspect of it isn't as necessary in our facebook/twitter generation.

Yeah, I was going to say that too. The church also kept the calendar so you knew when to plant and harvest. I can't get past that the current pope covered up child abuse. Bill does a lot better job cutting down religion when he's not condescending and calling people stupid.

rhodaj

rhodaj

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 9:57 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about George Zimmerman's brother going on this "explanation" circuit, saying that, hey, we faced discrimination too.

I know how I feel about it—disgusted! Disgusted that he was on the show, digusted that Bill wasn't more confrontational but instead attempted to placate him, disgusted that he was portraying himself and his family as victims when it was his brother who hunted down and killed an innocent, unarmed kid.

Bill's finest moments are those when he's reading someone else's words. It's his writers who make Bill sound intelligent. Left to his own devices, he's a simpering, often misogynistic, boob.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 10:03 AM

I assumed he had grown, that he meant what he said about women and religion and the beekeeper outfits.

Paws

Paws

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 11:46 PM

I was only half paying attention, but I quite liked this p anel, even though Snoop was totally out of left field. Steve Schmidt may well be the only sane person left in the republican party.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 7:45 AM

Steve Schmidt may well be the only sane person left in the republican party.

And I couldn't help thinking that if he hasn't already been banished, he won't last the weekend in the party. He stated some hard truths that the GOP simply doesn't want to acknowledge.

In other stuff, Bill started to talk about the Time Magazine article in this week's edition about the costs of health care. I finished reading that article yesterday and would've like to have heard the opinion of the panel on what had been written, but in the only departure of discussion last night, Steve went on a talking point recitation that had nothing to do with Bill's question. Steve also went on long enough with his rant/talking point, that Bill didn't have the time to go back and re-direct the question. It was a shame (if you all have a chance - get a copy of the article on line or on the newsstand - it's an eye opener and not for the faint-hearted).

There was no yelling last night, which was good. I'm afraid Mehta was overwhelmed a bit by Gavin, whom I like a lot, but her point about racism was well taken.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 11:24 AM

Ugh, was there any reason for Snoop Lion to even be there? Aside from the fact that he must be where Bill gets his weed from? He added nothing to the conversation. They had a pretty decent panel and they had barely gotten started when Snoop came out and everything just came to a screeching halt. What a disappointment.

Gavin Newsom is so plastic I want desperately to hate him but damn, he wins me over every time. Even if he's all politics and show, he makes good points and so articulately.

I don't know why Bill keeps hammering away at the Pope and the Catholic church. Maybe it's because he was raised Catholic, but it all just seems so irrelevant to me, compared to other issues at hand.

NancyEss

NancyEss

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 1:42 PM

Bill could not keep his hands off of Snoop last night, to the point of distraction. Was he trying to get a body-contact high?

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 6:05 PM

New Rule: When you tell a joke to your audience, and your audience fails to laugh, you might want to consider the fact that your joke sucks - thus not trying to shame your audience into laughing at it, Bill!

I don't know why Bill keeps hammering away at the Pope and the Catholic church. Maybe it's because he was raised Catholic

That may well be the answer. Just check his recent tweets.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 7:58 PM

I don't know why Bill keeps hammering away at the Pope and the Catholic church. Maybe it's because he was raised Catholic, but it all just seems so irrelevant to me, compared to other issues at hand.

Well, relatively I suppose so. But a Pope hasn't resigned in 600+ years so it is news. The people running the catholic church are massively hypocritical and even criminal to an extent, so I don't mind Bill hammering away. The current pope was known to cover up child abuse. In Philly alone, over 30 priests were involved in child abuse scandals. I think they should be taken to task as much as possible. Plus, there's the whole infallible thing, which is a massive joke.

The sequester is more important for sure, but this is news worthy too.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

I completely agree. There is no way that the church just stopped their enabling of child molestation in 2002 when the issue really broke, so it is anything but irrelevant. They continue to destroy lives and then beg for money from their followers. Bill should definitely be harping on this, it is outrageous.

Edited by Morbs, Mar 2, 2013 @ 11:11 PM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 1:03 AM

They continue to destroy lives and then beg for money from their followers.

There's that too. On Bill's twitter, he does point out that most people who identify as catholic don't actually buy into anything the church "officially" puts out. Which is an interesting point itself. So pretty much, every day, practical catholics are really lutherans.

marnyh

marnyh

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

Not to mention, every major tv network pre-empted their broadcasts to show footage of the Pope leaving the Vatican, despite the fact that for the majority of our country, he is not the leader of anything relevant in our lives. If every mainstream tv network thinks it's that important to give so much attention to it, I have no problem with Bill focusing on it as much as he does. Especially if it's to point out how corrupt and hypocritical the institution is.

Natural510

Natural510

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 2:20 PM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed him pawing all over Snoop. That was creepy.
He seemed to be going overboard to show how comfortable he was with a hood black dude, something which would otherwise be lampooned on a New Rules segment if anyone else did it.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

Behind the scenes, I think that's Bill's people in private life.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 12:23 PM

Pretty decent panel considering it had two Republicans on it, but it didn't seem like they had much in the way of substantial discussions. Maybe my expectations are too high but I've been disappointed with Arianna Huffington the last several times she's been on Bill's show. I used to love whenever she was on Politically Incorrect and I adore her in general, but she hasn't contributed much recently when she's been on Real Time. Maybe the format just doesn't suit her.

I was sort of dreading David Cross because generally these mid-show guests bring everything to a screeching halt anyway, and while I like Cross as an actor, he tends to take an hour to express just one thought whenever he's in an interview situation. His stand-up isn't very good either IMHO. But then he came out and went right into that great bit about arming kids and I loved it. But what on earth was Bill implying when he asked if he would be comfortable with the "mad man" being the only one in the school with a gun? What the hell is gong on with Bill and the gun issue lately? It's like he's been indoctrinated into the NRA or something. Does he now support arming teachers?

I also thought it was pretty ironic that Bill had just finished making fun of Rand Paul's hair when out comes Charlie LeDuff whose hair is just as goofy looking if not more so. Be fair, Bill, make fun of this guy's hair too.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

I liked the guy who talked about Detroit in the beginning. Bill kind of let him just go and got out of the way.

The panel was nice because they agreed on some things together and didn't shout. But I also didn't get much in the way of substance. Bill seemed kind of all over the place. Even one of the panelist asked "What's your point now?"

I did like the point DC made about everyone being so cynical. It can be a bit much. I know a guy who always has a cynical comment on everything about everything. It's so draining at time. And, Bill's final point about everything having to be political. I think it's absurd that people get mad that the First Lady is trying to help kids eat better.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

Next week's guests seem really promising - I only remember Rachel Maddow now, but last night I thought it seemed like a strong panel. Of course I'm never sure who is going to just do the opening interview & who is going to be brought in at the end of the panel.

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 7:20 PM

I thought the show last night was actually very good. I must have LOLed at least ten times.

The two interview guests were great. And the panel, while a little subdued, I thought, didn't irritate me. Which is rare when there are two Republicans.

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 10:41 PM

Really good episode. Thanks to Bill for one of the best lines of the year, during the discussion about lobbyists: "There are 'takers' in this country, but they wear American flag lapel pins."

jenny1234

jenny1234

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

Good episode. I enjoyed Arianna Huffington and Michael Steele and the man who was the Romney adviser actually seemed more level-headed than most Republicans that appear. I agree though that the discussion was not that substantial.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 10:15 AM

Does Michael Steele even count as a Republican anymore? I was annoyed by LeDuff. I wanted Bill to say "Hey, I didn't abuse kids!"