Real Time with Bill Maher

• Please log in to reply

7219 replies to this topic

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 5:00 PM

I also think that maybe it's time to take a good hard look at the 2nd amendment

The most recent SCOTUS cases about the 2nd Amendment were in 2008 and 2010 both of which said, yep, it's all good. So unless and until the makeup of the court changes significantly, that's kinda that.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 6:23 PM

I do think the 2nd amendment is being misinterpreted.

Massively. Most people understand there's legal limits to free speech; you can't just say anything anywhere anytime. So the concept of legal limits to the amendment is already there.

It's so bizarre that the pro-gun people don't want to change anything at all. Background checks won't work all the time, so you can't do them. How do they come up with this? This NRA president seems like a horrible person. No one said to him, "hey that sounds really mean."

Imo, all the pro-gun people can't be this dumb. I think they're saying all this crap because the bottom line is they just love having guns as much as possible and they know if they say that everyone will know how awful they are.

Not that owning a gun is awful. I'm sure there's plenty of gun owners that are fine with the proposed new law.

Ktwo

Ktwo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

Trump is trying to force Bill Maher to give $5M to charity after providing his birth certificate proving he is not the child of an orangutan: link

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 9:25 PM

Because we all know that a joke uttered on a late night talk show is a binding legal agreement, right?

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 9:30 PM

I also think that maybe it's time to take a good hard look at the 2nd amendment
The most recent SCOTUS cases about the 2nd Amendment were in 2008 and 2010 both of which said, yep, it's all good. So unless and until the makeup of the court changes significantly, that's kinda that.

While SCOTUS upheld the 2nd amendment as is Scalia (shockingly) did delineate specific types of guns that regular citizens should not own.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 10:45 PM

Trump had to be joking, right?

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 11:15 AM

Is Trump ever joking? Yay! I found my people!

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 12:11 PM

It's so bizarre that the pro-gun people don't want to change anything at all. Background checks won't work all the time, so you can't do them.

I know it's lame to quote yourself. But, I saw on the news there was an ad where the NRA guy originally was in favor of the background checks. I don't understand what changed, but it seems like they're just saying whatever and not really thinking anything through.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 12:28 PM

I think that has become typical of the right.

Vienna Woods

Vienna Woods

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:04 PM

Trump had to be joking, right?

Evidently not. Here is a copy of the lawsuit that he filed on Monday in the Superior Court for Los Angeles County, California. I hope that his lawyers got a retainer up front.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 4:26 PM

Oh man, I hope Bill says something about this Trump lawsuit tonight. I imagine he'll demand the release of the long form.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 11:14 PM

I think he covered it pretty well.

But Tina Brown - really? You think Richard III could participate in the Special Olympics? I think she meant the Paralympics. I don't think they're going to let her back into London after that one.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 4:36 AM

Geez, just because we might not be able to stop every Adam Lanza, we can certainly reduce deaths by gun. Australia did it by nearly 50% with their new gun laws*. Not being able to reduce them to zero is no reason to do nothing.

A week late, but hell yeah. Sam Harris is more dangerous than some of the right wing nuts because he sounds so reasonable but he said some really ridiculous things. Like if you take everyone's gun away you'd have a society where the alpha male took control and that would be pretty ugly. (Maybe Bill said that but the two of them were sympatico on the subject). Um no, Sam (or Bill), you don't have alpha males running rampant in countries where there are strict gun control laws...you have kinder, gentler societies where people don't fear for their lives as they are going about their daily business. I know, because I live in one.

As for this week:
Two weeks in a row with no Republicans. Two weeks a row of interesting discussions. Coincidence?

Edited by shabbieshok, Feb 9, 2013 @ 4:37 AM.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 10:34 AM

Well, Bill, you're giving Trump lots of sweet, sweet attention--his oxygen--so maybe he's in on the joke? I understand Bill was trying to battle the birthers with logic, but that's not going to happen. After all, it isn't about the birth certificate and you know that,Bill. It's the audacity of being a brilliant black man whom the majority of American voters put their faith in twice.

Still Bill tilts at not only organized but the deeply held spiritual beliefs of billions. I know how HE feels about HIS beliefs but maybe a talk show host/comedian can understand that you can't change minds by humiliation and scorn. Look how learned people react when religious extremists do it. He tends--in my opinion--to present scientific argument and facts as if their very existence will FINALLY cause civilization to disassemble millenia of culture, icons and tradition.

Maybe concentrate on the bastards who shoot little girls for going to school and the ones who bully gays and the ones who molest little kids with impunity. That old lady clutching her rosary or the coal miner handling snakes in the poorest burg in West Virginia, Bill, aren't an issue. Like you, they're finding their path and harming no one.

I'm a live and let live kind of person (as Bill claims to be) so I don't get his stiff-necked, scatter gun approach to religion. Isn't it a life choice, like drugs? Wouldn't most of us like (as he does) to see more freedom? You know, like legalize pot, decriminalize other drugs, but lock up any s.o.b. who gives/sells dope to kids?

And Bill, for the love of tea bags, you can't wonder at the idiocy of right wing nutters who promote the required reading of Ayn Rand if you keep pronouncing the name,"Ann." Still bugs. My opinion only. Like hearing a professor say,"irregardless." Who can take notes after that?

Edited by TedHinD, Feb 9, 2013 @ 10:36 AM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

It's official, I want Lawrence Krauss on the panel every week. He expertly railed against the anti-science crowd and makes a great backup for Bill. Personally I agree the anti-science people should be ridiculed more. No, I don't think Bill is ever going to convince anyone their religious beliefs are stupid but I don't begrudge him his own platform to scorn them.

I loved Josh Barro's theory that the White House purposely feeds the Republican troll frenzy just to make them look even crazier. Don't know if that's true, but it would be brilliant if it was.

Their discussion about Republicans clinging to supply side economics was frustrating. In the first place, there are plenty of people who still believe in it, evidence be damned. They can spout off all kinds of statistics and figures to back up their beliefs. It also happens to be the only thing the party has left to identify itself. God knows nothing else is working for them.

Well, I called it - Bill asking for Trump to supply his long form birth certificate. Loved, loved loved his whole rant on Trump and his stupid lawsuit. I don't know what Trump is doing here, he's undoubtedly an attention junkie and never misses an opportunity to flex his Republican bonafides, but if he honestly thinks he's got Bill in a "gotcha" moment he's even crazier than anyone previously thought. He just keeps making himself look worse.

Two weeks in a row with no Republicans. Two weeks a row of interesting discussions. Coincidence?

I think not.

And Bill, for the love of tea bags, you can't wonder at the idiocy of right wing nutters who promote the required reading of Ayn Rand if you keep pronouncing the name,"Ann."

How is it pronounced? I always thought it was Ann too. Personally I don't really mind the required reading of Atlas Shrugged. It's great literature even if you don't adhere to Rand philosophies.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 12:52 PM

Well, I called it - Bill asking for Trump to supply his long form birth certificate. Loved, loved loved his whole rant on Trump and his stupid lawsuit.

You totally did! And I thought of you when he was talking about it! Hee. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard during New Rules. He also made mention of it in his opening dialogue.

Sigh...it's so nice to watch this show when the panelists aren't constantly talking over each other.

Fucking loved Martin Bashir.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 1:16 PM

How is it pronounced?

With a long I sound. Eye-n.

I enjoyed Josh Barro, and as usual, want Tina Brown to Go. Away.

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

I totally agree with Josh Barro. I've long thought the Democrats throw out softballs so the the right wing can hit it out of the total batshit crazy ballpark. And they usually do.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 6:26 PM

All I could think about watching the interview with Julian Assange is that he and Bill must be related.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 7:45 PM

Bashir really likes to laugh. Nice to see someone enjoying themselves and not popping a hernia yelling over everyone.

I've long thought the Democrats throw out softballs so the the right wing can hit it out of the total batshit crazy ballpark.

That may be true, but I agree it's a bad idea. I was laughing earlier in the week because a conservative HS friend on FB was pointing out how fake the picture of Obama was because of his hand or something, and here they're saying that a lot of others were doing the same thing. I forgot who said it, but ita that releasing the birth certificate was a mistake too. Ludicrous things like this, you just don't dignify it with a response. I really don't give a shit if Obama shoots skeet or not at Camp David. It's got nothing to do with kids being killed at school.

Not being able to reduce them to zero is no reason to do nothing.

This is what I don't get. Everything in life involves some risk. Driving a car. Walking. Taking a shower. I don't think anyone is saying that the risk of mass shooting will ever be zero, but I think it's the job of the government, if there are measures that can be taken to reduce any kind of risk, that it has the moral and ethical obligation to do so. That's why we have the FAA, OSHA, EPA, etc. Everyone who has been on the news opposed to any changes in gun policy has used this as their only argument. It's absurd. At this point, unless they have something new to add, then STFU.

No, I don't think Bill is ever going to convince anyone their religious beliefs are stupid but I don't begrudge him his own platform to scorn them.

I don't either. I tend to agree with Bill's message, but he puts it out in an assy way. (The movie was really well done, however.) I really do agree that while we'll still go to war over things like resources, etc., religion contributes to a huge amount of killing and brutality in human history. It's sad to say, but there are a lot of the terrorist who are still fighting a 1000 year old war like Bill said on the show. They are terrified of a teenaged girl because they think the pinnacle of civilization was the 7th century. Totally their fault? No. Religion is abused to these ends by all kinds. But, it's Bill's show and people can just change the channel.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 8:57 PM

All I could think about watching the interview with Julian Assange is that he and Bill must be related.

I know! I kept thinking, Bill, stop with the slick back wet look - you could look so much better. It was like a before and after shot of a makeover.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2013 @ 10:11 AM

But, it's Bill's show and people can just change the channel.

Or just enjoy the other 80% of the program and simply understand that on this point Bill is a hopeless bigot.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

I wouldn't go that far, but at the least, he's incredibly condescending about it. He wasn't like that in the movie which is why I think it was so good. But Bill isn't really going to get anyone to listen to his argument by calling people stupid.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:59 AM

Bill on Conan.

http://teamcoco.com/...iculous-lawsuit

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

Did anyone see last night's "Newhart", "The Buck stops here"? Dick kills the great white buck by mistake and has to do a dance to redeem himself. Of course, I loved Bill as Stephanie's suitor. "Maybe we'll take in the credits of a movie sometime.."

Ktwo

Ktwo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 5:22 PM

Guests tonight include Joel McHale, Donna Brazile and Jon Meacham. Looking forward to it.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 12:25 AM

Bill drives me nuts in so many ways. Hated the cheap joke about Marco Rubio drinking from the hose. But then he freaking nails it:

The fact is that any enterprise that excludes women almost always descends into sexual deviancy . Show me any culture that is traditionally hostile to women and I will show you a culture that is screwed up.

I'm a lifelong Catholic struggling with how to practice my faith in light of how the institutional Church just sucks. Since the pope's announcement and my subsequent viewing of Mea Maxima Culpa, I've been trying to articulate this very thought. Bill simply nailed it.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about George Zimmerman's brother going on this "explanation" circuit, saying that, hey, we faced discrimination too. That doesn't change the fact that George followed, confronted and killed a kid after the cops told him to stay in his fucking car. I get that he didn't know who Trayvon was and it aroused suspicion, but he should have let law enforcement handle it. He did not have to be in this position.

I'm also surprised that Bill didn t bring up to the Daily Caller guy the bizarre editorial that crazy Wayne Lapierre wrote for his website where he said all white people need to arm themselves. Not anyone else, even though most people killed by minorities are themselves minorities. Even Joe Scarborough was tweeting his disgust about it yesterday, and I'm no fan of his.

And why was Joel MacHale on there? I like him but did he ever mention his show Community. It looked like he had a book in front of him but they didn't talk about thast either.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 12:45 PM

Ugh. Panelists like Jamie Weinstein are why this show sucks so often. He's like every other Republican guest Bill has on the panel. He was like a lab rat on crack, babbling and running at the mouth 90 miles an hour. He just came across so desperate and defensive. Someone needed to tell him to SLOW. THE. FUCK. DOWN. It just makes whatever point he was trying to make like an excuse. When you sound that defensive and desperate, it just makes you look like you know you're in the wrong.

Meanwhile there's Donna Brazile and Jon Meacham, so poised and calm, and a couple of times when Weinstein was running at the mouth you could see Brazile just sitting there looking at him amusedly. Like she was listening to a little boy explain how babies come from the pumpkin patch. I almost expected her to reach over and pat him on the head or something.

Love Joel McHale but he served no purpose.

I don't know what to make of Robert Zimmerman either. I've completely lost track of that whole case - has it even gone to trial yet? (OK I guess not, I just looked it up.) Did anyone else get the impression Bill was trying to ask him if he was gay? Because I don't know what else to make of Bill's pointing out that he seemed like a "gentle guy" and not at all like his brother George.

jenny1234

jenny1234

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

I didn't love yesterday's show. Jamie Weinstein was just another Republican drone and Donna Brazile and Jon Meacham are just boring, Corporatist media hacks. No real progressives on the show.