Santa Barbara

• Please log in to reply

2047 replies to this topic

whitelighter53

whitelighter53

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

I get the feeling they had no real story ideas for Kelly once the Joe recast failed

I agree - between Robin Wright, Dane Witherspoon, and Harley Kozak, it's a shame how much talent got wasted due to poor writing.

Edited by whitelighter53, May 13, 2012 @ 11:42 AM.

Undine

Undine

Just Tuned In

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

I don't usually post here, but I just wanted to say I agree with whitelighter. Perhaps I'm prejudiced, because I just couldn't stand Nancy Grahn as an actress and could never believe Mason would be seriously attracted to Julia, but I find it simply impossible that Mason--Lane Davies' Mason, at any rate--could ever prefer her to Mary. As was pointed out, the scene where he meets her in "Heaven" made it quite clear that Mary remained his true love. All he wanted was to remain with her. The only reason he returned to Julia--and Samantha--was because Mary virtually ordered him to, because it was not yet "his time" to leave earth. I had long stopped watching SB by the time that scene aired--the combination of Lily Light and the Mason/Julia "baby contract" was just too much for me to stomach--but I saw it recently online and I was rather surprised the writers made it so explicit that he still longed to have Mary back. Very sad.

Mary's death ruined the show for me, permanently.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:34 AM

Welcome.

What was it about Lily which bothered you so much? The show rushing a Lily/Mason sexual relationship?

Lily sounds like a better idea on paper than she was on the show. I wish they had retooled her and she'd stayed around longer, because I do like the actress. I wonder if they just had her as much too unpleasant until it was too late.

I like what I've seen of Mason with both women, but it sounds like an actual triangle between the three of them would have been unlikely. If it ever had I imagine huge fanbase wars.

Did they mention Mary's sister any after she left?

capridge

capridge

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

Mary was so judgemental and I don't think she ever loved Mason as much as Julia did.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

Mary was so judgemental and I don't think she ever loved Mason as much as Julia did.

You speak for me, too. And I liked Mary. But I LOVED Julia and Mason and Julia, so...

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

I liked Mary and Mason also but she had been a nun and although she loved Mason I think at some point his failings (and he had quite a few) would have disappointed her. Julia loved Mason, flaws and all. I think Mary planted the seeds of love in Mason but it was Julia who helped him grow.

I actually think the reason Mary/Mason and Julia/Mason both worked was due mostly to Lane Davies portrayal of Mason. LD (aided by great writing) made that character so tragic and vulnerable that you desperately wanted him to find someone to love him. What SB did right IMO is have the M/M and J/M relationships be so different. I would have been OK with Mason living happily ever after with Mary but I think he was so much better with Julia. They just seemed like they were two halves of a whole.

whitelighter53

whitelighter53

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

It's interesting how people can watch the same show and see entirely different things. To me, Julia seemed like the critical one. I found a clip of Mason and Mary at the convent that I think sort of explains their relationship.
http://www.youtube.c...79C3&playnext=1 Yes, she was judgemental, but it's the fact that she saw his flaws and accepted him in spite of these flaws that seems significant to me. That's how Mason seemed to remember her in his eulogy; http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

But, we may just have to agree to disagree on thsi issue. That may be part of what makes this triangle so intriguing - there is no clear cut answer as to who Mason was best wtih.

Edited by whitelighter53, May 7, 2012 @ 1:39 AM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

I know Robert Newman got to play Kirk during the climax of Kirk's story, but I find him much more watchable than Joseph Bottoms.

capridge

capridge

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Both Kirks creeped me out :)

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

The parts of JB's Kirk I've seen just seem a little like "frustrated yuppie." RN's Kirk is so full of rage (more like coke fiend yuppie) and it draws me in.

Lionel goes off a train! The part where that badly acted extra is convinced by Sophia and her boyfriend that it was no big deal is kind of hilarious. I used my acting skills!! I can see why she didn't have more of a career. Poor Sophia. She always looked gorgeous while in Santa Barbara, even when she was in a coma or when she was being pushed pills. Here she looks a mess.

whitelighter53

whitelighter53

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

Who do you think was the best Brandon? Justin Gocke seemed to be the most popular, but I thought Brandon Call looked the part the most. He actually looked like he could be related to Robert Bryan Wilson - same golden hair and brown eyes.

Edited by whitelighter53, May 11, 2012 @ 11:17 PM.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

Yes, Mary mentioned Christy and their mother a few times in passing (they had moved back to their old house out of town). I would've loved to see SB explore the relationship between Mary and her mother a lot more, especially since they were so different in nature and personality.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

I think Justin Gocke is remembered so fondly as Brandon because he was the actor in the role the longest (I think). Then there is the Emmy win...

I loved JG's vibe with Robin Mattson and he did well with mini drama arcs when Bunny was thought to be dead and when he discovered that Gina was not his bio-mom and had to decide whether to live with her or C.C. (as usual), around the time Mason took him in to give the kid some much-needed space.

Speaking of which, I loved that Mason's more selfless side kicked in there, likely because, as he told Julia, he knew what that whole "parents hate each other and kid in a tug of war" thing was like.

But Brandon Call, I know, went on to Step By Step in the '90s and did okay.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

I also loved in the very early days of the show, when Linda Gibboney was still playing Gina, when Brandon wanted Mason to read to him. Mason had been reading the business section of the newspaper and read the Dow Jones Report to the little boy. LOL

Upthread, someone asked about Nick and Dylan. Yes, Kelly was drawing the ghost town she and Nick had hid out in. (Why they were hiding, I don't remember. Someone else will have to enlighten us on that point.) In any case, Kelly had amnesia (what a shock) and had slept with Nick repeatedly. She didn't remember this until her memory came flooding back while she was making the drawings. She had thought that the man in these memories had been the late Joe Perkins.

Dylan was Nick's reckless brother with the wild hair and beard, who ended up becoming so insane and obsessed with Kelly that she ended up pushing him out the window of the Presidential Suite at the Capwell Hotel. He had become so unhinged by that point, I'm surprised he wasn't boiling bunny rabbits a la Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. HA!!!

David Haskell (Nick) continued to act in primetime spots and film until his passing in the summer of 2000. He was best known for his work in the Broadway, touring, and film versions of the musical Godspell, which was all over a decade before his run on SB.

Page Moseley (Dylan) is no longer acting. He cut the hair and the beard, married, had kids and is now a senior loan consultant for a mortgage firm in the L.A. area. But acting isn't out of his life entirely - he has a daughter who is studying acting in NYC.

Pretty sweet, huh? :-)

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Upthread, someone asked about Nick and Dylan. Yes, Kelly was drawing the ghost town she and Nick had hid out in. (Why they were hiding, I don't remember. Someone else will have to enlighten us on that point.) In any case, Kelly had amnesia (what a shock) and had slept with Nick repeatedly. She didn't remember this until her memory came flooding back while she was making the drawings. She had thought that the man in these memories had been the late Joe Perkins.

Did he know she had amnesia when he slept with her?

Did she have any problem with this when she got her memory back? Apparently not, if she was going to marry him...(wasn't she going to marry him?).

whitelighter53

whitelighter53

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

I would've loved to see SB explore the relationship between Mary and her mother a lot more

I agree. Mary was such a complex character. Also, if the stupid writers hadn't replaced Dane Witherspoon and killed Joe off, I think a friendship (not a romance) between Mary and Joe would've been interesting. The Jade-Christy friendship could have been their connection. I think Joe would've believed Ted didn't rape Christy, and Mary would've asked him why he was so ready to defend Ted after the Capwells had falsely accused Joe of murder.

Also, Joe could've warned Mary not to get involved with Mason.

Edited by whitelighter53, May 13, 2012 @ 11:48 AM.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

Steve - Nick absolutely DID know she had amnesia when he slept with her, and I found this whole scene pretty sleazy (when she finds out the truth):

http://www.youtube.c...&feature=relmfu

Don't worry, the audio is indeed in English.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

That's awful. I hate that type of story. I don't know who thinks this is romantic?

Considering that I've never been all that interested in Robin Wright as an actress, and I know she hated her time at SB, I'm always surprised at how much I enjoy her work in these clips.

And more Brick! Thanks for the bonus.

You all weren't kidding about how much this Warren looked like Nic Coster.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

You all weren't kidding about how much this Warren looked like Nic Coster.

Which, again, made the retcon that JW as Warren was not Lionel's son such a farce. Original Warren was a friggin' Lionel CLONE, so, recast or not, I never bought that rewrite, even if it was to make Warren/Cassie not oogie. Which in itself was a waste since they did not get together, anyway.

But then, SB was a complete mess by '92, so it is what it is.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:23 AM

Steve, I agree with you. I think him taking advantage of her in her situation, and all that was tantamount to rape. "I tried to resist making love to you until I couldn't resist anymore!" Small wonder that their relationship didn't last.

Yes, more Brick is always a good thing!! Richard Eden is a great guy along with being a terrific actor. These days, he's moved behind the camera - he and his wife own a production company.

You'll also be happy to know that Nic Coster is still close friends with John Allen Nelson (Warren #1) to this day. He even officiated JAN's wedding in France a few years ago!!! :-)

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:39 AM

I saw a photo of Richard Eden at an awards show a few years ago so I'm glad he's still going along. I normally don't go for that type of soap actor but I really enjoy his work as Brick and to my taste he was the hottest guy on the show (although Santa Barbara had a lot of hot guys).

Great to hear how close some of the cast still are. The first time I ever saw Nic Coster was when he played Eduardo on ATWT, and the first time I saw Nelson was one of those late night thrillers, with Joan Severance. Too bad they haven't acted together since. Then again when Santa Barbara co-stars work together again it doesn't always end well (like the awful GH material for Lane Davies/NLG, Jed Allan, Robin Mattson).

Kat99

Kat99

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

Lane Davies and Nic Coster and Jed Allan are all featured players on the web soap The Bay. It airs at thebaytheseries.com.

Lane Davies and Jed Allan are once again playing father and son. Other daytime soap vets involved in The Bay are Mary Beth Evans, Tristan Rogers, Real Andrews, Sandra Ferguson, Lily Melgar, Matt Ashford, Jackie Zeman, Martha Madison, Dylan Bruce, Marie Wilson, Charles Shaughnessy, and more...

I first got a glimpse of Lane Davies on Santa Barbara, and boy did I love Mason! I loved C.C., Eden, Cruz, Julia...heck, I even loved Ted and Hayley, though on a different level than the others.

whitelighter53

whitelighter53

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

Based on this clip, who would you say was prettier, Kelly (Robin Wright) or Eden: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=EQ95qbs8Wyo I'd say it's about a toss-up.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

I think Kelly had better wardrobe and hairstyles than they gave Eden (I don't really understand why at one point Eden had her hair in the shape of a donut), but they're both very beautiful. The casting was perfect as sisters. It's for the best that Marcy never had scenes with Eileen Davidson as I couldn't buy them as sisters.

Neka

Neka

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

Question: Does anyone know of a great storyline starring NLG available on YouTube? I'm having a hankering to see some of the 'good old days' but I wasn't paying too much attention back then. :)

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

Neka, not YT, but Nancyfan.com has Julia's story in order on the site. It is up to around the TL as Mason years there, but her time on the show (once the Baby Contract storyline started, as that was her first story as a lead) is up. Look under their SB section.

Enjoy!

Edited by WendyCR72, May 15, 2012 @ 12:41 PM.

Neka

Neka

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

Awesome! Thanks!

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

You're welcome, Neka. :-)

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

I know this has all been gone over before, but I was just thinking again about this great screen test that Terri Garber and A Martinez supposedly had. Did they ever give a reason why they were going to pair up Cruz with a woman who inspired some alternate personality in his wife (and one who was a quivering mess)? That's quite a story to tell the kids!

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:40 AM

With all due respect to Ms. Garber, that whole convoluted plot was just reason 58,424,646,563 of how SB went wrong. :-(