Santa Barbara

• Please log in to reply

2047 replies to this topic

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

Not sure where Katie came from (maybe I was thinking of Keith's sister).

She also said that her exit from the show was walking upstairs.

capridge

capridge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:27 AM

I was a HUGE Courtney Capwell/Julia Campbell fan. It was a hoot to see her on Desperate Housewives a few years ago. She hardly aged at all.

I also loved Pearl & Courtney and HATED Pearl & Kelly, especially because of the way Pearl fell in love with Kelly and dumped Courtney. I mean, EVERYONE fell in love with Kelly. It felt redundant.

The Katie confusion may stem from the fact it was her character's name on Ryan's Hope. I'd be interested in reading that article, steve91199!

I always wish she'd brought back to the show somehow. Her murder of Madeline hardly made her a bad person, LOL.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I always wish she'd brought back to the show somehow. Her murder of Madeline hardly made her a bad person, LOL.

True, that! LOL! In all seriousness, didn't she do so in self defense? I don't remember.

And I liked Kelly, but it WAS ridiculous how EVERY man who walked into her path fell for her. Pearl and Courtney should have been given a fair shake.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

Julia Campbell article. It's in some articles at the bottom of the last page. I also included a Lane Davies article (I checked the Davies fansite and didn't see it - I might have overlooked it), and one or two other articles, including one trashing the Dash rape storyline. That story just seems odd to me, that they seemed to be itching to tell a story sympathizing with the rapist. I suppose they were ahead of their time for soaps, ugh. I remember reading an article in one of these magazines which praised Tim Gibbs and essentially said, "Viewers still don't like Dash, but boy this is wonderful and the show certainly is trying." If viewers don't like him, then take the hint.

The Julia article is pretty good. I had missed that she married an actor on the show. Who was Angel?

capridge

capridge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

True, that! LOL! In all seriousness, didn't she do so in self defense? I don't remember.

Yes, she did. Madeline didn't want to share daddy's inheritance with her sister, so she decided to kill Courtney in that bungalow and make it look like self-defense. The plan went awry, and Courtney, heartbroken that her sister was THAT evil, killed Madeline in self-defense instead.

Thanks for the Julia Campbell link. An interesting read!

Who was Angel?

A no-good drug dealer who made brief appearances from 1985-87. He got Santana's little brother, Danny, addicted to cocaine and had a brief affair with Gina, giving her a place to stay after her disappearance from the boathouse during the Eden/Kirk mess. Cruz finally arrested him in late 1986. Angel's last appearance when Cruz was jailed for Elena's murder and a vengeful Angel, in the same prison, tried to have him killed.

The Julia/Dash story was odd indeed, especially when Augusta began lusting after her sister's rapist. I didn't mind Dash, liked the actor and found his romance with Katrina quite sweet despite of myself. But I really wish they hadn't gone there with Julia/Dash. The show had many rape storylines, but Julia's was by far my least favorite.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:44 AM

Was that Robin Mattson or Linda Gibboney's Gina?

I wasn't sure what part of his stay involved him being "good." That must have been his time with Gina?

Some of the older magazines have more focus on Santa Barbara actors (I wish the remaining soap magazines would devote themselves to "where are they now" and nostalgia - I think they would find a solid market). A lot of it is already out there but I'm glad there's some people still haven't been able to read or enjoy.

I was surprised when I saw one clip and Courtney was on the show at the same time as Hayley. For some reason I thought she was gone by then.

I had never heard of "Cutters" (they would not use that title today). Has anyone ever seen it?

capridge

capridge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

Was that Robin Mattson or Linda Gibboney's Gina?

Robin Mattson's.

I wasn't sure what part of his stay involved him being "good." That must have been his time with Gina?

Angel held Cruz and Mary hostage at the clinic, then was arrested and reappeared again when he was ready to testify against some mobster. He was relatively nice at this point, and Cruz and Pearl shared the responsibility of protecting him. A hitman shot what he thought was Angel, but it was really Pearl, who wasn't really harmed and had to spend the night at the morgue to make people think Angel was dead. Angel's time with Gina came shortly thereafter.

I was surprised when I saw one clip and Courtney was on the show at the same time as Hayley. For some reason I thought she was gone by then.

IIRC, Hayley arrived on the show shortly before Courtney did. They even had some scenes together, since Hayley was the Capwell maid and Courtney was living at the mansion.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

Thanks for answering my questions!

Do you think Madeline was supposed to be annoying or did the acting make it worse? I liked Terry Davis on Edge of Night but the few clips I've seen of Madeline are so full of a weird vocal inflection and too many mannerisms. The clip involved Madeline making Pearl look like a thief.

capridge

capridge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

I think she was supposed to be annoying. Even MARY lost her patience with her, lol.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

I think she was supposed to be annoying. Even MARY lost her patience with her, lol.

Hee. But, to be fair, while Mary was patient to the extreme, she did also lecture Mason often enough! But I also know he deserved it a lot of the time. It's a wonder Mary stayed as nice as she seemed, working for and being around the Capwells and their issues for so long!

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

If this has already been discussed in detail, then please just point me to the pages I missed, but what was the whole story with Kirk Cranston? What did you think of him? I know he was probably supposed to be unlikeable, since he obviously was not Eden's soulmate, but all I have seen of him just seems annoying/boring, and he lasted years. I wish they had kept Elena that long.

Speaking of Elena, it always cracks me up when I go to that Youtube video of her death and there are tons of angry comments which say, "What the hell is this? This isn't Vampire Diaries! What are you doing???"

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

OMG, steve, I know exactly what Elena video you're referring to. Like you, I cracked up reading the comments.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:42 AM

Judith McConnell models hairstyles, circa 1974. If the link doesn't work, it's on the last page of the thread.

whitelighter53

whitelighter53

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

firing Dane Witherspoon in 1984 and letting Harley Kozak go in 1986 were the two biggest mistakes the Dobsons made in their reign on Santa Barbara

Yes these were big mistakes, but imo, the first big mistake the writers made was getting Joe & Kelly back together too soon, and in such an anti-climactic way. They should've dragged it out longer to prolong the suspense and excitement. And when the two did get back together, they were so non challante about it. It really kind of staled the show for me. And I didn't like how Kelly & Joe just picked up right where they left off as if nothing happened, and got engaged again right away. I wanted them back together eventually of course, but after five years they wouldn't have been the same people they were before, so it seems they'd have had some things to work through before being ready to just settle down together.

Edited by whitelighter53, Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:04 AM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:01 AM

I wonder how many of the characters in the Lockridge scene were still on the show a year later.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

I wonder how many of the characters in the Lockridge scene were still on the show a year later.

Considering it was 1986, I'm shocked any were there, at all, then.

capridge

capridge

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

Pearl, Lionel and Jane were still on the show a year later, but the rest of them were long gone.

Yes these were big mistakes, but imo, the first big mistake the writers made was getting Joe & Kelly back together too soon, and in such an anti-climactic way. They should've dragged it out longer to prolong the suspense and excitement. And when the two did get back together, they were so non challante about it. It really kind of staled the show for me. And I didn't like how Kelly & Joe just picked up right where they left off as if nothing happened, and got engaged again right away. I wanted them back together eventually of course, but after five years they wouldn't have been the same people they were before, so it seems they'd have had some things to work through before being ready to just settle down together.

Excellent point, and ICAM! Joe and Kelly's reunion was so sudden that it felt rushed and awkward.

Edited by capridge, May 1, 2012 @ 4:20 PM.

whitelighter53

whitelighter53

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

There's some debate as to who Brandon was best off living with. In earlier season I'd say clearly Gina, but one thing that concerned me later was when she and Brandon were living in the Lockridge house and decided to turn it into a bed & breakfast. It's been awhile since I've seen those episodes, but I don't remember Gina being very careful who she rented to. It wasn't just a question of whether they'd be as a good tenent; Brandon was still pretty young (about 10?) ,and she didn't seem concerned about strange people being around her child. I don't remember if she did a background check pn Bunny, but but to be honest, if I'd been in her situation I still wouldn't rent to a man I didn't know - not unless it was either that or losing the house and living on the street.

Edited by whitelighter53, May 2, 2012 @ 12:34 AM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

It's too bad the various parts of Gina's life seem so disconnected. Her relationship with Brandon is one part, then the relationships with Lily and Hayley, then the relationships with her mother and brother, which I have not watched yet, so don't understand (did her mother ever talk about selling Gina's baby?).

I can't see a Gina/Lionel marriage lasting, but I would have liked to have seen Brick return, with Johnny, and seen how Brandon would have reacted to him, especially if he was close to Lionel (although I guess by this time Brandon had been written out) and felt threatened by a new kid for Lionel to dote on.

I was reading some comments about SB's ratings issues and one of them was a comment from an actor who said basically that the stories became a mess after the Dobsons were locked out. This was, what, early 1987? Did you notice a big change at this time? Did stories like Eden's "death" and being held by Cain not feel right to you?

I wonder what plans the Dobsons had before they were locked out.

capridge

capridge

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

There's some debate as to who Brandon was best off living with. In earlier season I'd say clearly Gina, but one thing that concerned me later was when she and Brandon were living in the Lockridge house and decided to turn it into a bed & breakfast. It's been awhile since I've seen those episodes, but I don't remember Gina being very careful who she rented to. It wasn't just a question of whether they'd be as a good tenent; Brandon was still pretty young (about 10?) ,and she didn't seem concerned about strange people being around her child. I don't remember if she did a background check pn Bunny, but but to be honest, if I'd been in her situation I still wouldn't rent to a man I didn't know - not unless it was either that or losing the house and living on the street.

I agree. That said, I also agreed with Julia when she said that Brandon was immune to Gina's bad side. Also, he didn't fare all that well whenever he was seperated from Gina.

It's too bad the various parts of Gina's life seem so disconnected. Her relationship with Brandon is one part, then the relationships with Lily and Hayley, then the relationships with her mother and brother, which I have not watched yet, so don't understand (did her mother ever talk about selling Gina's baby?).

She did, in one brief but memorable scene. Gina and her mother argued about Lily, and her mother was shocked that Lily had found Gina. Phyllis and Lily never shared any scenes together, unfortunately.

I can't see a Gina/Lionel marriage lasting, but I would have liked to have seen Brick return, with Johnny, and seen how Brandon would have reacted to him, especially if he was close to Lionel (although I guess by this time Brandon had been written out) and felt threatened by a new kid for Lionel to dote on.

I recall Brandon being friendly with Lionel around this time, but not that close. It would have been nice to see Brandon feel threatening by Gina's new baby, Channing III, since he was adopted and Channing wasn't.

I was reading some comments about SB's ratings issues and one of them was a comment from an actor who said basically that the stories became a mess after the Dobsons were locked out. This was, what, early 1987? Did you notice a big change at this time? Did stories like Eden's "death" and being held by Cain not feel right to you?

They were locked out in late 1987, so they were still around for Eden's "death" and the whole Elena story, which was one of their best IMO. It caused the ratings to rise.

I wonder what plans the Dobsons had before they were locked out.

IIRC, they would NOT have killed off Caroline Wilson and Hayley Benson. I also have a feeling that the Mason/Julia storyline would have been different had the Dobsons stayed.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

When I see the credits for 1987 I usually don't see the Dobsons' names (although I may not have looked closely enough) so I thought they were gone by then. I think Caroline died when, summer 1987? The way they spoke about this in interviews they made it sound like they weren't around for the decision, but if they were involved in casting Pamela, that must have been around the same time.

A Martinez made a comment that it took, I think, 2 years for the ratings to go back to the level they were at when Mary was killed off.

Brandon's reaction to Channing would have made interesting TV. I thought the little boy who played Brandon was a good actor.

What was the Gina/Lily relationship like when Paula Irvine played the role?

Robin Mattson is such a force of nature as Gina that I often feel like the show just writes around that and uses that even when they aren't sure exactly what the character is supposed to be doing. I suppose that may explain the revolving door of relatives.

whitelighter53

whitelighter53

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

A Martinez made a comment that it took, I think, 2 years for the ratings to go back to the level they were at when Mary was killed off.

I think he was the one who first suggested to the writers to bring Mary back. In general I don't like bringing characters back from the dead, but in this case since I agree. I seemto be in the minority (on this forum, anyway) who prefers Mason and Mary. Yes, Mason andJulia had spark - kinda like David and Maddie on Moonlighting, but Mason and Mary's romance was more complex - kind of a "Beauty and the Beast" story.

I also believe that if Mary had returned from the dead in 1989, Mason would eventually have chosen Julia over her.

In 1989 when Mason saw Mary's ghost, he asked her if she could come with him back to earth, without giving Julia a second thought. Doesn't that kind of answer the question of who he'd have chosen if she'd returned from the dead? Of course, I think it would be out of character for Mary to try to get Mason back, because of Samantha. If it turned out, though, that Mary'd had the baby she was carrying at the time of the accident, it might've been more complicated. As I recall, they were unable to determine the father - I guess at the time they didn't have DNA testing.

Edited by whitelighter53, May 5, 2012 @ 12:09 AM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

I wonder if fans would have accepted Mary leaving town to get away from everyone? I know Mary and Mason had this fated love and weren't likely to ever get over each other, but I just wonder if the whole thing was too heavy. Not just Mary dying, but the agonizing scenes where she realized her baby was also going to die. Then Mason's complete mental breakdown. When they did this with some couples, like Cruz and Eden, at least viewers knew Eden wasn't really gone.

What was Courtney upset about in this clip?

whitelighter53

whitelighter53

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

I wonder if fans would have accepted Mary leaving town to get away from everyone?

No, I don't think they would've accepted that. If they'd brought her back, it would've had to be some other way. Maybe Mark could've kidnapped her once he realized she was just in a coma. I'd want it to be believable, though - no 4-month comma like CC and then just wake up healthy as a horse; no ridiculous amnesia storyline. It would've taken some creativity and thought. (Ok, some of you all may be able to tell I'm thinking of writing a fanfic- that's how badly Iwanted her back)
Also, I'm no doctor, but does anyone know if her unborn baby could've survived a trauma like that?

Edited by whitelighter53, May 3, 2012 @ 1:27 AM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

She was only a few months pregnant, wasn't she?

I don't know how they could have brought her back from the dead; I meant, what if instead of killing Mary off at all they had just had her leave town.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

Mary was not even beginning to show, so she could not have been very far along. In real life, no way would a fetus survive the trauma to Mary's body that occurred with the weight of that sign hitting her.

But if AMC could bring back an ABORTED FETUS as a fully-grown man, real laws don't apply in soap land.

Still, I think had Mary and Mason survived, the sweetness would get cloying after a while, for me. The horses and fairy tale was sweet, but Cruz and Eden had that covered, and I was grateful to Robert Barr for alleviating the syrup factor after a time, even if I had no investment in him.

But, I have already admitted my bias for Mason and Julia, so take that into consideration, too. :-) Tomato, tomahto, and all that jazz!

whitelighter53

whitelighter53

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

I think had Mary and Mason survived, the sweetness would get cloying after a while, for me. The horses and fairy tale was sweet, but Cruz and Eden had that covered

Interesting - I see you're point, but I never thought of Mason and Mary as syrupy in the way that Cruz and Eden were. Mason's devious side kept their relationship from getting that way. Mary did know better than anyone else how to bring out the best in him, but there was always a side of him you couldn't trust. Pls note -I'm only referring to LD's Mason. I never cared for Terry Lester, and stopped watching the show before GT took over.

Edited by whitelighter53, May 3, 2012 @ 7:17 PM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

I know you've already talked about the stories with Kelly's men, and the brief time she had scenes with Larry Poindexter, as the guy who lived near her. I wonder if they had stories planned that were suddenly ended with Robin Wright needing to make Princess Bride...but then sometimes I get the feeling they had no real story ideas for Kelly once the Joe recast failed, and the break was almost a relief.

For some reason, as I haven't watched a lot of this yet, I thought the guy Kelly was accused of killing was the older man, Nick. Yet I see him in a clip when Tori first arrives in Santa Barbara, so clearly that wasn't him. Did he just vanish? Was the guy she killed Dylan, the odious man with the hair and beard like a sleazy agent/music producer from every late 70's/early 80's movie and TV show?

Was it Nick or Dylan people considered to be such a horribly done character?

Here is a clip of Larry.

Does anyone else think that he might have been a good partner for Sophia during her splits from CC? I could see her with him over the mullet man, TJ.

I was also going to ask - what was Augusta's 1986 exit? I see things about her being held for ransom, and Lionel has to go into debt to get her, and then he says she doesn't want to come back?

lovethesoaps

lovethesoaps

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

Wow, I just watched the clip and that Dylan was one crazy dude. I think he was Nick's younger brother and NNick and Kelly had been involved earlier. Nick was quite a bit older and I seem to remember them in some sort of a deserted Western town. Can anyone enlighten me?

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

Wasn't it a ghost town, and Kelly kept drawing it? I've only seen a few parts of the story, haven't had enough time to watch more (of what is available). I wonder if Paul Rauch ripped the story off to do Eterna on OLTL.