Santa Barbara

• Please log in to reply

2047 replies to this topic

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

Was Leonardo DiCaprio one of the Brandons, or was he someone else? Did you think at the time he had any great future?

Actually, Leonardo DiCaprio played Mason in flashbacks during the wretched "four orphans and Cassie" storyline mess in 1990, when Terry Lester was still in the role, thus explaining why dirty blonde-haired Leo's Mason had said blonde hair.

I think Leo has talent, but it is also overblown, a bit.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

These scenes, especially the first, are phenomenally acted and have such strong dialogue. The scene where Lisa describes her "birth" and how she took Eden out to the ocean is some of the finest work I have ever seen.

What a contrast the show must have been to fans at this time, as this story was a mess, but had some very powerful moments.

Her therapist is window dressing, and just offers platitudes. I wonder if she was only involved because they felt they had to have SOME medical professional, even if Cruz took the main role.

Didn't this character end up being bedded by Dash the rapist?

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

Gina ended up giving birth to a baby without actually sleeping with its father (having had the sperm implanted herself), and gave birth to a boy on Christmas Day surrounded by animals in a vet's office. Gee...heavy-handed symbolism, anyone? *rolls eyes*

By the time the show ended, CC had several grown children and several grandchildren (Samantha and Adrianna, and in the last show Julia found out she was pregnant again after she and Mason had adopted a baby boy). Wasn't he a bit old to be having children of his own again? I'm shocked we never saw a late in life pregnancy plot played out with Sophia.

Edited by catlover79, Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:05 AM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:28 AM

Sophia confronts CC about the Santana baby.

It's kind of like when the new writers came in they said, "Hey, these characters are older, so let's have tell stories about their being kind of old and stupid," so Sophia marries the younger man who wants her dead, and CC has the thing with Santana.

I guess at least they didn't write the characters out, although if the show had gone on another few years I wonder if they would have written CC and Sophia out.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

It seemed like the character of Santana got more unlikable (and whiny) with each actress who played her - and there were four. Who's with me?

sophiapet

sophiapet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

I didn't even know there were 4 Santanas! I knew of 3 and the one that married Cruz, I remember hating her guts!

Who got custody of Brandon by show's end?

I also loved Keith Timmons. He was hysterical and so was Pearl. Whatever happened to Pearl?

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

Who got custody of Brandon by show's end?

I also loved Keith Timmons. He was hysterical and so was Pearl. Whatever happened to Pearl?

Brandon was off screen before Gina even gave birth. I'm guessing the old soap staple, boarding school. But by show's end, Gina, as far as I know, still had custody, even if she rarely, if ever, mentioned him.

Pearl kind of just did a fade, I think.

Oh, and steve91199, yes, Dr. Denise Foxworthy (who was both Eden's shrink and Julia's shrink after her rape) was duped and bedded by Dash. It was special, especially when she, after finding out, while horrified, also questioned Julia with regard to what she was saying about Dash.

It was almost as special as Augusta practically taking her sister's rapist's side. I did adore Mason again (well, I always did...but this increased it!) when he ripped said shrink apart and went after Augusta once for her disloyalty.

sophiapet

sophiapet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

WendyCR72 , thanks! What I remember of Jula's rape was her walking into her house or Augusta's (I think it was dark and rainy)and Augusta was there. Julia was in a daze and either she sat on the couch or slumped on the floor, only saying to her sister "I was raped." Truly chilling.

Another scene that sticks out was when Lionel was trying to get Augusta back for what seemed like an eternity and they were at the Orient Express and he makes Augusta get up as they stand together, he takes sugar/salt from the table and sprinkles it around them into a circle---desperatley talking to her and get her in the 'truth circle' or something like that. It's so odd how I remember random scenes like that!

I've only youtubed the 1984-86 SB so far, some on perpetual repeat, so if my memory doesn't fail me, when Cruz went into Eden's hospital room to tell her Adrianna was kidnapped, wasn't that all in silence....as in we as the viewers couldn't hear, but we could see their torment? Or am I thinking of something else? I believe I'm close b/c I also recall in one of the old Soap mags stating that was the first on daytime TV. What was also a first, was Cruz-n-Eden's commercial of 'name their baby'...I remember voting but I can't remember what names were given to choose from...apparantly the viewers voted Adrianna! Dool did that recently for one of their supercouple's new baby.

I saw a recent photo of the actress who played Victoria Lane and she looks better now than I ever remembered her.

I watch DOOL and just last year, they had Santana, Gina, Jade and Augusta on the show! They'll forever be those characters for me. When I first watched the movie, 'Erin Brockavich', I yelled out, that's Santana!

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

I've only youtubed the 1984-86 SB so far, some on perpetual repeat, so if my memory doesn't fail me, when Cruz went into Eden's hospital room to tell her Adrianna was kidnapped, wasn't that all in silence....as in we as the viewers couldn't hear, but we could see their torment? Or am I thinking of something else?

Nope, you're right!

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

The four name choices for Eden & Cruz's baby were Adam, Adrianna, Christopher and Christina. I think the voters made a wise choice because Christopher or Christina with the last name Castillo is a bit of a mouthful (although I'm sure they would've used a nickname).

sophiapet, this website is an absolute treasure trove of vintage SB magazine articles, photos, and such. You'll love it. Enjoy!!!

http://www.mylanedav...icles/Page.html

Yes, four actresses played Santana Andrade:

1. Ava Lazar (July-December 1984)
2. Margaret Michaels (April-October 1985)
3. Gina Gallego (October 1985-April 1987, returned for a week's worth of eps in November 1989)
4. Wanda De Jesus (July 1991-May 1992)

Ava Lazar, who played Santana from the premiere episode through the earthquake storyline in late 1984, was my favorite of the four. She played the character as strong-willed, spirited, loyal, and smart. The other actresses played Santana as a shrieking harpy (which may have more to do with the writing/direction than the actresses themselves). Having now seen a little bit of WDJ, I can see why people thought she was too old for the part. Actually, I think she was just scary!!!

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

I read that Lane Davies took a break from the show during the summers to do theater. Do you know if that was in his contract from the start, or did that just happen after Mason became a popular character? Was Mason always intended to be a favorite or did he just take off with viewers? I always get the feeling that characters like Kelly were supposed to be more prominent than some who took off, like Mason or Eden.

I was watching some of the show's promos, some of which are really first rate, and this set has some promo about Mason enduring months of torture in order to protect Eden. That's kind of...hardcore, even for soaps. It is like something out of a hurt/comfort fic. I had never heard of this story. Are there are any clips of Eden or the rest of the family learning about this? Did this bring him closer to any of them? How can you go back to the black sheep of the family after something like that?

sophiapet

sophiapet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

catlover79, steve91199 thanks for the insights, memories, and links! I'll have to investigate! I know between all of the Capwell siblings, Eden and Mason were the closest, they faught, they loved, they hated, but ultimately understood each other. When the 'C' sign fell and killed Mary, and Eden consoled Mason, a short while later, didn't Mason go on a blaming spree and targeted Eden? I haven't youtubed that yet.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

When the 'C' sign fell and killed Mary, and Eden consoled Mason, a short while later, didn't Mason go on a blaming spree and targeted Eden? I haven't youtubed that yet.

No, Mason targeted Mark (for obvious reasons), C.C., and Julia. (He even pulled a gun on Julia.) He did not believe Julia was going to throw the case and took Mark on to help Mary; Augusta filled Mason in on everything before he high-tailed it out of town. Of the three, the only one I ever recall Mason trying to apologize to was Julia, not his dad. (I never thought he would apologize to scummy Mark, naturally.) He did so upon his return to town. (Likely Lane's first annual sabbatical.)

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

I was watching some of the promos which focused on Jeffrey/Kelly - they seemed to suddenly start having a lot of them, I guess due to the Princess Bride? - and they had some thing about an experiment they had to do which led them to realize their passion for each other. Was that better or worse than it sounds in the promo?

capridge

capridge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 2:12 AM

Better. It led to one hot kiss! I loved Kelly/Jeffrey.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 2:14 AM

Oh, there's no doubt that SB (and NBC) was capitalizing on RW's success in The Princess Bride. I haven't watched the entire Kelly/Jeffrey story, but I wasn't crazy about that pairing. None of RW's pairings on the show could compare in my mind with her first, Dane Witherspoon's Joe Perkins. Ah well.

Yeah, Kelly and Jeffrey were on the run and managed to hide in a college lab and volunteered to take part in some experiment to buy them some time until they figured out what to do next. And yes, it ended up in a huge, passionate kiss. The clip is up on YT somewhere (with Eden and Cruz in disguise as uniformed security guards to throw the cops of Kelly and Jeffrey's trail), but I'm too tired to look it up now.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 3:06 AM

I was reading an SOD from after Witherspoon's firing and they said the Dobsons (or Santa Barbara) were getting bags and bags of angry letters from fans. I wonder if it was some type of power move against Robin Wright, since she wasn't thrilled with the role.

I'm sorry she was so unhappy, but at least she seems to always give her most in her performances, and doesn't tank scenes, as many recent names do on soaps.

Are there any clips of the story about Mason being tortured, and the reaction of his family? I guess I should check the Lane Davies fansite.

sophiapet

sophiapet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

Steve91199, it's so funny you're mentioning about RW's unhappiness (which I had totally forgotten about) at SB b/c I was going to comment earlier about watching her on an epi of 'Chelsea Lately' and when Chelsea talked about her start in Hwood on SB, RW just bowed her head in embarrassment...meanwhile Chelsea told her that she loved the show and the audience was right behind her cheering on. It kinda ticked me off that RW did that. Geesh, even Carrie Underwood was gracious enough to thank American Idol when she was winning all of her country awards! I know she must've been unhappy, but that was her first big thing and how many other starlet wannabes wished they had that opportunity? Other than Princess Bride, it took RW a good while until I saw her on the silver screen again. I think what made her relevant again was marrying Sean Penn. *Ducking!* Don't get me wrong, I love RW, and absolutely loved her on Forrest Gump but don't bite the hand that fed you dammnit. I know, I'm taking it personally b/c it's SB. *Rant Over*

Catlover79, I finally searched the link you uploaded about all things SB, and I had forgotten that Jade Perkins was sent to the movies and never returned! No wonder M (Brennan)R was pissed in that article. She repeated how she thought it was b/c she had gained weight. But the mag came into SB's defense stating that the entire Perkins family were either killed off or wrote off to the movies, in MR's case. Although she was already hired by DOOL during that interview, she was quite young and I thought rather brazen for her comments that have never been verified. Did she forget SB was still in its infancy and perhaps she should have been more grateful for a chance on a brand new show that has won more Emmy's than the one she's on now? Sorry, I'm ranting again. For the record, I do love MR.

Edited by sophiapet, Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:19 AM.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

Are there any clips of the story about Mason being tortured, and the reaction of his family? I guess I should check the Lane Davies fansite.

Or check out the Mason Chronicles at Lane Davies' site. Each week features a Retro Week with an early story and a week of a more recent storyline concurrently. Right now for the recent story, it is starting the remote when Mason, Julia, and Keith go looking for an escaped Cruz (and when M&J end up in that cave and sleep together). So the torture stuff was missed, but the site circles around.

As for reactions, it basically focused, IIRC, on Julia's, Kelly's, and Jeffrey's, since it was they who found Mason strapped to a bomb.

The old magazine Soap Opera Update seemed to like SB covers. I thought I had seen most of them, but here is a cover with CG's Kelly, Robert...and Quinn. I bet a good bit of PhotoShop was at work there since, in reality, there is only one Roscoe Born. Hee.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

It's too bad that story had no real long term consequences - it's tough for me to imagine Mason ever having the same relationships with his family after that type of sacrifice.

I'm not really sure what kind of relationship Mason and Kelly had. At the dinner party they don't seem close at all.

Edited by steve91199, Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:52 PM.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

I'm not really sure what kind of relationship Mason and Kelly had. At the dinner party they don't seem close at all.

I'm sure Mason and Kelly loved each other, but he was closer to Eden (even as much as they fought) and, under Lane Davies, Ted. I'm sure the fact that his half-sister was once married to his half-brother sort of muddied things!

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

Soaps just love to do those episodes "narrated by the dead" today. I honestly hate the conceit, but I would love to have seen an episode narrated by Channing or Elena.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

I bet a good bit of PhotoShop was at work there since, in reality, there is only one Roscoe Born. Hee.

Yeah, but it looks like there was an actual photoshoot. Nowadays, all covers are photoshopped publicity stills.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Yeah, but it looks like there was an actual photoshoot. Nowadays, all covers are photoshopped publicity stills.

True, it was from an actual photoshoot. Which looks a hell of a lot nicer than the slapped-together mess soap mag covers have today! Roscoe looked not much taller than Carrington, though maybe that just depends on her heels and perspective.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Well, capridge had it right: Vincent Irizarry may be a great actor, but ol' Dr. Scott Clark was a dick.

I got some more SB stuff and some of the Heather/Scott/Celeste stuff was in those episodes. There was even a bit of Nathan Purdee's Jed in it, too. Also on it was CG's first scenes as Kelly back home in SB. (Her VERY first were with MW's Eden in Paris [not the remote; that would be months later]), but what I got was her next to first scenes with C.C., Megan, Sophia, and T.J. She seemed good right out of the gate, IMO.

But, yeah, Scott. He really did a number on poor Heather. If Michael were any sort of brother, he should have decked him!

By the way, Téa Leoni, ex-Mrs. David Duchovny, was also included as Mason's secret drinking was coming to a head. (Tawny Kitaen had taken her leave of absence for, I think, her honeymoon.) She wasn't bad, but she was much more subdued than TK's Lisa.

Edited by WendyCR72, Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:31 PM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

I think Vincent Irizarry, talented as he is, can flounder with a poorly written part (as many can). On GL, Nick McHenry was just dull and sanctimonious, and dragged people down.

Scott and Celeste both seem so wan.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

I just found out from reading another vintage SOD article that there was yet ANOTHER off- AND on-screen romance going on in 1985 on SB - Todd McKee and Julie Ronnie (Ted and Laken):

http://www.mylanedav...Happenings.html

Here are two profiles in SOD of Robin Wright - from 1985 and 1987, and it's interesting to see how her mindset about the show was:

http://www.mylanedav...obinWright.html

http://www.mylanedav...obinWright.html

Also, here is a blurb about Rosemary Forsyth, and why she was ultimately replaced by Judith McConnell:

http://www.mylanedav.../0924/News.html

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

Thanks for the links, catlover. I notice RW referred to SB as paid training. I guess soaps are that to many an actor, and I had no issue. But it seemed, in later years, RW seems ashamed of that work. (Someone here mentioned her ducking her head on Chelsea Lately, as an example.) And as much as I like her as an actress, that attitude still bugs me. I wish more were like Nathan Fillion, who embraces his soap past and doesn't look down on it. But I know that attitude is rare. For both actors and the overall Hollywood attitude regarding soaps.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

I was laughing at and a little scared by her demands to know who had said she was tough to work with. I imagine that set keeping some distance from her.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

I was laughing at and a little scared by her demands to know who had said she was tough to work with. I imagine that set keeping some distance from her.

Yeah, that is not the first time I had read those claims. And Mark Arnold, Joe #2, later admitted RW was less than friendly. I get the show fired Dane Witherspoon and it had to be rough, but (even if I did not care for MA) the poor guy was just trying to do his job. He didn't fire DW.

I really wish the BTS drama on soap sets is televised. I bet the ratings for that would be huge! (Heck, I remember seeing a picture in SOD or somewhere of a Pepsi machine covered with an actress' clothes on the SB set! It said the actress was protesting not having her own dressing room or it was too small, etc. I recall reading much later that it was Louise Sorel who did that. LOL!)