Diana Degarmo: Loud Is the New Good

• Please log in to reply

6834 replies to this topic

Q1351

Q1351

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

Although the music video could have been better, I think that it was very good for the limited budget that Diana and Ace had to work with. The music video showed all the heartbreak and emotion that the lyrics of “Good Goodbye” were meant to convey. I agree that Diana’s cut was better because she allowed us to dwell more on the couples emotions were the director’s cut gave us more imagery. Now that the music video, for “Good Goodbye”, is in the can, so to speak, I await the music video for “Live to Love” with bated breath.

I’m guessing that the 3 songs, on Diana’s new EP, will be “Good Goodbye”, “Live to Love”, and “You”. The other song that Diana previewed, on the youngbrothersentertainment website, “I Thought I Told You” will probably be on her next EP along with “Right Back Where We Ended”.

Living and working together can work especially that Diana and Ace don’t have to make compromises in their relationship because they share a lot of common interests. I also think that they truly enjoy each other’s company. Diana said that they don’t need a ring to show that they love each and unless Diana and Ace are playing their cards close to the vest, I don’t think that they will get married for a few years.

SunnyArizona

SunnyArizona

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

Diana and Ace were interviewed by Shirley Halperin of The Hollywood Reporter for her weekly "Idol Hangover" series. It's about 20 minutes long and pretty hilarious. Shirley jokingly referred to it as the first x-rated idol hangover show. It's not THAT risque but Diana and Ace do joke around a bit, obviously cracking up the people watching the interview behind the cameras.
Idol Hangover

SunnyArizona

SunnyArizona

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Yay! The video for "Good Goodbye" is now on iTunes. It was supposed to be available a couple of weeks ago but as usual someone on Diana's team screwed it up. Story of her career.

Now if we could get that EP released. Diana indicated it would be out in May and was supposed to have a date for the release a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately she, Vill, Rachele Royale, and Ace have started tweeting again about that fucking All Access crap. Do. Not. Want. If she thinks that's what her fans want to hear then I'm sure she'll realize differently when she sees the difference in sales between "Good Goodbye" (around or over 15,000 downloads) and whatever that group releases. I have no tolerance for Vill and Rachele Royale possibly diverting Diana's attention away from her music and what her fanbase wants to buy.

Laura11

Laura11

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

I don't blame you, Sunny, I'm not crazy about that all access thing either...for ace or diana. I'm also a little miffed that both Diana and Ace seem to have left Broadway behind. And now that they're doing that concert in Missouri right in the middle of summer, it prevents them from getting any more parts. I was hoping to see them both on Broadway again some day.

Edited by Laura11, May 16, 2012 @ 12:21 PM.

SunnyArizona

SunnyArizona

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

Diana's EP titled "Live to Love" will be available on iTunes Tuesday May 22nd. She told an online radio show (The Soap Series) that the EP has 5 songs, including "Good Goodbye" and "Live to Love," along with 2 previously unheard songs and a duet with Ace called "Us Against the World." I'm so glad she added 2 more songs to the EP (last month she said there would be 3 songs).

Edited by SunnyArizona, May 18, 2012 @ 5:17 PM.

tick talk

tick talk

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

Does the Soap Series have the interview online or was it only available to hear live?

ETA: I think her two unnamed songs will probably be "Thought I Told Ya" and "You". Those are featured on the YBE website.

Edited by tick talk, May 18, 2012 @ 6:39 PM.

CoConspirator

CoConspirator

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:28 AM

Yes, her Soap Series interview is available. The Soap Series May 17th

I'm very happy Diana is finally able to get her music out and a 5 song EP will tide me over for at least a few months. She's already indicated there will be another EP before the end of the year and I'm hoping she includes one or two of her Nashville era tunes. We heard them live but never got recorded versions and she had some gems, like "Pause."

ETA:
The EP is now available on iTunes.

Live to Love

The 3 ballads (Good Goodbye, You, and Live to Love) are on repeat right now. So good-the lyrics, arrangements, Diana's voice. "Us Against the World" is a jaunty little duet between Diana and Ace. It's not the greatest song ever written by any means but it's a cute musical tribute to how much those two adore each other. You can almost see them smiling as they sing.

Edited by CoConspirator, May 22, 2012 @ 2:29 AM.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Congratulations to Ace and Diana :) The proposal was the best part of the finale for me (for you!)

CoConspirator

CoConspirator

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Well at least something made this finale memorable. LOL

Congrats to the future Mr. and Mrs. Young. It happened sooner than I expected but I'm not overly surprised. Those two pretty much live for each other.

SunFun

SunFun

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

I never would have thought of these two together, but they do seem like a good match. I would have preferred a private proposal, but that's me.

SunnyArizona

SunnyArizona

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

Congrats Diana and Ace. I'm not always 100% sold on Ace because of some of his personal quirks and big mouth but I know he loves Diana. And she adores him right back. I wish them nothing but happiness together.

Ace explained to People Magazine how he pulled this off without her being any the wiser:

It was the engagement seen 'round the world Wednesday night on American Idol, so how did Ace Young manage to pull off his surprise proposal to fiancée Diana DeGarmo?

With a little help from his Idol family, it turns out.

"I called [producer] Nigel [Lythgoe] directly last week and said, 'I want to do this. I'm going to do this. Is there any way I could do it at the show?' " Young, 31, told PEOPLE at the Ford-sponsored American Idol season 11 finale post party. "He said 'Yes, I'm not going to tell anybody until the day of ... [and] I want you to figure it out with Ryan [Seacrest]."

Apparently though, Diana almost messed things up:

DeGarmo, 24, who was "completely caught off guard," almost thwarted Young's big plan at the last minute.

"I actually almost got up to go to the bathroom to fix my hair," she said, laughing.

People.com

The "plug" to the jeweler seemed tacky when I first heard it but as it turns out he's buddies with the guy and they worked together to design the ring. When he got nervous and choked up it came out like he was thanking the jeweler. In retrospect I believe he was just trying to let Diana know who helped him create the ring. I'd certainly hope the big picture is what is remembered (love and happiness) and not a nervous groom to be tripping over his words.

Q1351

Q1351

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

The EP, “Live to Love”, is fantastic. “Good Goodbye”, “Live to Love”, and “You” are excellent ballads and radio worthy. “I Thought I Told You” is full of sass and in my mind as good as Carrie’s “Before He Cheats”. “Us Against The World” is a little out of place, on the EP, but I liked it. I would have liked it much more if they left the song a cute little ditty. I found it to be a bit over produced. The only thing that continues to nag at me is the way Ace keeps hyping “Live to Love” as Diana’s first country music EP. I don’t like the fact he is dismissive of the couple of years Diana spent in Nashville and “Unplugged In Nashville” which is also an excellent EP.

The "plug" to the jeweler seemed tacky when I first heard it but as it turns out he's buddies with the guy and they worked together to design the ring. When he got nervous and choked up it came out like he was thanking the jeweler. In retrospect I believe he was just trying to let Diana know who helped him create the ring. I'd certainly hope the big picture is what is remembered (love and happiness) and not a nervous groom to be tripping over his words.

Very well said. I commend Ace for even being able to get the words out proposing to the woman I love on national TV.

I always had the feeling that they were meant for each other from the first time I saw them in “Hair” both on stage and at the stage door. They work so well together and Diana confirmed that Ace was the only one that could bring out her full range of emotions that she needed to actually be Sheila. I never thought that AI would ever bring Diana back to perform let alone be proposed to at the finale. Kudos to AI and Ryan. The proposal brought tears to my eyes and I’m so happy for Diana and Ace.

Congratulations Diana and Ace and may you “Live long and prosper”.

CoConspirator

CoConspirator

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Ace explains the jeweler "plug:"

"They didn't give it to me for free," Young told E! News exclusively. "The reason why I mentioned them in the proposal was because I went to them the Friday before and said I wanted a special ring made and they did it in four days! They did an amazing job. They made a beautiful masterpiece for my future wife and I am so happy."

Young was so excited when he saw the diamond stunner (a three-diamond custom-made ring set on an 18-karat yellow gold band) that he told the jewelry designer, "I am gonna pimp you guys out," and made sure to mention the company on the show.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the right one and this makes total sense to me, especially given Ace's overenthusiastic, impulsive nature. He doesn't always think through how people will interpret what he says but Diana's happy, Ace is happy and I'm happy for them.
Link to article

Q1351

Q1351

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

There have been quite a few posts on Ace’s thread about Diana’s and Ace’s engagement, when and where the wedding will take place, and how soon children will be in their future. I thought that I would bring the topic up in Diana’s thread also. So let the speculations begin.

I don’t think that there was any doubt about Diana and Ace getting engaged eventually but I have a feeling that it was Ace’s idea to do it sooner rather than later. It’s Diana’s option to set the date and I’m betting that Diana will choose later rather than sooner. I also think that Ace is more ready to have children than Diana. Even though Diana loves children, I can see her waiting until her early thirties. Six or seven years will be a long time for Ace, but by 37 or 38, Ace will not be over the hill.

I believe that the venue, of the wedding, is going to be a very hard decision. There will be some very long conversations but ultimately Diana will have the final say on this matter. I don’t know about Ace, but Diana’s family is all over the country and after all family comes first. I don’t think the wedding will be in LA. But if it is not Atlanta, I would guess Colorado because of its more central location.

CoConspirator

CoConspirator

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

MDA utilized their Google + page as part of a backstage hangout at the MDA Opry event Tuesday night in Nashville. Diana and Ace were interviewed for about 15 minutes and then did half an hour of interviews with various MDA youth ambassadors as well as Diana's country singer buddy, Ty Herndon (who bestowed his blessing on Ace to marry Diana. Cute).
Diana and Ace backstage at The Opry

My favorite part was Ace going through the week leading up to the proposal and how tough it was to keep it a secret, partially because he's apparently a "sleep talker" and was afraid he'd say something in his sleep Diana would hear that would blow the whole thing. LOL

Edited by CoConspirator, Jun 6, 2012 @ 1:01 AM.

Q1351

Q1351

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

Diana tweeted, earlier this evening, that she was off to NYC for a call back. I would have to think that this is something big or she wouldn’t have left Branson. I’m hoping this has something to do with an original role on Broadway. It was cute that Diana used the hash tag #missinghimalready at the end of her tweet.

Laura11

Laura11

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 12:08 PM

Well, good for her! I'm so glad she's continuing to pursue Broadway.

tick talk

tick talk

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

Diana and Ace performing Us Against The World in Branson.

SunnyArizona

SunnyArizona

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

From the Joplin Globe:
http://www.joplinglo...n-Branson-stage

Diana DeGarmo remembers the night Ace Young asked her to be his wife.

It was May 23, during the finale of “American Idol” season 11. Young shocked her -- and “Idol” viewers -- with an on-air marriage proposal. She accepted.

“I was the last one to get the memo about the proposal,” the 25-year-old “American Idol” runner-up said. “As a girl we all kind of visualize what it will be like when it happens, if it happens. I had no expectation. Then I met Ace.

Young successfully kept the secret from DeGarmo for a couple of weeks, planning and plotting his proposal with show producers.

“It was the only time I could catch her off guard,” said Young, who placed seventh in the fifth season of “American Idol.”

I had the love of my life and I just wanted her to know how much she means to me. In that moment, she deserved for the world to know that I loved her. That was the biggest mountain I could scream my love for her from.”

This article refers to her as a current cast member of Y&R, and Diana mentioned the gig not too long ago in present tense terms so I'm hoping Angelina heads back to Genoa City pretty soon. There's a lot left unfinished with that character, with either Kevin or Carmine.

Q1351

Q1351

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

Is there confirmation that Diana is returning to Y&R? Well, watch the video from a Branson commercial on Power 96.5. Ace hint that they will be bringing Angelina back to LA after their gig in Branson is over.

Power 96.5

Also, as we have heard, in a few interviews, that they will start to plan their wedding. I had to chuckle a little bit because, after planning a few weddings myself, I think that they are going to be in for their biggest challenge as a couple so far. At least the weddings I planned were local; they are going to have to plan for a wedding that covers the east coast to Hawaii. Guest lists, venue, a date, logistics, I guess, will be a nightmare. I would imagine only the entertainment will not be a problem.

It’s also great to see, that beside performing and writing together, there are many other interests that Diana and Ace enjoy doing together. Diana is a bit of a dear devil which we learned when she drove a race car at over 135 mph and a quad during the filming of “Gone Country”. Now, we find, while in Branson, Diana and Ace enjoyed parasailing, tubing, go karts, and zip lining. Diana seems to be fearless and I would love to see Diana try hang gliding, sky diving, and snowmobiling while on a visit to Colorado.

SunnyArizona

SunnyArizona

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

From another radio interview they did on Friday it sounds like her brother David (who will be walking her down the aisle) is deploying in a couple of weeks to Afghanistan. Diana and Ace said they are just waiting for him to get his return date so they can schedule the wedding for shortly after he gets back. With that in mind, my guess is August 2013 for the Diana-Ace nuptials. My advice to them is hire a wedding planner and find a venue that has everything "in house" (wedding, reception, catering).

And yeah, Angelina will definitely be back on Y&R even if just for a couple episodes. Angelina vs Abby Newman is going to be comedic gold.

Edited by SunnyArizona, Jul 14, 2012 @ 4:13 PM.

Laura11

Laura11

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

No, no sky diving! Too dangerous! Did Diana not get the part she auditioned for on Broadway? I just heard that that Zoey D. person from that TV show just got the part of Loretta Lynn on Broadway. I thought right away that that must have been the part that Diana auditioned for. And that Zoey person sort of reminds me of Diana so that would make sense. If that's true, it's too bad. Diana would have made a great Loretta Lynn.

Q1351

Q1351

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

I agree that Diana would have made a great Loretta Lynn but I’m quite sure this wasn’t the part that Diana auditioned for in NYC. The announcement, that Zooey Deschanel was to portray Loretta Lynn, was made back in May and supposedly she was handpicked by Loretta. Talk about stunt casting for Zooey is not from the south and even though she can sing, it would be a stretch for her to sound like a country music singer. At least Sissy Spacek, who portrayed Loretta in the movie, is from Texas and has had a country music album.

Sorry, I meant tandem sky diving and hang gliding. Although there are risks, neither is all that dangerous with certified instructors.

Diana’s big brother David means the world to her and I would expect that he would be the one to walk her down the aisle. I agree that we will probably not see a wedding until next summer. I imagine that there guest list would be upwards of 300 family and friends.

Laura11

Laura11

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

Oh, thanks for letting me know. I didn't know any of that. They just announced it on one of those entertainment tonight shows so I thought it was something new. What a shame that Diana doesn't get to play her. I would think the country world would be aware of Diana's talents by now, especially since Dolly Parton had all those nice things to say about her. I didn't even know Diana had a big brother until yesterday. I hope he stays safe in Afghanistan.

SunnyArizona

SunnyArizona

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

Diana and Ace on Good Day LA

I always enjoy it when Diana is on this show because the hosts have known her since her season of AI and just seem to adore her. The wedding date is still up in the air but one of their potential first dance songs is "Till There Was You" because it was Ace's grandparents favorite love song. Great segment.

tick talk

tick talk

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Aww, Ace and his grandparents have a beautiful favorite love song from The Music Man.

ETA: Diana's been busy today. Another interview.

Edited by tick talk, Jul 27, 2012 @ 7:10 PM.

CoConspirator

CoConspirator

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

They are planning to do an EP of duets. I'd rather have ALL solo music from Diana but I'm also relieved that horrible "All Acces" group idea has been dropped. Besides, Diana and Ace were pretty damn good together singing in Branson. I thought they slayed "Any Way You Want it" and "Crazy Train."
They'll also appear together as themselves in a holiday TV movie called "Christmas Eve." Haylie Duff is the star and Patrick Muldoon (Austin on Days of Our Lives) is also in it. Patrick tweeted about how great they sounded so obviously they'll be singing.
Tweeted pic from the set.

Edited by CoConspirator, Jul 28, 2012 @ 4:33 PM.

CoConspirator

CoConspirator

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

I go back and forth on how I feel about Ace but after watching this interview I'm not happy at all. I now agree with those who feel Ace has taken over Diana's life and career. He even interrupted a question clearly asked of her and answered it for her. Everything from now to the end of the year involves Ace. I wasn't as concerned when it was a 50/50 split between her projects and their projects but there's nothing on the horizon demonstrating Diana has her own career. It's their Marie Osmond show appearance, their cameo in the Hilary Duff tv movie, their performance at The Georgia Music Hall of Fame Awards, and their duets EP. This seems great for Ace who hasn't done anything of note in two years but it reduces Diana who has always maintained a vibrant professional career.

And now someone-probably Ace-has had the bright idea that 25 year old Diana should tie herself down to a Vegas lounge act with him. I wouldn't normally have a problem with Vegas but now it feels like the final nail in the coffin of her independence. While she's giving her entire professional career to Ace, other actresses, some of whom aren't in her league, are getting prime theater roles and showing up in guest spots on shows like Smash, Glee, and other opportunities that would be right up her alley.

By the end of 2013 she'll be Mrs. Ace Young and I wish them 50 years of personal happiness. But by the end of 2013 she might also be known primarily as "half of that American idol reality couple, Diana and Ace" and with that she can kiss 8 years of hard earned individual success and respect goodbye.

Laura11

Laura11

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

CoConspirator, I understand completely with what you're saying and can see how it must be frustrating. But I don't think Ace is stopping her from Broadway auditions. She just auditioned back in June or July with Ace's blessing I assume. It's not Ace's fault that she didn't get the part or parts she auditioned for. I'm hoping that they haven't completely given up Broadway. I'm glad at least that Diana seems extremely happy. She recently said " I thank God every day that I found Ace." I don't know whether this will be a short term thing or long term but I hope Diana will still be able to audition for other things.

SunnyArizona

SunnyArizona

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Diana used to have a laser focus when it came to her career. That's what helped her land work for years. She was on track to originate a lead role on Broadway after Hair and her success leading the 9 to 5 national tour. Then she got Young and the Restless, which was awesome. But instead of leveraging that with her normal determination she got sidetracked with stuff like All Access and doing a bunch of joint appearances on tv with Ace. So instead of it being a spring board to something else she ended up not gaining much. The Diana of 2010 wouldn't have let that happen.

She writes all her music with him. She never goes on TV or does any interviews without him. She's very close to becoming better known for her relationship with him than the stuff she's done on Broadway. On top of that it seems Ace has a stupid streak, which he demonstrated recently with his obnoxious and borderline illiterate attempt to edit his and Diana's Wikipedia entries. Instead of discouraging his behavior or making him write an appropriate Wiki entry she went right along with his Twitter outburst over the whole thing. It's like he sucked her brain and common sense out with a straw at the same time he stole her heart.

Yeah, I'm frustrated. And no, I won't be making the drive to Vegas to see their show if it happens. I will not support Diana flushing her career down the toilet in order to give Ace something to do.

Edited by SunnyArizona, Aug 29, 2012 @ 3:36 PM.