Texas: Iris's Revenge?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

26 replies to this topic

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

• Interests:Slummin' it and lovin' it.

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 7:12 PM

Texas! Starring Beverlee McKinsey!

1980-1982

I started this thread a while back, and I loved someone's witty response as to why the show didn't last: Because anyone who was any good was on the original Another World. I guess it proves that Beverlee McKinsey couldn't carry a show on her own.

Edited by TheCustomOfLife, Feb 1, 2004 @ 2:54 PM.

10rags

10rags

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 7:21 PM

I watched and loved BMc to the max...that woman could act without chewing up the scenery! And the way she could say Daah-dee!

Edited by 10rags, Jan 29, 2004 @ 7:22 PM.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 7:23 PM

Did Douglass Watson ever guest-star on Texas?

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 8:23 PM

Did Douglass Watson ever guest-star on Texas?

No.

I was never hooked on "Texas" but I never hated it. It was just... there. They had some good actors - Daniel Davis was nothing like James Douglas, who originated the role of Elliot Carrington on AW, but he was a powerful actor in his own right. Carla Borelli was gorgeous and not a bad actress, and there were a few other good people, but it never, apart from the geographical thing, staked out a strong identity for itself. And I suspect that many of the viewers who turned in from AW weren't very interested in a softened Iris.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 8:33 PM

Daniel Davis...wasn't he Niles from The Nanny? He isn't really British?

Tartlet

Tartlet

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 8:47 PM

I know I'm dating myself here, but I remember watching the last year of Texas during grade school. At that time (pre-VCRs) it was the only soap in my area that aired at 4pm. I remember thinking Mark Wheeler was soooo dreamy and how lucky Ruby was that he chose her. Of course, the actress that played Ruby later went on to play Rose on Guiding Light and was responsible for breaking up my all-time favorite soap couple ever, Mindy and Rusty. Anyone else shed a tear during the final episode when Iris (in my memory it was Iris) raises her glass and makes a toast to Texas?

emdroberts

emdroberts

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 9:00 PM

Daniel Davis...wasn't he Niles from The Nanny? He isn't really British?

Yes, he was on The Nanny. And no, he's not really British. He's from Arkansas.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 9:03 PM

Shit. That's about as far away from London one can get, eh?

ETA: I just remembered a really touching story from the first thread. Who was it who said their grandmother who died really loved Texas, and as soon as they found it in repeats in the TV Guide, they went to the phone to call her, only to realize halfway there that she was dead? That made me want to cry just typing it.

Edited by TheCustomOfLife, Jan 29, 2004 @ 9:20 PM.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

Of course, the actress that played Ruby later went on to play Rose on Guiding Light and was responsible for breaking up my all-time favorite soap couple ever, Mindy and Rusty. Anyone else shed a tear during the final episode when Iris (in my memory it was Iris) raises her glass and makes a toast to Texas?

I hated Rose. Hated hated hated Rose. Didn't love her as Ruby either.

I think it was Reena who made the final toast. Possibly her mother. But Iris was long gone by then.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 2:46 PM

I couldn't find out who made the last toast. I found out two things by looking at AWHP, though: They have two volumes of Texas tapes on sale (I think any AWHP tapes are too high-priced), and I found out that Douglass Watson did guest-star. Let me find the bit about it.

AW Crossovers

Texas

Brian appeared on Texas to divorce Iris a few weeks into the new series. Mac also visited Iris in that time period.

The character of Vivien, which had originated on AW, was transferred back to AW two months after Texas's cancellation. The characters of Iris and Dennis followed suit, in 1988 and 1989 respectively, though Iris was played by a different actress.

Edited by TheCustomOfLife, Feb 1, 2004 @ 2:48 PM.

bluedevilblue

bluedevilblue

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 7:40 PM

I watched Texas, but don't remember much - which I guess says it all. I have a vague recollection of Kin Shriner shirtless in the stables.

ubi

ubi

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 7:05 PM

I remember seeing it once on Thanksgiving day. Worst. Show. Ever.
I no longer remeber the details but the whole family laughed its arse off at this one scene with these three blond girls getting confronted by a guy in a wheelchair in an elevator which filled with poisonous gas and when the paramedics arrived they were all trying to warn them about the (obvious) toxic fumes coming out.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 10:06 PM

Hm. That sounds so snarktastically dumb. Can anyone elaborate as to why that was?

Mrs OldManBalls

Mrs OldManBalls

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 9:11 AM

I always thought it was a man who did the final toast.
I'm probably way off, I was just a kid when it aired. ( My grandma convinced mom to let me skip school to see the final episode. Thanks Grandma!)
I also remember one of the women using milk to do the toast because she ( the character not the actress) was pregnant.

I kind of liked Texas, but like I said I was a kid.

Darn

Darn

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 9:48 AM

Vicky Bellman gave the final toast. You were in school on New Year's Eve?

Edited by Darn, Mar 15, 2004 @ 9:54 AM.

Mrs OldManBalls

Mrs OldManBalls

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 9:59 AM

It was a Sunday school-ly kind of thing during the mass.

I feel bad that I thought this poor woman was a man!

welcomematt

welcomematt

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 9:43 PM

I thought Pamela Long's Ashley was magical. I was really interested when she started writing for the show. I think it was after she married Jay Hammer, who played someone on the show but I can't remember who. She was a good headwriter, I thought. I have the impression that the show markedly improved under her tenure. Her scenes are what I remember from the show, especially when she disappeared in the flood, when she was driving alone, and she came back, pregnant, I think, and knelt down in front of her husband. Something like that. I still remember her hand as the flood enveloped the car. She had charisma to spare, IMO.

orangemm

orangemm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2006 @ 5:42 PM

Oh my, I can't believe that others remember this soap! I used to rush home from work just to watch it (pre-VCR).

They also published a newsletter that had interesting tidbits about the actors and even recipes. I remember making one of them and now I wish I had the darn thing. It was delicious.

Oh, the memories!

miliosr

miliosr

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 12:53 PM

FYI -- The first fifteen episodes of Texas are now available online at AOL Video. Proctor & Gamble has made them available along with episodes from some of its other soaps like Another World.

I've watched the first five episodes from August of 1980 and I have to say that the show holds up remarkably well after 26 years.

The biggest shock to me was to see just how much soaps have changed (for the worse) since 1980. Based on the evidence from Week 1 of Texas, soap writing in 1980 was much more intelligent, the characters were much more realistic and the dramatic situations sprang from actual character motivations instead of springing out of nowhere.

Also, it's fascinating to see just how long scenes were back then. For Week 1, scenes last anywhere from five minutes to 10 minutes. You would think this would produce a lot of "ums" and "ahs" from the actors but the Texas cast breeze through the scenes with a minimum of stammering. Contrast that to today's soaps where the scenes are shorter but the actors can't seem to get through them without stammering.

It was great to see Beverlee McKinsey again and, now that all the controversy about whether a mellower Iris was a good idea or not has faded with time, it is possible to enjoy her performance for the great portrayal it is. Jim Poyner was my favorite Dennis so it was nice to see him again. Apart from McKinsey and Poyner, I would say that the early standouts among the women are Carla Borelli as Reena and Lisby Larson as Paige and the early standouts among the men are Phillip Clark as Ryan and Jerry Lanning as Justin.

The storylines were pretty good for Week 1 -- Iris and Alex Wheeler come face-to-face after 25 years, the Marshall family deals with the suicide of family patriarch Mike Marshall and Ryan Connor casts his restless gaze on Ginny Marshall for the first time. There were some clunkers too -- the Dennis Carrington/Dawn Marshall pairing is dull and chemistry free and a very young Catherine Hickland is wasted in the Courtney Marshall/Kevin Cook adulterous love affair (he is Reena's husband at this point.) (My negative opinion of the latter may be a result of liking Hickland so much as Lindsay on One Life To Live where she gets to raise hell!)

I'll post more thoughts when I get done with Week 2 . . .

Edited by miliosr, Sep 1, 2006 @ 12:55 PM.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2006 @ 5:10 PM

I loved Carla Borelli as Reena. What a vibrant, beautiful woman, what terrific energy she brought to the role, and yet Reena, who was never really a villainess, never won out at anything, never got anything she really wanted. I always wondered why the show was so cruel to the character.

miliosr

miliosr

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 2, 2006 @ 9:21 AM

TudorQueen -- Reena did win out in the very end, though. In the final episode, she and Grant Wheeler (who was the true great love of her life) were reunited and flew off into the sunset together. But I agree with you that it was hard journey for Reena (often of her own making) before that.

butheircousins

butheircousins

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 10:25 PM

I am watching Texas with Catherine Hickland (OLTL) and Kin Shriner (GH). They must have found the fountain of youth because they don't look any different now than they did then. This show must be more 25 years old. It's pretty amazing and there are actually scenes that last more than 5 minutes long. This was a time when they had money to burn and writers who knew how to write. I guess you would call these the good ole days!

doguncle

doguncle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 6:45 AM

It happened in real life as well as Carla Borelli and Donald May are still together, IIRC.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 2:29 AM

RIP Beverlee McKinsey

Thank goodness her brilliant work is still available for everyone to see.

secretagentman

secretagentman

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 11:29 AM

I grew up watching her. She was awesome. Good or bad she always brought it. I'm just sorry she didn't work more. Also, because I am a loser, I still can recall her characters full name; Iris Koslov Cory Carington Delaney Bancroft Wheeler (twice).

miliosr

miliosr

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2008 @ 7:48 AM

What sad news.

She was one of the greatest (if not the greatest) actresses in daytime history. She was brilliant as Iris on Another World and Texas and her strange, incestuous relationships with her father (Mac) and her son (Dennis) were unlike anything else on daytime. Lightning struck twice when she joined Guiding Light as Alexandra Spaulding Von Halkein. Any scene with her and Vincent Irizarry (as Lujack) and Mary Kay Adams (as India) was dynamite.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 4:16 AM

Co-creator and EP Paul Rauch has passed away:

http://www.welovesoa...h-obituary.html