Spin-offs: Is there life beyond Smallville?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

265 replies to this topic

inked

inked

Couch Potato

• Interests:Carnivale FTW!

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 12:32 PM

Dick, young circus detective? NOT seeing it.

Nightwing seems to perfectly fit their demo, and lets not forget he's a bit of a slut. He is often paired with Batgirl/Oracle and there can a whole season of angst and love stuff about how she got shot and needs to deal. And love triangles... *gag*

Also, why must the main character always be male? I'm all for a Batgirl/Oracle show, or Nightwing AND Batgirl on equal footing.

scout1279

scout1279

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 1:36 PM

I'm all for a Batgirl/Oracle show, or Nightwing AND Batgirl on equal footing.

Me too. I would actually prefer that. As much as I've recently discovered how much I love Nightwing, Batgirl has always been my girl. Also, it just ocurred to me that if they really feel the need to do a show about a Bat-character pre-costume, Barbara Gordon would work so much better.

-She was much older than Dick when she became a costumed vigilante.
-She only became Batgirl because she couldn't be a cop, so crime fighting is more of an inherent character trait for her.
-Her dad is a cop, so she's got reason to be connected to mysteries and such.
-You could still have Dick Grayson on the show without any Batman and Robin stuff.
-If it's anything like Smallville, TPTB love using computer hacking as a crutch to get around stuff. Barbara Gordon is a friggin' super genius.

TeeVee329

TeeVee329

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 2:16 PM

Not going to lie...this idea sounds kinda cruddy and I have no faith whatsoever in the brain trusts behind Smallville...but I will totally watch this if it goes to series.

But why does it have to be a prequel? Why can't it just be a series about Robin? It's not like the current film franchise wants anything to do with him. Update the costume a la Green Arrow. Show him balancing high school with his late nights as a costumed crimefighter. Maybe make finding his parents' killer an ovearching story. Throw in Alfred, use the second-tier Bat villains. Have the Teen Titans or Batgirl help out from time to time. It could totally work.

Eurybia

Eurybia

Fanatic

• Interests:Television, movies, reading, history, local music

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 2:53 PM

Not going to lie...this idea sounds kinda cruddy and I have no faith whatsoever in the brain trusts behind Smallville...but I will totally watch this if it goes to series.

And the totally sad thing is I probably will too. I was laughing about it and going "Huh? Why?" and then I suddenly realized I was totally going to watch it.

Which is stupid because I watch Smallville and so I know. They're going to do it badly.

It's a circus drama (yes, that's right, I just typed the words 'circus drama'), or even cheesier, a travelling circus crime show, where young Dick solves crimes in every town the carnival travels too.

There is no way this can turn out well. Especially not on the CW. If it was on another network, made by different people, it could be interesting and possibly awesome, despite the underwhelming concept. But this?

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 10:17 PM

At first, my reaction was "Hmm? Really?" but then I read the aricle, and saw a key sentence:

Souders and Peterson have come up with an original take on the character.

And that's when I got a lot more interested in it.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 10:49 PM

I don't think I've read one positive comment about this Robin announcement other than that, knowing Smallville, he'll be 20 by the time his parents die and even then he won't meet Bruce Wayne.

Sadly, if this got a pilot commitment, odds are good we'll see new Grayson on Smallville 8 or 9.

Edited by CantThinkUpName, Oct 1, 2008 @ 10:51 PM.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 11:33 PM

I'm an eternial optimist.

Plus, I have this fasination with the adaptation process, and know that changes are needed when bringing something from one medium to another.

True, some changes work better than others, but that's all relative, really.

If they want this to be an ongoing show, they key aspects of Dick pre-Robin career need altering. I'm willing to experience the ride.

Edited by Last Time Lord, Oct 1, 2008 @ 11:37 PM.

craptonite

craptonite

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 11:38 PM

Hopefully if they actually go through with this show they'll make Dick I mean D.J. about 10-12 and have be some sort of family show with the occasional crime drama. And it would be cool if they introduce Tony Zucco as a family friend. But odds are D.J. will be a teenage male whore who looks he should already be Nightwing. They'll throw in every bat related character they can past the embargo. Make dumb referneces to the schumacher movies and the Nolan Movies.

Although I guess it would be cool if they have DJ have a brief fling a certain alien princess and cyborg and Impulse from SV can cross over and we can have a TT epiosde.

Ah point me down for wait and see can't get worse than Smallville is right now and I still watch it.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2008 @ 11:45 PM

It'll work for me if he has to partner up with the midget from Twin Peaks to fight an evil preacher in the 1930s dust bowl.

Let's shake some dust children!

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 12:00 AM

I wonder why they feel they need to change Dick's name. Last week's Supernatural used "Dick" as an insult.

Zero Hour

Zero Hour

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 12:12 AM

God doesn't Robin have a bad enough rap as it is. This is the worst idea for a television show I've heard in awhile. I mean seriously was anyone really begging for a circus drama? Why set a show during the least interesting time of Dick Grayson's life? I'm sure in the mold of Smalliville the parents will be insanely preachy do-gooders while Dick *ahem* I mean DJ fights off incompetent villains. I'm just not sure what the point of this is. Will DC characters pop in all the time as ratings stunts even though they don't belong? Will the parents make constant jokey allusions to their immanent demise like Smallville does with the Superman mythos (ok this one would be kind of twisted and awesome)? It confuses me that the CW isn't trying to spin-off an already successful character from Smallville like Green Arrow instead of making this pathetic attempt to cash in on the Dark Knight and the naive hope that everyone will just love everything Batman related.

inked

inked

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 3:08 AM

CantThinkUpName, that is the only retelling of the story that I'll get fully behind. *sniff*

Independent

Independent

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 8:59 AM

My first thought was how can they write well for SV, when a lot of their energies and creative juices are diverted to the new project? Sure, they're worried about unemployment after SV, but they really need to concentrate on the task at hand, making the most of this opportunity, breathing new life into an aging franchise. Surely turning SV around, making it fresh and new w/o doing damage to the seven-year history, would enhance their reputations in the industry.

*not wanting SV to get short shrift*

*is there such a thing as long shrift?*

Positronic

Positronic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 9:13 AM

Could they incorporate DC's other trapeze artist hero, Deadman, into the
story line?

craptonite

craptonite

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 4:06 PM

It confuses me that the CW isn't trying to spin-off an already successful character from Smallville like Green Arrow instead of making this pathetic attempt to cash in on the Dark Knight and the naive hope that everyone will just love everything Batman related.

Would a Green Arrow spin-off really be any better at an attempt of showing your not cashing in on Batman when the character is a poor man's Batman? It's like everyone wants to do Batman but they can't so they do everything else they can. Birds of Prey, Adam Knight, Green Arrow the poor man's Batman,a failed Flash spin-off taking place in Gotham City,now the Graysons. The WB movie division should just let them have their Batman tv series.

Soleil

Soleil

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2008 @ 3:02 PM

Oh man, a sexy Nightwing Dick Grayson show sounds a million times better than circus family drama The Graysons.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2008 @ 6:29 AM

If they're that desperate for Dick (yes, I went there), why not do a Teen Titans series?

Because at some point they'd have to introduce Conner Kent. And they'd completely crush the great arc Conner Kent had before his death.

craptonite

craptonite

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2008 @ 9:58 AM

ecause at some point they'd have to introduce Conner Kent. And they'd completely crush the great arc Conner Kent had before his death.

Not really. Conner was a titan with Tim not Dick. Though I don't think they could use Cyborg since a theoretical Teen Titans show would take place some ten years after Smallville.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2008 @ 5:54 PM

Not really. Conner was a titan with Tim not Dick. Though I don't think they could use Cyborg since a theoretical Teen Titans show would take place some ten years after Smallville.

At some point they'd have to introduce the new team which would include Conner, Cassie, and Tim.

craptonite

craptonite

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2008 @ 12:02 AM

not necessarily. They could just base it around the Wolfman/Perez era before those characters showed up.

inked

inked

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2008 @ 2:28 PM

http://i112.photobuc...thegraysons.png

Shortpacked webcomic on The Graysons. I think I peed myself a little laughing about it.

craptonite

craptonite

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2008 @ 4:20 PM

lmfao. Is it sad that that's seriously close to what the show is gonna be like?

jwm

jwm

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 10:47 AM

"The Graysons" will follow the world of Dick "DJ" Grayson before he takes on the iconic Robin identity and aligns himself with Batman.

Not sure why this didn't bother me before but just what is "DJ" supposed to be short for? I'm pretty sure Robin's name is Richard. Why wouldn't they call him RJ? Wouldn't DJ be a nick name based off a nick name?

scout1279

scout1279

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2008 @ 2:18 PM

what is "DJ" supposed to be short for?

Obvious joke: Dick Johnson

Perhaps he's a big Full House fan.

Edited by scout1279, Oct 9, 2008 @ 2:19 PM.

TeeVee329

TeeVee329

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2008 @ 11:31 PM

No Go For "Graysons"

DavidHayes1956

DavidHayes1956

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 11:46 AM

Here's an idea I had for a spinoff years ago. I'm away from the computer when my Smallville stuff is stored, so I'll have to try to pull this one out of my fading, faulty memories.

Pete Ross has become a successful lawyer in Metropolis and marries Lana Lang. But Pete comes to hate the hectic city life and decides to move back to run the family creamed corn business in Smallville. Lana doesn't like the idea but decides to be the devoted wife and does her best to cope. The series would be called "Creamed Acres."

Here is the theme song for the show:

Pete: Creamed Acres is the place to be.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide.
I love crushing corn until it is liquified

Lana: Metropolis is where I'd rather stay.
Ever since my horsey ran away.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Crushed corn reminds me of Mom and Dad -- EE-EWW!

Pete: ...The chores.
Lana: ...The stores.
Pete: ...Air so pure!
Lana: ...Watching the Blur!

Pete: You are my wife.
Lana: Good bye, city life.
Both: Creamed Acres we are there.