X-Play: It's Game Time!

• Please log in to reply

6112 replies to this topic

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Aug 14, 2005 @ 8:40 PM

Thursday: We review Riviera and NBA Street Showdown. Plus, a preview of Digital Devil Saga 2, Games for Cheap Bastards and Full Metal Alchemist 2: The Revenge (This Time It's Personal.)

I guess for the Revenge, they're going to read the hate mail they got.

I dare you not to say "AWWWWWWW."

mrow

mrow

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2005 @ 8:57 AM

"Awwww"? More like "Ahhhhh!" Those puppies are playing games, do you know what that means? Those puppies are sentient, more then sentient in fact they're so intelligent they have mastered handheld games without the need for opposible thumbs. Surely these super puppies will one day dominate us all. Of course, I shall welcome our new puppy overlords with welcoming arms.

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2005 @ 5:10 PM

I say we break out the leashes and fight back! First they make us pick up after them and now THIS!? Anyway, I notice the new episodes start on Tuesday and not Monday. May I ask why? Or does The Plot Device have something to say about my not-being-in-the-know? Seriousely, I didn't know what was up with Tom Cruise! I just thought it was because he starred in War of the Worlds. I just assumed the movie had bombed (I haven't seen it) and Cruise was just being teased for it. I also notice that X-Play is about to open a can on FMA. If this is what they've been driven to, then the FMA fans must be more brutal than the DBZ fans. And here I am a member of both parties, just choosing inaction. I'm a sham... living a lie........ WHO AM I!?

Justin Cognito

Justin Cognito

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2005 @ 5:35 PM

Oh, and "We'd make a great couple. Of blokes. Couple of blokes."

As someone who rented and kinda enjoyed the first Fable, I'm excited about The Lost Chapters. More missions, same old man-loving, and only twenty bucks.

RTOlson

RTOlson

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 6:07 AM

What's perhaps most astounding about the Nintendogs in that ad is that they must be capable of using the stylus without opposable thumbs. I, for one, welcome our new canine overlords.

Ahem. It is really amazing how ferocious some game fans get when a review doesn't go their way. Down right scary.

LambyToes

LambyToes

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 10:12 AM

Isn't the new Fable just for the PC? Damn them.

I would have welcomed a sequel. I guess they could still make one.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 1:36 PM

Goddammit. God motherfucking shit dammit.

I'm depressed now. This better be the best game I played in my fucking life.

Edited by MegaJ, Aug 16, 2005 @ 1:40 PM.

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 2:02 PM

Oh, thank God! Before I clicked the link, I thought they had shitcanned Sessler or something. Fortunately, it was just Zelda getting delayed.

Wait, Zelda's getting delayed? MONGOOOOOOOOSE!!!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 5:37 PM

Adam can't get fired. Can you imagine the headlines weeks afterward? "Balding Madman Storms Anime Convention; Dozens Mildly Inconvienced"

BTW...played Nintendogs at Gamestop and Circuit City. Is this a real game? Can you score, or unlock stuff? All I know is that the puppies are unbearably cute, especially the faces they make when you scratch them. Putting little hats on them? Wrong on so many levels. I'm guessing that the X-Play Kittens will be all "The puppies can blow me" when the game gets reviewed.

cabbey

cabbey

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 10:28 PM

So is it just the summer game drought, or did cinematech get canned and XPLay has to pick up the slack of showing all the stupid new promo movies?

RTOlson

RTOlson

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 10:40 PM

I'm guessing it's the drought. Even with new games coming into the pipeline, the X-Play team doesn't review them until they've gotten their hands on them and played for a while.

Unfortunately, Cinematech is going to be with us for a long time to come. It's even getting a spin-off (at least I think it is). Cinematech:Nocturnal Emmissions will be part of the two-hour Burnt Biscuit Pie (or something) late-night show block, starting in a couple weeks.

I hope it doesn't replace the late showing of X-Play, but I think it will. Oh, it's called Barbed Wire Biscuit. I remember fast-forwarding through the "special" promo. It has the retread of Cinematech and Anime Unleashed as well as some "wacky" cartoon and a science-related show (the only one I like of the block).

I don't know for sure, but Nintendogs reminds of a tomagachi (remember those cheap Japanese pocket pets?) -- except with better graphics and stuff and it costs $150 more (with the cost of the DS itself). Actually, I think it might have a Sims-esque vibe going on except with cute puppies.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2005 @ 9:21 AM

Cinematech:Nocturnal Emmissions

Someone owes me brain bleach.

illogic

illogic

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 17, 2005 @ 11:05 PM

Xenu! You've finally come for me!

Brilliant, I tell you. Brilliant.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2005 @ 1:40 AM

I'm an episode behind, but 2 things:

First, after watching TAR3 and X-Play back to back, I see a slight resemblance between Flo and Morgan. Like they could be cousins or something...

Second, FF7 PS3 tech demo?!? Nerdgasm. Absolute nerdgasm.

Illusio

Illusio

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2005 @ 1:28 PM

Xenu! You've finally come for me!

Could not stop laughing at that. Made up for all of my shrieking the correct pronunciation of "Modin" at Morgan during the NHL game's review. ("Oui, oui, oui! It is 'Moh-deen'!")

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2005 @ 5:45 PM

I don't know which I was laughing harder at:

A) Xenu,
B) The graphic loading in Ryl, or
C) "Wait, aren't you Canadian?" "Only when it suits me."

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 18, 2005 @ 10:44 PM

Wow. It's just a vicious cycle...Adam pokes fun at FMA2, and gives it a 2/5. The fanboys lash out, and more fun is had. There's more lashing out...and we get to see the supporting characters read hate mail. At this point, I'm half-expecting Adam to get his ass kicked, all because of the 1% lunatic fringe that makes the other 99% look insane.

On a lighter note...Screaming Intern made me laugh too hard for my own good.

cabbey

cabbey

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 18, 2005 @ 11:54 PM

I think I'm going to have to start signing my corporate email "and in conclusion, BITE ME!"

Polter-Cow

Polter-Cow

Stalker

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:58 AM

I've been wondering. Are the other "characters" on the show (Link, Johnny Extreme, etc.) played by actual unpaid interns, or are they just actors?

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 6:34 PM

I believe that they're mostly the show's writers.

LambyToes

LambyToes

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:31 PM

Screaming Intern was the best thing I've ever seen on television. The Canadian conversation made me laugh too mtv but I don't know about Xenu I must have missed something.

I liked the Ryl review and the lead into it was great, but it would have been more convincing had we not known that Morgan actually doesn't like SW Galaxies becaue of all the walking. ... Okay I've just reached critical mass of geekness. I had to shunt a little of it out into the ether to keep myself balanced. :o)

Polter-Cow

Polter-Cow

Stalker

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 10:59 PM

I believe that they're mostly the show's writers.

Ha! That's awesome.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 2:25 AM

Next week's schedule:

Monday: We preview One Piece: Grand Battle, NHRA Drag Racing and Bet on Soldier: Blood Sport. Plus, our review of Ape Escape on the PSP and our MythCrackers re-enactment of game cliches.

Uh oh...all it takes is one crack or incorrect note about Zolo of Luffy, and the One Piece fanboys will be on their asses.

Tuesday: We review Romance of the Three Kingdoms X, Rengoku and Mercury. Plus, we offer up a preview of We Heart Katamari and show you some more Weird Games.

The giddiness of WLK will make up for another RofTK sequel. Maybe they'll bring in that puppy to review the latter game, since he did the preview. Not lil Peanut...the other one.

Wednesday: We take an advance peek at Shadow of the Colossus and D.I.C.E.. Plus, our reviews of Fantastic Four, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life.

Interesting mix...what appears to be an intense myth game, another anime title, movie adaptions that won't crack 2 out of 5, and a GameCube exclusive that is cute and addictive.

Justin Cognito

Justin Cognito

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 7:13 AM

I don't know about Xenu I must have missed something.

Read this. And yes, it's really that insane.

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2005 @ 1:10 PM

Great, a D.I.C.E. game. The show it was based on didn't last more than three episodes on Toonami before they moved it to the worst timeslot of em all, 6AM on Saturdays. And the interns and writers of X-Play sure are good actors--you know, for what they act as. It's like each of these people had some sort of dream to become actors someday, but instead got stuck as writers of X-Play, so they live out their fantasies in the wierd characters they come up with. And is it just me, or does Screaming Intern look an awful lot like Joey The Intern from Martin Sergants old show Unscrewed? And for that matter, what ever happened to old Marty and his hotter-than-hot, hell-of-a-lot-hotter-than-Morgan co-host Luara Swisher? Did they get fired after the show was canned? Or are they still around the old G4 offices, just prefering to be away from the camera?

RTOlson

RTOlson

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 21, 2005 @ 2:37 PM

The on-air cast of Unscrewed was fired when their show was cancelled. I don't know where they all are at this point.

Edited by RTOlson, Aug 21, 2005 @ 2:42 PM.

cabbey

cabbey

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2005 @ 12:20 AM

Anyone else surprised after all they ripped on Ape Escape that it managed a 2?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2005 @ 1:04 AM

Maybe Spencer asked very nicely. Wait, Spencer hates the idea of monkeys getting beaten up and captured. Never mind.

Is it me, or does the One Piece game look a lot like the Rave Master fighter? Nice that Morgan inflicted the rap theme on us. Too stupid, yet highly contagious.

RTOlson

RTOlson

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2005 @ 3:47 AM

I was guessing that Ape Escape would earn a 2 as soon as they said it was difficult to play (because they didn't remap the controls for the PSP and the game relies on two analog controls). That's a flaw that almost verges on a 1, IMO.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2005 @ 1:08 PM

Saw this show as I was flipping stations yesterday and maybe I just tuned in at the right (wrong) moment, but...

"Anal Tongue Darts"?

"Elephantitus of the balls"?

OMG, can they do this at 4pm on a weekday without incurring some serious FCC fines?