X-Play: It's Game Time!

• Please log in to reply

6112 replies to this topic

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 6:40 AM

pwbk, regarding Megan: According to her blog, the reason she didn't go back after the baby was she got an offer to be a tech writer for Microsoft (or something similar). She thought it was better since she could work at home and took it. If it wasn't for that offer, I know she would have been back on the air.

Back to topic. I too am a gamer, although more of a casual one, and I also use X-Play as a resource. I just know to listen to Morgan instead of Adam when it comes to my preferences, since I'm also more of an RPGer than an FPSer.

Fazzle

Fazzle

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 1:01 PM

I think I still prefer the Adam and Kate stuff, but on the other hand X-Play is easily loads better than EP when it was just Adam.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2004 @ 4:21 PM

Last night, they had an old ep, with Morgan and some other Tech TV guy at Comic Con International in San Diego. Let me tell you, that show is off the proverbial hook. And yeah...tons of people in costume. You will see more stormtroopers than in one SW movie.

Another aspect of the "Space Channel 5" review...Morgan questioning the logic of killing people in order to boost ratings. Cut to a Tech TV meeting. "Okay, ratings are down this month. Whose turn is it to be taken out back and shot?" Everybody points at Adam. Comedy gold, there.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 11:41 PM

Ah, yes, the only thing I don't like about X-Play: the 'let's play a game' thing they do at the closing credits of an episode once in a blue moon where there JUST HAPPEN to be some controllers and a console, more often than not a Gamecube, sitting right there, in front of them, so why not play some indiscriminate game? Let's not even NAME the game or anything, let's just play some random game, never knowing until it's too late whether it's Soul Calibur 2 or Fugitive Hunters! And while we're at it, let's just randomly mash buttons for about 5 seconds and consider the game complete! Adam, Morgan, do you have ANY CLUE how stupid that all sounds? And in fact is?
I don't know about you guys, but when I fire up MY Gamecube, I in fact pick a game to go in it as well, rather than just close my eyes, toss them all in the air, and play whichever one lands on my head. And when I play that game, I do not hit the Power button, mash buttons for 5 seconds, then turn it off, satisfied. If I did that, I'd be done before the Gamecube logo finished showing up on the screen. I'd be better off playing with cat toys.

Yes, I'm nit-picking. So what's wrong with nit-picking?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 11:50 PM

Thinking about the review for the "Metal Gear" game, where Morgan called Snake a dork several times. Yeah, that spin and "Sounds like a spy movie!" do kill me. But seriously...if this is a bad-ass first-person shooter (or whatever), how come Snake flirts with women and checks out butts? I do like that one woman sticking her ass out and Adam going, "You a big fine woman, won't you back that thang up." Cracked me up something fierce.

mrow

mrow

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2004 @ 9:45 PM

Well, I voted for my picks for the viewer mod episode. I'm pretty upset that the outfits I voted for Adam and Morgan to wear don't seem like they're going to win the vote. And as much fun as seeing Adam get spanked by Yuna would be, what I really wanted to see is them doing the hokey pokey.

Tinkie Winkie

tooltiming2002

tooltiming2002

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 5:15 AM

It's nice how a show called X Play can be so vicious when attacking titles like Ultimate Xtreme Maximum Hardcore Unleashed X

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 11:13 AM

I concluded a few things from the Viewer Mod vote (if it ended today), and none of them are all that shocking:
*X-Play fans, as a whole, want to hear Tinkie-Winkie. Because they're twelve and like bathroom humor. (Then again, I voted this way as well.)
*They picked the shirt of Morgan's that shows the most skin of the available options. Because they're twelve. If there was an option that said 'None of the above', they'd probably pick that. (I couldn't care less, but voted for the light-purple shirt.)
*They like Final Fantasy. A lot. Adam will only be getting spanked because the spanker is from Final Fantasy. (The other one they don't care about, as they get to pick two, but they're currently in favor of jazzercising. I voted for the mouths stuffed with marshmallows.) Whether this is because they're twelve is unclear.
*Where Final Fantasy is off the ballot, Star Wars wins. There is no age correlation, except for the possibility of people living in freaking BASEMENTS. BECAUSE THEY'RE TWELVE. (I'm going nuts, can you tell?)

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 12:26 PM

Yes, but don't the results of pretty much any Internet poll make the respondents look like they're twelve? ESPECIALLY when it concerns Final Fantasy?

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2004 @ 1:38 AM

I also picked the most popular choice for Morgan's outfit, because in the picture on the website, it looked like it had the Deanna Troi neckline. I may be 12, but I'm a geeky 12.

When picking Adam's outfit, I did this. I put the picture of Morgan (in the outfit I voted for) next to each of the choices for Adam. I then picked the outfit that seemed to fit with hers. It so happened that that was also the most popular choice, and also the one I'd personally wear.

I think I picked the marshmallows over the spanking and jazzercizing. I thought it was funnier.

And Tinkie-Winkie? No. Although if it wins, I hope it doesn't become another dik-dik.

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2004 @ 9:08 PM

Well, from the Warning: Incoming Scary Fanboys department, which TechTV hostess would you most like to see bare-ass naked? (Link is to playboy.com, and obviously NSFW)

Democracy in action. Uh, God Bless America?

mrow

mrow

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2004 @ 11:57 PM

Someone please make the scary fanboys go away *whimper*

Anyways, on to happier things, Adam and Morgan dressed up 80's style. Yay! Hee, Adam has such long and beautiful hair, truly he must be an idol to millions of fangirls. And apparently Morgan is now Misty from Pokemon.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2004 @ 9:55 AM

Proof that you should never doubt me when I say people are twelve. I'm just hoping the Scary Fanboys of X-Play are canceled out by the Scary Fanboys of Unscrewed, Screen Savers, Call For Help, and Tech Live (Tech TV's news program)... ah, who am I kidding? Video game fanboys trump all except sci-fi fanboys, and I don't see any sci-fi fanboys around. (Also? People like this get to vote. Also a guy that once hacked into Madonna's website to propose to Morgan-- and probably impress Jodie Foster.)

Anyway, there were about a million games erik316wttn and I remember playing last night, like that one where you shot through a cactus. We laughed heartily at ourselves back then.

Smackfu

Smackfu

Posted Feb 20, 2004 @ 11:38 AM

I love this show. Seems like every game they review is for the X-Box, which I don't have, but I still love it.

"dik dik" is funny.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2004 @ 3:24 AM

I played that game in CCI. I don't remember Dik Dik, though.

By the way: dresssing up in 80s gear and using 80s slang? Sad. Even if that's what you're going for? Still sad. And there's no Colecovision compliations? No Carnviale? No Smurf adventures? Dang. And I had an Adam...only computer system that ran on tape. Eh, we were young and stupid back then.

ETA: Is it just me, or does ragging on DBZ fans strike anybody like throwing hand grenades at fish in a barrel? It's just seems too easy.

Edited by Lantern7, Feb 21, 2004 @ 3:27 AM.

mrow

mrow

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2004 @ 8:28 PM

But lantarn7, making fun of DBZ fans, like stealing candy from babies, is fun because it's so easy.

What kind of computer system runs on a tape? And it's called an adam? Heh, that amuses me. Did it have games?

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 8:25 AM

Finally saw the retro-show. So much meta-commentary in that ep. Very cool. X-Play writers are not afraid to use the self-snark. It's rather refreshing.

I had a TI-99/4A in the mid-80s. Not only was it a cartridge machine, but it also used tape for storage. Regular audio tape. And a cassette recorder. Actually, I think I still have it, plus the few game carts we got for it. Doubtful on the tape.

Like the show, I'll ned with some mail, but with a twist. This is a quick open letter to the rabid DBZ fanboys/X-Play haters:

Hey pre-teens,

DBZ is not the be-all, end-all of anime. There's so much more, and so much better. Morgan knows, because she's watched it. You? Most likely haven't. Therefore, Morgan is definitely more otaku than you. Plus, it's supposed to be entertainment. Chill. Watch. Play. Relax.

Silversword

Silversword

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 11:13 PM

And now for the Dynamic Duo of gaming, Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb!
thank you, disembodied voice!

I love when they hate a game so much that they can barely even give it a 1 out of 5, ie. Aquaman(remember Adam's fish friend Slippy? mmm, Slippy..) and Superman(for the Nintendo 64). When they torture the interns is funny, also.

stupid prerendered backgrounds!

tjreess

tjreess

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 9:35 AM

The funniest had to be when the mocked the strange camera angles in survival horror games. I laughed hard as Adam tried to use the bathroom and then the angle would suddenly shift and he kept stumbling away. So much fun this show. And then they did it again last night. One thing about this show is you never have to worry about them going easy on particular genre or game system. Everything gets skewered atr one point or another.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 10:33 AM

"You never did make it, did you?"
"I wet myself."

Personally, I'm looking forward to them taking the American Idol game out back tonight. Along with everything else. I looked at tonight's ratings, and we have a 3, a pair of 2's and a pair of 1's (American Idol and a Star Trek game). And the 3 is one that's had less hype or anticipation than a Tampa Bay Lightning/Pittsburgh Penguins game. They'll be punting interns by the end of the night.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 1:46 AM

In the latest issue of Nintendo Power magazine (shut up. I only subscribed to get the free Zelda anthology disc), they've got the ballot for their annual game awards. They've got a new category this year, Best Mullets. The copy says that this award was specifically created for Aquaman to win. They say nothing about the gameplay, just the mullet. The 1 out of 5 is totally deserved.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 3:02 AM

They took AI to task...although isn't it unreasonable to demand singing when there's, like, ONE karaoke-style game out there?

Saw a special on violent games, with Morgan putting the hurt on Adam. "Postal 2" looks like fun...and I guess the PC version of "Vice City" rocks harder than the console. But seriously...Gary Coleman and shots of Canada covering up ultraviolence. Can you ask for anything more?

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 4:50 AM

That's one of my favorite special eps. And because of that ep, I find Morgan more scary than sexy. Still hot, but in a creepy way.

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 6:38 AM

Well, she is Death Incarnate.

tjreess

tjreess

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 8:24 AM

How can you have an Amercian Idol game and not sing along to it? Isn't that the whole point? Thinking you can do better than the people up there, and then proving it by singing along better than those people up there? (Ok sorry, wrong forum). Anyway, that violence episode was good, and I have to admit that now everytime I see violence on tv-vidoegame or otherwise-I see Canada blocking it out ;). And I wish I understand card games, because some of those games they show look interesting, but I get lost when I watch Yugi-oh (which Adam pronounced wrong once-btw) so I think I should just stick to DiabloII.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 1:48 PM

Wait...Adam mispronounced "Yu-Gi-Oh"? This isn't "Say-yan/Sigh-yan." It's Yoo-Gee-Oh. Unless Adam was trying to taunt the YGO faithful...then yeah, mission accomplished.

Silversword

Silversword

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 3:27 PM

[ot]SVN Bob, Haha, my brother did that, too. He is a big gamer though, so the magazine is really helpful with hints and cheats.[/ot]

wahoo! Channel surfer!

Edited by Silversword, Feb 25, 2004 @ 3:41 PM.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 8:30 AM

Personally, I've rummaged through a few game magazines, and I find Game Informer to help the most. The fact that subscribing to it saved me money on a game helped.

Topic? They never really answered that SNES RPG viewer mail last night. Adam of course refused to answer, and Morgan went outside the question to mention a Genesis game. Sure, it's 16 bit, but that doesn't neccesarily mean that the viewer's got both. If that person's reading (of course you're not), I gotta go with Super Mario RPG. The only RPGs I've ever enjoyed playing involve Mario.

tjreess

tjreess

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 9:28 AM

Yes he did. He pronounced it You-Gee-Oh. And stupid obsessive me hollared back at the screen and told him how to pronouce it. I seem to be doing that a lot lately. ;) And as for the SNES favorite RPG, it has to be Secret of Mana.

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 10:26 AM

Actually, I'm pretty sure Adam said that Final Fantasy 3 was his favorite SNES RPG.