NHL Coverage

• Please log in to reply

3106 replies to this topic

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Does anyone else besides me really dislike Barry Melrose?

Fair or unfair I haven't been able to take him seriously since the Tampa Bay fiasco.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

Does anyone else besides me really dislike Barry Melrose? His commentary is decent, but he is just such a ridiculous man. The mullet is awful. But the worst is when he comes back from a skiing weekend and his entire face is bright red and you can see the unburnt part where he was wearing his goggles. He looks like a complete tool when he does this, and he does it ALL THE TIME. You'd think he'd put sunscreen on, but he keeps showing up like this, which makes me think he does it on purpose just so everyone knows that he went skiing while the audience at home was slaving away working. If I were the producer, I'd probably send him home until his face got fixed.

He is the worst. ESPN has him do the NCAA tournament and Frozen Four and he is abysmal. His most egregious error was during the BC-Minnesota semi final game when he said that most of the players of the 1980 US Olympic hockey team was made up from kids from those two schools. Except BC had no players on that team. Boston University did. I had to text a friend in the press box and he said something and Melrose corrected himself on air.

ESPN does such a bad job with hockey but for college hockey, we're stuck because of their deal with the NCAA. I am just so happy with NBC's coverage of the playoffs so far. This round has been fun so far and NBC is not lying - every game is on either NBC, NBCSports, CNBC (which surprised me) or the NHL Network. They have shown a bigger commitment to college hockey as well and I would love for them to somehow break ESPN's deal and take over the NCAA hockey tournament. And keep Melrose far away from it.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

All the playoff games have been great, and so intense with the overtimes. The players are gonna be dead by the Cup finals.

RedJed

RedJed

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

The Penguins showed to the world on national TV today they are a gutless organization with no pride and no respect for the game of hockey. Most of the players and their coaches are just an embarrassment to hockey.

Edited by RedJed, Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:56 PM.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Are the Penguins setting a record for playoff defensive ineptitude after three games, or have there been other teams as bad as this?

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

Happy “let’s meet with Shannaban” day!
How are the James Neal meetings supposed to work?
I can just picture Shanny calling Neal hanging up and calling him right back for the second meeting.
“Are we clear James?”
“Yes Brendan”
“Good.”
Hangs up and redials.
“Hello is James there it’s Brendan”
“Just a minute (shouting in the background) James I think it’s for you”

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Shanny has apparently been told he's now supposed to use Colin Campbell's old flowchart.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

The Wizard, Ray Whitney in Overtime!

Gotta say the Coyotes are playing some fire wagon hockey, and I love it!

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

In reference to the Radulov and Kostitsyn suspensions maybe they just misunderstood what Trotz was talking about when he wanted them to take more shots……..

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

IIRC, one of those guys is a hard core teatotaler, and the rumors are saying it was more likely hookers than blow and such.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

IIRC, one of those guys is a hard core teatotaler, and the rumors are saying it was more likely hookers than blow and such.

I'm in Nashville, and according to the Nashville media, it was nothing that glamorous. :) After Game 1, they were in a bar 45 minutes away from Phoenix and missed curfew by about...oh, four hours or so. Someone from the Canadian media spotted Radulov and A. Kostitsyn at the bar and told GM Poile about it after Game 2. Trotz said there's no way in hell (or did he say it would have been a frozen day in hell?) either would have played Game 2 if he'd known.

It's no big secret and has been talked about all over radio and TV here. I wonder why the national media is still reporting the vague "violation of team rules" and "may have missed curfew."

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:34 AM

Well Nashville didn't seem to miss them.

This was the most complete game they've played all series.

Maybe a case of addition by subtraction. Perhaps Radulov and Kostitsyn were more hindrance than help.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

Since the coverage switched from a combination of local and national to just NBC, I've been getting a lot of Mike Emrick. After watching the triple OT game last night, I've come to the conclusion that Emrick could make sandwich making sound exciting.

Emrick: "He's got the bread on his plate, he picks up a knife and OH, HE ADDS A SLICE OF TOMATO!!!"
Me: "Holy shit! That was some tomato!"

Edited by JTMacc99, May 3, 2012 @ 9:38 AM.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Doc Emrick is, hands down, the very best thing about NBC's NHL coverage, and he's a great human being, to boot.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Emrick is awesome.

I'll never forget his call of Pisani's shorthanded OT winner in Game 5 of the 2006 Cup Final.

The best part about Emrick is he's always excited, it doesn't matter who's playing, he always seems psyched. Maybe the most unbiased play-by-play guy out there.

Edited by Maximum Taco, May 4, 2012 @ 11:34 AM.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

Interesting read:

Why ESPN doesn't cover hockey.

I think NBC has done an excellent job with the playoffs this year. Totally agree with the previous comments on Mike Emrick. There is a lot of joy and excitement in his play by play and it makes the games more interesting to me.

ETA: That link is worth clicking on if only to see the circa mid 1980s picture of Wayne Gretzky with Mark Messier (with hair!) and Paul Coffey.

Edited by ScarletPrincess, May 4, 2012 @ 11:55 AM.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

ETA: That link is worth clicking on if only to see the circa mid 1980s picture of Wayne Gretzky with Mark Messier (with hair!) and Paul Coffey.

I love that picture so much. I was thinking about Gretzky the other day during Game 4 of the Rangers/Capitals series.

At one point, somebody came free with the puck in the circle, and had a good second or two to shoot the puck, but he didn't really take his time but rather just quickly snapped a shot on net.

As NBC showed a couple different replays of it during the next stoppage in play, I got the picture in my head for some reason of Gretzky being in the same situation and him just winding up with that big stick over his head slapshot from about 20 feet.

I look at that picture and the first thought that pops into my head is "how the hell did that scrawny little bastard once score 92 goals in a season?", and then I remember that he didn't screw around. Essentially it was, if the other team gives you enough time for a full windup slapshot from the circle, then go ahead and do it.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

So, Devils oust the Rangers and six to make it to the Stanley Cup finals. I'm sure NBC was salivating for a NY-LA matchup, but given the Devils are kinda/sorta in that same market, it shouldn't be too bad for them.

I really don't know who I want to see win this. I have fully and completely committed myself to the LA Kings bandwagon. I follow them on Twitter now and I think it is so awesome that the Kings mascot is named Bailey, after the late Ace Bailey who was on one of the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center. I worry now that since the Lakers are done, all the celebs will latch onto the Kings and it will become a bit of a sideshow. On the other side, it took me to get to the second round to realize one of my favorite former Bruins, Adam Oates, is now a coach with the Devils. I would love to see him get his name on the Cup. Either way I hope it's a fun series and I plan to watch it all.

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

I worry now that since the Lakers are done, all the celebs will latch onto the Kings and it will become a bit of a sideshow.

Yes to this. No doubt about it, the Kings are having an amazing run. I don't live in L.A., so I don't know what the buzz around the city is like, but I do feel that if the Lakers were still playing, the Kings would be an afterthought. There are plenty of Canadian-born celebrities in L.A. who love the game and support the team all year, but last night the name-dropping during the broadcast began. "Pat Sajak is here!" Woo hoo.

If they do win tomorrow, I hope they get the attention they deserve, and hopefully a REAL parade, not like the pitiful parade in the parking lot of the arena that the Ducks got when they won.

Edited by 3 is enough, Jun 5, 2012 @ 2:52 PM.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

Matthew Perry has been at every game and tweeting about it as well. With his new show this fall on NBC, you'd think they'd be making more of his appearances there.

I was surprised that Game 3 was on NBC Sports instead of NBC. Last year I think every Stanley Cup Finals game was broadcast on NBC.

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

I think Alyssa Milano is a hockey fan? I've seen pics of her at other kings games so that's nice to see. I figured as a laker fan that everyone was going to latch on to the Kings when they lost. So many bandwagon era but to their credit the Kings fans have been pretty loyal with what little they've had to cheer to the last few years. It's just weird seeing a basketball and baseball town get crazy over hockey!

loveisthedrug

loveisthedrug

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

I was surprised that Game 3 was on NBC Sports instead of NBC.

Game 4 will also be broadcast on NBC Sports. Given the fact that it could be the championship game, I'm surprised they aren't moving it to NBC to get a bigger audience. Games 5 and 6 (if necessary) will be shown on NBC.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Ratings have been a disaster this year. I guess the sport is still driven by strong local viewership instead of a broad national base and the league really needs huge numbers from an original six city or a Pittsburgh in order to get ratings.

Edited by xaxat, Jun 6, 2012 @ 5:14 PM.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

So much for the idea that you'd get good ratings from a metro NY-metro LA series. But then the Devils have a decade-long reputation for causing boredom, and the Kings have a nice scrappy underdog narrative, but not much else to draw casual fans in.

AyeshaTheGreat

AyeshaTheGreat

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

Ratings have been a disaster this year. I guess the sport is still driven by strong local viewership instead of a broad national base and the league really needs huge numbers from an original six city or a Pittsburgh in order to get ratings.

As a fan so casual that I only watch the Stanley Cup Finals, I can say that the games being on the same night as the NBA Western Conference Finals was the reason I didn't turn in this year. Not sure if many others had that reason but it definitely kept me away. Oh and there was the fact that half the time, I didn't even know the game was on. And I find it interesting that a championship round was relegated to cable. I fear for the MLB.

And someone upthread had a discussion or posted an article about viewership in general. I believe that I'm extremely more open to watching an NHL game live over watching on TV. For one, my small non-HD TV is too small to truly follow the game. I spend most of the time trying to find the puck.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Really Gary Bettman? The greatest trophy in all sports? Is it known at all in Asia, Africa and Oceania? I know that he needs to sell his stuff, but I thing it is such an outlandish claim.

Oh yes, almost forget. Congratulations for the Kings for their first Championship. It is good to see that the Championship celebration at the Staples Center does not belong to the Lakers for a change.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

Really Gary Bettman? The greatest trophy in all sports? Is it known at all in Asia, Africa and Oceania? I know that he needs to sell his stuff, but I thing it is such an outlandish claim.

The trophy for the World Cup is probably far better known, but the history and traditions that surround the Stanley Cup really do make it unique. The claim is arguable, but I don't think it's outlandish.

Edited by xaxat, Jun 11, 2012 @ 11:41 PM.

chadritt

chadritt

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 3:15 AM

You have to remember, its the SAME cup. Most, if not all, other sports use a replica for their championship. Not to mention greatest is an opinion and theres a lot of people who would make the argument for the Stanley Cup

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

The thing that is so special about the Stanley Cup is that everyone on the winning team gets their name engraved on it. And, as mentioned above, it's the original trophy, not a replica. The players want their name on the Cup. In other sports, it's more about the title, not the actual trophy.

Obviously, it is probably largely unheard of in Africa, Asia, South America, and Oceania. But in North America and the hockey-playing nations of Europe, it is legend.

And, I would argue that it is the hardest won trophy in professional sports. The winning team has to get 16 wins out of up to 28 games on top of an 82 game season in a sport that is arguably one of the most physically demanding. That's no small feat.

Edited by 3 is enough, Jun 12, 2012 @ 10:41 AM.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

I think the best thing about the Stanley Cup is that it's a "People's Trophy". The tradition of allowing players to take it home and celebrate with their family, friends and neighbors instead of locking it away in a trophy case is awesome.