NHL Coverage

• Please log in to reply

3109 replies to this topic

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 2:45 PM

I was there today. It was mobbed. MOBBED I tell ya! I did not go to the Red Sox parade in 2004 (was out of town) but I was at all three Patriots parades and the Red Sox parade in 2007 and this had more people in my opinion. I'm thinking it was because it was on a Saturday, and it was nice and sunny and hot. I got there at 8:30 thinking it wouldn't be that crowded since the parade didn't start till 11am, but there was hardly any space up against the barricades that early in the morning. Got some great pics. Just an awesome day!

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 4:02 PM

Boston police have reported more people today than the '04 Red Sox rolling rally. I think, as ScarletPrincess pointed out, the other parades were during the week and not very nice weather. I have a friend who is Duck Boat driver, and she intentionally didn't volunteer for this one. She worked the Red Sox an Celtics ones, and felt this one would be even more mobbed because of it being on Saturday. I'm happy that I haven't heard about any meathead over-exuberance/violence stories. As of this time anyway. Phew.

Edited by frostedglass, Jun 18, 2011 @ 4:02 PM.

MaggieMay

MaggieMay

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:33 PM

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Bruins throwing out the first pitch(es) at the Red Sox game today...adorable! All the athletes (both Bruins and Sox) seemed really pumped about seeing and/or meeting each other. Also loved how they played the Bruins "foghorn thingy" every time the Sox scored...which was a lot (12)! Great weekend and great time to be a Boston sports fan!!!

Professor Fate

Professor Fate

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 2:35 PM

As a life-long Bruins fan, having suffered through so many years where the B's were second class citizens I'm falling over myself with joy seeing them all over the news and getting so much media attention. This is such a great group of guys and they really exemplify how hockey players are the nicest, most down to earth athletes on the planet.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2011 @ 11:35 AM

The NHL Awards are on tonight. Can we post here about it or should there be a thread in the Pop Culture forum?

ETA: Just heard the the Winter Classic will be Rangers-Flyers in Philly on January 2nd.

Edited by ScarletPrincess, Jun 22, 2011 @ 12:40 PM.

kirshpgh

kirshpgh

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 10:55 AM

I understand the NHL wants to promote itself by associating with celebrities, but I don't know if having dingy reality-show broads (who couldn't pronounce Martin St. Louis' name!) present awards is the answer. That was a cringe-worthy moment...as was the musical act with the hazmat gear... and 90% of Jay Mohr's jokes. Can he at least be retired and Jon Hamm (or maybe Michael Bublé) host?

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 11:28 AM

With the Flyers blowing up their roster I just might watch the draft to see if that was the tip of the iceberg and craziness follows; especially with the cap being raised.

I'm sure there are teams that will have to add salary which could make for some interesting trades.

Edited by bosawks, Jun 24, 2011 @ 11:29 AM.

leefonthewind

leefonthewind

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 7:33 AM

So last night was the first episode of this year's 24/7 on HBO. Awesome show. I think that I want Ilya Bryzgalov to get his own talk show, so that he can explain the universe to us weekly or something.

I think my other favorite scene was of the Flyers dancing to their victory song. At heart, the men who play this sport are such boys, and there was something simple and happy about seeing them all acting ridiculous about their win over the Pens.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 9:22 AM

I loved how beautifully they filmed Philadelphia. It really is that pretty. And it was hard to watch Claude go through what has to be a rough time. He's been so resilient so far in his career. This fluke injury has to be disappointing. Bryzgalov is a real character. And wait 'til you start to get to know Timonen and Briere, two compact men with tremendous skill who are marvelously articulate technicians of the game.

Could have done without the obligatory Avery modeling sequence. Callahan is a beauty. And seeing both his dad and his grandma moved to tears with pride was sweet.

Edited by BoDiva, Dec 15, 2011 @ 9:23 AM.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 9:52 AM

You know, I was about to ask the mods here if 24/7 had its own thread and which forum it would be in. Glad people are watching this. I really like this show. The narration, the direction, everything. I'm trying to convince my non-hockey loving friends to check it out because I think it's really well done. As a fan, I enjoy hearing and seeing what goes on in the locker room, what do players say to each other when on the ice, etc. It's a cool behind the scenes look. And though I'm a Bruins fans, Henrik Lundqvist is one of my favorite players so it will be a treat to see him on this show.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

I was dissapointed that they gave Avery screen time. I don't want to see that loser's face anywhere ever again. He's a disgrace to the sport and really the human race, so I would have preferred if they just ignored his presence.

Tortorella looks like a nut job but should really be entertaining to watch.

Edited by MV007, Dec 15, 2011 @ 5:49 PM.

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 12:30 PM

I think that I want Ilya Bryzgalov to get his own talk show, so that he can explain the universe to us weekly or something.

How awesome is that guy? The whole Tiger killing in China thing just killed me.

And yeah. Sean Avery = snack break. I also don't need his face on my TV. Ever.

I think it's kind of a cool follow up that we get to follow Max Talbot (and his entertaining sweaters) around again this year. As a Flyers fan, I'm really psyched about this series.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2011 @ 2:16 PM

I think it's kind of a cool follow up that we get to follow Max Talbot (and his entertaining sweaters) around again this year. As a Flyers fan, I'm really psyched about this series.

Now I just want the Bruins to get in the Winter Classic so I can watch coverage of them. Forget the game, I want it for 24/7.

Am I the only one who thought that the Rangers brought the kids to Radio City just to hit on the Rockettes?

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2011 @ 12:52 PM

Am I the only one who thought that the Rangers brought the kids to Radio City just to hit on the Rockettes?

Heh. You may be right there.

Another thing about this series. I am forever baffled by the elite athlete's tendency to look upon treatment as a weakness. Like Callahan getting treated by the trainer on the plane and his teammates razzing him about needing a rub down. Or Tortorella saying he hates it when his players come in for extra massage therapy and such.

Makes me wonder what these guys are really saying about head injuries behind closed doors.

Edited by cacophony, Dec 19, 2011 @ 12:53 PM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2011 @ 5:10 PM

Does Sean Avery have something on someone high up in the NHL offices or something? So let me get this straight. The guy is a healthy scratch for 3 straight games but gets a little cameo where HBO basically begs for Tortorella to put him back in the lineup. This is a week after the "Look! casting agents, Sean Avery is a model" edit.

Some of the best parts are Dan Girardi's home life and Danny Briere taking in Sean Couterrier. Give me another 30 seconds of that stuff as opposed to wasting any screen time on Avery.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2011 @ 10:24 AM

The NHL Network is replaying the Winter Classic from last year. It looks like it was filmed, rather than video. I did not see this game live last year so I couldn't tell if this was how it was originally broadcast. It looks.....fake. Does anyone remember if it was broadcast this way? I hope they don't use this format for this year's game. They showed the 2010 game right before this one and it was video.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Dec 27, 2011 @ 2:46 PM

About 20 years ago, my dad worked in Manhattan and when he would buy jewelry for my mom, he went to a dealer in the diamond district that he had picked out because he had pictures of Rangers behind his counter. My dad chatted with this guy and found out that he had many Rangers as his customers, I guess one found him many years before that and they all passed along his name as a fair guy.

Anyway, my point is, this guy sold a LOT of jewelry to Rangers who had a LOT of girlfriends. It seems to me that hitting on the Rockettes is just one of the benefits of playing in New York, that I think the show could have fun with if they really wanted to go that way.

ETA: Heh. Did they mention Brad Richards' love interest yet?

Edited by JTMacc99, Dec 28, 2011 @ 8:45 AM.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2011 @ 11:57 PM

Enjoyed Giroux being mic'd for his comeback game. The chatting with the officials is something we don't usually hear.

The church the four guys at Hartnell's place went to for Christmas Eve is where I was singing just 5 hours later. Too bad he's gone to the 5 pm service since he's been in the city (this is the third year). It's the kid's pageant service. I'm sure the guys think it's a hoot.

The Flyers Rangers game on 12/23 seemed much more intense and exciting in the retelling.

I really love that they do this. I was able to find the first episode of last year's 24/7 on HBOgo over the weekend. But now it is gone and never could find the other episodes. (I got HBO this month specifically for the Flyers on 24/7.)

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 5:46 PM

I am thankful for many things this holiday season but mostly I am thankful for the five faces of Ilya Bryzgalov. I seriously love this guy.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

I think Flyers fans would prefer one consistent face in the net, though, cacophony.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 3:24 PM

Yea, I don't know how I would react if Brysgalov was my goaile. I know goailes are out there but this guy is a nut job, an entertaining nut job but I'd be concerned with the ups and downs his personality may bring.

Edited by MV007, Dec 30, 2011 @ 3:24 PM.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2011 @ 1:00 PM

I think this year Bryz is going through the adjustments I'd think are pretty normal for a guy with a new team in a new city. And there have been some injury issues in front of him that have led to defensive inconsistencies, which isn't helping. But the other day John VanBiesbrouck, who's in town for the Winter Classic Alumni Game said that when a goalie moves to a new team it takes a while to understand you aren't there to impress anyone--not the media, the fans, the team, the front office, the coaches. You are just there to perform. When you get to that point things settle down. I'm certainly not going to judge someone on one season. If the Bruins did that, they wouldn't have still had Thomas on the roster to win the cup after a very down year the year before in which he lost his starting role to Rask.

Am really looking forward to today's alumni game and am glad they decided to put it on Versus (although, locally it's on our Comcast Sportsnet, which means better announcers for me).

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

Ilya Bryzgalov not starting in the Winter Classic. HBO must be bummed!!

ETA: Hmmmm, Coach hasn't made the official decision so maybe he will.

Am really looking forward to today's alumni game and am glad they decided to put it on Versus

I watched most of this yesterday - what fun! Bernie Parent was awesome!! Man oh man is Ron Duguay still hot. Ron Greschner - not so much. Yeesh. That DaForest guy looked pretty good in net. When they announced Mark Recchi I was like"Wha??? He just retired!!! Shouldn't there be an amount of time to pass before you can participate??" Kidding. Good to see him out there. Totally looking forward to seeing this game tomorrow and the finale of 24/7 on Thursday.

Edited by ScarletPrincess, Jan 1, 2012 @ 12:31 PM.

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

I think Flyers fans would prefer one consistent face in the net, though, cacophony.

Sigh. If I start ruminating on the Flyers goalie issues, I'll only get depressed. At least this guy is entertaining. Seeing Bernie Parent on Saturday just made me nostalgic and sad.

Buzzie

Buzzie

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

Does anyone know if The NHL Network will be replaying the 2012 Alumni Winter Classic game? Or if there will be a DVD available?

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

If the Bruins did that, they wouldn't have still had Thomas on the roster to win the cup after a very down year the year before in which he lost his starting role to Rask.

Thomas needed hip surgery in the offseason which explained his down year 2 years ago and Rask is arguably the best backup in hockey and had been the goalie of the future for the Bruins for a few years leading up to that. I'm not sure the situations are comparable but I do understand your logic about not judging a goalie on one year. I'm not particularly buying it in this case but I understand it. I think the guy (Bryz) might be a head case.

Edited by MV007, Jan 4, 2012 @ 5:14 PM.

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

Last episode of 24/7 was last night. What does everyone think of JR's post-practice pep talk, telling Bryzgalov that if they win the Cup, it will all be because of him? I was torn. On one hand, Roenick just really loves to be on-camera, doesn't he? On the other, awwwww.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

I know he loves the camera, but he can be genuine, too. I saw it as real. I know Vanbiesbrouck was saying last weekend that it isn't unusual for a guy who's signed a big free agent deal to worry about impressing (fans, media, management, coaches, teammates) and lose sight of the fact that they were signed because they already are impressive. That he just needs to calm down and play hockey. I think that's the same thing JR was about. Just do what you do. He sure did today.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

Psssst, the play-offs have started pass it on.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

Does anyone else besides me really dislike Barry Melrose? His commentary is decent, but he is just such a ridiculous man. The mullet is awful. But the worst is when he comes back from a skiing weekend and his entire face is bright red and you can see the unburnt part where he was wearing his goggles. He looks like a complete tool when he does this, and he does it ALL THE TIME. You'd think he'd put sunscreen on, but he keeps showing up like this, which makes me think he does it on purpose just so everyone knows that he went skiing while the audience at home was slaving away working. If I were the producer, I'd probably send him home until his face got fixed.