I Love Lucy: We Have Some 'Splainin To Do...

• Please log in to reply

3526 replies to this topic

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

Perhaps I'm a little over sensitive, but I have always found "The Black Eye" to be more disturbing than funny. I don't find Lucy's story about how she was begging Ricky not to hit her again funny and I definitely didn't like how excited Ethel was to get the scoop on her best friend being assaulted by her husband - and her treating like a juicy piece of gossip.

True, this is one aspect of the humor that hasn't aged well, in the same category as the "Indian" nightclub show. But regarding the black eye--at least no one so much as hinted that Lucy had it coming, as exasperating as she could be at times. Even Fred, with his misogynist streak, was appalled that Ricky would ever hit a woman.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

I have to agree -- and add to that all the times that Ricky put Lucy over his knee and spanked her as if she were five years old. I'd like to see him try that in 2012 -- Lucy would have him put away so fast he'd think he was in a time warp!

Edited by legaleagle44, May 9, 2012 @ 7:15 PM.

andyllina

andyllina

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Even Fred, with his misogynist streak, was appalled that Ricky would ever hit a woman.

If I'm recalling the episode correctly, Fred pretended to be appalled because Lucy and Ethel were there at the time. His attitude changed considerably after the women left the room.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

That's right, I think he then scolded Ricky about losing his temper and advised him to make right and do something to apologize to Lucy. Ah, those crazy '50s.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Mitten we did see their bathroom in that episode, and also in one where they fight with the Mertz's and Fred turns off the water while Lucy is washing her face.

cousinsrock

cousinsrock

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

My mom loves I Love Lucy and has been watching the reruns for years. She watches the Hallmark Channel block every morning, so I've seen every episode (much to my dismay), and I just have to rant about the one that came on this morning. Ricky's Old Girlfriend. Lucy becomes consumed with jealousy when Ricky tells her about his ex, Carlotta Romero, even though he tells her he made her up. But then they both find out she's real and Ricky actually did perform with her years ago, he'd just forgotten about it. This throws Lucy into a tizzy and she can't wait to meet Carlotta to size up her rival. Carlotta comes to the apartment and...turns out she's overweight. Lucy immediately starts fawning all over her and insisting she and Ricky catch up on the old times, and Lucy's all happy and smiley, and...end of show.
Um, so Lucy was jealous when she thought Carlotta was an attractive, thin woman but when she sees that Carlotta's "fat", she's not worried? Just because she gained a few pounds and Lucy's skinny that means Ricky won't be attracted to her? It makes me so angry every time I see it. Okay, I feel better now. Just had to rant about that to someone other than my mom for the millionth time.

Tress

Tress

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

That always ticked me off, too, cousinsrock. Another thing that makes me mad is when Ricky puts Lucy over his knee & spanks her.

This morning was the one where Ricky invites a producer or something to come to the apt to see a performance by him on their new projector. Lucy, Ethel & Fred make their own movie & splice it in w/ Ricky singing. This cracks me up everytime. "I'm an old cowhand, by the Rio Grande...." LOL

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

That always ticked me off, too, cousinsrock. Another thing that makes me mad is when Ricky puts Lucy over his knee & spanks her.

I agree. That's unacceptable behavior. On the old Jackie Gleason Show, Ralph was always threatening to smack Alice in the face. He'd say, "One of these days... One of these days... POW! Right in the kisser!" Lots of threatening behavior back then that makes a person cringe now days. I'm glad things have changed for the better.

Early this morning Hallmark aired the episode where Ricky and Lucy have a bet that Ricky can't control his temper and Lucy can't stop buying hats. Lucy and Ethel go back to the shop to return the hat she bought and there's a new hat in the store. It's described as being turquoise blue with little pearls. I'm in my 30's and not of the era's where women wore hats. But, I SO wanted to see that little hat in color. I like some of the fashions of that time. Lucy looked good in hats. Me, not so much.

Edited by SunShine Gal, May 11, 2012 @ 3:45 PM.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

This morning was the one where Ricky invites a producer or something to come to the apt to see a performance by him on their new projector. Lucy, Ethel & Fred make their own movie & splice it in w/ Ricky singing. This cracks me up everytime. "I'm an old cowhand, by the Rio Grande...." LOL

I always laugh at how that "movie" ends..."I got wind of it"

Talented Tenth

Talented Tenth

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

Um, so Lucy was jealous when she thought Carlotta was an attractive, thin woman but when she sees that Carlotta's "fat", she's not worried? Just because she gained a few pounds and Lucy's skinny that means Ricky won't be attracted to her? It makes me so angry every time I see it. Okay, I feel better now. Just had to rant about that to someone other than my mom for the millionth time.

I understand how you feel, but in our looks-obsessed society, is it really unrealistic?

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

Besides, Carlotta hadn't gained just "a few pounds." She'd easily gained at least 30 pounds if she'd gained a single ounce. Considering the drop-dead bombshell that she was in her day, it's no wonder that Lucy was relieved to see that Father Time had done a number on the woman. Paranoid jealousy will do that to you.

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I'm also concerned for audience members at Carlotta's show, who saw the advertisement and are expecting a completely different person and will be confused when an older, plump lady comes onstage and starts dancing.

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

Just because she gained a few pounds and Lucy's skinny that means Ricky won't be attracted to her?

It's kind of a moot point, I think, because Ricky was never in love with Carlotta. He had forgotten she even existed; he didn't realize he was naming someone from his past until he saw her name in the newspaper.

I get the point about the "fat joke," though. But I'm much more irked when it's directed at Ethel, who isn't particularly chunky.

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

And speaking of "fat" jokes, this morning Hallmark aired the episode where they're stuck in jail in Cousin Ernie's hometown and the sheriff's daughters are a pair of obese twins who want to become country music stars. The girls' weight was used as a cruel and easy target for mockery. Now, I realize that nobody put a gun to the actresses' heads and forced them to appear on the show, but it's still cringe-worthy.

This was followed by the episode where they visit Ethel's hometown, Albuquerque, New Mexico (where all the locals think that Ethel became a big star in the years since she left home). I don't know why, but it kind of bugs me that they present Albuquerque as a tiny hick town. At that time, Albuquerque was a large modern city, complete with skyscrapers, several large Air Force bases and a population of about 200,000. It was not Hooterville and it's extremely unlikely that everyone in town would have known Ethel or would have believed that she was a big star just because she said so in her letters to her father.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

Yeah, that plotline would have made more sense if they'd used another, middle-of-nowhere one-horse town kind of city. But obviously they used Albuquerque since Vivian Vance really was from there, so they just kind of finagled with reality.

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

And that really is such a funny episode, especially with Lucy, Ricky, and Fred carrying on behind Ethel singing "Shortnin' Bread" and "My Hero."

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

And speaking of "fat" jokes, this morning Hallmark aired the episode where they're stuck in jail in Cousin Ernie's hometown and the sheriff's daughters are a pair of obese twins who want to become country music stars. The girls' weight was used as a cruel and easy target for mockery.

Nitpick: I thought the sheriff wanted Ricky to make them Hollywood stars, which was of course ridiculous because Ricky was a newcomer to Hollywood himself, with no clout at all. Of course, their looks were played for laughs. But that rendition of "Ricochet Romance" they performed was so good that I think their dad was right to believe in their talent. I hope the next speeder he caught was a Grand Ole Opry talent scout!

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

On the plus side, the Borden Twins had a long entertainment career, and people always remembered them from their appearance on "I Love Lucy." They even have a memorial website devoted to their careers.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

I suppose the Borden Twins were mostly remembered for ILL simply because of the continuous reruns of the show. These are the shows they appeared on prior to ILL:

Four Star Revue (Girls in Gondola 1 episode 1952)
The Colgate Comedy Hour (1952)
The Spike Jones Show (1954 and 1957)
The Ed Wynn Show
The Jimmy Durante Show (1955-1957 regular performers)

Those who watched those shows may have remembered the twins when they watched them on ILL, but I never saw those shows (due to my age), not to mention those shows were not in reruns like ILL. Therefore, ILL was how I knew the Borden Twins. There was one appearance on RHODA, but only one twin was shown. They also made an appearance on CHiPs and THE ROPERS. USO shows and nightclub gigs were how they had continuous work.

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

Sorry that I didn't explain myself clearly. I meant to say that their appearance on ILL and its continued appearance in reruns meant they were able to continue getting work (like the USO shows and nightclubs you mentioned) because it was so easy to advertise them as "Appearing Here: Teensy and Weensy from 'I Love Lucy'!" and people would know automatically who it was due to the show being in continuous reruns around the world.

carolinagirl63

carolinagirl63

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Doris Singleton, who played Carolyn Appleby, died. She was 92. I just saw the show where Lucy was trying to compete with her about who had the smartest baby.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

Oh no! RIP Doris. Looks like Shirley Mitchell, aka Marion Strong, is the only (adult) cast member left.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

How sad. RIP, Doris.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Awwww-----
http://www.hollywood...neighbor-342702

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Didn't she also play the woman on the airplane when Lucy was trying to smuggle a big log of cheese back to the US?

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

No, that was Mary Jane Croft on the plane who became a series regular the next season (1956-1957) as Betty Ramsey.

RIP, Doris. My favorite Carolyn episodes were the 2 when she came out to Hollywood.....Harpo Marx and Van Johnson

Edited by discorules, Jun 28, 2012 @ 11:09 AM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Who was the one who was practically blind without her glasses and Lucy fooled her into thinking she was Harpo Marx and the real Harpo showed up?

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

I took a look at her pic and now I recognize her. She was the one in the Harpo Marx episode right?

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Yep. But my all-time favorite Carolyn episode is "Baby Pictures," where she and Lucy get into a mommy war over Little Ricky and Stevie.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

She was also in the Superman episode.