I Love Lucy: We Have Some 'Splainin To Do...

• Please log in to reply

3526 replies to this topic

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

I don't know if Lucy's were exactly capris, but she did wear pants around the apartment a lot. Lucy wore clothes very well, some were just stunning. I love the evening dress she wore with the lace overlay. Also am quite fond of her wedding dress in the episode when Lucy and Ricky retake their vows-reminds me a great deal of my Mom's.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I always loved that part pants part dress outfit she wore around the house a lot. It had kind of a sheer top and a big skirt that opened in the front to reveal pants. I'm a sucker for fashion from that era.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Yes, that's a great outfit-casual, but elegant. I also notice the little things, such as Lucy's makeup and nails, she always looked so put together.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

One last random thought: most sources credit Laura Petrie on The Dick Van Dyke Show as being the first TV housewife to wear pants instead of dresses around the house.

It is my recollection that Laura Petrie was thought to be the first TV housewife who was viewed as sexy for wearing pants while doing housework - due to her tight-fitting capris - not because she was in any way the first homemaker wearing slacks.

Back to ILL - Ethel and Lucy weren't the only women who wore pants. So did the water cress loving Mrs. Grundy and Bent Fork's Teensy and Weensy :)

Edited by dustylil, Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:29 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

I always wanted the Ricky Ricardo jacket.

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

There was one particular dress that Lucy wore in a few episodes that I absolutely loved. It had a high collar, a relatively open neck, and was a light color with a floral or botanical print around the midsection. I've always gotten a kick out of the fact that she actually repeated outfits, something that would have gone entirely unnoticed at the time but is apparent in a time where every sitcom character has an infinite closet. It's a little refreshing, in all honesty.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

I love Ethel's dress that had arrows pointing in all directions for the neckline. She wore it quite often during one season.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

Evidently that was Lucy's doing-she wanted to reflect the life of the typical American wife, who had a limited clothing budget,so she wore a lot of the same outfits. Even when Ricky went to Hollywood and Lucy wanted the Don Loper original, she was on a budget.Which is one of my favorite episodes-love the clothes!

pretyonthesofa

pretyonthesofa

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

Ther

e was one particular dress that Lucy wore in a few episodes that I absolutely loved. It had a high collar, a relatively open neck, and was a light color with a floral or botanical print around the midsection.

I loved that dess as well. I would have loved to see it in color -- I always wondered what color family the flowers were. I remember the dressy black dress with the black lace across the neckline she wore for a couple of seasons.

Edited by pretyonthesofa, Mar 18, 2012 @ 2:16 PM.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

I love that dress too!! The neck is like a slim v? It was dreamy.

I'm watching the Italian Hair Cut episode, which ALSO features the above dress. It's odd to me that a woman would need her husband's permission to cut her hair. Further more, it's not like Lucy had LONG FLOWING hair, IMO there wasn't much difference in length between the Italian cut and Lucy's own hair.

Edited by scarlett45, Mar 18, 2012 @ 5:49 PM.

CherryAmes

CherryAmes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

It is my recollection that Laura Petrie was thought to be the first TV housewife who was viewed as sexy for wearing pants while doing housework - due to her tight-fitting capris - not because she was in any way the first homemaker wearing slacks.

That, and also that the outfits she wore around the house actually looked like clothes someone would wear who was doing housework. IIRC even the pants that Lucy occasionally wore still looked pretty dressy for scrubbing out the toilet!

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Since we're on costuming: Vivian Vance was not used to looking as frumpy as Ethel in those housedresses, but she did get some opportunities to dress better. A couple of her visits to the Tropicana had her in some nice gowns. The dress she wore for her solo recital in Albuquerque was elegant and flattering. She also wore a great dress in the Monte Carlo episode.

Fonzie

Fonzie

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

Also in the episode is Miss Hathaway from The Beverly Hillbillies as a hotel maid!

...with the absolute WORST English "accent" ever heard on the screen, small or big. I LMAO every time I watch this ep b/c "Miss Hathaway" aka Nancy Kulp is so terrible in it!!

Edited by Fonzie, Mar 19, 2012 @ 2:02 PM.

katnapped

katnapped

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

The eps of Lucy/Desi that Hallmark are airing were apparently split in half back in 1987 as an add-on for ILL in syndication (13 hour-long shows split into 26 half-hour shows) and redubbed as "We Love Lucy". So Hallmark themselves wasn't responsible for the repackaging...it was done decades ago.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

I watched the encore marathon of We Love Lucy again all day Saturday. It was the Paul Douglas episode that made me so upset the first time... seeing Ricky and Lucy only meeting for a few seconds at the train station and Little Ricky calling Ethel "mother", etc. Yesterday, I skipped that episode and realized I enjoyed all of the other episodes much better this time around.

I particularly enjoyed the Freddy the Freeloader sketch with Red Skelton and Lucy. She had the ability to be good at different forms of comedy. When putting on an imaginary coat, her hand and eye gestures pulled that scene together.

Add me to the list who likes Lucy's black lace dress and the light colored dress with floral bodice. She looked so elegant. One outfit I didn't care for was the black dress that had the men's style short tie at the neck. One of Ethel's dresses I liked was in the Barbara Eden episode when Lucy, Ethel and Betty got dressed up. Ethel had her hair pulled back and wore a light colored, elegant dress. Lucy called it Ethel's "Grace Kelly" look.

Edited by SunShine Gal, Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:57 AM.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

even the pants that Lucy occasionally wore still looked pretty dressy for scrubbing out the toilet!

I don't know about that. They were pretty good pants to wear for stealing concrete footprints, climbing out on window ledges, climbing over a celebrity's fence and then being attacked by his dog, dragging a large tuna from bathroom to bathroom in a hotel, dropping down to a celebrity's hotel room via the balcony, etc.

Also in the episode is Miss Hathaway from The Beverly Hillbillies as a hotel maid!

Was that even a real proper curtsey? It seems it was exaggerated for the episode because I cannot imagine any female actually that low to curtsey, even for QE.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Was that even a real proper curtsey? It seems it was exaggerated for the episode because I cannot imagine any female actually that low to curtsey, even for QE.

In the 16th Century, yes. In the mid-20th Century, it would be a bit overdone (not to mention the fact -- which Lucy apparently didn't even know -- that foreigners are neither required nor expected to bow or curtsy to sovereigns of the country they're visiting. They simply greet them the same way that they would greet the head of their own nation. In Lucy's case, she should simply act the way she would if she were being introduced to the President of the United States: Standing upright, with perhaps just a slight nod of the head, but that's it.)

Edited by legaleagle44, Mar 25, 2012 @ 3:21 PM.

Coop Fontaine

Coop Fontaine

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

The eps of Lucy/Desi that Hallmark are airing were apparently split in half back in 1987 as an add-on for ILL in syndication and redubbed as "We Love Lucy".

I have to say, I hate the way they edited the Lucy Takes A Trip To Havana episode. One half-hour ends with Lucy and Ricky dancing. And the next half-hour begins with Lucy and Susie (Ann Sothern) on the terrace. They completely cut out the best part... Lucy and Ricky on the conga drums: "What did we say?! What did we say?!"//"Not here, please."

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

They completely cut out the best part... Lucy and Ricky on the conga drums

I know! I was so upset that they cut out the back and forth duet Lucy and Ricky did on the drums, my fave moment from the episode. Although watching it again, I really appreciated the comedy timing between Lucy and Ann Sothern, two pros who were always at the top of their game.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

In Lucy's case, she should simply act the way she would if she were being introduced to the President of the United States

And we know how that would turn out. This is Lucy we are talking about here. Anytime she meets up with someone famous, there is trouble. The president would probably end up with pie all over his face.

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

One thing I couldn't help but notice watching the Comedy Hours, er, the "We Love Lucy" episodes (grrr...), was how regally handsome these classic Hollywood-era actors are. At least when you think about them next to a lot of the big-name stars of today, anyway -- there just is no comparison at all. I mean, Ann Sothern, for example, is just absolutely lovely.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

A very thorough article, with clips, at the AV Club:
http://www.avclub.co...ears,72062/#CAN

Coop Fontaine

Coop Fontaine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

My mom gave me an old VHS tape the other day called: Lucy's Lost Episodes. There were TV sketches, skits, promos and bloopers. One of them had Bob Hope as Ricky, Desi Arnaz as Fred, and Bill Frawley as a guest 'sea captain'.

This comment is years old, but I only just recently stumbled across said skit on YouTube. I think the best part is Ethel and "Fred"/Desi smooching, until Lucy pulls them apart. "Alright, break it up. Let's not overdo it." And the banter between Bob and Desi was also pretty funny. "One chorus of 'Babalu' and out you go." "Mira que tú tiene cosa, narizón..." Lol.

I Love Lucy cast on The Bob Hope Show

Edited by Coop Fontaine, Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:25 AM.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

I Love Lucy cast on The Bob Hope Show

That was a HOOT!!!

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

Thanks for the link! I was surprised they got the apartment that close to the original for the sketch.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

I think the only thing they got wrong was the closet. I don't remember the closet being next to the sofa; wasn't it like behind the sofa. Was there a fireplace? I think the closet in this sketch was the fireplace in the show.

But I really loved the parts where Lucy separated Desi/"Fred" from Ethel when they were kissing. Hee.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

I think the only thing they got wrong was the closet. I don't remember the closet being next to the sofa; wasn't it like behind the sofa. Was there a fireplace? I think the closet in this sketch was the fireplace in the show.

I don't think there was a closet in that part of the living room. The only closet I recall was the coat closet near the hallway to the bedroom. There was definitely a fireplace though. It was a plotpoint in at least a couple of episodes.

Coop Fontaine

Coop Fontaine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

One of our local channels airs four back-to-back I Love Lucy episodes weekday afternoons. Today I was able to be home to watch the one where Little Ricky learns to drum. For some reason I've only ever seen the beginning and/or end of this episode whenever I've caught it in syndication. So I'd never seen the bathroom scene where Ricky is showering, Lucy is washing her face over the sink, and they're talking about their feud with the Mertzes. My question, is this the only time we see the Ricardos' bathroom? I can't recall any other time that it was on display.

Edited by Coop Fontaine, Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:09 PM.

MittenGirl

MittenGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

I think we saw their bathroom in the episode with the lucky dollar. (It's the one where the paper was running a contest where you matched the numbers on dollar bills with the numbers they ran in that day's paper.) I recall Lucy fishing their half of the dollar bill out of Ricky's pocket while he was in the shower. But I haven't seen that episode in a while, so I may be mistaken.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

Perhaps I'm a little over sensitive, but I have always found "The Black Eye" to be more disturbing than funny. I don't find Lucy's story about how she was begging Ricky not to hit her again funny and I definitely didn't like how excited Ethel was to get the scoop on her best friend being assaulted by her husband - and her treating like a juicy piece of gossip. I know Lucy made the whole thing up, but I just never found that kind of humor funny, and the show did it quite often. I remember in another episode with a club meeting where Lucy was so excited get the scoop on some woman's husband giving her a black eye, and the women were laughing about it. Just never really found that stuff funny.