The Block

• Please log in to reply

730 replies to this topic

Apolsenc

Apolsenc

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Also hate that they decided to have a two day challenge with such a big week. I hope there is no other challenge this week and that it's not two full days.

[snip] It's been hinted that one team might not finish their rooms for the first time ever, well it's not surprising.

Dan and Dani repainted the orange bedsides white, the Bros stained the tic tac shelf, Dale & Sophie should've burned that sign in the fp for a cosy ambience.

Being right on the busy road, you'd want some good blockout curtains, not the cheap tat they're putting up.

The judges hated the chairs, or Dale and Sophie would've won. Mind you, since Dan & Dani are doing this year's Mcfastfoodestablishment ads, and this weeks cash prize was supplied by same. [snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, May 1, 2012 @ 9:19 AM.
Don’t use our site to advertise your own work product

xfuse

xfuse

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

And I didn't think I could dislike Dan anymore but thanks for proving me wrong, Dan. Everyone wants to win but you certainly don't rub it in everyone face. As much as they are trying to make us think that Dan and Dani are not going to finish their room this week I am not going to buy it. I do hope I get proven wrong again.

Is it common to have en suite narrow and long with no door in Australia?

TallulahBelle

TallulahBelle

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

Is it common to have en suite narrow and long with no door in Australia?

Not that I've ever seen, but hey, maybe??? My ensuite is HUGE but it was built into the room at the time of building as opposed to what they're doing which is trying to build one into a pre-existing space but where I think they're ALL being too blinkered is that I would prefer room to walk through my ensuite and less room in my bedroom, then the STUPIDLY narrow ones they're all building. I mean, right there, you're losing out on the larger Aussie demographic. That skinny thing (can't remember her name) could barely get herself past what would be the toilet in the entrance, let alone any woman bigger than a size twelve will be able to. And were they all not putting doors on them?? I must have missed that . . .

And also? That bullshit with Stegbar about the glass cutting. You're telling me that Stegbar said, WITHOUT ANY PRIOR WARNING, that the glass measurements HAD to be done with crazy little notice. BS. And also hugely unfair and mean. Badly played, show. I get that they want to create DRRRAAAAMMMMAAA, but seriously. That just made me angry on behalf of two contestants I don't even really like.

xfuse

xfuse

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

I'm pretty sure all the plans they shown didn't have any doors on them. Also Brad and Laura wardrobe was this stupid thing that was just space behind the bed.

I would have taken space from my bedroom too for the en suite. The bathroom doesn't have to be all the way across the room. They could have use half for bathroom and half for their wardrobe if they took the extra space. To me it looks a whole lot better as a square box than the narrow space.

I can't get angry for Dan and Dani because of Stegbar because seriously they should have checked in after they got back because they know that the show likes to screw with them. Also the big reason why Dan and Dani are so behind is because Dan had to pull up the floor because he didn't put the insulation in for the last room. Keith warned him that it was going to take time. And seriously who spends four hours picking out what to put in their bathroom. They weren't going from store to store. It was all right there at their fingertips.

Apolsenc

Apolsenc

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

I just want to say that I don't have a "work product", I'm not being paid for anything.

gypsy landslide

gypsy landslide

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

The challenge episodes are really annoying me... I want to see renovating! I got all angry for them when they got dragged out to Geelong in last night's ep! I thought Dale and Sophie were going to win though, since they had Sophie saying how they never win challenges.

I have also noticed they didn't fire their music editor after last year because they're pulling the same shit this year.. just picking any song with a line in it that's somewhat relevant to what's going on, on screen - even if the music sounds completely out of place! It's up way too high in the mix too, I find it so distracting.

One of my brother in law's mates is one of the Stegbar guys who's been getting lots of screentime this week! He popped up last year but not as much. Heh.

xfuse

xfuse

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

I don't know how much of a voucher they got from Stegbar but unless it was epic I wouldn't spend seven thousand on glass for a tiny tiny en suite.

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

I am also very frustrated and annoyed with the challenges and would much rather see them renovating and not having their job made just about impossible. And I am finding myself angry on behalf of the contestants who seem to be having to cut corners instead of being able to do the best job they could under better circumstances. If I was buying the place I sure would want them to be working as many hours as possible on the place instead of off wasting so much time doing stupid challenges. I would think it would surely cost them money in the end.

And btw, I hated Dale and Sophie's dining room chairs, looked really cheap and nasty to me.

xfuse

xfuse

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:49 AM

I don't think they are cutting corners because with the exception of Dan and Dani they aren't really doing much of the work. They seem more like project managers; some of them with their hands into it more than others. The ones that are behind are Andrew and Mike who couldn't agree with their plaster(if they agreed with what he said they would have been caught up to the rest) and Dan and Dani who didn't have any. I know the men all help when they are there but when they aren't they need someone on- site to do work. Until the show drops the challenges(which I hate) then it isn't going to work with the contestants doing the majority of the work. Rob last year did alot of the work but there were times when he was away that he had tradies in.

I think the really smart or lucky ones are Dale and Sophie because they have Shiran as their builder. Not only is he good at his job and can give them all kinds of advise but he has done this before. He probably already had people in mind to do the plastering and such.

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Yay for the boys won the room this week! Their room looked amazing. I liked everyone's rooms bar Dan & Dani - but I'm not surprised they didn't get their ensuite finished. I'm more surprised the other teams got everything finished.

Does Sophie do nothing but shop? Every quirky thing that was being built in their bedroom, either Dale or a tradie did for her. Can that girl not wield some sandpaper or a paint brush herself?

edited because I can't spell.

Edited by TVJunkie, May 7, 2012 @ 6:56 PM.

TallulahBelle

TallulahBelle

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:50 AM

Petty whinge about The Block for the night: why is it that when the couples are driving it's ALWAYS the guys driving? That would make me INSANE /pushybitchandproudofit

I am also over the stupid challenges - let them bloody RENOVATE. I would NOT want to be forking out hundreds of thousands of dollars for a house that I KNOW isn't as perfect as it could be because instead of finishing it properly, the builders/decorators were off refurbishing couches or something. Grah.

xfuse

xfuse

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

This show has been one of my top five shows in the past; now i'm missing the Renovators. I know we didn't get to see much of what they did either but it certainly was more than what we are seeing this year on the block. There is nothing but challenges and i'm pretty sure that paintball getaway that the boys organized was either tptb either did for them or got them to do. It seemed like it was mandatory to attend. It seemed like half the other teams actually had other things they wanted to do. I certainly do see Dani missing her appointment in order to be polite to the boys.

It seems like all the couples are doing are painting, decorating and designing the rooms. Even Dan had to break down and get someone to do the actual work.

After watching Block Unlocked I have to agree with Laura; as nice as the boys rooms were they shouldn't won. I could understand if it was only the towel racks that were missing but towel racks, toilet paper holder, door not being able to close, mirror, and no door knob is a lot of things that wrong for a winning room.

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

I definitely think the room that won that week should have been out of blue or green. They were the only ones who had everything finished. I probably would have given it to Blue, as they didn't have the cheap floor tiles in the ensuite.

I don't know what else Blue or Green (can't remember all the names yet!) have to do to win. Although the boys teenage/kids bedroom was excellent. But if you are going to put a massive tv in it, to make it more grown up, then don't put a tree on the wall with a child's handprints. And really, a claustrophobic small dark blue room, with only one bedside table wins?

xfuse

xfuse

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

One of my big problems with the judges is that couples get punished or awarded for the size of their rooms. It is not Sophie and Dale's fault their bathroom is the smallest (even if they took the laundry out). That shouldn't be a tick against their room. The rooms should be judged by how well it works for the size. Same thing goes for the bigger bathrooms or bedrooms, it shouldn't be given any extra points because it's bigger but how well the space is used.

I think Dan and Dani got off way too lightly. It might have been their first offense with being caught with noise but it wasn't the first time they were caught doing something wrong. They should have been given a much heavier fine.

Thirty thousand on a bathroom, seriously. That might be the most expensive room done on the block.

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

It does feel that the judges are so far up their own arses with the interior design chant of "space & light" that they are undervaluing smaller rooms. The other thing I hated was the hate of a normal bath. With the trendy new baths that Brad & Lara and Dan & Dani put in, cleaning around the bottom of them is not going to be easy. There is a massive piece of exposed floor under the window that is going to be impossible to get a mop to. Saying that, I did like Brad & Lara's bathroom the best. The only issue I really had with the judging is not marking down Dan & Dani for their broken mirror in the laundry. If they'd won, I would have been upset purely for that, before the other things.

Dan & Dani did get off too lightly. They have been told before and not just by the other contestants. I'm pretty sure Keith has said something about noise to them. So really it's not a first offense and they should have been disqualified. (just like the couple who had the twin painting for them a couple of years ago). And what was with their justification of "if it was annoying you, you should have said something". Dan & Dani are adults. They know the rules & understand them as well as anyone. The other teams are not their mothers, or the producers of the show, and it's not their responsibility to point out when D&D were breaking the rules.

xfuse

xfuse

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

It seems like the judges look at a room and think of how it would look in a magazine. While styling is important to make a room look nice and draw in interest I don't know anyone who takes it as the deciding factor in buying a house. Even with excellent styling no one is going to walk into any of those houses after they buy them and not change things.

There is a massive piece of exposed floor under the window that is going to be impossible to get a mop to.

Polly mentioned that last year with Josh and Jenna bathroom and I agree. All it takes is for someone having to clean down behind those tubs once before you get annoyed with them.

Was the next room that they are supposed to do mentioned.

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

Anybody have any idea why they haven't done the roof yet? Seems to me that would be the first thing I would want to get done. Or is this just another way of tptb making it as difficult as possible for the contestants?

xfuse

xfuse

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

Anybody have any idea why they haven't done the roof yet? Seems to me that would be the first thing I would want to get done.

I think it's because they just finished building the area for the third bedroom.

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

Oh, ok thanks, that makes sense then. It just seemed ridiculous to me that they would risk getting their newly done rooms water damaged.

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

The third floor has only just been erected, so I suppose the roof is only going on now they have to actually do the rooms up there.

Yay for Dale & Sophie finally winning a room - and I don't think it was shown, but I think they actually put a linen cupboard in their hallway as well, I'm sure Scotty & Shelly mentioned it when they came and had a look. Smart thinking. I laughed at the bunny head mounted on the wall. Hilarious. The exposed brick wall looked amazing.

gypsy landslide

gypsy landslide

Video Archivist

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

I agree about the exposed brick - I'm not usually a fan of it but loved it there! Loved the suitcase drawers too - well deserved win.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

I'm not sure I can really get behind any of these people, other than Brad and Lara, who are really great. Sophie is a bit of a waste of space--she's one of those fluttery types who hides lazyness behind helplessness. Dani is a major beyatch. Every word she says has that snide sound of superiority in how she forms her words, and she actually makes me feel sorry for Dan (kind of hard to do, since he's a bit of a lunkhead). Dale is okay, I guess, but he swings between overindulging Sophie and blowing up at her--neither a good recipe for a good marriage. The brothers are just kind of... there. They seem like okay blokes, but they kind of bore me.

Lara once again showed what a lovely person she is with her volunteering to paint for that helpless nitwit Sophie. And Dan redeemed himself there too. The whole incident just made me dislike Sophie even more though.

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

Really, Wylie? I felt sorry for Sophie last night. Her husband has been hospitalised for an infection that could be incredibly serious - so serious they are keeping him in for days on antibiotics - who doesn't do any of the physical work of the Block, but does all the artwork & makes all the lamps etc, coming back from hospital worried about her husband & the seriousness of the situation, who looks around the room and is so overwhelmed she doesn't know where to start. I can wield a paintbrush, and even I would have sat there on that bucket wondering what to do first in that situation.

I like Brad & Lara, but I also really like Dale & Sophie. I respect them & their attitude. When Sophie & Dale were arguing about sanding the stairs, Sophie afterwards said to the camera that no matter what, their relationship came first. I think that's healthy. Definitely healthier than Dan & Dani's attitude of "win at all costs".

gypsy landslide

gypsy landslide

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 3:00 AM

I think Dale can be a bit of a dickhead sometimes but I really like Sophie (and Brad & Lara)! I felt awful for her in last night's episode and thought it was so nice of the others to pitch in and help.

I like Dan too, and wonder why he puts up with Dani!

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

Sophie is a bit of a waste of space--she's one of those fluttery types who hides lazyness behind helplessness.

I agree with this. Why would you go on The Block if you are not willing to pick up a paintbrush and will only just put in a minimum of work on only the things that are in your comfort zone. But I did feel sorry for her with Dale in the hospital and her alone and overwhelmed. I am really glad the others helped out with the painting. Although again it looked to me like she was just putting in a bare minimum while the others did the bulk of the work.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

I like Dan too, and wonder why he puts up with Dani!

Dan seems to have some majorly dickhead moments too, but one wonders if he wasn't with Dani, if they might be a lot less frequent.

Really, it could be editing, but overall the guys mostly seem to deserve the women they have. Brad is a great guy, and so he's got Lara, who clearly is a prize. Dan seems like he COULD be a better person, like I said, but he's only half there, so he's saddled with the nasty piece of business he has. Dale comes off on the surface like an amiable guy, but there's some nasty hidden there, so his penance is a piece of baggage like Sophie. Karma seems to be working overtime here.

xfuse

xfuse

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

Sophie is a bit of a waste of space--she's one of those fluttery types who hides lazyness behind helplessness.

I don't think that she is lazy. I think that she is just comfortable with other things. Painting is one of those things that she is not comfortable doing. I think that she just is not confident in herself. She thinks she is horrible at it. She did paint the skirts while everyone else painted the room. It didn't even take them half an hour to do.

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 5:17 AM

I think Sophie cops a lot of unfair flack, not only from the audience but also from her partner. There is no way she is a lazy person, I think she is without question the most creative person on The Block this year and while her creations aren't always to my taste it still deserves acknowledgement. Not everyone knows how to handle power tools or can paint well. Her strengths lie elsewhere, and that's okay. I used to like Dale, but I think the way he speaks to her/of her can be downright mean.

My fave couple is without question Brad and Lara. Lara is such a champ, so incredibly good-humoured and hard-working, and I can't remember the last time I disagreed with anything she said or thought she could've handled things better. She is definitely my favourite person on the block this year.

TVJunkie

TVJunkie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 2:32 AM

Bugger. Damn those bonus points! Pity Dale & Sophie didn't have one too. Loved their kitchen, although Lara & Brad's was just as amazing. Loved the map.

Outsides this week - I wish they would separate front & back, or house & garden over two weeks rather than the whole of the outside in one.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

I think Sophie cops a lot of unfair flack, not only from the audience but also from her partner. There is no way she is a lazy person, I think she is without question the most creative person on The Block this year and while her creations aren't always to my taste it still deserves acknowledgement. Not everyone knows how to handle power tools or can paint well. Her strengths lie elsewhere, and that's okay. I used to like Dale, but I think the way he speaks to her/of her can be downright mean.

My fave couple is without question Brad and Lara. Lara is such a champ, so incredibly good-humoured and hard-working, and I can't remember the last time I disagreed with anything she said or thought she could've handled things better. She is definitely my favourite person on the block this year.

I may have been a little hard on Sophie earlier, but I still see her as a bit overly reliant on a weak and helpless mode. Other than Dan, this is all pretty strange, unfamiliar work to all of them. Sophie went on the wrong show to be timid, I think. As for Dale's treatment of her? Its run the gamut from him completely folding to her whims to the opposite extreme of him losing his temper at her (often resulting in a lot of sarcasm at her expense too). I actually think he may need to assert himself MORE with her, and by doing so he probably wouldn't be a total dick about it when he DOES do so.

To me, its been more interesting to see Lara try stuff (and occasionally fail--although the show didn't really focus on her failures other than implying her whole "foreman" thing was a bit of a joke) then to see the other two women whine, mope and generally avoid anything other than "decorator mode". That's not to say there isn't significant impact from the decorator decisions, and Sophie's artsy-crafty stuff probably gives her the second biggest contribution in that next to Dani (who totally dominates her team's decorating decisions), but Lara is certainly the one I'd rather have as a teammate, despite the fact that (to be brutally honest) she's a bit style challenged.

The one I feel sorry for is Dan. Sure he's a bit of an a-hole. But a good deal of that is driven by Dani's harping and whining and ball-breaking. The only thing I can say I admire about her (other than maybe her sense of style) is how persistent she is. In her own way, she can work very hard, IF its the only way she can get what she wants and if she can't bully Dan into doing it completely himself. If it wasn't for those moments where we saw her make endless phone calls to check-up on something, or her admittedly clever buy and return strategy, all we'd have is the screeching harpy.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Jun 22, 2012 @ 6:19 PM.