The Block

• Please log in to reply

730 replies to this topic

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:54 PM

And here we go again.

From what has been in the media so far, it looks like, apart from a brunette chick instead of one of the blondes, the same demograhics have been filled for this round.

Hey, they've even remembered to include the ex-criminal and stripper demograhics - and by stripper I don't mean Jamie Durie!

The two gay guys are pleading they're NOTHING like Gav and Waz - I'll only believe it if they don't paint in their undies!

Unfortunately, though, the Ch9 publicity machine broke down -

WHEN an advertisement for The Block ran across the screen during Nine's cricket coverage on Tuesday, the commentators proved they were a little behind the times.

"That should be a very popular series . . . should be interesting to see where the block actually is," one of the boys commented. bet it was Richie Benaud!

"Ah, I think reports are saying that might be somewhere in Manly actually," one corrected the other.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:59 PM

The two gay guys are pleading they're NOTHING like Gav and Waz - I'll only believe it if they don't paint in their undies!

Hee. Wonder if they missed out on the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy - Oz auditions?

chocolatesauce

chocolatesauce

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 12:06 AM

I never watched the first series, so I'm interested to know what all the fuss was about.

It looked pretty boring the few times I switched onto it. I'm not a fan of shows like Backyard Blitz anyway so if it is like that then ho-hum.

BJC

BJC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 1:56 AM

I'm annoyed they went for pretty much the same demographic of contestants as last time, come on Channel Nine, some orginality please.

And if you need to have a gay couple, why does it have to be two guys?

I'm also annoyed that they are doing the show again in Sydney. What? There aren't several other major cities that would have been suitable.

But, despite all my ranting I'll be watching every week and no doubt spending many work hours in this thread.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 3:37 AM

I'm annoyed they went for pretty much the same demographic of contestants as last time, come on Channel Nine, some orginality please.

With ratings like last year's series, I guess they figured if it ain't broke don't fix it. What's with all the skanky blondes again, though!?

qu0s

qu0s

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:42 AM

I failed to see the appeal of the last series and I can't say that this one has me particularly interested either. It wasn't a bad series, but I didn't (and still don't) understand why this show was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. I'm sure this new series will be hyped beyond belief, but the only thing that might get me to watch is the chance for TWoP forum snarkage.

Still, I'll be quite happy to ignore the whole thing, as long as there's not another famewhore like that blond chick. Amy something? I couldn't believe it when she appeared on Carols by Candlelight this year. Come on, people. Appearing on a reality TV show doesn't automatically make you a celebrity. Just paint some walls, fill your apartment with ugly-assed furniture, then fade back into obscurity. Please.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:58 AM

Still, I'll be quite happy to ignore the whole thing, as long as there's not another famewhore like that blond chick. Amy something?

{Sings} You're the lighthouse, guiding me far...

That would be Amity Dry. Mind you, I think the OTHER skanky blonde who was part of the winning couple (Fiona?) was just as much a fame whore. How long did it take her to get her gear off for FHM or Ralph or whatever it was?

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 6:13 AM

Amy something?

Don't worry quOs, once people start forgetting your name, it means your heading to oblivion.Really if the record company was serious about her we would have had a 2nd album by now.

I didn't watch this show because renovation shows bore me. I'm sick of all the fix your homes, your garden, your pubic hair shows that are on Australian television at the moment. For the first time in ages, I'm happy about summer TV. We get to watch dramas and sitcoms. Please stay summer for ever.

When I saw the list of participants, I too thought, wow they've really broken the mould this series. I'm not going to watch. I'd rather listen to Guy for 60mins than watch this drivel. Go back to stripping Jamie and leave my TV alone.

Aah I feel so much better now that I have that off my chest.

Edited by Bill1978, Jan 10, 2004 @ 6:19 AM.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 6:59 AM

it's quite close to my place, I've been stickybeaking for weeks! I'll watch just to see Manly on tele. Heh, who am I kidding I never missed an episode of the last one. :)

Bobsbin

Bobsbin

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 7:44 AM

"That should be a very popular series . . . should be interesting to see where the block actually is," one of the boys commented. bet it was Richie Benaud!

Hee! It was Richie Benaud. His reaction to Tony Greig's Manly comment was his usual deadpan "Well that should be the most fascinating thing all year. I can't wait to find out if it is in Manly." Poor Richie doesn't give a damn about this stuff he has to promote.

I'm with those who never saw the appeal of this show and won't be watching. Along with maybe five other people in this country.

Glark

Glark

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 2:27 PM

Does "The Block" have iterations in various countries?

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 4:53 PM

We believe that the concept has been bought by somewhere in the USA.

For the uninitiated: 4 couples get $70,000, each renovating their own derelict apartment, in the same small block. They get about 7-8 weeks, must work their own jobs every day and renovate at the same time. They must form a commitee/body corporate, meet every week to discuss issues, and get together to improve the outside of their properties.

There are challenges every week where extra cash or prizes e.g. huge plasma TV's, are awarded. At the end of the period, they must successfully auction their property thru a realtor, all make the profit above the reserve, whoever makes the most profit overall wins an extra $100K.

This is the second series, I cannot believe we didn't snark at the first! As mentioned above, the types of people in the first series are pretty well much mirrored by the contestants chosen for the second series. As long as we don't have guys painting in their undies (if you thought Buck Nekkid was bad, you should have seen Gav and Waz) and an airhead with a pimp of a husband pushing her singing "career".

So, that should cover it.

Edited by Andrew's Mommy, Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:07 PM.

htt9au

htt9au

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 9:47 PM

And another important fact about The Block...

It's hosted by an ex-stripper. Apparently he stripped his way through college to earn a gardening degree (sorry I mean landscaping) and went on to do a make over gardening show that was highly rated. Then along came The Block and now he's like a hottie or something.

Sarahj

Sarahj

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 10:40 PM

This little tiny article was tucked into the left-hand corner of today's Daily Telegraph:

The Block Defended
THE Nine Network yesterday stood by it's decision to allow The Block contestant Dani Bacha, convicted of manufacturing drugs, to continue on the show.
A statemnet released bu Channel Nine said the network did not condone any kind of criminal activity, but Bacha had paid for his "mistake" and should be allowed a second chance.
Bacha, 29 of Parramatta, spent six monthsin Parklea prison after being charged with drug offences.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:26 PM

Glark Were you asking because the title doesn't need Australia after it, if it's the only The Block? Or were you just wondering?

htt9auJamie Durie has been on other television shows well before The Block.

Edited by raen, Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:31 PM.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 2:22 AM

I hope they express better taste in interior design this time than last time. I've never seen so much brown and beige crap in my life. I'd like to know at what point it was decided that lack of colour = good taste, and who the frell decided it! The only apartment I even remotely liked was the one which fetched the least money - shows how much I know. :)

Glark

Glark

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 2:28 AM

Glark Were you asking because the title doesn't need Australia after it, if it's the only The Block?

Yep.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 2:40 AM

Glark It seems like it is at the moment.

There's going to be an Ocean Beach Precinct meeting to discuss the show. Here is an extract from the Ocean Beach Gazette:

Manly will soon be thrust into TV land- when the old Backpackers Hostel In Whistler Street becomes overrrun by camera crews and wanna-be stars-taking part in the ultimate renovating challenge. The DA for this development was given to the Precinct on the last day of the last month's Precinct meeting- with no reference that it would be used for 'The Block' TV Show. Why did Manly Council keep the community in the dark and not enable everyone to voice their concerns. As residents how to you feel about this invasdion?? Will it be good for the area or will it cause disruptions to your peaceful living as it did in Bondi last year??will the show cause major parking problems? do you have concerns about late night and early morning noise? what restrictions should the Council stipulate on the show to ensure that local residents aren't inconvenienced? [sic]

Seems like the local dudes are feeling a little bit negative about the show, and they could use some grammar advice from Sars, too. ;)

Aussie Andrew

Aussie Andrew

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 5:57 AM

Uh, Steve and Richard the new gay couple, own a Shih Tzu. *Remembers 10 year old joke* What do you get if you cross a Shih Tzu and a Bulldog! :x
Anyway, I'm already sick of them and their animal and I've only read two articles about them. I'm hoping the dog gets crushed in some horrifyingly ironic way. And they look annoyingly new agey, if they dare bring out cleansing crystals or some crap, I will... I don't know what I'll do. But the show hasn't started yet, so I shouldn't complain yet.

The Druggos, ug, I can't stand them either, they seem so.. fake. I'm sure she's had plastic surgery.

The other two look pretty nondescript at the moment.

And http://entertainment...255Enbv,00.html UG, how much do I hate you news.com.au *Rolls eyes* what a stupid story.

But I enjoyed the last block, I was bored so I watched it from the word go. But the product placement and that clip of Jamie Durie and the underpants still haunts me. But I was glad Fiona and Adam won, they had the best one IMO and besides, you could see how they had tried to edit them in a bad light, but as time went on you saw they weren't.

Oh well, come on Channel 9, bring us another ratings winner. It'll be nice to see The Block 2 crush Popstars live :)

Bill1978

Bill1978

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:15 AM

What do you get if you cross a Shih Tzu and a Bulldog!

I'll bite cause I need to know. Is the answer BullShiht?

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:50 AM

I haven't seen any Echos near the building. Parking is a real issue around here, they have recently made my street and the street that runs from mine to the corner opposite the building into two hour limited parking. The beach is now meter parking so there are more cars here a street back from the beach anyway.

There don't seem to be a large amount of cars around the building, though. I don't know where they'd park them anyway.

The building next to it is a beautiful heritage guesthouse which has about 3 car spaces, perhaps they have rented those or something.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 4:45 PM

This time it's Rav4's. Guess that they can carry more of their designer crap in them.

raen, you are aware that you are now on a mission. we need to know EVERYTHING.

I guess if there are o/s Block versions that they've been able to keep them more undercover, or they've come up with a more crappy name.

Aussie Andrew

Aussie Andrew

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 5:17 PM

Bill1978 You win!

Andrew's Mommy Good god, you are right!

Raen You have to go tapping on their windows at night, pretend you're a prospective buyer (Act all snooty) or that you want it to be donated to Charity or something. And if they don't follow your plan, throw eggs at their house. Or just hang around outside and talk to tradies, get on your king g's and put some paint and dirt on them and you'll blend in.

chocolatesauce

chocolatesauce

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 5:41 PM

Last time the show seemed a bit rigged because the people whose auction was last got the most money, as people on their side knew how much to bid for. I hope they work out a different system this time.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:04 PM

raen, learn a trade, or become an interior designer. All you need is a camp attitude and style, call everyone "dahhhhling".

If all else fails, we want you to streak at the auction.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:52 PM

Hee! I'll be there, no fear! Streaking may be a little trickier to organise.

As I walked past on the way back from the gym this morning (red as a beetroot and sweating enough to fill a damn) an official looking guy must have interpreted my "Please-kill-me-I-can't-breathe-my-legs-are-shaking-the-trainer-was-trying-to-kill-me" expression as a "Get-the-fuck-out-of-our-suburb" expression because he was all "Good Morning!" in an over cheesy crawling PR kind of way. And I was [breathless]" G'Mor{hoooor}n{hing}" [/breathless].

I'll have to suss out the RAV4s, I was trying to find a set of 4 cars but couldn't see any. There are heaps of people working away but they have shade cloth up on the scaffolding all around the building, so it's not easy to stickybeak.

There was a car waiting to get past a truck for quite a few minutes as I was walking up the street and the driver didn't look overly impressed.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:55 PM

Ok raen, we need you to overdo it at the Gym tomorrow, and flat out pass out or have a fit outside the block. 10 points if one of the blondes comes out to save you. 20 for the brunette. 30 for one of the gay guys. 40 for ths shih-tzu. 50 for the drug lord.

Muffinbasket

Muffinbasket

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:56 PM

Glad to see this thread up & running again. My anticipation for The Block 2, only comes second to ASS (All-Star Survivor) in terms of TV this year!

I'm not sure which one it was, but one of the Sydney Sunday papers had layouts of the apartments. At first it looked like pretty much the same as last years apartments, but then I noticed that the upstairs units have an extra room, and 2 levels. Did any other Sydney-siders see this? Raen?It looks like an incredible advantage. The 2nd level seems to fit a 2nd bedroom & bathroom. All the apartments have 2 bathrooms as well. I always thought that the top floor units would win, given the views etc, but I guess Adam & Fiona won last year and they were downstairs.

Also, glad to see Ch 9 have branched out with their casting (snerk)...I didn't think they could outdo the Himbo/Bimbo combo they had with Adam & Fiona last year, but they've gone a picked two couples who look identical! (and probably with hardly a brain cell between them).

Aussie Andrew

Aussie Andrew

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:09 PM

raen, learn a trade, or become an interior designer. All you need is a camp attitude and style, call everyone "dahhhhling".

Hee! Thanks for the laugh Andrew's Mommy Although I find it odd reffering to your name like that because my name is Andrew :\ I'll just call you AM then. lol.

Although in the first series they got 40 000, it was fun seeing Amity taking all her Shabby Shit/Chic back for cash. Sure its another room, but another 30 000 0_o

Raen

Here's an idea to get the goss, have a welcoming street party for the couples! Hold it in your backyard and have them all come over for free beers and stuff! And then get the goss on them and take pictures. I'm sure if the Druggos love substance abuse, beer will be no different, get them drunk them put them into compromising poses, like with that annoying dog.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:16 PM

I need to go past in the evening, because I guess lots of the contestants are at work at this time of day. Andrew's Mommy you are a total crack up!

The building used to be a backpackers lodge but before that it would have been an apartment block. I wonder why some are different, maybe they tried to even out the backyrad/terrace advantage of downstairs with having an extra room upstairs. There are no balconies and the building is on the footpath just about.

The street is narrow, has mainly daggy semidetached houses and daggy apartments and it actually forms the back lane of a couple of large apartment blocks. It is not a very nice street, really. There are a couple of nice sandstone houses but overall Whistler street is not one of the gentrified streets around here.

And today is garbage day so all the bins were out, the street stank in the heat. (We still have those old fashioned round bins with the loose lids around here for garbage, only the recycling is in Otto bins.)

Edited to say to Andrew: I'm not really close enough to call them neighbours, I'm a few streets away and now I feel like a beer. ;)

Edited by raen, Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:18 PM.