Still as Much in Love as Ever: The Non-Bitter Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

701 replies to this topic

brighid

brighid

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:14 PM

I don't remember 24 ever having a non-bitter thread and a search didn't show anything so I hope this is ok.

I'm still happy with the show. I think this season is great and while not happy with all the character storylines (Palmer) I'm enjoying 24 as much as I ever was.

Hopefully, I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:57 PM

You are absolutely not alone. I'm enjoying the show more than ever. Sure, there are little plotholes and imperfections here and there, but none of that stuff is nearly significant enough to distract me from the great characters, the tension, the pacing, the intended highs and lows, and so on. 24 is an escapist, fictional thrill ride, and in that context, there's nothing better.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 10:20 PM

I agree!
Although it is very fun to come to this site & pick on 24, I do love the show. Prime time TV is supposed to be entertaining and that's about it (in my opinion) so if parts of it make you laugh for the wrong reasons that's OK.

CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 10:57 PM

I'm still happy with the show. I think this season is great and while not happy with all the character storylines (Palmer) I'm enjoying 24 as much as I ever was.

Hopefully, I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Yea... a non-bitter thread to share with those that still find the show engaging and fun - even with the aggrevating minor subplots that keep rearing their ugly heads. Thanks for starting this thread and hope it sticks around for a long time.

Can't.wait.till.next.Tuesday.

I've been obsessing about the implications of last nights episode and the hotness of next weeks preview all day!

Is it on yet?

rog2420

rog2420

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:08 PM

I'm still entertained....If I wasn't, I would not be posting on this bulletin board right now.

Paulette

Paulette

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:15 PM

I love 24, for me this is the best TV show and this season has been exciting.

JoBu

JoBu

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:53 AM

I'm in. I love to pick on the Palmer plotline, and Kim, but I would go so far as to say that the 2-4 is a weekly highlight when it is on.

As a fierce loyalist and dedicated optimist, I'm perhaps not the best judge of maintained quality, though. I stuck with H:LOTS during the Falsone years, Twin Peaks as Lynch decended deeper into his heart of darkness, and the X-Files during the Mystic Pizza seasons. And I've watched SNL since the very beginning (when I was a wee lad), always keeping the faith that there will be a good sketch coming up after the one with Tim Kazurinsky is done, or Victoria Jackson, or Horatio Sanz ("C'mon, Mrs. JoBu, let's just give it until the next commercial break!"). I will likely stick with 24 even when Chloe is running CTU and Mike Novick returns to political life as POTUS.

Anyway, I don't think 24 has slipped to Kazurinsky levels yet. In fact, while I believe it has flaws, I still find it to be just about the most compelling program on the air, week after week. That said, I believe that the secondary/tertiary storylines could be improved so that the quality of the show is more even. I don't need to be on the edge of my seat when Palmer is on the screen, but I'd rather not sink into slumber. As much as I love the show, I'd love it to be even better.

trippyhop

trippyhop

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:20 AM

I am still a 24-head. I don't think I will stop loving this show. True, I may grumble when the President is still loyal after five years (in 24 time) of being wronged, or when Kim trips on the floor and is kidnapped by mice, but I still look forward to the show every week, and I am still on the "this is the best show" boat.

dzhim

dzhim

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:10 AM

It's tough for me to remember what I thought of 24 when I first started watching at the beginning of Season 2. It was an interesting show, but I didn't know any of the characters, and I was having difficulty keeping the twenty blondes apart in my mind. I was already snarking it by the second episode, when I won ten cents by betting my roommate that that Wald's crew's computer would make a loud "beep" noise when it finally found Jack's "identity." I watched the show each week, but I was never seriously, seriously into it until I watched the first season on DVD over the Christmas hiatus and got caught up with all the characters and everything.

What bothered me most with S2 were the extra storylines. Kim's escapades were fine - interesting, actually, and sometimes exciting or surprising, right up until the police officer found Carla's body in the trunk. After that, they were mostly crap. And the wedding storyline? I never cared. If a freak accident caused a train to derail and crash into the Warner house, and killed all of them without any follow-up, in my opinion it would have been for the better.

This year, there's very little of that excess baggage, and I'm glad. I think the show's as good as it's ever been. It doesn't bother me that Jack's undercover mission creates a few plot holes in retrospect, because 24 has never made sense when seen with 20-20 hindsight. Quick cross-town drives have likewise been a staple of the 24-verse, so speedy recovery times don't bother me a whole lot either.

24 certainly isn't flawless, and I can think of a wealth of things from this season that could have been changed for the better without having any effect on the greater story. But it's still entertaining as hell, even this week's episode, which had been thoroughly predicted from the previews, had me on the edge of my seat through a good portion of it.

catluvr

catluvr

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 8:12 AM

I am so glad to see this thread started. I've been watching since the first episode and can't see myself stopping anytime soon. True, Season 1 is still my favorite and I wasn't as obsessive about watching in Season 2, but I still did and never missed an ep. Season 3 has caught my interest almost to the point of osessiveness again. I think the main reason is the way Jack is portrayed. He's more HUMAN this season, like he was in Season 1. In the first season he was hero Jack Bauer, but he had a softer side with Kim and Teri. In Season 2, I think he was portrayed as more of a super hero than a man. Now, just in my humble opinion, I think more of his vulnerability is coming through again, and I like the fact that the PTB are showing us that side of him again.

The only thing I'm disappointed in this season is Palmer's story line. Dennis his fabulous and deserves better.

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 8:52 AM

There was something of a Batman feel to Jack during S2, particularly in the early morning hours.

Someone in another thread likened 24 to a bad marriage that one stays in for the duration. That's pretty much how I felt while watching the Falsone-era Homicide: LOTS episodes, and that had been my all-time favorite show previously. But I'm still happy in this particular marriage.

faninohio

faninohio

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 9:37 AM

I am so this show's Bitch and will be until they pry my cold dead hands off the remote!

24 ROCKS! Sure, it has some idiosyncrasies that if obessed upon might make you wavier, but for the most part....it's t*e*l*e*v*i*s*i*o*n, entertainment, not real, made up stuff, an escape from reality. A very well acted and exhilarating escape at that! I love it!

So, color me not bitter. At. All.

Melia

Melia

Video Archivist

• Interests:24, Bones, Buffy, Angel, Lost, Sopranos, Smallville, Firefly

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 9:46 AM

I'm very good at fanwanking and I'm with fan in that I'm also 24's bitch. I love this show. It's actually the only show I've ever gotten so thoroughly wrapped up in. Sure I love other shows but I don't break into a cold sweat if I miss an episode. I never bought a tv show on DVD before until 24 came along. I don't know what it is about the show, but whatever it is, I love it.

raramama

raramama

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:00 AM

brighid, thanks for starting this thread!

I agree this show is still good and entertaining. Every show has it's flaws and material for snark. But I will stick with it til the end. I care what happens to the characters and I'm not going to just abandon them now.

The writers have been clever before and I'm hoping that they have more up their sleeve.

24-4ever

24-4ever

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:01 AM

Add me to the "I love this show" AND I love this season. The unbelievable parts don't bother me at all because as fan said - it's entertainment television. If I want realism I'll watch the news or a documentary. 24 is still the best show on tv.

amelia41

amelia41

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:31 PM

I've been hooked since the first ep of season 1. No bitterness here- I still absolutely love this show.

Pants Ninja

Pants Ninja

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:58 PM

I'm also not feeling the bitterness. I'm actually enjoying this season much more than the end of season 2, and I like the new characters quite a bit. Granted, Kim is just about as dumb as ever, but sometimes consistency is comforting, you know? At any rate, I'm still hooked every week, and it's still the only show that makes me gasp out loud and exclaim things under my breath ("Oh shit! That can't end well!" "Yes! Wayne's goin' down!" "I love her! She's ugly, but I love her!"). It's fun times, and I'm as addicted as ever.

BoE

BoE

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:11 PM

*Delurking*

Ditto on the non-bitter sentiments.

The hubby (*waves to Elliot*) and I look forward to 24 all week and are rarely disappointed with an episode.

True, I almost called it quits during S2. The seemingly endless torture scenes got to me. I have a 3-year-old son; there's enough torture in my life. But then I got over it and decided to just roll with it. The Adventures of Spawn and Her Amazing Boobies...and the Lustful Cougar...and the Lonely Cabin Boy...and Kung-Fu Miguel? Whatever! Bring it on. I just stopped expecting a carbon copy of S1 (which was perfect IMO), and it was all good from there.

S3 is a pleasure so far. Yeah, there are the pesky plot holes, inconsistencies and such, but they don't bother me much. Keep giving me the tense scenes, interesting characters, and throw in a WTF moment every once in a while, and I'll be happy.

I'm 24's bitch and proud of it.

*Relurking*

Edited by BoE, Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:14 PM.

faninohio

faninohio

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:24 PM

Can we get shirts with this on it? I'd buy a dozen!

Elliot

Elliot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:28 PM

While you're at it, why not just buy 24 of them?

faninohio

faninohio

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:38 PM

BWAH! Goddamn it. I always get caught like that!! You're right! 24 it is!

gallimaufry

gallimaufry

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 3:15 PM

I'm very happy with Season Three overall. I often thought that while Season One felt like a novel, Season Two was more like a serial -- including end-of-episode shocks like clockwork, which often weren't followed up on. Season Three still has an element of this, but overall it's much more like a novel. There's an interesting cast with a nice focus on the leads, and splendid developed villains for the first time in a year. Also, while Palmer's plots have been weak, they haven't been as downright ludicrous as anything last year IMO. They just aren't very interesting. I think this is shaping up to be a much better season than Season Two, although I doubt it will match Season One.

raramama

raramama

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 3:22 PM

Some t-shirt picture ideas:
Hold on there.

At gunpoint.

Shhhh!

I love that he's not doing anything but looking at his nails here.

Benji

Benji

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 4:25 PM

Thank god someone started this thread, I feel awfully guilty defending my love over in the Bitterness thread. Now everyone can just feel however they wish. Aww, I love America.

CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:03 PM

I feel awfully guilty defending my love over in the Bitterness thread. Now everyone can just feel however they wish.

Exactly my thoughts too Benji.

Now we can all agree to disagree and have our own place to voice that opinion without making each other crazy. Bitter. Sweet. it is.

Let's just hope the TPTB don't 'screw the pooch' between now and May....

Is it on yet?

MsAng22

MsAng22

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:34 PM

I too am glad to have this thread. I would sometimes read the bitter thread to see what others were saying and I always left feeling very sad and pessimistic.

Being a newer viewer, (I fell in love with 24 over the FX Labor Day marathon and just finished watching S1 on DVD about a week ago) I am still in love with 24 and am in misery that school starts on Monday and I have a Tuesday night class!!! WAAA! My VCR will be my best friend for the next few months.

Anyway, back on topic, I am as much a bitch of 24 as ever and can't wait for the t-shirts!!!

Benji

Benji

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:40 PM

This may be my favorite thread ever, excluding "Sexy non-sexy dialogue"! A love letter listing all the things I loved about the most recent episode (if bitter, reading may cause sudden queasyness and loss of appetite):

Jack's shaking and clutching himself was done brilliantly. So realistic, so vulnerable, so unlike we've ever seen him. If he only knew what an hour he had ahead of him.

Jack's first ever non-Teri kiss was far hotter than anything those two did together, as much as I love Leslie Hope. What a fun, unexpected surprise that this thing I had seen in the previews and felt spoiled by came before the first break!
This epihour was awesome on that front as well, giving us Nina before we were even halfway through when my cynical knowledge of 24 led me to believe it'd be an episode-ending moment a la Sherry's reappearance at the end of an oh so lame season 2 episode.

No Anne. No Ted.

Nina came back and had long hair. I've been wanting her back since just about a year ago, and if they couldn't keep it a surprise, at least they made it happen. Also, mad props to whoever had the great idea that they withhold her so we're dying to get her back and she doesn't end up annoying us like Kim.

I loved the way in which Michelle expressed concern for Tony because Tony was being a jackass. I love the twist that Tony looks clean for now because it surprised me, but I hope (and know) the writers don't expect us to think Tony is a-okay now. They did have him fall down last epihour.

Claudia is finally serving a major purpose. Her family has also returned to show the writers do have a sense of continuity, Milo notwithstanding. Also, I love Vanessa Ferlito, fugly nose and all.

Chase being tortured was terrific. I loved the agonized screams from the shed and Jack's reaction. What an interesting dynamic to have Jack unable to stop (and even somewhat aiding) the torture of his partner and daughter's boyfriend. I love the unflinchingly brutal shot where he is strung up and blood drips from his mouth, but that's just because, as next week's previews taught me, I'm so very sick.

Edited by Benji, Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:46 PM.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 5:04 PM

I read into Jack's look/response to the screams as almost "I told you so" - not in a negative way, but as though it flashed through his mind that this was the thing he was warning Chase about when they argued about the relationship with Kim.

HeyLo

HeyLo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:15 PM

edit

Edited by HeyLo, Nov 14, 2005 @ 10:52 PM.

ArubaForLife

ArubaForLife

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 6:43 PM

Well, I have been posting in the BITTER thread this season, because I've been bitter. Episodes 1-7 left me so disappointed. But then, something happened: Hours 8 and 9 were awesome! It was a return to the 24 I love. Bauer seems back to his old self again, and I am definitely back on board with this show.

I can't wait to see it on Tuesday!