Ratings & Scheduling: Trump Owns Us All

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

717 replies to this topic

Wildcard28

Wildcard28

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2008 @ 8:27 PM

I'm a bit surprised they are going to do it with celebs again, unless NBC decided to do that in case the writers strike stretched far enough into the summer that it would affect next season's prime time schedule to the point where celebs who otherwise would not be available would be.

Personally, I would go back to regular candidates myself, unless the cost of doing that makes it more effective to a celeb version, though it could also be a celeb version again because of what happened at Trump SoHo two weeks ago (for those who don't know, that was the site Sean Yazbeck chose when he won season five where a construction worker was killed when supports on the 42nd floor of the site collapsed).

I'm not surprised at all. Considering that the Celebrity version had much, much more buzz about it than the last "regular" Apprentice and its inital ratings were very good.... I can see the show never going back to regular contestants again.

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2008 @ 1:44 AM

So, no Saturday night rerun on CNBC? What's the deal? Is CNBC even tiring of all the Trumposity? I didn't catch Thursday's epi, what with the return of Lost and all (it wasn't even a tossup as to which show to watch) but now I'm left high and dry. Anyone have any insight re/when the rerun will air? Anyone? Bueller?

If Lost is returning to its 9 pm timeslot, Celeb Apprentice has got a lot to worry about. I imagine there are many others like me who will gravitate towards Lost with an eye towards catching CA on repeats . . . which can't be good for CA's first run numbers. Can someone explain to me why they thought competing against Lost was a good idea?

Edited by AlmondEyes, Feb 3, 2008 @ 1:48 AM.

Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2008 @ 7:12 AM

Because this week's episode was two hours, CNBC is repeating it tonight (Sunday) at 9:00 PM ET/6:00 PM PT and 9:00 PM PT/Midnight ET.

idledandy

idledandy

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

Yeah, 'cause there's nothing else on tonight...

Seriously, what are these people thinking?

Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2008 @ 1:49 AM

Actually:

It was done becuase Suze Orman is a Saturday night staple on CNBC at 9:00 PM ET/PT, and they didn't want to have to move that show to accomodate a two-hour NBC episode of this show, hence, the switch for this week to Sunday.

Edited To Add: It appears that CNBC has now added a third repeat of The Apprentice early Sunday mornings at 12:01 AM PT/3:01 AM ET (in addition to the two Saturday night airings).

Edited by Wallyhorse, Feb 10, 2008 @ 12:57 AM.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 11:16 PM

Trump may actually be around for years, as threatened.

NBC enjoyed a rare Thursday night ratings victory thanks to the two-hour season finale of "Celebrity Apprentice," which was won by British newsman Piers Morgan.

The reality franchise led the night with 12.1 million viewers, a huge boost from the 8.0 million who tuned in for the previous season finale in April 2007. But it was a far cry from the 28.1 million tally for the first season finale in 2004.

Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2008 @ 7:16 AM

He may very well, but:

I actually did not see the last three episodes myself (though that was in part because the last two episodes on NBC and CNBC aired opposite the NCAA tournament on CBS), and I had lost interest in this season because it was celebs. I would go back to regular candidates myself, as I found the show far better with regular candidates than with celbs.

That said, the finale's numbers were still rather good, given it aired directly opposite the regional semifinals (and games involving both North Carolina and UCLA) in most of the country.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2009 @ 11:39 PM

There is something about next week's schedule that confuses the hell out of me. On Sunday 15th we will have episode 8-03, which is a bridal dress challenge. The same episode is gonna be repeated on Saturday 21th as a two-hour episode. What gives? Is the repeat gonna be filled with deleted scenes?

juneboy44

juneboy44

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

There is something about next week's schedule that confuses the hell out of me. On Sunday 15th we will have episode 8-03, which is a bridal dress challenge. The same episode is gonna be repeated on Saturday 21th as a two-hour episode. What gives? Is the repeat gonna be filled with deleted scenes?

My guess is that NBC is trying the show out in a one hour format just to see how it will do. The show has been getting killed by Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters so NBC may be trying this out.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 12:04 AM

Looks like it's only because of the premiere of Kings. They announced ages ago this show is going to be two hours the entire season so we'll get the full version on Saturday. It seems like the networks are just giving up programming for Saturdays, as ABC is now also showing repeats.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 10:29 PM

After seeing the episode, I can actually see plenty of room to expand it. All they have to do, for example, is show what REALLY happened when Tom and Dennis went out to fill 15 minutes.

Show more of Ivanka and George, who hardly got to speak.

More of Dennis and Mr. ShetUps afternoon bar crawl.

Show what Joan did on her day off.

Trump's business lesson was absent. That's a tiny bit more time.

It will be a stretch though, because it was only a 1 part boardroom. Trump didn't send Tom out and have him come back in with 2 nominees.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2009 @ 8:03 AM

Is that so? In that case, even though I still have the episode sitting in my PVR and I know that Green is gone, I'm not gonna watch it. Let me just wait until Saturday to see the 2-hour one.

Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2010 @ 8:51 AM

Bringing over from the thread for episode 10-13: "Welcome to the Club," where Vermicious Knid wrote:

Thursday finals:
- 4.116 million viewers
- 2.5/4 HH
- 1.6/5 A18-49

In any other show that would be the nail in the coffin, but CA is already on tap for March. I do think with the new regime coming to NBC and the lousy ratings the regular Apprentice is done for.

I believe it's already been noted that this will likely be the last regular version of the show, however, given how ratings-challenged NBC is, I would not say never:

In fact, if Trump and Mark Burnett agreed to it, I could see where a new season of regular candidates could air first on CNBC with Saturday night "repurposing" on NBC. If CNBC can do even half the numbers of the finale on a regular basis with new episodes (that most likely on CNBC could air Fridays at 7:00 PM and Midnight ET), it would likely be a huge ratings success for CNBC given their main demo is high-income male viewers who ad buyers will pay a premium to reach.

Anyway, as to the likely reason the finale wasn't live this time, aside from NBC assuming low ratings to begin with:

NBC had to make the decision in late May or June concerning a live finale (the finale was actually filmed in late June from my understanding). At the time that decision had to be made, it was looking like the Indianapolis Colts-Tennessee Titans game (which in most of the country aired on NFL Network directly opposite the finale), based on how the Titans finished last year (8-8 after an 0-6 start and after being 13-3 a year earlier) and the Colts being unbeaten before tanking their last two games (and being the Super Bowl loser) last year looked like it could be between teams that were both either 10-2 or 11-1 and for both the AFC South title and home field throughout the playoffs. NBC was likely very concerned had the Colts and Titans actually been 11-1 or 10-2 going into that game, no matter whether the finale was live or not, that game would have taken away many more viewers than it actually did from all network programming that night than it actually did, and the buzz from a live finale would have been completely muted by the Colts-Titans game (which likely would have under those circumstances gotten a rating very similar to ESPN's Monday night games that consistently have been breaking all records for cable viewership and often make ESPN a fifth network on Mondays in the fall).

I'm sure NBC took into account the potential ratings eater the NFL game could have been. Even with it only being between a 6-6 Colts and 5-7 Titans team, it still likely took away many viewers from network programming, plus NBC likely knew by the time the decision had to be made that they were looking at pre-emptions of the finale in Indianapolis and Nashville (where the game had to be shown over-the-air per NFL broadcast rules), similar to what likely happened a week ago in Houston (when the Texans played the Eagles in Philly, as I believe the NBC affiliate there is the Texans pre-season TV home, making them first in line to show any games on ESPN or NFL Network nationally) when I believe Part 1 may have been delayed to Saturday.

NBC probably took all of this into account when deciding not to do the finale live.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 4:55 PM

“America’s Next Great Restaurant” Ratings Bomb, “Celebrity Apprentice” Starts Okay

Ratings for “The Celebrity Apprentice” Sunday proved that the celebrity edition of the NBC reality veteran is still fairly reliable.

While fall ratings for a regular edition of “The Apprentice” were abysmal, “Celebrity Apprentice” returned to a solid 2.7 adults 18-49 rating with 7.89 million viewers.

The show also demonstrated consistent growth from start-to-finish, opening to a 2.4 rating and 9PM and wrapping with a 3.1 rating for the 10:30PM half hour.

And that performance all came without lead-in support. NBC’s new reality series “America’s Next Great Restaurant” absolutely bombed at 8PM, delivering a mere 1.6 adults 18-49 rating with 4.57 million viewers for its debut. There is no way around it–that is a bust of a series premiere.

Granted, the show was still down by about 15% from its premiere last season, so NBC is unlikely to be jumping up and down Monday afternoon.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Next Sunday there will be one hour episode of the Apprentice before the main episode. What is it? Is it a recap or a condensed rerun of the first episode?

paper heart

paper heart

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

Not quite owning this year

NBC ran a repeat of "The Voice" at 7, followed by the season premiere of "Celebrity Apprentice" at 9, which posted a 2.8/7 in the demo -- a 7 percent decline from last year's premiere, and the lowest-rated "Celebrity Apprentice" premiere ever. The premiere drew 7.4 million total viewers.

7% decline despite heavy promo and moving it to a week later to avoid the Grammy's.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

As with most reality shows in this vein, the ratings usually increase after the number of celebrities decrease. I'm not too worried about the ratings just yet.

eraser

eraser

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 2:16 AM

Ratings are always a struggle following a reality show repeat.

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Having to go up against the Oscars next week won't be pretty. Hopefully, they'll improve the week after. I like this group (especially the men's team). Too many unknowns on the women's team.

Yes I am a

Yes I am a

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

Too many unknowns on the women's team.

Now don't be overlooking the ever-so-famous Aubrey, truly a legend in her own mind.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:11 AM

The episode of 01 April, Walking Papers, will be a three-hour episode. Whoa. Three hours of Trump in one night. Is NBC really that desperate or does Trump hold something on them?

Edited by TV Anonymous, Mar 19, 2012 @ 7:12 AM.

eraser

eraser

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

Sunday from 9-11 p.m. ET, "The Celebrity Apprentice" delivered a 1.8/5 in 18-49 and 6.0 million viewers overall in a competitive time period that included ABC's "Desperate Housewives" and "GCB," Fox's "Family Guy" encore and "American Dad" and CBS's "Amazing Race," "Good Wife" and "CSI: Miami." From its first half-hour to its fourth, "Celebrity Apprentice" grew by 57 percent in 18-49 rating (to a 2.2 from a 1.4), to rank #1 at 10:30 among ABC, CBS and NBC. “Apprentice” also grew from its first half-hour to its last by 36 percent or 1.9 million persons in total viewers (7.1 million vs. 5.2 million). "Celebrity Apprentice" built on NBC's results in the prior hour from 8-9 p.m. ET by 125 percent in 18-49 rating.

For its second hour from 10-11 p.m. ET, "The Celebrity Apprentice" tied “GCB” for #1 among ABC, CBS and NBC in adults 18-49 and finished #1 outright in adults 25-54 and all key adult-male demos.

http://rbr.com/nbc-sunday-results-2/

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

I'm watching tonight's episode RIGHT NOW on ON DEMAND. I didn't realize these went up early. 2 Hours and 12 minutes is better than 3 hours!!

dad2two

dad2two

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

Thanks for the heads up Angelita. Now, I can watch it early and watch all my other shows in real time giving my DVR a break.

eraser

eraser

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

NBC's 'Apprentice' rises on slow Sunday

ABC, Fox rest top shows; Golf puts CBS on top
By Rick Kissell

Ratings for the broadcast networks sagged on Easter Sunday, with NBC's ''Celebrity Apprentice'' a rare bright spot, rising to a four-week demo high and leading its timeslot.

NBC moved up to second on the night, opening with ''Dateline'' (1.0/3 in 18-49, 5.0 million viewers overall) and ''Harry's Law'' (1.0/3 in 18-49, 7.6 million viewers overall), with the latter rising from its most recent original. Also up week to week was ''Celebrity Apprentice'' (2.0/5 in 18-49, 6.5 million viewers overall), which grew with each half-hour and peaked at 10 p.m. with a 2.4/7 in the demo. It was the best showing in four weeks for ''Apprentice'' in 18-49, which also drew its largest overall audience in five weeks.

http://www.variety.c...MorningTVReport

Edited by eraser, Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:16 PM.

vildachaia

vildachaia

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

I'm watching tonight's episode RIGHT NOW on ON DEMAND. I didn't realize these went up early. 2 Hours and 12 minutes is better than 3 hours!!

Whose On Demand, and how early, please. I can try to do that tonight.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

Turns out it was only for that one three hour episode. I've looked every Sunday since then but no more early on demands.

vildachaia

vildachaia

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Bummer. But thanks.