Does AI Need New Judges? (And Who?)

• Please log in to reply

398 replies to this topic

QuiGonJ

QuiGonJ

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 12:42 PM

http://www.thefutonc.../20100922fox01/

It's official (JLo and Steven Tyler), plus they are adding Jimmy Iovine as some kinda music consultant. Jimmy produced Stevie Nick's albums, along with Nelly Furtado and the Black Eyed Peas, and maybe they know they have to revamp the music formulas they have been doing the past few years.

Edited by QuiGonJ, Sep 22, 2010 @ 12:44 PM.

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 1:10 PM

Ugh, I am so NOT a JLo fan. Will make it hard for me to watch the show...and it was already a fast dwindling priority for me in the last couple of seasons. Steven Tyler will be entertaining and I've always liked Randy. This show will be waaaaay down on the list of must-see for me. J.Lo -- major diva -- annoying voice -- a true negative for me to tune in.

I had been holding my hopes out for Harry Connick Jr. -- cute, hilarious, smart and hugely talented.

Edited by MerBear, Sep 22, 2010 @ 1:13 PM.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 2:06 PM

I agree: JLo has a most annoying voice. Bleagh.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 4:52 AM

Not a big fan of her as a performer, but I actually liked JLo as a guest mentor (Season 6). She seemed to be very knowledgeable about the show and the contestants.

Many guest artists do AI just to promote their new CD's. I'm not sure if she was in a promotion mode at the time, but I'll say that she appeared to take her mentoring role very seriously and she made every effort to help the contestants. If she brings that same effort to the show every week she may turn out to be a very pleasant surprise to the judges panel - and a much needed one as well.

Harriet Vain

Harriet Vain

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 7:03 AM

I'm kind of liking what I see in the promo clips featuring the judges. Tyler seems much more into it than I expected. The question is, will a guy who hogged the stage for 40 years be able to let it be about the contestants?

Of course if we get another crop like last year, it might be nice to have somebody amusing to watch.

Out There

Out There

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 12:29 PM

The question is, will a guy who hogged the stage for 40 years be able to let it be about the contestants?

It's not like the previous judging panels didn't consist of divas who hogged the screen time. AI audience must be used to judges for whom AI was all about them.

Edited by Out There, Dec 29, 2010 @ 12:30 PM.

Double Down

Double Down

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 6:57 AM

Tyler seems much more into it than I expected. The question is, will a guy who hogged the stage for 40 years be able to let it be about the contestants?

After seeing the Jersey auditions, the answer appears to be a resounding NO!! Tyler acted like a spoiled kid pouting for his parents attention. What a horrible embarrassment this guy is.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather see Nigel in his spot (Blechhh!). At least he offers sober evaluations.

Snarkian

Snarkian

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

Steven and J-Low are gone. We can only pray that Randy hasn't followed suit only because it takes longer to pack up 11 years of irrelevancy from a dressing room... So to answer question #1 in the thread title - yes, AI definitely needs new judges. So, who?

How about some proven judges made available by the cancellation (or inevitable cancellation) of a couple other singing shows? My first choice, personally, would be to see them bring in the outstanding judging panel from The Sing Off en masse. Ben Folds, Sara Bareilles and Shawn Stockman all proved they can do the gig, and actually contribute meaningful musical commentary in the process. TSO tended to be very cheerleaderish for the a capella genre, so they didn't really provide much in the way of harsh commentary, but compared to J-Low, Beautiful and The Dawg, they were virtually conducting the Spanish Inquisition.

Another idea would be John Legend, who to me was the best judge on Duets. Not necessarily the best performer, but the one who provided the best commentary. Of course, if Kelly Clarkson wanted to come home, that would be fine too (as would Adam Lambert, imo...)

craigi

craigi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

I'd really like to see Jimmy be a judge. He could take over "the bad guy" role and they can fill the third seat with whatever vapid celebrity they can find. He was the only voice of reason last season regarding the singers. He'd be a perfect fit, but I'm sure they'll go for name recognition instead.

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

I'd love for Adam to get a slot, but it's now wired for Iovine to come in.

I'll also bet that there will be frequent and direct contact/mentoring between the contestants and all the judges.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

Ah yes. This topic takes on new importance.

Hey I know. Demi Lovato and Britney Spears! Use them! (snerk)

Chavin

Chavin

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

I would love to see Harry Connick Jr as a judge. He was great as a mentor; he's very funny, really knows his stuff musically and was one of the few mentors who gave actual technique suggestions and notes (not the general " that was pitchy dawg" type of feedback), and had no problem telling the contestants when something wasn't good (honesty). He has such a great personality (and cute!) that he would be a breath of fresh air for the show.

So, my pick for the three judges:

1. Adam Lambert
2. Harry Connick Jr
3. ?

Edited by Chavin, Jul 14, 2012 @ 11:37 PM.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

I like the idea of Adam and Harry. For the female I'd like Kelly Rowland.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 5:52 AM

I like the idea of Adam and Harry. For the female I'd like Kelly Rowland.

She was pretty bad on the British X-Factor, so no thanks. Not as bad as the British public accused her of being (go look at some of the UK-based boards when she was on), but still pretty substandard.

The problem here is that some of the smartest female stars, the biggest brains and most competent speakers, either won't want to do the show, or might be in that bracket of stardom that may be a little too low for the benchmark I think the show is trying to reach. I mean someone like Pink (assuming she could control her potty mouth) would be great, but she'd never do it. Lady Gaga would never do it (or be comprehensible in what she's saying if she did). Beyonce would never do it.

I think Katy Perry might be their best shot. I could actually see her WANTING to do something like this, and she's certainly got opinions aplenty and is willing to share them. Of course Katy's been accused of being something of a dumbass on occasion--so it would have to be determined if she'd actually have something meaningful to say.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Jul 16, 2012 @ 5:54 AM.

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

I think Katy Perry might be their best shot. I could actually see her WANTING to do something like this, and she's certainly got opinions aplenty and is willing to share them. Of course Katy's been accused of being something of a dumbass on occasion--so it would have to be determined if she'd actually have something meaningful to say.

Well she was a guest judge back in Season 9 and actually did have some good stuff to say, including her now infamous smackdown of Kara DioGuardi. I wouldn't mind seeing her back.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

She was pretty bad on the British X-Factor, so no thanks.

Oh, I didn't realize she was that bad. Well, acratch her then.

No Katy Perry though. I can just imagine her rolling those big eyes around and saying something dumb.

hatchlynn

hatchlynn

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

All the times I have loved Iovine's comments it has been during the look-back portion of the results show.
I believe that those comments are carefully scripted and that, at least on occasion, he even has the additional benefit of access to the results. It's easy to be witty and on point when you have the time and inside info to write your schtick before speaking and quite another to sit on live television and think on your feet. There have been many times Iovine has been asked something on the fly and he sits there unable to come up with even a lame response much less something pithy.

I think Idol needs at least one judge who knows vocals inside out and who also has the ability to articulate what they are trying to say. I want a working singer- not a lip syncing dance monkey. I want them to speak words that convey thoughts- not babbling catch phrases and inanities.
Someone who can offer suggestions on what to work on and how exactly to go about doing it would be quite useful to aspiring singers. To be able to give such advice in a constructive, nurturing manner all while being interesting to watch and fun to listen to is, IMO, the goal here.
I don't want big names for the sake of having big names. I want people who can speak in complete sentences and who have a vocabulary greater than a six year old and the knowledge to back it up.

I do think singing show fatigue is here to stay and that Idol's time is about up. But I see no reason they can't find younger, edgier people who also know their stuff to see that their last years stand up to some of their best. There are a few names being tossed around that I feel could work- it's just up to Fox to understand that saying words is more than babbling and that there needs to be a sound understanding of the processes of singing and stagecraft behind the faces.

stcroix1

stcroix1

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

I can NOT believe they're seriously considering rapper Nicki Minaj as a judge. An article I read on AOL says Randy Jackson is leaving as a judge, but will be around for a mentor-like status. I'm thrilled he's leaving the judging table, he's a nice enough guy but all his comments seem so simple and repetitious. Another person seriously in the running as a judge is Keith Urban. I know his name and that he's married to Nicole Kidman, but that's about it. I know he's a serious performer. But... Nicki Minaj?!?! My favorite reality show may not make my DVR list next Jan...

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

Why not Nicki Minaj? The show is interested in ratings - not good judges. They made that clear when they brought Steven Tyler, the walking drinking game on board. Personally, I think TPTB are hoping for a cat fight between Nicki and Mimi. That would be pay-per-view worthy. Woo-hoo!!

drunkinthefog

drunkinthefog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

I can NOT believe they're seriously considering rapper Nicki Minaj as a judge. I know he's a serious performer. But... Nicki Minaj?

Nicki Minaj is not a serious performer? News to me. Does the fact that she's a rapper disqualify her from being a serious performer? And why does one have to be a serious performer to be an Idol judge? Was Simon one? Randy? Paula? Kara? Ellen?

Edited by drunkinthefog, Sep 3, 2012 @ 12:30 PM.

IMCallingIT

IMCallingIT

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

Mariah Carey, Niki Minaj, Keith Urban all have impressive resumes and are more than qualify to be judges. They also bring a good cross section of musical genres to the panel. It also sounds like they are going to have a 4th judge. I would like to see that position come from the business end of the industry (i.e., a record producer).

Edited by IMCallingIT, Sep 3, 2012 @ 2:14 PM.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

I am still hoping that the beautiful rumor of Adam Lambert becoming a judge on American Idol is going to turn into a beautiful reality.

It would be the most exciting change coming to American Idol.

Adam Lambert A Change is Gonna Come American Idol Season 8 performance-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zVOTfo7hJUc

areca

areca

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

I'm kind of there with you. I adore the idea of a veteran of the show who's been through the ringer for a couple years now coming back to help the new crop of kids. It's kind of full circle beautiful.

Edited by areca, Sep 5, 2012 @ 7:58 PM.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

Nicki Minaj is not a serious performer? News to me. Does the fact that she's a rapper disqualify her from being a serious performer? And why does one have to be a serious performer to be an Idol judge? Was Simon one? Randy? Paula? Kara? Ellen?

Why not Nicki Minaj? Rap is a legitimate art form and a prolific money maker. I see no reason why Minaj shouldn't be on the judges panel. She is no less a performer than JLO, Paula Abdul or Steven Tyler. The other former judges like Randy and Simon mostly worked the production end of the business (though Randy does play bass guitar), and Ellen has no musical resume that I'm aware of. My only concern is that they won't have an IDOL-experienced judge on the panel for the first time since season 1. It may take some time for this new group to gel.

I would like to see that position come from the business end of the industry (i.e., a record producer).

Totally agree. Personally, I'd like to see either Jimmy Jam (Harris) or Terry Lewis join the team. Of course, I've never seen them in public without each other. I wonder if one would consider working without the other one. LOL.

Edited by getawayjordan, Sep 6, 2012 @ 5:03 PM.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I just prey that Enrique doesn't get this job. He was terrible on X factor when he was working with Nicole. What made it bad was that you could tell he was lying through his teeth. I remember watching Dexter completely ruin a Beyonce song and you could tell Enrique thought it was awful. He was all but wincing. And then when it was time for critique and decsision making as to whether he should be cut, Enrique gave the old "he had good energy" bull shit.

I have no problem with Nikki being on the panel so long as we don't start having rappers on the show itself. I have no problem admitting that Rap is a serious artform that deserves respect but I don't think it has a place on these shows. It causes too many problems for me. Either the rapper can have no credibility like the fool on the Voice who was rapping others' lyrics or you have an Astro situation where I think its just a different skill set that can't be measured in the same way a vocalist/musician can. Allowing someone to use original material is an inherent advantage to me.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, Sep 7, 2012 @ 2:46 PM.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

I have no problem with Nikki being on the panel so long as we don't start having rappers on the show itself. I have no problem admitting that Rap is a serious artform that deserves respect but I don't think it has a place on these shows. It causes too many problems for me. Either the rapper can have no credibility like the fool on the Voice who was rapping others' lyrics or you have an Astro situation where I think its just a different skill set that can't be measured in the same way a vocalist/musician can. Allowing someone to use original material is an inherent advantage to me.

I agree that Rap is difficult to judge fairly against traditional singing, but the same old IDOL formula is getting stale, and they need to do something new to keep things interesting. I don't think they are ready for straight up rappers to invade the stage, but maybe someone who does a combination of singing and rapping. Naima did something similar to that with Rhianna's Umbrella. She did a combination singing and reggae rap that was rather fresh and original.

But back to the main topic, they still need judges who are capable, and not afraid to give honest evaluations. I don't really want another Simon, but I don't want a wuss either. The show needs someone who can deliver bad news without deliberately trying to beat the contestant down (Simon-style). Bad judging will take this show down more than anything else.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I'm kind of there with you. I adore the idea of a veteran of the show who's been through the ringer for a couple years now coming back to help the new crop of kids. It's kind of full circle beautiful.

Honestly, for me Kelly would be the best choice for that. Adam's career is too young, and frankly there's less cache in a loser judging than a winner--THE original winner being best of all.

Carrie wouldn't really work, I think, because she's usually got less to say than Kelly. But Kelly has a mouth on her and knows how to use it. The fact that her career probably needs a slight pick-me-up by this point also would help secure her (although it looks like its not happening THIS season, I'd try to scoop her up next year).

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Kelly has a mouth on her and knows how to use it. The fact that her career probably needs a slight pick-me-up by this point also would help secure her (although it looks like its not happening THIS season, I'd try to scoop her up next year).

Kelly could be a good choice and she may make a good, honest judge. She's certainly opinionated, and we need that on the panel. That said, if she didn't get selected this year, it may not ever happen. Seriously, I'm not sure how much gas IDOL has left in the tank, and if this new crop of judges is no better than the last, the show may go dark sooner than expected.

btw: Has Nicki Minaj been confirmed as an IDOL judge for this season?

Edited by getawayjordan, Sep 9, 2012 @ 11:19 AM.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

Carrie wouldn't really work, I think, because she's usually got less to say than Kelly. But Kelly has a mouth on her and knows how to use it. The fact that her career probably needs a slight pick-me-up by this point also would help secure her (although it looks like its not happening THIS season, I'd try to scoop her up next year).

I think Kelly would be a real good fit but I'm not sure how her career needs a slight pick me up. She's coming off an album that just spawned multiple number 1 hits. I would say the only person mentioned who needs Idol less is Nikki Minaj and even she might need it more then Kelly.

Chrissytd

Chrissytd

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

btw: Has Nicki Minaj been confirmed as an IDOL judge for this season?

Nicki has been confirmed as a judge.