Give or Receive: The $XXX,000 Pyramid

• Please log in to reply

270 replies to this topic

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Does each contestant stay for 5 days?

I think 5 days is the maximum, unless s/he reaches whatever winnings limit was in force at the time(Note: I don't have GSN, so I don't know which version is being discussed.)

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

Does each contestant stay for 5 days?

No, only the winning contestant gets to come back next day. However, with Feig's 2nd game, he and the other contestant tied, so they both got to come back. I don't know how many times someone was allowed to win and continue playing, but damn this is a great game. I see why I loved it so much as a kid. I'm so glad Feig was a contestant so I got myself to record these episodes.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

damn this is a great game. I see why I loved it so much as a kid.

I'm with you, braggtastic. Following Paul's progress has me thinking I'll just continue to TiVo it for awhile. I'm really enjoying watching this show again!

ETA to be more clear: I really enjoy the Dick Clark era. No interest whatsoever in any other version of the Pyramid.

Edited by stinkymcgee, Jun 22, 2012 @ 1:28 PM.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

I ended up looking around for some information, and found the following on Buzzerblog, a game-show based blog that's very reliable on information on things like this: GSN's The Pyramid Pilot Details

For those of you who don't want to bother reading through:
Front game gameplay is based on the 80s version - 2 teams, 2 games per show, 7 clues in 30 seconds. A perfect 7 for 7 in a category earns the player a $500 bonus.
Winner's Circle starts at $10,000, with an additional $5,000 added for each perfect 7 for 7 in the front game. So a perfect 21 in the front game means that player can play the WC for $25,000.
No bonus categories (Mystery 7 or 7-11)

Winner's Circle layout is as follows:
Bottom Row: $100, $200, $300
Middle Row: $400, $500
Top Row: $750

Host is Mike Richards (Beauty and the Geek, Executive Producer of The Price is Right and Let's Make A Deal.)

From Game Show News Net:
Celebs playing the three pilots taped were Yvette Nicole Brown ("Community"), Cat Cora ("Around the World in 80 Plates"), Chandra Wilson ("Grey's Anatomy"), and Horatio Sanz ("SNL").

Lastly, it does seem the pilots were LA based, so sorry, braggtastic.

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Jun 29, 2012 @ 8:27 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

Booo! I know Pyramid did move to LA, but when I was a kid, I went to a taping in NYC. I don't remember much except that Soupy Sales was one of the celebs & he didn't wear socks. It was winter in NYC & I thought that was weird.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

That's funny what you remember from that taping, braggtastic. I went to a taping or two of the Hollywood Squares when I was a kid -- this was the early years, when Charlie Weaver and Paul Lynde were the regulars -- but the only thing I really remember is that the set looked smaller than it did on TV.

I live in the LA area, but I just don't want to be on TV. However, if there was ever a game show I'd want to play, it would be this one. I have no idea if I'd be any good there in the studio, but at home I'm great! Yeah, I'd probably freeze up and embarrass myself. Those celebrities Dbrain2004 listed sound like good ones; i.e., ones that have some smarts. I don't know why I get that impression.

I didn't know who Mike Richards was, so I looked him up. Besides hosting Beauty and the Geek, he was also the exec producer of The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal. Did anyone here watch Beauty and the Geek?

Worleybird

Worleybird

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

I was at this taping of the $10,000 Pyramid, Thanksgiving week 1974, and somehow someone got a hold of an outtake concerning Tony Randall (ignore the horrible shag carpet):

Tony Randall

How56

How56

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

I was at this taping of the $10,000 Pyramid, Thanksgiving week 1974, and somehow someone got a hold of an outtake concerning Tony Randall (ignore the horrible shag carpet)

Nevermind the carpet, what about the jacket on Dick Clark. I was never a fan of his, but loved the Pyramid & don't ever remember him wearing loud jackets like that. Now here come the links to photos to prove me wrong.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

What a great clip. I love Tony Randall.

urbanpreppie05

urbanpreppie05

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

I'm abnormally excited about this...

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Did anyone here watch Beauty and the Geek?

I did, but I can't for the life of me remember the host.

In watching Dick Clark era reruns, I think the winners circle puzzles are HIGHLY variable in difficulty. I almost wonder if they do this on purpose, to control how often they have winners. If no one has gone to the top of the pyramid successfully in a while, do they dumb them down? If there are too many successes, do they up the difficulty?

I watched a $100,000 tournament of three highest scorers recently, where this one woman just dominated not only her week but also the tournament where they brought her back. She was something like twice as fast as the other two contestants in her qualifying win. And she seemed to have an almost psychic connection with one of the celebrities giving her clues-- he actually said to her at one point: "look into my eyes and I am going to send you pictures of the answers"-- and sure enough, she often zipped through with answers based on almost nothing.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 11, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

From an 80's show: Dick Clark to contestant: You're from Silicone Valley, what do they do there?

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Aug 11, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

I saw one recently where they gave away "a home computer with a monitor" as a prize.

lambertman

lambertman

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

My TV listings haven't been updated yet, but GSN is airing a sneak preview ep of The (New) Pyramid Thursday 8/30 at 10 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

Thanks for that heads up.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

In case any of you missed the Pyramid last night (like I did), you can watch some highlights of the episode here.

I thought it was very well done, and personally thrilled to hear the 'clock' SFX during the Winner's Circle, although it did feel a little awkward/eerie without any audience applause after correct subject guesses.

If these highlights are any indication, this is going to be appointment television, or at least a permanent place on my new DVR.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to remember to watch when it premieres Sept 3. I guess I can find it on my cable guide now.

The host is pretty bland, but that's better than being obnoxiously intrusive.

I wanna play!

Worleybird

Worleybird

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

Just watched the GSN premiere and it's aiight.

The thing that bothered me the most was the "LOUD applause track". And, yes, I believe it is a track. There was something slightly humorous in the first game and the laughter that came from that was definitely a laugh track. The applause was so loud you could barely hear the theme at the top of the show. Hearing the clock tick during the 30-second rounds was disconcerting as well. And those monitors look like they're on steroids. They are HUGE!!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

I guess it was the premiere that I recorded. Was this where the gal won when she guessed 'hand model'?

First thing that bugged me was when the host called Yvette & Danny's show "The Community." No. Just "Community." Grrrr.

But it was pretty exciting. I enjoyed it.

Question: Are the categories actually flipping over, or is that video that looks like they're flipping over?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

It was great! Wonderful reboot of a classic game show. It helps a lot that they had a superstar contestant for the first show - she was amazing. The host was a non-presence, but I don't mind that. Just give me celebs I like & intelligent contestants, and I'm in for every episode.

But having seen the second episode, I have two criticisms. First of all, I don't like that the winning contestant Monday doesn't get to come back Tuesday, and until he/she loses (or was there a five game maximum back in the day?). Secondly, I really didn't like having one of the categories sponsored by some product.

Edited by braggtastic, Sep 4, 2012 @ 6:43 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

Well, Danny Pudi isn't all that good a player, but Yvette Nicole Brown is great.

The guy contestant who lost 80 pounds was horrible. He was lucky Yvette is so good.

A couple of questions: Does the contestant have to give the clues in the winner's circle? I was shocked that the guy did that since he was such a fumble-mouth. (But it did work out ok.)

The guy contestant was bleeped when he was giving the clue, "Fly like..." when the answer was 'The Eagles." I guess it was because he was singing, and the show didn't want to pay the song rights?

The judges were inconsistent. The answer was 'bathing suit,' but Danny's response of 'swimming suit' was accepted. Also, at the winner's circle, one answer was 'Cities in France' but they accepted 'things in France,' but for 'Women of the Bible,' they wouldn't accept 'people in the Bible.'

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

Pudi is an inconsistent player, but he did well on Thursday's show. Yvette couldn't even come up with the name of a single Western - that was really bad.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

I think Yvette is great in the first part of the game, but she freezes in the "winner's circle." For things that stretch, she couldn't think of a rubber band or an elastic waistband, as well as totally choking on the western movies. There was another one that I thought she missed the obvious clue for, also, but now I can't remember what it was. I still love her, and I love how totally into it she seems to be. I worry sometimes that because of how much money actors make, that they don't really feel it how the wins are for the contestants, but either Yvette gets it, or she convincingly acts likes she does, and it's fun how she's as intense about it as the people she's paired with.

Danny seems to be the opposite. He's slow and sometimes pretty bad in the first part of the game, but I've seen his players win twice in the "winner's circle." I think this is a bad game for people who stammer, generally, so that is probably part of the problem. I don't know why he does so much better with lists than with definitions, though.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Yvette has won at least twice in the winner's circle.

There seem to be two episodes scheduled for today & then at least one overnight, which I'm assuming is a rerun. I hope they have more celebrities I like. Maybe they can get minor players on Parks & Rec too.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

I set up my DVR to record the new eps, but it doesn't seem like a new one was on every day. I think I've seen three eps with Yvette and Danny.

I just watched the one where she couldn't come up with any Westerns. She obviously knows titles of Western movies, but she just blanked. I felt bad for her.

I'm kind of warming up to the host. He's said a few funny things, but I still like how he basically stays in the background.

The male contestant was pretty good, unfortunately foiled by mistakes from his celebrity partners. He reminded me of Jesse Eisenberg. It made me chuckle when he was in the winner's circle and the host commented that he was sitting on his hands in solidarity with Yvette, and he said, "Full disclosure, this is how I usually sit."

I guess it was too much to ask that someone mention Marie from Breaking Bad when the woman contestant said she loved purple.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

They should have Hank & Marie from Breaking Bad as players!

It seemed to me that the show they aired Friday was the first one they taped for the week, with the questions asked of the celebs being very introductory things.

I wonder about the rule in the winner's circle that doesn't allow prepositions. What if one of the categories is something like "Things a troll would say"? You wouldn't be allowed to say "I live UNDER a bridge"?

Edited by braggtastic, Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:17 PM.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

They should have Hank & Marie from Breaking Bad as players!

It seemed to me that the show they aired Friday was the first one they taped for the week, with the questions asked of the celebs being very introductory things.

I wonder about the rule in the winner's circle that doesn't allow prepositions. What if one of the categories is something like "Things a troll would say"? You wouldn't be allowed to say "I live UNDER a bridge"?

With regards to any "What X would say/do" subjects, the clues are allowed to be much more lenient than in other, more list oriented subjects. I believe that short of actually saying the key word(s), you can get away with a lot in that regard.

One thing that I'm personally pleased to see is how often the contestants choose to give the clues in the Winner's Circle. Coming off the previous versions, where it's rare that this happens, it's refreshing to see contestants take charge of their own destinies, especially since they're probably used to practicing that way at home.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

Could you explain a little more what they mean by "no prepositions" or just give an example?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

When they're sitting in the winner's circle, the host says something like 'Unlike in the first part of our game you can't use your hands, just list items, no prepositions. Here's your first subject - go.'

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

Oh, I know that's what he says, but I'm trying to think of what the clue-giver can say that will violate that "no preposition" rule. I'm sure once I hear an actual example of a no-no it'll be obvious to me.