Give or Receive: The $XXX,000 Pyramid

• Please log in to reply

270 replies to this topic

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2010 @ 9:30 AM

I wish Pyramid would be a NY-based show, but Andy Richter is a good choice.

Has anyone else read the book When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead? It's a young adult book about a girl in the late 70s whose mother is practicing to be a contestant on $25,000 Pyramid. There's another main storyine, but the chapter titles are categories (Things You Leave Behind, etc) and there are bits about the show throughout, culminating in a taping. Definitely worth checking out of the library.

BX60

BX60

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2010 @ 7:16 PM

I have been watching the $100,000 Pyramid on Game Show this week. Crystal Bernard was one of the celebrities. She must be the worst player EVER on that show. She lost so much money for her partners through sheer stupidity.

MelissaCross

MelissaCross

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2010 @ 12:00 AM

OMG! I had to FF through all of Crystal Bernard. What a complete idiot.

Worst moment ever: one of the contestants was trying to get her to say the word "iron".. she was not. getting. it.... so - he said "Ferris" and she said (after a lengthy delay, in which time is of the essence) "Beueller!" and then started cracking up. The guy looked like he wanted to kill her. So did I.

Also - what was up with her lone ranger get up? Especially the black hat that obscured her face. Yeah - smart choice, on a game when contestants need to look at your face.
Idiot.

Love Tom Villard though. I remember him in a couple of random roles on the Golden Girls.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2010 @ 11:04 AM

Oh, and let's not forget her cringe worthy Winner's Circle, where she not only had to be stopped by Dick Clark from blowing the top box (Things You Brag About [Exaggerate]) by speaking in sentences, but afterwards, she actually asked "What does 'exaggerate' mean?"

My mouth dropped open in shock.

There has been some really bad game playing celebrities on this show, but that moment will stand out to me for all the wrong reasons.

GeneParmesan

GeneParmesan

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2010 @ 12:48 AM

Totally agree on all accounts with what has been said about how horrendous Crystal Bernard has been these past few episodes. It's been baffling, how stupid she seems to be.

Conversely, I've really been enjoying the $25,000 shows this past week. Richard Klein is always solid, but color me surprised by how great Lauri Hendler (known then for being on Gimme a Break) has been. She's been giving amazing clues in the Winner's Circle. She's usually giving the clues that I'm typically screaming at the TV for the celebrity to say. So thanks to the greatness of both celebrities, both contestants won $10,000 on one show and then tied again on the next show. It's been like watching a great tennis match waiting for one of them to break serve.

I've just gotten GSN again, so watching these old Pyramids has been fun. I'm anxious to see the $100,000 tournament that will apparently air in two weeks. I haven't gone too far back on the posts here so as to avoid finding out who ends up winning it.

drjonah

drjonah

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 11:16 PM

but color me surprised by how great Lauri Hendler (known then for being on Gimme a Break) has been.

Laurie was an awesome game player. I remember an episode of Super Password where Bert Convy said she had the best winning percentage in the bonus game.

MelissaCross

MelissaCross

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2010 @ 1:06 AM

ITA about Laurie Hendler. Fun to watch.

Did anyone catch the blonde contestant (not sure of name) trying to get Jewish celebrity Richard Kline to say the clue word, "ham"?

Contestant "It's what you serve on Easter"

Kline - looks baffled. no response.

Contestant (tries again) - "I am going to bake a ..."

Kline (no response) - then time runs out.

Hee! Reminds me of my friend's facebook posting of a real sign at a grocery store that read "Hanukkah Special" right next to a discounted price on bone-in ham... so clueless!!! lol.

BX60

BX60

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 11:03 PM

I think Robert Mandan is maybe not quite as dumb, but just as bad a player as Crystal Bernard. Maybe he was too old, but I felt very sorry for the contestants paired with him.

river8101

river8101

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 29, 2010 @ 8:59 AM

I saw a new Pyramid come on the other night, it was horrible. Very loud, bright flikering lights, balloons and all the xtra's. I turned it off after 5 or 10 minutes. When the questions started, everything was so loud and bright and noisy! That's not my Pyramid. I'm very glad we are getting the $10,000 and $25,000 pyramid game again. I hope it stays on, and I happen to like Dick Clark very much. Sometimes though, I think they get terrible guest hosts, though most of the time they are pretty good. They had one host on a few weeks ago, who just kept moving and moving and moving in his seat when it was time to give or receive a clue. If I had been his partner, it would have been very distracting. He didn't do too well.

Edited by river8101, Jul 4, 2010 @ 9:49 AM.

river8101

river8101

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 11:36 AM

Soupy Sales? The pits. The quiz was to name operas, and for Carmen he sang "She'll be comin' around the mountain when she comes." How bad is that? He's not good on most words anyway.

Melissa Cross: Sorry to disappoint you, but Richard Kline isn't Jewish.

Edited by river8101, Jul 22, 2010 @ 11:37 AM.

caltrask55

caltrask55

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 3:57 PM

I have been DVR'ing all of GSN's airings of Pyramid for a year now. Worst players? Florence Henderson and Soupy Sales. They make Crystal Bernard look like the smartest player ever.

My favorite player is Charlie Sebert. I love him! And Levar Burton is a kick ass player as well.

I need a life.

GeneParmesan

GeneParmesan

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 24, 2010 @ 12:45 AM

While she's far from the worst celebrity to play the game, Mary Cadorette (sp?) has been having an awful week. Two days in a row she's blown a category in the winner's circle by using a word in the category.

Combine that with Soupy currently on the $100,000 version and there hasn't been a lot of winning lately. Man does he come off as clueless sometime.

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2010 @ 6:33 PM

Soupy was the most frequently appearing guest on the '70s Pyramid, which he seemed to be better at (or at least claimed to be). I agree that he was far weaker on the '80s version, probably a combination of age and slight changes in rules.

Robert Mandan has seemed okay in the episodes I've seen him on. He wasn't the best player, but he wasn't the worst. The best celebrity players had that special zip, the right way to perfectly nail the word or category--Barry Jenner stands out to me, although there are certainly numerous others. Pyramid had a crew of about ten or so upper tier players, then a tier of middle of the roaders, followed by some weak ones that didn't turn up a lot. Most of the frequently recurring celebrities were upper tier, although some were more erratic (Henry Polic II always gave you a competitive game, but he got tripped up when he made a mistake and isn't upper tier).

river8101

river8101

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2010 @ 12:11 PM

Sad to say they took off $100,000 Pyramid Game this week, and put on another show. Too bad. I really liked the Pyramid Game. Don't like the substitute. Soon all my favorites will be gone. Already most of them are gone. I know lots of people who used to enjoy Game Show, but no longer watch it because so many of the good shows have been taken off and replaced, and not for the better.

Edited by river8101, Oct 12, 2010 @ 7:34 AM.

GeneParmesan

GeneParmesan

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 5:11 PM

The $100,000 Pyramid episodes are still running on GSN at 2am EST. I don't know why they took away this one, but kept the $25,000 Pyramid airing in the morning, but that's GSN for you. If you have a DVR or VCR, you should still be able to enjoy these episodes.

Edited by GeneParmesan, Oct 26, 2010 @ 5:11 PM.

river8101

river8101

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:37 AM

I liked it when Pyramid was on all together. One hour of fun. I didn't know it was replaced at 2PM, but glad to hear about it.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2011 @ 8:47 PM

For the past several days, I've been on a Pyramid kick on YouTube(which is the only way I can watch it since my cable complany dropped GSN back in '05), and I came across an early $10,000 Pyramid episode with, shall we say, a very interesting Winner's Circle round.

Richard Deacon and Preston(the civilian)got through the first five categories quickly, and for the sixth, "Things You Wrap," Preston said, "Things you unwrap" and "Things in wrapping paper," but the judges accepted neither. After a commercial, it was decided that Richard and Preston would be given another subject with 12 seconds on the clock(the time remaining when "Things You Wrap" flipped over). The category was "Things At A Party," and Preston won the 10 grand.

I know that when there was doubt about whether an answer fit the category or beat the buzzer, the tape would be played back, but I never saw another incident when they were given a do-over with another category.

YouTube clip

Edited by smittykins, Feb 22, 2011 @ 8:48 PM.

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

Bumping this up for obvious reasons. Please make sure the discussion is on Pyramid, and not a general Dick Clark memorial. Thanks.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

About a year ago, I came across the final episode of "The $20,000 Pyramid" from 1980 on YouTube. This is Part 3, featuring the last Winner's Circle round(with Bill Cullen)and some joke categories that "we could have used if we wanted to save the money."

RIP, Dick.

Edited by smittykins, Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:47 PM.

Super Mateo

Super Mateo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

For me, Clark's version of this show is a mixed bag. I really can not stand the front game. Between the stupid clues given (like "not X, but..."), the inability to return to something that was passed on, and the general uselessness of the categories, it doesn't compel me at all. Oh, and it's impossible to play along with it. But then there's the Winners' Circle. This may be the best bonus round I've seen on any game show. The rules are strict, but fair. The subjects often are at just the right difficulty. The tension/drama builds perfectly as time decreases. There's no annoying background music.

RIP Dick Clark. I'll always remember how after a Winners' Circle loss, he'd say something similar to, "I have the perfect clue," like the contestant wants to keep guessing after he/she knows they didn't win. It was always funny how blunt he was with people, too.

Wicked Wonder

Wicked Wonder

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 12:26 AM

About a year ago, I came across the final episode of "The $20,000 Pyramid" from 1980 on YouTube.

I watched the whole episode, and to me, it's why I loved Dick as a host- he's affable, helpful (tells the woman to read the word again because she obviously misread it) and playful in a way that he didn't show too often. I'm on the side that likes when Dick gives the extra help, just because I'd want to know if I could've gotten it, if only I'd heard the right prompt.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

Did anyone else catch Paul Feig as a contestant on one of Friday's episodes?

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

I didn't. How cool. I just googled that. He used the money to finance his stand-up run.

Was he funny on the show?

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

It was odd, peeayebee, in that he was so...normal. A serious, very good player. He must have been in USC or recently graduated,and he described himself as a cartoonist who did little one-panel things at school.

Funniest part was he was trying to get Bill Cullen to guess places where you might find romance. "Ranch" came up.

PF; oh,and this where cowboys find love.
BC: um, out in the west, on the plains...
PF: it's also a type of salad dressing.
BC: OH! Thousand Island!

He got to the end game twice (no $10,000 though), so he comes back at least once more. Unfortunately, GSN doesn't run the show in chronological order on the weekends, so who knows when he'll pop back up.
:(

Edited by stinkymcgee, Jun 18, 2012 @ 9:34 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

I saw a screen grab on his twitter - what a haircut!

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

Feig alert! GSN ran his second appearance this morning, which will be re-run in the early morning hours tomorrow if anyone wants to record it. He was more relaxed and a bit goofy in the second show, and he mentioned starting to get into stand-up.

Oh, and as braggtastic said, what a haircut! It's worth tuning in just to see Paul Feig in a blond flat-top.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Thanks. I'll set up my DVR.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

It was so great to see Paul Feig as a contestant! It was like having three celebrities. Bill Cullen was a good player & seemed like such a nice man. He reminds me of my old relatives from Pittsburgh. I think he used to have a show with little kids on it.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 7:05 AM

I'm with you, braggtastic -- Bill Cullen is one of my very favorite game show players and hosts. He can make any game more fun to watch.

Paul is really on a roll... his fourth appearance will be aired this morning, and he's up to about $30K. TiVo is at the ready!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

I've always been a Bill Cullen fan, too. When I was little we had the board game for Eye Guess with his face on the box. Anyway, he did seem like a really nice guy.

Paul Feig was a dapper dresser back then, too. They kept saying he was a cartoonist. Did he drop that after getting into stand-up?

Does each contestant stay for 5 days?

BTW, in the last winner's circle, Bill Cullen was giving the clues for Things That Are Removed, and he got buzzed on "A mistake from a page." I always get confused as to what's allowed. I figure he could have said "A mistyped word," though I don't think that's a good clue.