Give or Receive: The $XXX,000 Pyramid

• Please log in to reply

270 replies to this topic

myke25

myke25

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 11:16 AM

I just downloaded a $25K video clip from a Game Show Fan site of a civilian giving clues to Tom Poston in the WC...they scored ZERO. The civilian was giving lousy clues and Poston looked absolutely lost. The civilian was getting frustrated and pissed. I felt embarrassed for them...the audience was like silent when the buzzer mercifully sounded. GOD! I miss this show!

BenjyDiMera

BenjyDiMera

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2006 @ 1:50 PM

I watched this one episode recently with Jamie Farr as one of the “celebrities”. His partner was a woman wearing the most godawful turquoise pant suit ever created with a giant grapefruit scarf tied around her waist and big Sally Jesse Raphael glasses (granted, it was, like, 1986). It was really interesting because, at one point, she and Jamie had gotten 7 out of 7 and she clearly wanted to share this moment with him about it and he just turned away from her and stared at Dick Clark. She has this big smile on her face that quickly faded away once he’d turned his back on her and then she did this weird head move like she was a little insulted. It was kind of embarrassing. Then, they won the round and were on their way to the WC. He let her go first but then she realized that she’d forgotten her lucky charm so she tried to double-back to get back to her seat, however, Jamie had his hand on her arm. In DVR slo-mo, it looks like she’s trying to pull herself away from him but he won’t let go of her.

The drama didn’t stop there.

Once they started the Bonus Round in the WC, she zipped through the first five pyramid blocks and had 35 seconds to complete the final block. Jamie Farr got completely stuck on how to describe the puzzle: “Things that are Hypenated”. He gave her one clue (I can’t remember what it was) and just kept repeating it over and over again. It was infuriating. With one second left on the clock she somehow, miraculously, pulled from literally out of nowhere, “Things With a Hyphen” and won it. It was totally bizarre.

Edited by BenjyDiMera, Feb 24, 2006 @ 3:07 PM.

yes please

yes please

Posted Feb 25, 2006 @ 4:32 PM

I absolutely adore the old bit (must be from the '70s) with William Shatner by himself in the Winner's Circle, "giving" the clues and then switching chairs to "receive" them, and "dramatically" getting the final clue right to "win" with just one second left. Always cracks me up. Wonder if they ever re-run that one? (Or better yet, if it's online somewhere I can dl it.)

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2006 @ 11:21 AM

Was this in response to the infamous Shatner moment when he threw a chair after getting zinged in the Winner's Circle?

scarletsmith

scarletsmith

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2006 @ 6:44 PM

I adored the Shatner-plays-both-chairs "WC" bit they did. IIRC, they promised Shatner some $$ for charity if he could get through the WC without giving an illegal clue in 30 seconds. He did it, and it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen on TV. To this day, thinking about it puts a smile on my face.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 8:45 PM

I absolutely adore the old bit (must be from the '70s) with William Shatner by himself in the Winner's Circle, "giving" the clues and then switching chairs to "receive" them, and "dramatically" getting the final clue right to "win" with just one second left. Always cracks me up. Wonder if they ever re-run that one? (Or better yet, if it's online somewhere I can dl it.)

Ask and ye shall recieve.

It's there somewhere.

yes please

yes please

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 2:26 PM

Belated thanks to Dbrain2004 (that's what I get for not checking this thread more often). Funny as heck, and I'd forgotten that a) Shatner was a perennial foul-up and b) he doesn't win, the clock runs out while he's at the last clue. Love Clark's laughing "You're hopeless!" That's a keeper, baby. :)

BenjyDiMera

BenjyDiMera

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 9:25 PM

[rant] I just had to chime in again to say that Jamie Farr was the worst celebrity guest on this show in, well, ever. He constantly fucked up contestants' chances in the winning circle by breaking the rules. He kept repeating the same clue over and over again, even though the person was clearly not on his wave-length. If someone is not picking up on your clue, move on. There's a better chance that they'll guess it if they are forced to make a connection between two seemingly incongruous things (i.e. a rose, a brain...Things with a Stem!). He's not funny, he's hideous to look at and I just can't stand watching him on this show. Jamie Farr, you suck ass. [/rant]

Edited by BenjyDiMera, Apr 6, 2006 @ 5:17 PM.

terripee

terripee

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2006 @ 8:48 PM

Just chiming in to say that this was my all-time favorite game show. I always wanted to play with Tony Randall or Dick Cavett. I also remember reruns on GSN about 5 years ago with Mel Harris (from "thirtysomething" and bad made-for-TV movies) as a 5-time champion.
Fun!

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2006 @ 7:22 PM

I saw those Mel Harris episodes -- on USA reruns maybe 10 years ago! (Word went out fast on the thirtysomething newsgroup.) She was using the name Mel Kennerly (her third husband -- she's now on marriage #5), and she wasn't identified as an actress, just a wife and mother. They seemed to have some sort of policy against crossing the line by letting actors be civilian contestants, so sometimes people found secondary "professions." (I once saw a former classmate, a fairly successful actor named Brian Farrell, turn up as a contestant, and he said he was a lyricist -- no doubt he was, as a hobby.) Mel did very well indeed, smart and quick, and she kind of gave away her real interest when she clued the word "union" by telling Markie Post "SAG is a..." (Markie got it instantly).

Edited by Rinaldo, May 7, 2006 @ 8:17 PM.

myke25

myke25

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2006 @ 12:00 PM

I remember many moons ago on a $20K episode, Dick Clark was talking to Lynn Redgrave about the two of them traveling to Australia to do a guest shot on the Aussie version called The $5,000 Pyramid. Does anyone know anything about it? I didn't see any reference to it ever existing on the Australian Game Show site.

Worleybird

Worleybird

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 7:03 PM

Worst celebrity evah? Jimmy J.J. Walker. Never ever made it to the winner's circle. Didn't even get close, and NEVER asked back.

myke25

myke25

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 2:01 PM

The two worst celebrities to make it to the Winner's Circle IMO: Kaye Ballard (four straight illegal clues) and Jerry Stiller (just never caught on to the different rules in the WC)

myke25

myke25

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2006 @ 2:36 PM

From Buzzer: The Game Show Blog:

"The $100,000 Pyramid" DVD Game: Beware

Out of nowhere, MGA has released a "$100,000 Pyramid" DVD game. If you're looking for something similar to the TV show, you will be sadly mistaken. The "set" looks like something out of Millionaire (Although the graphics are extremely nice), and the music is Millionaire-like as well. Gameplay is really different from the 80s version, or even the 2002 Osmond version.

You get six categories, and you can only pick off the bottom row first. Just try to get words at $2,000 a piece. You just move up a row each time. After all 6 categories are done, each team plays the Winners Circle. Bottom 3 items are $6,000 each. Middle 2 are $10,000. The top one is $20,000. Whoever has the most money at the end of the game wins. The end. Nothing else.

OK, before I talk more about errors with it, can I honestly ask why the hell you wouldn't use the classic format? Is it THAT hard to adapt into DVD. Just a warning: if you like the classic show and buy this, don't expect the classic show. A YouTube clip will be posted below.

This is also coming from John Ricci. He apparently found a disc that has no questions on it. Just the basic elements. Even more, he called MGA's 1800 number, and they didn't even know they made the game. Just be careful, people. Look for this game, if you dare, at a store near you.

There are clips from the game on YouTube and they look good, but I agree, why can't anyone make a Pyramid home game that plays like the show? I have just about every home game that's come out and none of them play exactly like the show. The old Milton Bradley games had a different end game...The CD-ROM game from Sierra that came out a few years ago comes really close and has great graphics. What's the deal?

Leaper

Leaper

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2006 @ 12:46 AM

On the other end of the spectrum from a lot of the recent posts, I just saw on the TV Guide Channel's "25 Things You Didn't Know About... (Game Shows)" a clip of Billy Crystal's record-setting WC round, getting the contestant through all six categories in 24 seconds.

I dunno if the categories were just easy that day or if one or both of them were just on the ball or what, but practically the first guess out of the contestant's mouth each time was the right answer. Pretty amazing.

myke25

myke25

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 4:12 PM

A friend of mine just got me the one edition of the $10,000 Pyramid Home Game that I didn't already have at GenCon. Now my life is complete.

myke25

myke25

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 14, 2006 @ 10:24 AM

Post #44
From Buzzer: The Game Show Blog:

"The $100,000 Pyramid" DVD Game: Beware

Out of nowhere, MGA has released a "$100,000 Pyramid" DVD game. If you're looking for something similar to the TV show, you will be sadly mistaken. The "set" looks like something out of Millionaire (Although the graphics are extremely nice), and the music is Millionaire-like as well. Gameplay is really different from the 80s version, or even the 2002 Osmond version.

You get six categories, and you can only pick off the bottom row first. Just try to get words at $2,000 a piece. You just move up a row each time. After all 6 categories are done, each team plays the Winners Circle. Bottom 3 items are $6,000 each. Middle 2 are $10,000. The top one is $20,000. Whoever has the most money at the end of the game wins. The end. Nothing else.

OK, before I talk more about errors with it, can I honestly ask why the hell you wouldn't use the classic format? Is it THAT hard to adapt into DVD. Just a warning: if you like the classic show and buy this, don't expect the classic show. A YouTube clip will be posted below.

This is also coming from John Ricci. He apparently found a disc that has no questions on it. Just the basic elements. Even more, he called MGA's 1800 number, and they didn't even know they made the game. Just be careful, people. Look for this game, if you dare, at a store near you.

I just saw a commercial for this game on GSN.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2006 @ 3:55 PM

I just saw a commercial for this game on GSN.

I did, too - and checked out the clip Youtube.

My GOD, it was absolutely pitiful. It was barely recognizable as a Pyramid game, even the Donny Osmond hosted one.

On the other end of the spectrum from a lot of the recent posts, I just saw on the TV Guide Channel's "25 Things You Didn't Know About... (Game Shows)" a clip of Billy Crystal's record-setting WC round, getting the contestant through all six categories in 24 seconds.

I dunno if the categories were just easy that day or if one or both of them were just on the ball or what, but practically the first guess out of the contestant's mouth each time was the right answer. Pretty amazing.

To see how easy the record win was, I ended up checking out that clip on Youtube as well. The categories were:

Exercises (Pushups)
Lines from "Shakespeare" (To be or not to be...)
Generals (Patton)
Numbers or Figures (8)
Things in a Barrel (Monkeys...)
Things that Wilt (Old Flowers...)

With the exception of #5 (I will NEVER figure out how the hell she got "Things in a Barrel" just from the word 'Monkeys'), IMO, the Winner's Circle does look a little easy that day.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2006 @ 9:56 AM

Numbers or figures as the fourth category? How could anybody screw that one up?

Celeb: Eight
Contestant: Things I did at a restaurant.
Celeb: Four
Contestant: Things you yell at a golf course.
Celeb: Nine
Contestant: Ways to say "no" in a foreign language.

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2006 @ 2:51 PM

It is fairly easy, but I can see how it was designed.

Okay, the first is a gimmie. The next two can be easy or hard, depending how attuned a particular person is into Shakespeare or history--yeah, Shakespeare seems easy, but I've seen easier categories turn into "um, um, um" fests if the receiver doesn't recognize the first clue. Numbers is another gimmie, designed to give the players a fighting chance before what should, in effect, be a really difficult clue. I have no idea how she got things in a barrel on just monkeys without hearing something else like fish. The final one is that pesky Pyramid category of one obvious clue and not much else.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2006 @ 3:28 PM

So I watched the video and it's actually "Shapes or Figures," not Numbers. But still--shapes? Easy peasy.

TiggerMom

TiggerMom

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 9:07 AM

I was a contestant on the Donny version, and I was cracking up reading the early thread comments regarding Lenny Krayzelburg. He was one of the celebs when I was on. (Picabo Street was the other). My opponent (Jeremy Soria) and I both had a horrible time with Lenny, and flew through everything with Picabo. Picabo got us both to the WC and we both won $10K. Poor Jeremy had a worse time with Lenny, though... he had one category that was things relating to horse racing, and Jeremy was giving (great clues, too), and Lenny didn't get a single one. Very frustrating. I remember I was trying to get Lenny to get "ice", I said "frozen water", to which he responded "a pond". That was my first clue to give during the entire taping, and it shocked me so much I think I wasted a second or two with my mouth hanging open thinking "seriously? seriously????"

eyechart

eyechart

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 2:16 PM

Glad you managed to win considering Lenny's language problems; although he managed to give clues well, he probably hasn't had much experience of people trying to explain things to him. With "ice", he was probably relating a frozen pond where he skated or played hockey on. Besides, I'd probably be too busy looking at his gorgeous face to give answers. That man brings a six-pack of pretty, along with his six-pack.

On the other hand, Shelley Morrison and Estelle Harris had no such excuse. Two of the worst players I ever saw on the second version. Just...ugh. And that goes for the second version; trying to make it "hipper" doesn't make it better. Match Game, Press Your Luck, I've Got a Secret...the list goes on.

TiggerMom

TiggerMom

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 2:58 PM

That man brings a six-pack of pretty, along with his six-pack.

Oh yes, this much is true...

lw394

lw394

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2007 @ 5:29 PM

I thought I'd just pop in here to say that I was a contestant on "The $20,000 Pyramid" in 1979.

I had two sets of celebrities because I was on a Friday show and a Monday show. First I played with Nipsey Russell and Rita Moreno, and then with Elaine Joyce and Clifton Davis.

I got to the Winner's Circle with Elaine Joyce and won $15,000.

I don't have cable, but for those that do -- are episodes from that era ever re-run on GSN?

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2007 @ 5:45 PM

Yes, they definitely are. Any thing in particular you remember about Rita Moreno as a person? She was always one of my favorites.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2007 @ 10:44 PM

I watched this one episode recently with Jamie Farr as one of the “celebrities”. His partner was a woman wearing the most godawful turquoise pant suit ever created with a giant grapefruit scarf tied around her waist and big Sally Jesse Raphael glasses (granted, it was, like, 1986). It was really interesting because, at one point, she and Jamie had gotten 7 out of 7 and she clearly wanted to share this moment with him about it and he just turned away from her and stared at Dick Clark. She has this big smile on her face that quickly faded away once he’d turned his back on her and then she did this weird head move like she was a little insulted. It was kind of embarrassing. Then, they won the round and were on their way to the WC. He let her go first but then she realized that she’d forgotten her lucky charm so she tried to double-back to get back to her seat, however, Jamie had his hand on her arm. In DVR slo-mo, it looks like she’s trying to pull herself away from him but he won’t let go of her.

I watched the clip of this, but don't see what you're talking about. How she pulled the final answer though is a complete mystery.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2007 @ 12:03 AM

Actually, the tiebreaker isn't on Youtube, but that particular Winner's Circle was mentioned immediately following that paragraph.

The drama didn’t stop there.

Once they started the Bonus Round in the WC, she zipped through the first five pyramid blocks and had 35 seconds to complete the final block. Jamie Farr got completely stuck on how to describe the puzzle: “Things that are Hypenated”. He gave her one clue (I can’t remember what it was) and just kept repeating it over and over again. It was infuriating. With one second left on the clock she somehow, miraculously, pulled from literally out of nowhere, “Things With a Hyphen” and won it. It was totally bizarre.

In defense of Jamie Farr, the final subject, "Words with a Hyphen" seemed EXTREMELY difficult. I couldn't come up with anything within those 25-30 seconds that were left. How that woman came up with it at the very last second is beyond me.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2007 @ 6:57 PM

Actually, the tiebreaker isn't on Youtube, but that particular Winner's Circle was mentioned immediately following that paragraph.

I stand corrected. I wish youtube had the Billy Crystal clip though.

lw394

lw394

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2007 @ 2:19 PM

iMissEthan, you asked if there was anything in particular I remember about Rita Moreno (who was one of the celebrity players when I was on the "Pyramid.")

She was very nice. At the time of the taping, she was doing a club act in New York, and somehow that was mentioned. I forget if Dick Clark mentioned it on the air, or if it was something that came up during a commercial break.

Anyway ... she invited both myself and the other contestant to come to see her act -- which we did. And then we saw her afterwards in her dressing room.

She is such a talented woman, and if her manner towards us both on the show and at her club act is an indicator, a very nice one, too!

Edited by lw394, Mar 13, 2007 @ 2:21 PM.