Local News Broadcasts

• Please log in to reply

775 replies to this topic

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

This isn't my local news, but still kind of on topic. I was watching a segment of the local news in Pittsburgh (I think) about a hoarder that died in her hoard. I watched the clip about 2 or 3 times. Not for the story. But for the reporter in the field. How refreshing it was to hear a mature, educated, well spoken man who can actually put together a coherent sentence. It's so much nicer than listening to the little girl, high pitched, squeaky voice, stumble over/misuse/mispronounce incoherent sentence reporters we have here.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Greg Kelly is very funny & he always makes me laugh. He even makes Rosanna Scotto respectable & tolerable. Compare to Ernie Anastos, Greg Kelly is very likable & classy.

Can't stand him. Before anything comes out of his mouth, my mind screams in his voice: 'Because my daddy (Police Commissioner Ray Kelly) said so!' I know he enjoyed putting in his two cents about the OWS protesters because it was like he got all of his talking points from daddy. And I have the feeling that he is not nearly as affable as he (quite unsuccessfully) tries to make himself to be when those cameras go off. This is my opinion, of course.

I find him smug also. Wonder if he's been taken down a peg or 2 because of the rape allegations (no charges were filed).

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

I find him smug also. Wonder if he's been taken down a peg or 2 because of the rape allegations (no charges were filed).

Nope. He's still being his usual funny self.

As for NBC 4 in New York, as if there is another reason to not watch them anymore (except for Janice Huff doing weather), I'm very sad to find out today that Sue Simmons has been let go from NBC 4. She will be gone in June.

NY Post - NBC 4 booting Sue Simmons

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

I have been watching Sue Simmons & Chuck Scarborough since each started on channel 4. I'm absolutely floored they are firing Sue. She is a brilliant anchorwoman, & the team of Chuck & Sue has ruled the NY local news for over 3 decades- unheard of in the biz. They have been purging all of their talent for the past few years, & CBS channel 2 has been picking them up left & right- Rob Morrison, Otis Livingston, Asa Aarons, Carolyn Gusoff, & the spectacular Maurice DuBois. I switched to channel 2 when NBC gave up the Live at 5 show, & haven't looked back. NBC NY news is a pale shadow of what it once was, & it is sad.

I will miss Sue Simmons, & would love to see channel 2 pick her up as well, though at her age & what I would assume huge contract price, that is doubtful.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Chuck and Sue are the same age and Chuck just got a 3 year deal-----what's up with that???!!!
That absolutely stinks.
I've watched them both from the beginning of Live at Five.

Wonder if Chuck made a fuss.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

I haven't watched WNBC local news in over a decade (NY1 is my go to now for local), but it was comforting to know Sue and Chuck were still there. I remember Sue and Jack Cafferty doing Live at Five with Al Rocker doing weather & Marv Albert doing sports back when I was in high school. There was a looseness that appealed to me as a teenager, and on rare occasions when David Letterman interrupted their live broadcast for some delightfully juvenile nonsense, so much the better. Letterman's Late Night show taped across the hall. Sue would co-host Live at Five with Cafferty and 6:00 news with Chuck. She was stunningly beautiful, but messed up a lot. I know at one point when Howard Stern was still on WNBC radio, he would place bets with his crew as to how many flubs she would have on the air that day.

But she improved and became an institution. I'm sorry she's not leaving on her own terms.

Miss Kira

Miss Kira

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

No more Sue Simmons? Wow. I was a kid when she started (about a year and a half before I left NYC).

The old talent gets dumped for young idiots. It happens all the time. I can't believe some of the dummies on WRC in D.C.! I'm dreading the day when they let Jim Vance and Doreen Gentzler go.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

Chuck and Sue are the same age and Chuck just got a 3 year deal-----what's up with that???!!!

The TV news business and its desire to hustle "women of a certain age" out the door is up with that, I suspect. Nothing new in that business.

I don't think that announcement of someone who passed should be "Guess Who Died?"

This made me laugh. Not in good taste, but funny, nonetheless.

As for our local news, the biggest recent story was one of our long-time anchor women resigning after getting busted for shoplifting at the mall. This was one "woman of a certain age" who decided to help the industry along, I guess.

(It cracked me up to see Google auto-complete the word "shoplifting" after I typed in "Martha Vazquez Tucson".)

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

NY Daily News - Sue Simmons last day & tribute

Last night was Sue Simmons last newscast on NBC 4 & she was her usual classy self. WNBC will most definitely miss her. Hopefully, Janice Huff & Chuck Scarborough will find a way to get away from that sinking ship. There is no reason to even watch NBC 4 News anymore now except for them.

Frankly, except for Janice Huff, Chuck Scarborough, Lonnie Edwards (CBS 2 weather), & Sam Champion (ABC 7 weather), pretty much all of the nightly news on New York are terrible. Now, I get my local news for Good Day New York (except for when that idiot Steve Lacy is on for Greg Kelly).

Edited by Magog, Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:25 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

I recorded NBC 4's 11pm broadcast to see Sue's farewell. I guess there wasn't a whole lot of news in NYC yesterday bigger than Sue's departure. I admit I haven't watched a local newscast besides NY1 in years, more than a decade. But I remember Sue fondly from my childhood & Live at Five was a fun way to be introduced to the news. I think at one point Sue was co-anchoring the 5, 6 & 11pm broadcasts. It was fun to see the old clips, and I love that they showed her infamous 'the fuck are you looking at?' clip as part of her tribute. Sue said she was looking for another job, perhaps a once a week show. I wish her good luck. I bet NY1 would give her a weekly show, but no way would she take that big a salary cut.

Edited by braggtastic, Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:31 AM.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Nice send off for Sue, though they did cut her short at the end. Chuck & Janice need to abandon ship- NBC news is a joke now. CBS was very smart to scoop up the NBC staffers that were fired. Maybe Sue can go there!

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 8:14 PM

The anchor and meteorolgist who really don't like each other

cynicat x

cynicat x

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 4:45 PM

Wow, that's my local newscast and I watch it every morning.  Those cliips give me incentive to wake up early on the weekends to watch those two go at it.  I can totally see Nicole Brewer being that much of a bitch.  Carol Erickson has always seemed pretty classy to me but one never knows, I guess.  Either way, I watch for Ukee.  He rocks.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 6:16 PM

I saw that clip and it just seemed to me the anchor was trying to be funny and witty, but it just didn't come across that way. The weather lady seemed to be playing along. Unfortunately, the anchor is younger and more attractive, so she comes off as a bitch. I think they just need to work on their back and forth routine.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 6:48 PM

I saw that clip and it just seemed to me the anchor was trying to be funny and witty, but it just didn't come across that way. The weather lady seemed to be playing along.

I read somewhere the two of them do get along, the clips are just misinterpreted and poorly done banter.  Don't know how true that is.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 10:22 AM

I'm furious with 3TV out of Phoenix. They just reported that there were "violent protests" in Los Angeles over the Trayvon Martin verdict without any context or actual reporting. They didn't mention that the violence was police-on-citizen violence and that while the protestors were breaking the law by blocking streets and freeways, they were not behaving violently. The police were the ones being violent, firing rubber bullets and hitting people with batons. 

This just seems very irresponsible to me, especially in a place like Phoenix where there are so many racists already. 

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 7:06 AM

It's going to take a long time for me to stop being amused by the chain of incompetency that led to the KTVU news report about the names of the pilots on the Asiana flight that crash landed.

First, how did not even ONE person look at that list of names and say, Hey, wait a minute...

Second, the intern at the NTSB who "confirmed" the list of names is my hero. He or she must have thought it was a prank call and just said, "Captain Wi Tu Lo?  Sure, that's correct."

Landsnarkk

Landsnarkk

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 8:19 AM

That local Philadelphia news anchor must have gone to the Mika Brzezinski school of broadcasting. 

arejay

arejay

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 16, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

First, how did not even ONE person look at that list of names and say, Hey, wait a minute...

Honestly, who has not heard that 'Sum Ting Wong'  joke?

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 8:05 PM

Ho Lee Fuk. Seriously, not one person at the station got THAT one??

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

I'm sorry, but that one just makes me laugh my butt off...

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

Did you guys know that today is the 25th anniversary of the start of Good Day New York on FOX 5? They did a tribute of it this morning & it was very entertaining to watch. I also didn't realize that Greg Kelly & Rosana Scotto have been together on Good Day New York for 5 yrs. It is more entertaining to watch now than it was 10-15 yrs ago. At least, I didn't have to deal with Penny Crone on there anymore. Even Rosana Scotto is more likable than her.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

I'm so fed up. Our Denver NBC affiliate, KUSA aka 9News, is inundating viewers on all its news shows with endless, pointless, excruciatingly boring segments called "The Road to Sochi". This nonsense began a few months ago and now the "RTS" segments are popping up almost every day. 

For those who don't know, perhaps because their local TV station hasn't crammed the news down viewers' throats, the Winter Olympics will be held in Sochi, Russia. Covered by NBC. And it's still two months away!

I don't care about the Winter Olympics. And I'm getting downright hostile to it, thanks to this over-promotion by our NBC affiliate. They've blathered about the town, the preparations, every obscure unknown athlete they can shove a camera at, and I recall one segment about a heap of snow the Russians had somehow stored from last winter for winter 2014. Yes. A big pile of snow. I wish I were kidding about that. 

Is every NBC affiliate in the nation wallowing so deeply in this shameless promotional pit for the Olympics? Or are we just extra-unlucky here in Denver?

Edited by Suz at Large, Dec 3, 2013 @ 5:01 PM.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 1:13 AM

NY NBC fans - Sue Simmons was the guest bartender on WWHL last week.  Still the same Sue that I remember watching as a child.  Sue, Chuck, Tony Guida, Jack Cafferty... Kaity Tong is on PIX still I think.  She's been around forever too.

merroni

merroni

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2014 @ 9:48 AM

Please someone  tell me why people have to stand outside in freezing weather to report the news

when they have a nice warm studio to work in?  I'm talking about you WXIA Atlanta!!!!

lazy girl

lazy girl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 12:53 PM

We have that too. The weather garden, complete with a big, ole ugly redwood-framed greenscreen for the weather map. It reminds me so much of those redwood decks that were popular in the 1970s. When it rains, the meteorologists stand under a big umbrella which blocks the screen, so the times when it's most important to see the radar, you can't. I hate this stupid trend. It also means the screen is smaller than it needs to be, because they have to keep the redwood frame, and the surrounding plants in the shot, rather than just a studio screen consisting only of weatherman + map.