And Ah-one, Ah-two: The Lawrence Welk Show

• Please log in to reply

5147 replies to this topic

k2p2

k2p2

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

I've been watching with interest the discussion about the relative merits of the Tappin' Trio, so I paid special attention to them last night. I agree with whoever it was, upthread, who said that the big difference among the three is the flamboyance of their arm movements. I didn't detect any deficiencies in anyone's footwork.

Bobby is uber flamboyant, to the point that it distracts from the other two. Yes, Art could crank it up a notch in the interests of ensemble, but Bobby is equally guilty of not reigning in his exuberance. And Jack? I didn't even notice him, I was so mesmerized by BB's flailing. Well, at least Bobby did penance, Watusi-style, in that dreadful Tijuana number.

I liked the opening number (though not enough to see it twice), and wondered what was so offensive about "keep giving each brother all you can" that caused them to change it to "each NEIGHBOR". I also dug the accordion trio, Maple Leaf Rag, the Geritol shout out, and Joann's Mardi Gras costume, complete with shiny bloomers. I took my evening constitutional during Norma and Jimmy's duet, but listened to Joe's song, mostly because I was trying to Google the lyrics and find out what the song was.

juanruiz

juanruiz

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

I thought it was pretty good show. Next to no abridging of songs, except "Jumbalaya," where the second verse was omitted and the first repeated. I counted 21 pieces. Frank took the Joplin rag way too fast.

John C

John C

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

BX, I will indeed enjoy that 1956 episode, even though the Welk show didn't really hit its stride until Arthur Duncan joined the ensemble. As for Feeney's absence, he was probably off somewhere procreating.

MikeO

MikeO

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Welk show didn't really hit its stride until Arthur Duncan joined the ensemble.

Surely, you jest.

(Yeah, I know: "Stop calling me Shirley!")

;-)

John C

John C

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Mike, I have vowed to champion Art Duncan, who sometimes is given short shrift in these precincts. I intend to give him long shrift.

MikeO

MikeO

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

I intend to give him long shrift.

I have nothing at all against Art; guess I just don't appreciate dance -- especially tap. I've admired the grace and elegance of Astaire and the ballet/athleticism of Kelly. But, straight "tap" leaves me cold. It's the same thing over and over.

Since the discussion on which of the Welksters was the "best dancer," I've paid special attention. Can't say I see much difference..... They all look like they're having epileptic fits to me.
_

John C

John C

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

Eh, to tell you the truth, Mike, I'm not really that crazy about Duncan myself. I just got caught up in Black History Month.

MikeO

MikeO

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 5:18 AM

I just got caught up in Black History Month.

Art is Black ?
_

bigdave5472

bigdave5472

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

A few interesting moments, though. Unless I was hearing things, when Ralna started singing "Have I told you lately that I love you?" I could swear Guy muttered "No, not really." Someone who recorded it, please tell me I heard it. At any rate, it's getting quite difficult to watch them now, having discovered their true feelings for each other. I wish just once they'd give each other the fish eye or something, the phoney bastards.

It is called "acting". These people are entertainers---A.P. and Sara Carter did it, Lucy and Desi did it, Sonny and Cher did it, and many other entertainers have done it.

John C

John C

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

I know it's "acting." It just "makes me sick."

BX60

BX60

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

It's begathon time here in San Antonio, again. I will be missing the shows for at least the next two weeks. It doesn't look like I'll be missing much, except for the March 17 show, which I may have seen before. They better not be shaking us down for cash for the Mothers Day Black and White show.

juanruiz

juanruiz

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

A not bad tribute to New York City. The band showed again what it could do.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

This was the first one I've been able to watch in two years, since I just got an antenna. My jaw dropped during "Put Your Shoes On, Lucy" when it turned into "Pull Your Dress Down, Mary Lou"... anybody else catch that upskirt view when she was sitting on the bench with Jack Imel?

John C

John C

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

See what you miss when you fast-forward?

Anyway, I give this show a C. What pulled it up from certain doom was Paul Humphries' turn in "Take the A Train" and Art Duncan's routine, which was actually pretty good this week. I saw a couple moves I hadn't seen before. He even did the "windmill" move -- to no audience reaction! There was mild entertainment in watching Tomboy Tom sing "I'll Take Manhattan," but all the while I was thinking "No, Tom, Manhattan will take you. From behind!" Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I admit to some small shock when Bobby started prancing -- in his green suit I thought he was the Riddler. Ostensibly the pair was prancing in Central Park; having lived in NYC, I can attest that Bobby wouldn't have left the park in one piece. Regarding the Hooper-led quartet singing "Cab Driver," this showcase of inept lip-syncing never had a chance against the Mills Brothers' classic version. And the less said about the Feeney-Floren version of "Give My Regards to B'way" the better.

The Seamonster Sisters' performance, as usual, failed to entertain me, but I did entertain some impure thoughts during their number. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Wait a minute, there is something wrong with that.

Edited by John C, Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:32 AM.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

The Seamonster Sisters' performance

Oh yeah... I should also mention that when they appeared, my immediate thought was "Crap, I haven't seen a LW show in two years and it ends up being one with THEM in it??"

Knuckles491

Knuckles491

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

Hello out there in TV land. I've been an avid watcher of Lawrence Welk since the 50's. I have so many questions for you. 1. A few years ago there was an episode, hosted by Myron Floren, which was a salute to the big bands. In this episode, Dave Edwards insults Henry Cuesta on the air. Henry mispronounced Dave's hometown (I forget what it was) and Dave lit into him. "Can't you even pronounce it right?" he said, or something like that. 2. Did anyone notice a little while ago when Guy and Ralna were singing, I think, "I Write the Songs" that she looked at him with such disgust, seemed to mumble something to him, and the stood about 6 feet apart from each other? She never cracked a smile. 3. In all the years I watched, I never realized Norma Zimmer was lip-synching. Now I'm aware of it. She has to be the best lip syncher ever. Although, she does mess up now and then. It's funny, when she sings with Jimmy Roberts, it sounds like he's singing live, and she's not. 3. Does anybody out there hate the way Bob Ralston follows and hangs onto every note that Joe Feeney sings? Bob wants us to know that he's a great accompanist, so he shows us that he's following the singer's every little nuance. This, I believe, just calls attention to the accompanist. I much prefer Bob's laid back accompaniment. I have more questions and comments, but I think I'll stop here. (Still laughing about the reference to the surgery gone wrong in "With a Schlong in my Heart")

BX60

BX60

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

Welkcome, Knuckles491! I never heard Dave Edwards speak, let alonei nsult Henry Cuesta. Was this the Big Band Special that was hosted by Myron, Henry, and Barney Liddell?

I have seen Guy and Ralna look into each other's eyes with love, and contempt. I would imagine she was very moody, and hard to work with, and especially live with.

I don't think Norma ever sang live. She was definitely the best lip syncher. Too bad she didn't instruct Larry Hooper on the art of lip synching.

Bob Ralston was just thinking of the nine Feeney kids while accompanying Joe. He was probably schmoozing up to Joe, so Joe might ask him to babysit sometime.

k2p2

k2p2

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

Knuckles, is this the Guy & Ralna song you are thinking of?
I Write The Songs
I had not seen that one, and I found it to be both weird and oddly compelling. Sadly, what has been seen cannot be unseen, and I will have to live with the memory of Guy gyrating through the bridge. Ralna was great, though.

Knuckles491

Knuckles491

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

Yes, k2p2, that's the song. She was annoyed with him, allright. The episode where Dave insults Henry Cuesta was hosted by Myron Floren. Some years ago, the shows were hosted by a different person each week. Myron F. hosted twice, once with a salute to the big bands, and one was a military theme. His eyes filled up with tears in both shows. In the big band show, each performer introduced the others in his group. Henry was introducing all the wind players, and he coudn't pronounce Tuskeegee, I think. I saw this episode twice, and haven't seen it for about 5 years or more.

John C

John C

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

Nuts! This week our local station is in begging mode, with a Big Band program, probably the one with Peter Marshall and Nick Clooney. It was entertaining the first three or four times I saw it. (Actually, the Guy Lombardo section was pretty good, with the fruity dancers and the tuba player.) I don't know how I will entertain myself tonight. Check the police log Monday morning.

MikeO

MikeO

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

Nuts! This week our local station is in begging mode, with a Big Band program, probably the one with Peter Marshall and Nick Clooney.

First of all, never say "Nuts" in front of Tom Netherton. It gets him all atwitter.

Secondly, this show played in my area last week. It was the one with Doc Severinsen as host.

I changed the channel as soon as the begging started.

PS- If you're looking for some way to entertain yourself tonight, off hand, I'm sure Tom could give you some suggestions.....

;-)

juanruiz

juanruiz

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

I like the Marshall show. Except it ticks me off that they always cut off the Miller "Chattanooga Choochoo" before the Nicholas Brothers and Dorothy Dandridge perform. Maybe they're afraid LW viewers will see how much better they danced than Arthur.

juanruiz

juanruiz

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

Oh, FRICK!. Tonight I get "The Welk Stars," John Tesh, and the Canadian tenors.

bigdave5472

bigdave5472

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 5:31 AM

I had not seen that one, and I found it to be both weird and oddly compelling. Sadly, what has been seen cannot be unseen, and I will have to live with the memory of Guy gyrating through the bridge. Ralna was great, though.

I had never seen Ralna behave this way before, rolling her eyes and such, and I wonder if she was taking medication or suffering loss of sleep. I wish I could have made out her answer when Guy asked, "Do you understand, now?" at the end of his lecture. I would agree with the eye-rolling disdain at that, but they did a good enough job on singing the song. I am no big fan of the way she normally looks at him like puppy dog worship toward the one who feeds it, but it is just acting, and it does not bother me more after learning their marriage was not for real. Both of them were goodlooking when young, and I saw nothing disgusting about the little dance.

Edited by bigdave5472, Mar 10, 2012 @ 5:34 AM.

BX60

BX60

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

CRAP, the begathon continues next week, too. I will miss a 1974 show. Next Saturday is St Patick's Day, but the 1979 Irish Show will be aired on the 24th, and the panhandling will be over on the 24th. Why couldn't they run the 1979 Irish show on St. Patrick's Day, and the 1974 show on the 24th?

1974 was pre Oddballs, Ostriches, Kathie Jim Turner, and other insipid acts.

1974 shows aren't THAT good, but 1979 shows are disgusting! It seems only right to have an Irish show on St Patrick's Day, and during the viewer shakedown.

juanruiz

juanruiz

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

I get stuck with the same Lennon Sisters special they aired a couple months ago.

OhioGrandad

OhioGrandad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

No Welk show here for the past 2 weeks..........and none next week either. Messages to the local PBS station go unanswered. Therefore, their plea for donations will be ignored in this household.

Pretzel Head

Pretzel Head

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

In that Ralna/Guy clip, Guy ends his little introduction with "Got that?" and Ralna simply says "Sing, Guy." Guy then says, "I didn't think so," probably knowing he's in for some hell later.

Edited by Pretzel Head, Mar 12, 2012 @ 6:07 PM.

MikeO

MikeO

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

The Musical Family:

REAL Movie Titles Describing Their Sex Lives.....

Where the Boys Are -- Bob Ralston

Home Alone -- Tom Netherton

Never on Sunday -- Joe Feeney

Funny Girl -- Natalie Nevins

The Great Lie -- Guy and Ralna

Misery -- Tanya and Larry Jr

All Quiet on the Western Front -- Mary Lou Metzger and Richard Maloof

Spanking the Monkey -- Johnny Zell

One Million Years B.C. -- Norma Zimmer

The Invisible Man -- Jimmy Roberts

Gone With the Wind -- Larry Hooper

Ragtime -- Gail Farrell

So Big -- JoAnn Castle

Saturday Night Fever -- Anacani

Squeeze Play -- Myron Floren

Prancer -- Bobby Burgess

The Old Maid -- Natalie Nevins

Once Is Not Enough -- The Lennon Sisters

Waiting for Forever -- The Semonski Sisters

The Horn Blows at Midnight - Tom Netherton

Coyote Ugly -- Kathie Sullivan

The Incredible Shrinking Man -- Lawrence Welk

Something's Rotten -- Lynn Anderson

The Snake Pit -- Guy and Ralna

The Nun's Story -- Natalie Nevins

Eyes Wide Open -- Bob Havens

Dreams with Sharp Teeth -- Ava Barber

AND.....

Chocolate: Deep Dark Secrets -- Arthur Duncan
_

k2p2

k2p2

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

We're getting Lawrence Welk's Big Band Splash tonight, with Joann Castle shilling live in the studio. She looks good, and is talking a mile a minute. She just announced that she and her long-time significant other were married last fall.

I like the show, and not just because it is hosted by my imaginary boyfriend from the '70s, Doc Severinson. I think we are in general agreement here that the band makes the show, and this is all band, all the time. There was one number with the Tappin' Trio. Even Art defenders would have to admit that he screwed the pooch big time at the beginning of the song, basically going left while the other two were going right. After that, though, he pulled it together, and was even more animated than usual.