S2: Mercedes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

473 replies to this topic

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 9:08 PM

Average. Wake me when she's cut. zzzzzzz

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:19 AM

Hey...I like me some Mercedes. Mind you...I don't remember much of her personality so I reserve the right to change my mind but she really looked exotic in her body paint picture. Rowwwr.

T licious

T licious

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:33 AM

Am I the only one who thought she looked like a man in drag in her pic? I really don't see her doing couture work. She looks more like a video girl. She could be one of those ethnicity models (thats the name of a company. Most of there models do music videos, and some urban wear fashion shows)

violet4120

violet4120

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 12:39 AM

Is she adopted, because I swear I thought I saw a pic of her with her parents....and her dad was Asian. Was I zoning out, or did someone else catch that too?

At any rate, Mercedes is one of the prettier ones.

mickif

mickif

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:43 AM

I think she's hideous. Seriously. I just wanted to put that out there.

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:51 AM

The first time I saw her I honestly thought she was Yvette from Popstars/Eden's Crush. I personally don't see what Janice sees in her.

Smurfy

Smurfy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 3:44 AM

I'm not that impressed with her, personally. I was confused when Tyra said her look was too "commercial" Huh?

ETA: actually, her Garden of Eden photo was very pretty, but I don't see her as a top-contender at this point.

Edited by Smurfy, Jan 14, 2004 @ 4:05 AM.

nea1982

nea1982

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:38 AM

She is bi-racial. Her father is Filipino, and her mother is white.

Tyra said that she is too commercial because she is like Kesse from last season. They are pretty girls but are not right for high fashion. They would be better in music videos, tv commercials, etc.

buzzbar

buzzbar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:13 AM

I dunno, I think she is one of the prettiest girls there! However, I agree when Tyra said that she is too "commercial" to be "high-end." I was wondering about the bi-racial thing too, but saw the comment on the filapino father, so that's all cleared up, thanks. I don't think she is going to win, but I think she'll make top 6. She's easily one of my favorites.

djb

djb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:14 AM

Terrifying. TERRIFYING.

jimi27

jimi27

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:24 PM

Alot of people are saying she is gorgeous. Looks like I need to visit the eye doctor soon. I think she looks okay, but her facial features are not symmetrical. Her nose looks huge in pictures. She does look like a drag queen, their are plenty of females who could been in her spot!I don't know what Janice is talking about either. I guess the body painted blinded her.

pistachio

pistachio

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:29 PM

Well, I was one of the ones who said she looks good, but I meant only her shot from last nights episode. There was something very engaging about it, even tho she's nothing special on the street. It's pretty much how I feel about Shandi, she can look awkward unless photographed well.

That said, Shandi's hair could be used to cover her ears, while there's nothing to be done for Mercedes nose on the runway.

Mist

Mist

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 6:00 PM

The first time I saw her I honestly thought she was Yvette from Popstars/Eden's Crush.

Oh, thank goodness someone else thought this.

darlingnikki

darlingnikki

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 6:30 PM

"couture" standards can change. At one point in time women of color would've never been considered for "couture" at all. She's commercial because girls like her aren't perceived to be "right" for couture. But the narrow minded perceptions of the powers that be can be changed.

Edited by darlingnikki, Jan 14, 2004 @ 6:33 PM.

funnyfan

funnyfan

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 4:14 AM

I'm not much into her apple-cheeked look, but this first photo is gorgeous. She rocked the Ancient Egyptian style!

Edited by djb, Jan 21, 2004 @ 11:39 AM.

Diane Chambers

Diane Chambers

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 1:57 PM

She reminds me of Jisela from Road Rules. Ergo, I dislike her.

pistachio

pistachio

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 2:16 PM

Surprisingly, her's was one of my favorite photos, up there with Heather. And neither are two of the more attractive girls imo. Their pictures are just so... striking. Just goes to show, there really is more to it than looks I guess.

buzzbar

buzzbar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 11:41 AM

I agree with you pistachio!! I don't think she is the most beautiful of the girls, but her shot is awesome. She has this commanding presence in it that I'm really digging. I do think she is a pretty girl, but the photo made her look AMAZING!

jimi27

jimi27

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 2:26 PM

The colors are beautiful. I liked her theme the best.

bibliosylph

bibliosylph

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 1:44 PM

Mercedes' multi-culti look is still very in, especially as a larger-than-ever group of ethnically mixed people are coming of age right now. she's very "one world" looking, which photographers love, because they get to play with both "ancient," and "futuristic" lights, colors and sets.

dimplez

dimplez

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 6:14 PM

...while there's nothing to be done for Mercedes nose on the runway.

Well, there's always rhinoplasty, which our good friend Tyra knows a lil sumthin sumthin about::wink wink:: I hope she doesn't go that route,though cause I think her nose adds character to her face.

Edited by dimplez, Jan 17, 2004 @ 6:26 PM.

Kromm

Kromm

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 12:20 AM

Week 1 I wasn't so impressed. At times she looks cross-eyed (look at the main shot of her on the UPN site) err... here.

The nose can look great or lousy.

This week she looked great. The walk was good, the photo session good... all of it.

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 12:21 AM

Merecedes really worked the shoes, outfit and makeup that she selected. I see her making it at least to the half-way point.

pistachio

pistachio

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 11:57 AM

I agree that she worked it this week, trying to coordinate the outfit. And while her pic wasn't the best (didn't even show the bandana she incorporated) it wasn't bad. I didn't think I would like her but she continues to impress.

desibee

desibee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 12:36 PM

I can't explain it, but her personality really grew on me last night. She's very pretty, something I didn't notice last week. I like her personality as well. I don't know what it is, nor can I explain it, but she seems very cool.

desibee

desibee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 12:37 PM

I can't explain it, but her personality really grew on me last night. She's very pretty, something I didn't notice last week. I like her personality as well. I don't know what it is, nor can I explain it, but she seems very cool, confident, sassy, and fun. Any "model" that can wear a hat and scarf and still know they're the..."stuff" (Oh God) are okay in my book.

*My very limited vocabulary book, apparently...

jimi27

jimi27

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 2:46 PM

She looked prettier this week to me also.I just don't think she is Top Model pretty. I see her more in a rap video then runway.

meara

meara

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 6:17 PM

Yeah, she definitely looked a little J-Lo, but I still liked the photo, and I thought the practicing boxing in the mirror was so cute!

mickif

mickif

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 6:42 PM

I don't like her at all looks-wise. But i feel like she is being set up to be the winner.

Drummergirl151

Drummergirl151

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 1:31 AM

Oh My God! I so believe that they are setting her up to be the winner also. I don't get it, I just don't get it! This is so unrealistic.