Tyra Banks

• Please log in to reply

3687 replies to this topic

dimplez

dimplez

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:07 AM

So I wonder why I've never seen Tyra in ads for Lane Bryant? By her own definition, she would be what's considered "plus-size" in the modeling world.

ColdGreg

ColdGreg

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:12 AM

I read somewhere that she sings the new theme song to ANTM, and it can be heard during the show's second season.

Tyra is supposedly putting out an album too. Dance music, I think. Shudder.

malm3

malm3

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:22 AM

I just saw her on Conan talking about it. She said the single would be dropping in a few weeks. And yes, she said "dropping".

Gustave

Gustave

Network Executive

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:30 AM

And yes, she said "dropping".

Why does Tyra always sound like a white person who is trying to sound black?

TV-Ho

TV-Ho

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:55 AM

She also said that she's been singing for 6 years and has worked with all the best people in the music biz, but has been keeping it on the "low down".

Edited by TV-Ho, Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:55 AM.

Smurfy

Smurfy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 3:40 AM

So I wonder why I've never seen Tyra in ads for Lane Bryant? By her own definition, she would be what's considered "plus-size" in the modeling world.

Word, word, word! I couldn't believe she said that considering she's no smaller (and probably bigger) than the poor blonde (can't remember which one). I made my boyfriend watch that part and he was all WTF! But it's all good, cuz Tyra's a "superstah" and all...

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 4:07 AM

Tyra's ego is burning an image into my television screen.

Despite my love for Conan and my irritation with this woman, I keep thinking the two make an attractive pair.

desibee

desibee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:51 AM

Boo. I don't like you. I can't put my finger on it; it could be the relentless ghetto-speak, when we know you aren't, or the fact that you "love the plus-sized" who aren't really plus-sized. But I just don't like you.

pistachio

pistachio

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 11:56 AM

Oh, I love Tyra. She always seems the voice of reason and I think she eggs Janice on. to me, the Janice-Tyra disagreements are one of the joys of the show.

Herb K

Herb K

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 1:31 PM

Whatever. SHe's friggin hot, and she's the only reason I even pause to glance at this dumb show when 24 is on commercial

Didn't the plus size comment refer to the mom who got booted? She was kinda chubby by model proportions. Surely in the real world she has quite a fine body, but compared to the typical model, she is packing a few extra pounds. Remember, we are talking in relative terms (i.e. relative to other models).

jimi27

jimi27

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:19 PM

Tyra needs to be more original, she stole Ebony line from last season!

Tyra:" This is not a sorority, it's a competition"

Oh and her weave looked bad last nite!

Edited by jimi27, Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:20 PM.

oh vienna

oh vienna

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 4:23 PM

Tyra Banks? Was she the one with the canteloupe implanted under her skin where her forehead should be? Or had one of the Close Encounters aliens temporarily taken over hosting duties?

Mist

Mist

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 7:57 PM

I still like Tyra ( I used to always check out her makeup specifics in magazines, as we have virtually the same eye color and complexion shade), but I thought she looked a bit odd and washed out last night. I was really surprised.

I think it was the weave color (close to but not quite the right shade for her complexion); plus her eyebrows looked to be bleached/dyed the very same (wrong) color. Hopefully she'll be sporting a different look soon.

And I hope she's not shocked when her CD flops. Not the smartest move, Tyra...

AdrianneReznor

AdrianneReznor

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 12:50 AM

Okay, I just have to say that Tyra is really a good person. She's really nice, has a heart(unlike most models) and is DAMN FINE. I would hope that people could consider me a good judge of character......and I think Tyra is cool. So what if she's bigger.....it matches her t*ts. She looks stunning in person. She never came across to me as being really self absorbed. Perhaps I'm wrong...but I don't think so. I agree about the cd...q..I dont think that will work. Made me cringe....even though she does have a decent voice. You gotta go to Japan to do that!

Marla Singer

Marla Singer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 1:26 AM

I love Tyra, can't help it. I might even buy her CD if it's on sale at BestBuy.

dimplez

dimplez

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 2:27 AM

Didn't the plus size comment refer to the mom who got booted? She was kinda chubby by model proportions. Surely in the real world she has quite a fine body, but compared to the typical model, she is packing a few extra pounds. Remember, we are talking in relative terms (i.e. relative to other models).

Yes, but isn't Tyra considered to be the "typical" model as well? She's done Victoria's Secret, Sports Illustrated, and other jobs that "typical" models do and yet her physique isn't that far removed from Anna's, IMO. So I just think it's kind of unfair for her to automatically limit another aspiring model w/ proportions comparable to hers to just plus-size modeling b/c being "plus-sized" obviously hasn't limited her own career.
Besides, if she is so gung-ho about showcasing that side of the industry then why hasn't she crossed-over into it? Or better yet, why hasn't she had to cross-over into it since the modeling world is so stringent when it comes to body size? Is she exempt b/c she's Tyra Banks? Looks like I answered my own qs....

ETA that her red weave really did make her look washed out! NOT a good look TyTyBaby!

Edited by dimplez, Jan 15, 2004 @ 2:45 AM.

funnyfan

funnyfan

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 2:52 AM

She looked much more beautiful last season. The weird, straggly red hair thing isn't really working for her.

That said, I still like her and the fact that she had the balls to even make this TV show. But damn, her taste in contestants has dropped like crazy since last season. None of the girls this time around are as beautiful as Adrianne, Elyse or even Shannon.

Edited by funnyfan, Jan 15, 2004 @ 2:53 AM.

TAPhD

TAPhD

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 9:39 PM

Yes, Tyra is bigger than the typical top model, but she looks more toned and fit than Anna. Anne didn't look fat by any means, but when I checked out the season two site for the first time and saw her in the group photo, I definitely had a "Woah, what's that one doing there" moment. Her weight/height ratio isn't that high, yet somehow she just looks...a little bit flabby. Don't get me wrong, I'd be perfectly pleased looking like her. I'm just saying.

Tyra started bugging the hell out of me somewhere around halfway through last season.

Caramelle

Caramelle

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 10:23 PM

Re: Tyra's CD

You gotta go to Japan to do that!

Poor Japan! I also heard Tyra promote the single and CD on Conan. All I could think was "Oooooh, not smart." Unless her single is absolutely remarkable and revolutionary, I don't think anyone will buy it.

Gustave

Gustave

Network Executive

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 11:38 PM

Poor Japan!

Hey, if it weren't for Japan, Naomi Campbell wouldn't have an album out either! I believe it was called "Babywoman."

[Is this the true fallout of the a-bomb we dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima?]

Edited by Gustave, Jan 15, 2004 @ 11:41 PM.

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 2:07 AM

*LOL*....Japan does seem to the mecca for artists whenever they flop in the U.S.

I love Tyra, can't help it. I might even buy her CD if it's on sale at BestBuy.

If it's in the 99 cents bin...I might consider buying it...:-) With that said, I too like Tyra as a person.

polyester

polyester

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 2:56 AM

Japan does seem to the mecca for artists whenever they flop in the U.S.

I even remember Alyssa Milano topping the album charts in Japan with one of her albums sometime in the early nineties. Tacky!

MisterPink

MisterPink

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 3:46 AM

God, I LOVE Tyra! Tyra is completely convinced that she got to be a model because she is SO good at it, and she just has that FLAIR. No, it's not being six feet tall and gorgeous with big boobs- it's raw talent, hunger, drive. I love when she shows the girls how to walk and snaps her head, or stands there dramatically with her hands on her hips. Last year's "These are the different ways you can say 'passion' and convey different things!" bit was great. She was so upset when Elyse said that being a model was just about looks- but with Season2, she's out to prove her wrong!

Jer2002

Jer2002

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 1:16 AM

Is Tyra a lesbian? I ask cause for the 2nd week in a row she's told one of the girls during the critiques portion with the judges that she needs to stick out her booty more. Tyra sure sems to love some girl booty it seems.

nea1982

nea1982

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 9:49 AM

Tyra looks awful with red hair.

Edited by nea1982, Jan 23, 2004 @ 10:26 AM.

djb

djb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 11:45 AM

Most female and male models are bi-sexual.

Most nothing aren't anything. This is a really weird conjecture, and not that germane to the thread.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 2:45 AM

Tyra's first music video

(second, if you count the ill-fated kobe collabo. and who does, really?)

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 3:33 AM

Well, I hope Tyra does well. Then maybe she can afford to pay Janice enough, so she can stop having to do those Pier1 commercials in the fatsuit.

Yeah, I'm not sure red is Tyra's color. I would love to see it dark brown, just for novelty's sake.

Edited by Ingresgumball, Jan 25, 2004 @ 3:35 AM.

Sky Bully

Sky Bully

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 7:57 PM

Sadly, there was nothing interesting about that video. Its pretty much the run-of-the-mill pop video.

NewsGirl2

NewsGirl2

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 9:23 PM

Then maybe she can pay Janice enough, so she can stop doing those Pier 1 commercials in the fatsuit.

Bwah!