TV Bloopers, Flubs, And Goofs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

75 replies to this topic

Odac

Odac

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 11:19 AM

Original Trek seemed to have more than its share of wardrobe malfunctions (although sadly not the fun kind, and when you look at the skimpy outfits some of those Alien Space Babes were wearing, that's kind of remarkable in itself).

But there was one Classic Trek goof that only came to light fairly recently: when the series was remastered & cleaned up for release on DVD, all the syndication cuts were restored, (and at least for a while shown on some cable stations with special expanded time slots) and lots of little bits of scenes were seen for the first time since the 60's. One of these was the tail end of a scene in Spock's quarters, there's some odd little "alien"-ish knick-knack on a shelf in the background, it looks like some kind of piece of sculpture with a candle or small electric light in it, and in the restored bit at the end of the scene you can see a noticeable amount of smoke suddenly start to emit from the thing as it is apparently catching on fire.

DownsideUp

DownsideUp

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 7:57 PM

There was a show on briefly in the mid 70's called The McLean Stevenson Show that my cousin was a cast member of. Coincidentally, there happens to be a clip of this show on YT and you can see a very unintentional goof in the opening credits around :38 seconds. "Jason" rams into McLean with his bike and I guess the producers loved the mishap since McLean's reaction added to the overall theme of the show.

McLean Stevenson Show - 1976

Although looking at the clip again, it seems intentional (little devil!) but I've heard this story so many times that I know that was not the intention of the scene when they filmed it!

Mermaid Under

Mermaid Under

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 8:23 AM

Great Clip, DownsideUp.
Paul Williams singing the theme song - whatever happened to theme songs? And one of the Darryl's from Newhart playing Larry.

Edited by Mermaid Under, Jul 11, 2008 @ 8:23 AM.

Zebra 614

Zebra 614

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 7:11 PM

Wow. Larry speaks!

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 7:02 AM

Do typos count? 'Cuz I noticed on one of the Hogan's Heroes Season Four eps, the short credits of "written by" and "directed by" that appeared just before the individual ep (not the main credits with title and stars), they spelled the director's name wrong. Edward H. Feldman had been (I think) a co-producer and had written and directed several of the eps, but on this one his last name is spelled "Feldmam". I couldn't believe it. I went back, looked again, paused the frame, and there it was clear as day.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

• Interests:I think there's something degrading about having a wife for a rival. If you fail, it's humiliating; if you succeed, it's commonplace.-Christopher Hampton, paraphrased

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 7:20 AM

Do typos count?

I sure hope so, because CNN Headline News constantly has something misspelled. It's like their graphic person is not quite awake yet during Morning Express with Robin Meade. Nothing like waking up to "Bush goes to Irat", or "Dog saws owner."

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 5:17 PM

One that just happened: on MSNBC, for the past 15 minutes or so, their newsticker has been running with the following text, "THE HEADLINE...THE HEADLINE...THE HEADLINE..." Over and over and over. Either nothing is happening in the world right now, or whatever is, is incredibly generic.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 6:12 PM

Hee, Shelwood!

If typos and mispronunciations count, my local NBC news affiliate owns this thread.

The full-time, billboard anchorwoman Kristen Mostetler: "...that will make teenagers salivi....savallila....salive....whatever that word is!!!"

What is "salivate," Alex?

That's my favorite, but there have been tons.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 6:16 PM

Dog saws owner.

Is this one meant to be saves? Because that's the only thing that occurs to me. Unless the dog has suddenly developed thumbs. "This'll teach you for all the times you pretended to throw the stick..."

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 9:17 PM

I've been Netflixing the early Dark Shadows episodes, and at the beginning of every episode an announcer reads the episode number, filming date, and air date off a chalkboard slate. One of the things I most look forward to is when he screws it up from time to time. But the best one happened in the very first episode. Imagine you're about to check out this new gothic soap opera that's been getting so much hype, and the first thing you hear is the announcer in a slightly annoyed tone say "All right, I'm here, what do you want me to do? (pause) I can't see the slate!"

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

• Interests:I think there's something degrading about having a wife for a rival. If you fail, it's humiliating; if you succeed, it's commonplace.-Christopher Hampton, paraphrased

Posted Oct 2, 2008 @ 10:37 PM

I've been Netflixing the early Dark Shadows episodes, and at the beginning of every episode an announcer reads the episode number, filming date, and air date off a chalkboard slate. One of the things I most look forward to is when he screws it up from time to time. But the best one happened in the very first episode. Imagine you're about to check out this new gothic soap opera that's been getting so much hype, and the first thing you hear is the announcer in a slightly annoyed tone say "All right, I'm here, what do you want me to do? (pause) I can't see the slate!"

As owner of some of these episodes on DVD (and former owner of hundreds on tape...wish I still had them!), I can assure you that the bloopers just keep coming. One of my favorites was Burke trying to talk Vicky out of researching so much of the Collins family history. He's trying to say "history kick," and it keeps coming out as "hickory stick" and "hickory kick." I could go on forever with booms and cameras being in the shots, makeup falling off, props falling over. Good times.

silverangelaunt

silverangelaunt

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2008 @ 8:59 AM

I loved Dark Shadows, it was must see when I was young. I had read a behind the scenes memior written by Grayson Hall, Dr Hoffman, evidentially they were all drunk or stoned, the actors, the writers, the crew. It was a real party show!

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2008 @ 11:49 AM

And at least once, a character said "Hollywood" when he meant "Collinwood".

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2008 @ 9:03 PM

There's a clip on YouTube with the headslate for the final episode, on which the airdate was written wrong. VO: "Dark Shadows, the last one, VTR 3/24/71, Air 3/2-er, 4/2/71."

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2008 @ 2:15 PM

There was an episode of The Wonder Years where Kevin Arnold walks into the cafeteria and sees a girl he has a crush on. When they show the shot of the girl that is supposed to be from Kevin's POV, you can clearly see Kevin sitting at a table behind her with his back turned.

Split Ends

Split Ends

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2008 @ 12:13 AM

KCWY strikes again! "Wyoming is somewhat insulted from the current economic crisis due to the energy industry..."

Insulted. Yes, we're very insulted by the economic crisis. How dare you, economy!

Or maybe she meant insulated. I wouldn't care, except that I'm quite sure she actually doesn't know the word "insulated."

Blackie 35

Blackie 35

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 10:20 PM

I realize I may have been the only person watching it, but on the short-lived CW show Runaway, the FBI was chasing a fugitive, and had tracked him to Boston. So they are working with the Boston police, and one of the officers tells them, while pointing out the location on a map on the wall, that the fugitive's car was spotted "traveling north on 95, headed toward Waltham." Only the actor pronounced the name of the town as "wal-THUMB". Like, geez, if you're going to go to the trouble of setting your show in a very specific location, at least take the trouble to learn how to pronounce the name of the town in the script.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2008 @ 11:56 AM

Wal-thumb? Isn't that kinda near Wor-chester? *waves to Blackie, an apparent fellow New-Englanda*

Archery

Archery

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2008 @ 1:59 PM

No, hon, wrong direction. It's up near PEE-body.

Blackie 35

Blackie 35

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2008 @ 10:57 PM

That's right. Wor-chester is the one near Lee-o-minster.

Kingtut

Kingtut

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 22, 2008 @ 1:03 PM

haha I heard that and thought something was off as well.

Wild Cherry

Wild Cherry

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 11:14 AM

Gee, and here I always thought it was near Glawcesster.

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

• Interests:Red Sox, Patriots, sci-fi, history, literature, crime shows (but not CSI:Miami)

Posted Oct 23, 2008 @ 12:09 PM

Hee. I'm so glad that I have NewEnglanda relatives, and it took me very little time to pick up the correct pronunciations when I moved to Boston for school.
Because it meant I could proceed to mock the Channel 5 news anchor, who incorrectly pronounced the town as "Havor-Hill."

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2008 @ 1:24 AM

As a kid growing up in Green Bay, WI, I could always tell when the stations hired voiceover guys from Chicago to do their station IDs because all the stations had secondary transmitters in the Upper Peninsula. The Chicago guys invariably told us those were located in MariOnette, MI.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Oct 31, 2008 @ 4:04 PM

Last night's Life on Mars featured an appearance of Jim Croce, who died in September 1973, and also had the characters planning to see the film Sleeper, which was released in December '73.

Still, that really pales to the hodgepodge of '70s stuff from Swingtown, which was ostensibly set in 1976 yet featured anything from the entire decade that popped into the writers' heads. It got especially weird with the songs from the future.

Raksha

Raksha

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2008 @ 2:44 AM

I just happened to randomly catch this one episode of 3rd Rock fom the Sun today and it contained one of my all time favorite bits.

It's this scene (beginning at 0:50), where Tommy and Harry are trying to feed their landlord's grandson. The camera is shooting Tommy and Harry from the baby's POV, so you don't actually see the baby. He's spitting all the food back onto Tommy and Harry and eventually Harry gets fed up and spits a bunch of food back into the baby's/camera's face. I'm not sure if that was an ad lib by French Stewart or not, but Joey Gordon-Levitt is desperately trying to keep it together and every time he glances at French he starts to lose it. So funny and pretty endearing.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2010 @ 11:32 AM

From The Avengers episode "The Superlative Seven": three people have been killed and their bodies placed in side-by-side coffins, which Donald Sutherland is monitoring with closed-circuit TV. I saw the ep dozens of times on old worn-out videotape and never noticed anything wrong, but it's obvious on DVD with digital clarity that the "strong man" character Freddy, who's dead, licks his lips while he's lying in the coffin on Sutherland's black-and-white TV feed. I went back three times to make sure, and I'm positive.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 9:59 PM

From the original SNL, when Belushi played the Samurai Deli Shop Owner. He was supposed to bring his samurai sword down violently to cut a submarine sandwich in half. He swung a bit too wildly and accidentally gashed poor Buck Henry's forehead. He wasn't seriously hurt, thank goodness. The powers that be at the show had the presence of mind to show a clip of the incident during "Weekend Update", with a somber-voiced Chevy Chase referring to an obviously "drugged-out" John Belushi attacking Buck Henry.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 1:37 PM

One I just found out thanks to TV Tropes. One scene in season seven of Buffy the Vampire Slayer was meant to have Spike being tortured by being dunked in holy water. Except they forgot to add the special effects which would indicate that, and so the scene became one of the show's most notorious as it looks like Spike is simply being drowned, despite it being part of the show's mythology from the very beginning that vampires don't need to breathe.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 6:47 AM

From the original SNL, when Belushi played the Samurai Deli Shop Owner. He was supposed to bring his samurai sword down violently to cut a submarine sandwich in half. He swung a bit too wildly and accidentally gashed poor Buck Henry's forehead. He wasn't seriously hurt, thank goodness.

If I recall (from seeing the repeat on Nick at Nite), Henry turned to the camera immediately after being cut, breaking character for a split second, to show he was actually hit by the sword. But he turned back to Belushi, and finished the sketch and the show.

Which led to a running gag throughout the episode of everyone in the cast sporting Band-Aids...