RW/RR Challenge in the Media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

770 replies to this topic

BigErn

BigErn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:11 PM

It seems that Sarah's Gauntlet run has earned the respect of Bill Simmons, ESPN.com's "The Sports Guy" (from his Jan. 2nd NFL Playoff Pick column):

I can't think of anywhere else to put this, so let's stick it here: Sarah's performance in the "Road Rules/Real World Challenge" is worthy of its own "SportsCentury" episode at this point. The weakest player on either team, she has this Elway-like ability to pull things together in the Gauntlet every week -- she's knocked off five people so far, even though the ungrateful bastards on her own team keep voting her back in. I'm not kidding ... if this were a real sport, we'd be comparing her to MJ and Muhammad Ali. This is amazing stuff.

(And no, I'm not kidding. Last week's show actually gave me goosebumps. OK, maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud ... umm ... hey, how 'bout that Vikings game?)

In addition to his ESPN.com column, Simmons is a writer on Jimmy Kimmel Live. I don't know, but seeing that in the midst of his playoff discussion just cracked my ass up. Maybe I'll give Kimmel another shot now. Actually, no...I won't.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:04 PM

Wow. This almost makes up for the time he cast his fantasy RW, and called Melissa the "token nutcase." But she ain't that weak...girl outlasted Adam in Sink My Ship and Turntable.

dmorris275

dmorris275

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:10 PM

Lantern, I think it just comes down to Sarah being strong in some areas and weak in others. The last few missions have been ones where she is weak (not to mention the fact that she has zero motivation to do much in them thanks to her wonderful team).

I'd really like to see Adam take her on in the Deadman's Drop. I bet the results would be very interesting (and very humbling) for him.

Edited by dmorris275, Jan 2, 2004 @ 3:12 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:41 PM

Check out #99. Makes me sick, man.

Edited by Lantern7, Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:42 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 3:50 AM

Bumping up. So...who's recapping this season? I know Mike's doing it, and I think Julie is as well. Leah and Shane don't have sites anymore, and Ace isn't going to have much to say. Also, Leah's site is out.

Just looking ofr juicy info and good grammar. Perhaps Coral, by way of Melissa?

JuanitaSmi

JuanitaSmi

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 9:19 AM

From the 2/3/2004 issue of TVGuide.com's The Watercooler:

Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Inferno
Here's what makes me sad about this show. These kids (and I say "kids" with all due, ahem, respect) darn near kill each other for $10,000 prizes they will have to share with 10 other people. For example: The Real World team turned on Syrus because, at 31, he's "old." Then Julie went crazy and grabbed Veronica's safety harness, trying to make the girl fall 17 flights. Wow. Stuff got ugly right off the bat! The funny thing, though, is that Julie's teammates act surprised. Come on now, people. That Mormon soiled her good girl image a long time ago. And I'm not talking about the time she spent in the RW: New Orleans house.

sardonic

sardonic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 1:38 AM

Kendal's tossed her hat into the recapping arena: MissKendal.com. Some interesting stuff, and as a bonus, she seems to be one of the few RR or RW cast members capable of using spell check.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 1:42 AM

few RR or RW cast members capable of using spell check.
Next Oldest

Though not the shift-key.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 2:28 AM

She's not bad. It's either get the skinny from her...or from Mike and/or Julie. And I'm hoping Coral will vent via Melissa's site.

Queen B

Queen B

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 4:24 AM

This is where I miss Sarah. Her recaps kicked ass - she dished the dirt, she can spell and punctuate properly, and her vocabulary is above the bar.

Kendal's was decent, though. At least I can understand what she's saying and I can follow her train of thought. That's always nice.

BabyJade

BabyJade

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 3:40 AM

Did ya'll see this in Sarah's links:

http://www.televisio...houtpity.com--- Who could forget Snark Central? I love this place ;)

Right on, TWoP got a Shout-Out!

JTara

JTara

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 7:22 AM

She used to post here.

cntryqt121

cntryqt121

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 10:48 AM

Hmmm....just visited MissKendall.com..and the site has been taken down. There is a note from Kendall stating there was some sort of controversy about gossip. Also no recapps on Planet Julie or from Mike......MTV must have a hand in this one.

JilliBean

JilliBean

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 12:26 PM

Kendal's site still works for me.

BabyJade

BabyJade

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 3:33 AM

Hmmm the black helicopters are flying around...

Conspiracy, you think??

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 3:35 AM

It's "Kendal" with one "L."

Looks like the recaps are going to be slim this season. No Sarah or Melissa here.

Natalita

Natalita

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 12:03 PM

Back in BoTS, NO Melissa said that she got in trouble for recapping the episodes too early, and giving away gossip. Mostly because the show is not always edited in chronological order, and she was giving away stuff that was affecting the Fantasy game. That's why they stopped getting tapes of the show before it aired. Probably something like that has happened this time too.

cntryqt121

cntryqt121

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 12:48 PM

okay granted my typing is really bad due to medical reasons but used the link supplied by sardonic one page back and tyed in kendal with one L (thanks Lantern) and still the same results....could be MTV just sabotaged my computer lol

quixotic

quixotic

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 6:27 PM

Lantern7

Looks like the recaps are going to be slim this season. No Sarah or Melissa here.

Don't forget Mike's awesome (and very gramatically-correct) recaps! I actually enjoy Mike's recaps because he usually supplies at least a few behind-the-scenes tidbits. He doesn't supply the snark that Sarah did, but his recaps are passable. And speaking of grammatically-correct, I'm gonna miss Norm's recaps too. *Sob*

ineedsomesleep

ineedsomesleep

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 11:31 PM

Oh Norman, where are you? Sure the Gauntlet is well over, but I still want that last recap from him! Love me some Norm.

I'm gonna miss Sarah's recaps as well, but I think Mike's are a pretty decent read. Hopefully he'll spill some good Inferno dirt.

sardonic

sardonic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2004 @ 11:41 AM

A new recapper to add to the mix: Kendal's website has a "Holly's corner" in which Holly will recap the episodes. Holly has not yet posted, though.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2004 @ 11:46 AM

Anybody else puzzled that Kendal has a cartoon sheep, while Holly gets a goat with its legs crossed, sipping lemonade?

Queen B

Queen B

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2004 @ 6:48 PM

Anyone glad that Holly's corner doesn't feature the same cutesy, but impossible to read font that Kendal uses? :) Me, me, me!

Natalita

Natalita

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2004 @ 9:58 PM

Me too! And they didnt use comic sans either, my most despised font.

Also, doesnt it feel as if Holly has read the forums here? Its like she is answering specific questions raised in the forums, like the Nelly band aid thing, confirming that Julie is indeed psycho, and the DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA

Edited by Natalita, Feb 13, 2004 @ 10:05 PM.

quickychick

quickychick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2004 @ 3:12 AM

Lantern7:

Anybody else puzzled that Kendal has a cartoon sheep, while Holly gets a goat with its legs crossed, sipping lemonade?

Because I have nothing better to do during insomnia, I checked and Kendal's zodiac sign is Aries (ram/sheep) and Holly's is Capricorn (goat).

edited for spelling.

Edited by quickychick, Feb 14, 2004 @ 3:13 AM.

miiiike

miiiike

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2004 @ 11:12 AM

I really dug Holly's recap. I think I might like her now.

SweetJ95

SweetJ95

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 14, 2004 @ 12:03 PM

Okay, he was in the Gauntlet and not the Inferno, but I think it's juicy enough:

FEBRUARY 13--Another "Real World" alumni is in trouble. David Broom, who appeared on the MTV reality program's New Orleans season, was busted early Wednesday morning by Chicago cops for patronizing a prostitute.

Skee-bop-a-wee-wa, indeed.

KateQD

KateQD

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2004 @ 2:59 PM

WOW! That report was graphic compared to the other reports I have seen on that site. I guess the arresting officer is paying him back for the assault on his ears all those years ago. Or maybe he's related to the writer of the original tune "Luck be a Lady Tonight" and is getting him back for the non-payment of sampling fees.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2004 @ 12:46 PM

Brief mention in Sports Guy column.Go to #17

chico1002

chico1002

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2004 @ 1:21 PM

I loves me some Sports Guy.