Blossom

• Please log in to reply

122 replies to this topic

QAF Rocks

QAF Rocks

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2004 @ 10:11 PM

The episode of Blossom I remember most is when Blossom and Six went to a make-out party, and Blossom ended up getting a hickey she kept trying to cover up with scarves. That was right about the time (age 13) I was wondering if I was ever going to get my first kiss, LOL.

kidcore

kidcore

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 12:00 AM

I can't believe I'm posting on this thread but this just totally jogged my memory. One of the episodes that stands out to me is the one where Six and Blossom go on a band trip to San Diego or something like that. They hear a rumor that Will Smith might be staying the same hotel and Blossom ends up running into him in the elevator. I just remember them dancing around in the hotel room singing the Fresh Prince theme song.

eveschmeve

eveschmeve

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 9:47 AM

The theme song to Blossom is the best- "In my opinionation, the sun is going to surely shine..." What the heck is an opinionation?

One of the only Blossom shows I remember is when Six thinks she may be pregnant. Blossom and Six get the results, but they don't know whether a blue line means Six is or isn't pregnant, and they have to call someone to figure out what the blue line means. At least, I think this was a Blossom episode. All sitcoms from my childhood blur together in my head. Still- Blossom was awesome, especially the episode with Joey Lawrence's video. I remember looking forward to that video all week.

Jazper

Jazper

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 12:29 PM

One gripe I had about Blossom was that the character started out quirky and spunky, in an almost kind of cute/endearing way. Then, she just became kind of bland and sarctastic as the years went by. I hung in, but knew the end was near when Finola Hughes and little "Kennedy" ("Why doesn't she have a son and name him Oswald?" --Blossom) showed up.

But I, too, remember mildly digging the theme song at the time.

Jellybaby

Jellybaby

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 4:16 PM

I had this huge problem with Blossom in that she always got the man! Always - firstly the meathead would be in love with some blonde type but then Blossom (despite her horse like apperance) would win them over with her extreme cleverness (cos she was clever y'know! Just in case you forgot! That's right she was book smart!) and they would be reformed - never again to fall in love only on looks!

Did anyone go to a highschool where this would have been vaguely possible? I just got the feeling that Maylim Blahblah (ok, I can't spell her name) or her parents had some say in what the storylines were.

I'm not bitter though.

Charlotte

Charlotte

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 1:03 PM

Blossom was awesome, especially the episode with Joey Lawrence's video. I remember looking forward to that video all week.

Great, now I've got "There's Nothing My Love Can't Fix For You Baby" stuck in my head.

joy1983

joy1983

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 2:39 PM

The episode that I remember the most is the one where Blossom, gets her period. I think she was like 16 or something, anyway she got it later, and her dad and her brothers took her out to dinner to celebrate. It wierded me out that her brothers and her dad cared so much about her period.

Le Cerf

Le Cerf

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 6:12 PM

It weirded me out that her brothers and her dad cared so much about her period.

Definitely. In my family, all the men pretend they know nothing of such things, and we like it that way.

Does anyone remember how the show ended? I guess I stopped watching before the series finale.

DivineShorty02

DivineShorty02

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 8:37 PM

"Why doesn't she have a son and name him Oswald?"

You know what's sad, it took me about 10 minutes to get that.

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 9:38 PM

This show sucked as a general rule, but it did have one very good episode, which was a parody of "Madonna: Truth or Dare." It was shot in black and white and everything. David Faustino of "Married with Children" had the Sean Penn ex-boyfriend role, while Neil Patrick Harris of "Doogie Howser" had the Warren Beatty current-bigshot-boyfriend role. It was extremely well done.

Also, Mayim Bialik with her choice of hot goyisch dates in high school? Please. I was a brainiac, hat-wearing Jewish girl, and Vinnies were NOT lining up to carry my books. I can suspend disbelief for the 90 minutes required for Baby to end up with Johnny Castle, but not for an entire sitcom season.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 11:44 AM

I loved this show back in the day. I was about the same age as Blossom, so I identified with her a lot. I even had a Blossom outfit that I sometimes wore to school: a baby doll dress and a straw hat with a flower on it. I was a big, big geek.

I remember when Six started making all these questionable choices like drinking and fooling around. She ended up dating this ex-con who was also married with two kids, and that guy was played by David Schwimmer! Ew! Ross was macking on Six!

sarcasmdetected

sarcasmdetected

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 12:53 PM

The theme song to Blossom is the best- "In my opinionation, the sun is going to surely shine..." What the heck is an opinionation?

Hahahaha...thanks so much; I was racking my brain trying to figure out how that damned song went.

Here are my Blosson memories:
  • She and Vinnie on the lamb, goodness knows why. They end up spending the night together in a hotel room, she wakes up and doesn't want to kiss Vinnie cause her breath stinks. He promptly solves this problem by giving her a jelly donut.
  • Vinnie gets into Princeton, but doesn't tell Blossom until a school official casually mentions the Tigers at a high school dance
  • Blossom up all night cause she fretts about her lost engagement ring. Her sleeplessness triggers the memories of Paris which que the "Blosson in Paris" episode...then she finds the ring on a statue of the Eiffel Tower.

Tabinet

Tabinet

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 12:58 PM

I loved this show so much. I was around the same age as Blossom, but it was always Six who I identified with [didn't hurt that I looked a lot like her too]. I know that the show probably really & truly sucks...but I'm still dying to see it in syndication somewhere. It bugged me to no end that Blossom was always so good & Six was always the bad one.

I remember taping the episode of Blossom with the Joey video at the end. Such good times, although I never found Joey to be attractive & thought his music sucked.

So - does anyone know how it ended? Because I cannot remember.

Hanna-Reetta

Hanna-Reetta

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 1:09 PM

Blossom was a great show at first, but became very boring in the last few seasons. The humour became too...I dunno, it was like the characters were laughing at their own one-liners. I always hate it when that happens.

I loved the period episode. I got my own period shortly before that (I was 11), and I was kinda ashamed, and it felt good to see someone else going thru that. That was the good side with Blossom, I think - somehow she was easy to relate to. And I loved those nightmare sequences in the first season. Too bad they stopped doing those.

I might be wrong, but wasn't Blossom also the first show to really deal with a family with divorced parents?

I didn't like how Blossom started going out with Vinnie. I didn't date anyone in my teenage years, and I hate how every single TV teenie has to be dating since they're 14. Why can't we have one single teenage girl on TV?

Six was great. I liked how she had a personality and was funnier than Blossom. There are too many second bananas with no character at all. Six was somehow a lot like my best friend too...

Gracelessly: The word "whoa" originated in Blossom?! I didn't know that!

And I have always had this question, why is Blossom named Blossom when her brothers have regular boring names like Joey and Tony?

Because that's how it works in real life too. If you read a top 1000 baby names list, you will find more modern names for girls, such as Princess, while the boys' names are old ones like James, Michael, David, etc. Mary, Jennifer and such are still also quite high, but ppl most often give girls modern, "original" names and then give a boring old middle name in case the cool one doesn't work out, while boys get old-fashioned names. Don't ask me why though...

eveschmeve

eveschmeve

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 1:15 PM

TV ToMe has a full episode guide to Blossom, including the last show. It's not too descriptive, so good luck.

On another note, does anyone remember the old Saturday Night Live skit when Melanie Hussell played Blossom and Sara Gilbert played Six? That was a great skit- they redid the whole beginning sequence, with the dancing on the piano and cartwheeling and flowered hat- classic!

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 1:31 PM

Whoa, Blossom got engaged? That doesn't even ring a bell and I used to watch this show obsessively!

And come on...who didn't have one of those dorky flower hats if they were Blossom's age when the show came out? ;)

Hanna-Reetta

Hanna-Reetta

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 2:32 PM

Blossom and Vinnie got engaged in the last few eps. Then B lost V's ring, and got mad at him for possibly going to a better university and leaving her. Then V promised to go to a nearby university to stay with her but they finally resolved that he would go to the best uni (Princeton?) and they would break up the engagement. They did the whole Casablanca dialogue - Vinnie got "hill of beans" wrong and B corrected him - and then they said "We'll always have Paris". The show ended with Blossom finding the ring in the Eiffel tower model in her room.

And yeah, it was kinda lame.

YourDensity

YourDensity

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 2:41 PM

I remember taping the episode of Blossom with the Joey video at the end. Such good times, although I never found Joey to be attractive & thought his music sucked.

My brother went to USC Film School in the mid 1990s (for editing/camerawork etc) and he had Joey Lawrence in alot of his classes. Every time the poor kid walked into class.. someone, somewhere would say "WHOA!" Apparently he ignored it, but there he was in class every day. Props for going to college.

He's actually looking pretty good NOW. But I think the next oldest (Matt?) Lawrence kid is really cute now.

My brother also had Ben from Growing Pains in classes with him, the little kid from Mr. Belvedere in his dorm. Strange stuff.

chrysanthemum

chrysanthemum

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 3:05 PM

I don't know...I always (and still do) had a crush on Tony. One episode that stands out is the one where Blossom is taking her road test, and Tony makes a picket sign. On one side, it reads, "Congrats! Good job! Way to go!" and on the other side it says, "Better luck next time! Don't worry!"

He kept flipping it back and forth as she told the story about her driving exam.

Charlotte

Charlotte

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

Whoa, Blossom got engaged? That doesn't even ring a bell and I used to watch this show obsessively!

Don't you mean, [Joey] "WHOA!" [/Joey] :)

He's actually looking pretty good NOW. But I think the next oldest (Matt?) Lawrence kid is really cute now.

Nah, Matt is cute, but Joey is freakin' gorgeous now. He seems like such a happy, friendly, down-to-earth guy, too. Too bad he's married. ;)

Prada

Prada

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2004 @ 5:16 PM

Every time the poor kid walked into class.. someone, somewhere would say "WHOA!"

This? Bwa!

Scat

Scat

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2004 @ 6:14 PM

I was about 6 years old or so and watched this show with my sister. I do remember the Salt N' Pepper video, although it confused me immensely. I think it was the first time I heard the word SEX being used on TV. Scandalous!

The only other scene mentioned already that I remember is Tony flipping the sign that said "Congratulations" and "Better luck next time". Joey said WHOA a lot.

Even then I knew Blossom was wearing the weirdest outfits ever.

deborahfr

deborahfr

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 12:11 AM

I didn't like how Blossom started going out with Vinnie. I didn't date anyone in my teenage years, and I hate how every single TV teenie has to be dating since they're 14. Why can't we have one single teenage girl on TV?

So true! This has always bothered me so much. I didn't start dating until college and I just hated how all these girls around my age on sitcoms always, always had boyfriends, and generally also a geeky guy in love with them. It's just not like that in real life and it ticks me off.

I remember the SNL skit. Blossom's dad keeps saying, "Bloosom, I'm proud of you" to everything she says. She tells him she and her boyfriend Vinnie had sex in the car and used a condom and he keeps saying he's proud. Then, at the end they did a parody of the Joey video and I think the whole song consisted of WHOAs. I can't believe I remembered all of that.

feng shui

feng shui

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 3:10 AM

I remember when Blossom had her period she had a dream where she went to the kitchen and Mrs. Cosby was there and diagrammed a vagina on a sheet cake.

kidcore

kidcore

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 1:08 AM

Also, Mayim Bialik with her choice of hot goyisch dates in high school? Please. I was a brainiac, hat-wearing Jewish girl, and Vinnies were NOT lining up to carry my books. I can suspend disbelief for the 90 minutes required for Baby to end up with Johnny Castle, but not for an entire sitcom season.

I'm sorry but this just cracked my shit up! I'm dying over here.

I just saw the grown-up Mayim on some E! show about child stars and girlfriend definitely did not grow into her looks. She actually looks even gawkier and wonkier now than she did has a kid struggling through puberty on national tv. Wonder what she did what all those Blossom hats?

Another episode I remember is when Blossom and Six are describing what they hope their "first times" will be like. I think Six goes into some story about how she'll lose her virginity in some big mansion while there's a thunderstorm outside and En Vogue is playing in the background. I have no idea why this has stayed with me for this many years. But I do remember watching it and being maybe a couple years younger than Six and Blossom at the time and thinking "Hmmm...that sounds so romantic and sophisticated. Hope my first time is that beautiful."

What was Anthony's wife's name? What was the story with that again? He went to Vegas one weekend, fell off the wagon, then woke up married? Remember Buzz the grandpa? Didn't mind him coming onboard so much but I hated Kennedy and her muddled expat accent. I hated Vinnie too. Mostly just because I was pissed at David Lascher for leaving Hey Dude and then eventually selling his soul to the Spelling empire by appearing on 90210 as Kelly's weirdly asexual boyfriend.

Great....now I have "There's Nothing My Love Can't Fix" stuck in my head too. Thanks a lot you guys. Whoa!

Edited by kidcore, May 10, 2004 @ 1:09 AM.

Gracelessly

Gracelessly

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 9:52 AM

Where did Tony move to? Was it Block Island or Rhode Island?

ChinkyGirl

ChinkyGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 10:34 AM

Block Island. I remember him trying to explain to everyone how it was close to RI, and it could barely be seen on the map, lol.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 6:09 PM

Bumping up for Katie.
This was a pretty good show. I enjoyed it sometimes.

sunny605

sunny605

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 11:15 PM

I still enjoy doing the Joey (oh, pardon me, Joseph) Lawrence "WHOA!" Unfortunately, not many people get it.

pretzels

pretzels

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 11:34 PM

I loved David Lascher on Hey Dude. I once read in a magazine that Christine Taylor who played Melanie was his first love. How sad is is that I remember the episode Christine was on Blossom. She was working at a restaurant where Nick and Tony went. That was the same episode Blossom is dreaming about Vinnie being a star and talking to Entertainment Tonight and saying her was on 90210. He appeared on so many sitcoms. Full House, Blossom, Sabrina, Roseanne. I don't remember what others. I remember he was on 90210 and wasn't into Kelly. I don't remember much else. He did a lot of tv movies of the week. He always plays a good guy. He was never an abuser or nasty. The closest he came was the gambling movies. How did they end Blossom? I stopped watching because Melrose Place was on the same time.