Meet the Press

• Please log in to reply

1019 replies to this topic

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

A lot of people upset with Gregory for his total bungle of the Bachman/Gillibrand segment (me included). He let Bachman blather on and on and on and on and on with her lies and attacks on President Obama as he sat there going uh huh and ok and then cutting off Kirsten Gillibrand before she had a chance to properly respond as Bachman was butting in and interrupting constantly. It was really infuriating to watch.

Even during his interview with Timothy Geitner, Gregory was spouting Republican talking points as if they were facts and expecting Geitner to rationally discuss them. And then toady DINO Harold Ford is the token Democrat on the panel and has the gall to say he agreed with Bachman's lies. I don't watch MTP all that often and after yesterday's debacle, it'll be a good long time before I have a look again. I saw that last week, Face the Nation beat MTP in the ratings by quite a bit. How long will it take the poohbahs to realize that Gregory is killing their show.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

So, given that Amanpour has gone back to CNN, who would you propose as a new host for MTP? Unfortunately, I'm sure Gregory isn't going anywhere any time soon, but it's worth a speculation.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

They need to get someone out of the nbc clique - I am so sick of the usual guests - Matalin, Carville (their shtick got old 20 years ago), Mike Murphy, Bob Shrum, Doris Kearns Goodwin, blah blah.

A real journalist (eg print) would be ideal, ie someone who hasn't been relying on producers to come up with questions and can ask followup.

Someone who's a good LISTENER is also key. I get a sense that Gregory's so eager to get through his list of questions that he could care less what the answers are. I actually thought Russert suffered from this as well.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

I can't stand Gregory, & I'm thrilled George Stephanopolous is back on This Week- it's one again my fave Sunday AM show. I nominate Lestor Holt to replace Gregory, because he is competent, intelligent, fair/balanced, & he deserves to be freed from having to work w/ Jenna Wolfe.

IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

So, the one time the roundtable shapes up to be interesting and thought-provoking, it gets cut short because Gregory has to pimp for Brian Williams and SNL?

Ugh. I was really enjoying watching Maddow beat up Republicans who only spew talking-points, too.

Edited by IceIceBaby, Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:02 AM.

babypinkfish

babypinkfish

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

I really don't think there's a heavyweight on par with Tim Russert who could take over for Gregory. Gregory was their best shot, in terms of keeping the show in the same format, etc. The obvious next-in-line would be Chuck Todd, because he's NBC's political director, but I don't think he could generate much interest. He might be less of a hack, but Zzzzzzz....

Not that Gregory is generating any interest. I don't know what the ratings are, but I thought it was telling that he showed up on the panel on MSNBC's NOW the other morning. It's a liberal show, and up til now I hadn't seen Gregory willing to lend his so-called gravitas to anything other than Morning Joe or Andrea Mitchell. Clearly, he's stretching.

There just doesn't seem to be anyone that's both politically-versed and charismatic, who could also get members of both parties to come on the show (meaning, willing to pander to Republicans and not challenge them with things like *facts* when they spew lies). Obviously Scarborough has nominated himself for the role, but - ugh!

That said, I don't really care. I much prefer the format of Up with Chris Hayes for my weekend mornings. Granted, I'm not going to get to see Reince Priebus sound off on the greatness of the GOP - or, for that matter, know how Claire McCaskill is making her bid for another term - but I can live with it.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Who was that horribly condescending man who talked down to Rachel?

I agree that the conversation was actually interesting. I was glad to see Hilary Rosen, who did not deserve the shitstorm that rained on her after her Ann Romney comments, IMO. I wish, when asked if Ann Romney can speak for what women want in this election, she said, "Ann Romney can speak for Ann Romney. Someone of her wealth does not represent the majority of American women.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

So tired of Rachel having to deal with that bullshit every single time she is on a panel on this show. I don't think I have ever seen her actually get her point out, or even get to finish a sentence. And DG does so little to control this behavior. And I agree about Hilary Rosen. I tweeted her this morning to beg her to stop apologizing. Everyone knew what she meant and she was completely correct. And Ann Romney is not off-limits, anymore. She puts herself out there, and says heinous things that she has not had to apologize for, or even explain herself. Democrats need to grow a spine and stop cowering to these bullies, for speaking the truth.

Diane Chambers

Diane Chambers

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Who was that horribly condescending man who talked down to Rachel?

Alex Castellanos - he is a commentator for CNN who worked for Romney in the last election cycle. He is consistently awful. Rachel handled it really well, though.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Ugh. Alex Castellanos. He's a reptile that made his bones back in 1990 by making a race-baiting ad in the NC Senate race (Helms v. Gantt):

Castellanos' race-baiting ad

It's one of the uglier aspects of politics that a person like that has a long career in the profession.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 3:35 AM

Poor Rachel got stuck with Castellanos last time she was on MTP, right after the big contraception blow up and he was just as ugly back then too. She pwned him that time too.

And no, David Gregory. Hilary Rosen's remarks didn't cause a big debate. The Republican operatives callous campaign to create controversy sparked the debate. It was hollow from the beginning and the press that you are supposed to represent should be ashamed of yourselves for being so manipulated that you fell for their tricks and couldn't talk about anything else for many days.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

Not that these are really current numbers, but the link gives one a general idea of how the Sunday morning news programs are doing - these numbers are from mid-Feb 2012.

Sunday Morning News TVbythenumbers

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

Really, MTP? Jim Cramer?

The dude has no credibility for me.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

Really, MTP? Jim Cramer?

The dude has no credibility for me.

Nor me. But I was surprised he was as pro-Obama as he was about several issues such as the auto bailout.

Speaking of pro-Obama, the Dems really have to do a better job of defending him and his accomplishments on these shows. Ryan sat there and spouted lie after lie about the president and the senate. Of course Gregory isn't going to pipe up and put a stop to all their talking points but I thought Durbin, whom I usually am quite impressed with, should have done more to let the audience know that Pres Obama has plenty of achievements to tout. Cory Booker was good on the panel but Durbin was very weak. Saw a Dem senator briefly on FTN and he too did the same thing - didn't rebut any of the Republican lies. They have to shape up and be much more forceful.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

I was appalled by Booker's comments. With friends like him, the Dems don't need enemies. Prior to yesterday's show, I thought Booker should run for President someday.

Edited by Lava VaVoom, May 21, 2012 @ 6:10 PM.

Fatkat

Fatkat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

Rumors are swirling that David Gregory is history. I hope so.
My link

Samwil

Samwil

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

I hope it's true.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Interesting. I DVR both MTP and Face The Nation, and Bob Schieffer is the gold standard of Sunday morning news(or "Beltway" shows) as far as I'm concerned. If MTP wants to improve ratings, make Ann Curry the host.
....just kidding. Lester Holt, maybe?

Edited by prairiegal, Jul 8, 2012 @ 2:18 PM.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

As long as it's not Luke.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

Rumors are swirling that David Gregory is history. I hope so.

I watched MTP for years, but 3 weeks after Gregory took over I switched to This Week w/ George Stephanopolous, which is soooo much better. It's on from 10-11am here (NYC market), MTP & Face The Nation are on from 10:30-11:30. So when This Week is over at 11, I switch to Face The Nation, which is also great. I find Gregory insufferable & unwatchable. Ironic that NBC has given him several years to destroy MTP & defends him, but Ann Curry was only given 1 year at Today & was blamed for the destruction of the cash cow.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

As long as it's not Luke

Shh...don't let them hear you...

What about Chelsea Clinton?.........not.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

Is there something in Rachel Maddow's contract that requires her to appear on this show? Otherwise I really can't understand why she does it as it does nothing but boost Gregory's pathetic ratings.

That said I wish she'd broken Rich Lowry's finger geesh what a rude, lying hack that guy is. Why is it that liberals remain on their best behavior even when conservatives "go rogue"? Call them liars to their faces let's see what happens when politics gets real lol.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

I *only* watch MTP when Rachel is on. And I missed the March show when she was treated so, so condescendingly by Alex C.

She would be a terrific MTP host, but please don't take away her nightly show!

irisheyes

irisheyes

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

That said I wish she'd broken Rich Lowry's finger geesh what a rude, lying hack that guy is. Why is it that liberals remain on their best behavior even when conservatives "go rogue"? Call them liars to their faces let's see what happens when politics gets real lol.

Conservatives who go on MTP with Rachel and lie should remember this one simple, little fact. She has an hour long show, and she will spend all of it dissecting their lies if she needs to. I think on MTP, she doesn't want to look like the shrill liberal, so she doesn't confront them like she should. On her show, however, all bets are off. :)

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

That said I wish she'd broken Rich Lowry's finger geesh what a rude, lying hack that guy is.

I glad I'm not the only one with that thought. I would have grabbed that finger in my face and ripped it off.

I swear Rich sounded like a third grader "prove it, prove it, prove it. See, you can't prove it.". Gah, punk ass.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

I tuned in to NBC expecting to see the Olympics but only watched because Rachel was on.
The whole Rich Lowry/Rachel segment reminded me of Pee Wee's Adventure. "I know what you are, but what am I"?
And shame on David Gregory for letting Lorwy ambush the show.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 2:32 AM

I just looked at tomorrow's line up. Am I crazy or are Debbie Wasserman Schultz AND Jan Brewer at the roundtable?

Setting the alarm if this is indeed the case...

SamX

SamX

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 4:56 AM

Debbie Wasserman Schultz is so holier than thou to me.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

Was there anything worth hearing on today's show? I put it on at the half-hour, and shut it off as soon as I saw Jan Brewer. Really? A batty governor of a small state is a panelist on the week of the national convention?

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

Am I the only one who likes Luke Russert? I think he's very hard-working, has some of Tim's extroversion (at least considering his youth), and keeps even-handed no matter what program he's on.

Then again, I can't stand David Gregory. I'd love to see Luke Russert take over MTP and show him up as the horrible interviewer he is.