Meet the Press

• Please log in to reply

1019 replies to this topic

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 11:59 AM

Just saw Howard Dean on this program this morning, and I was impressed. There's absolutely no chance that I will vote for Bush this November, so I try to watch the Dem candidates whenever I can. Russert threw everything he could at Dean, and Dean answered with candor and intellect. Refreshing! That's what this show does so well...it really separates the men from the boys. Dean passed the test with flying colors. Did anyone else see it?

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 9:59 PM

Kilgore Trout "The politicians should be backed down into either saying "I lied" or "I was wrong" if they talk out of both sides of their mouths. They should not be given a free pass to spew erroneous facts in the media."

Kilgore, you really are a LOYAL VIEWER! "Meet the Press" is the place where Tim Russert gave Dick Cheney a free pass to tell the American people that the Iraquis would greet American soldiers like liberators, Iraqui oil would pay the entire cost of reconstruction and that Saddam Hussein possessed an arsenal of weapons of mass destruction. Russert's "Meet the Press" has done much more for Bush than the Oreilly Factor because it reaches far more people.

lemondust

lemondust

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 10:40 AM

Softball interview of Bush is coming up on Saturday (shown on Sunday morning?).

Edited by lemondust, Feb 6, 2004 @ 10:47 AM.

Paper Chaser

Paper Chaser

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 9:44 AM

Not much chewing and spitting required with Bush. I think Tiny Tim is giving him just enough rope, if you know what I mean.

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 11:48 AM

WOW. If I ever had any doubt that this guy is a mess, this interview cleared it right up. The guy can barely speak in complete sentences, and he's leading the country?! (Or rather, pretending to lead the country, as Cheney et al push through their various agendas...)

I am a registered Independent, and will not vote based on party affiliation, but I'm convinced that virtually any of the Democratic nominees, even the "fringe" ones, could do better than Dubya. Yeah, as the previous entry stated, Tim didn't need to do much. This guy hanged himself. Will be interesting to see if there is any fall-out from the interview!

medk

medk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 12:54 PM

Transcript.

tannerbrowndog

tannerbrowndog

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 11:46 PM

First let me step back and talk about intelligence in general if I might.

i couldn't have scripted a greater line for that man if i tried.

There is no such thing, necessarily, as a dictatorial regime of iron clad solid evidence.

i spent quite some time trying to figure out whether he was talking about saddam or his own administration. frankly, i still don't know.

so many other things to love: the assertion that saddam could have destroyed the WMDs during the war (or had them shipped to another country). seems kind of counter-intuitive that this threat to the world would not have used this arsenal when under attack. what was the point of having them?

did anyone notice that he completely mistook the word "preemption" for unilateralism?

You mentioned "preemption."  If I might, I went to the United Nations and said, Here is what we know, you know, at this moment, and you need to act.  After all, you are the body that issued resolution after resolution after resolution, and he ignored those resolutions.  So, in other words, when you say "preemption," it almost sounds like, Well, Mr. President, you decided to move.  What I decided to do was to go to the international community and see if we could not disarm Saddam Hussein peacefully through international pressure.

my feeling about the interview overall is that GWB did well by GWB standards only, and that's setting the bar awfully low. but our country is gullible enough to buy this nonsense and come back for more.

and for chrissakes, don't question bush's record of service: that's tantamount to denigrating the National Guard.

the only reason i dislike GWB is that he thinks he should be (and is (!)) president, but should not be. the republicans say that the democrats are turning this election into an issue of class warfare, but that is the issue -- at least the most salient one. i grew up around, and am friends with many, people who have wealth enough to ensure the comfortable lifestyle of several generations of their progeny, and yet they are grateful to this country only insofar as it can maintain and grow that wealth without contributing their fair share to the common good. they would rather parlay their own means into truly disgusting amounts and insulate themselves from the other 99% of the country than try and continue to make this the greatest society in the history of man.

sorry for the overly-long post. let's blame janet jackson.

(thanks to medk for the transcript.)

Edited by tannerbrowndog, Feb 8, 2004 @ 11:52 PM.

Resmudge

Resmudge

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 1:44 AM

I turned on the TV just as Bush was saying this:

But I did say also that our troops must be trained and prepared to fight and win war and, therefore, make peace more possible.

So evidently, he's taken Frank Burns as a role model.

Paper Chaser

Paper Chaser

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 8:11 AM

Everytime I hear the "war is peace" mantra, I get really, really scared.

Ministry of Truth, anyone?

*shudder*

mimiko1

mimiko1

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 10:57 AM

someone give Bush his GameBoy Advance and get him out of our lives. Honestly, I want someone smarter than me running the show.

cleopatraseven

cleopatraseven

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 2:19 PM

There may be no evidence, but I did report; otherwise, I wouldn't have been honorably discharged.  In other words, you don't just say "I did something" without there being verification.  Military doesn't work that way.  I got an honorable discharge, and I did show up in Alabama.

That statement is a contradiction in and of itself. If there is verification in the military for everything, why would there be no evidence that he reported? An honorable discharge isn't a verification of anything.

mimiko1

mimiko1

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 3:01 PM

he was honorably discharged because Daddy Bush told them to!! Same way he got into Yale and Harvard, probably.

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 3:32 PM

Alabama has long distinguished itself for the quality of its record keeping! You can be sure that any record maintained by Alabama during the early 1970s will now be in impeccable condition!

medk

medk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 4:01 PM

he was honorably discharged because Daddy Bush told them to!! Same way he got into Yale and Harvard, probably

I don't know why this is relevant to a Meet the Press topic, but as long as it's brought up, is there documentation that substantiates the above?

Edited by medk, Feb 9, 2004 @ 4:33 PM.

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 10:19 AM

Some cross pollination of my favorite shows...much as I expected, the Meet the Press interview was handily skewered by Jon Stewart last night on the Daily Show. If you didn't see it, it's repeated today (at 7 PM) and you might want to take a look. JS got in some zingers. Of course, there was plenty of material with which to work!!!

mimiko1

mimiko1

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 10:36 AM

medk: I only meant that sarcasitically, never meant to make you think that was a fact. Sorry.

tannerbrowndog

tannerbrowndog

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 11:24 AM

Mimiko1: While it might not be a verifiable fact, if there was a bet on how he really wrangled that discharge, my money would be on Daddy as well.

Harvard and Yale too. Who would have thought one could parlay Gentleman Cs into the presidency? Is Bush 'fashionably retarded' or simply evil? (No offense meant to any truly challenged people.)

Anyone who was in Skull & Crossbones shouldn't be President. This goes for Kerry as well: if you desire a life in public service then don't join any secret societies as an adult. Rich white boys getting drunk, paddling each other and hatching iniquitous fiscal policies.

Maybe that's just my crazy fantasy -- I don't have any proof that they actually do that. Yet.

cleopatraseven

cleopatraseven

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 11:35 AM

is there documentation that substantiates the above?

Read Kevin Phillips' book "American Dynasty."

Also, Bushwatch.com is a great source of Bush lore - many sources listed, but also many not. Fun to read if you feel the same about the Bush's as I do - but also very frightening.

medk

medk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 1:48 PM

Somebody emailed me a Dallas Morning News investigation that the Guard was switching from one type of fighter to another! With only 8 months remaining, it didn't make sense to re-train GWB in the short time left on the new plane, and given that he had completed his requirements, they thought it better to open a slot for a new pilot who could get training on the new plane with lots of time left to fly! Not as intriguing as some of the speculation but I have no reason to distrust the Morning News!

I have no problem with Russert addressing this issue, but I am curious to see if he asks Kerry how he wangled an early release from his service when he wanted to run for office!

tannerbrowndog

tannerbrowndog

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 2:00 PM

Cleopatraseven: check out SmirkingChimp.com

and remember, ask not at whom the chimp smirks....

cleopatraseven

cleopatraseven

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 9:11 AM

tannerbrowndog, a fellow mediawhore watcher, I see! Good for you!

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 10:02 PM

So evidently, he's taken Frank Burns as a role model.

Diet 7UP. All. Over. Keyboard.

unitool

unitool

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 11:10 AM

doh

Edited by unitool, Feb 22, 2004 @ 11:10 AM.

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 1:02 PM

Arnold told Tim the gays were running amuck marrying each other in San Francisco and the Presdent and Mrs Bush were calling him a fairy for not putting an end to the homosexual anarchy so it's KAPUT, he's ordering his General Attorney to quash the Gay love riot.
Tim beamed as Arnold promised California in November for the Presdent and Mrs Bush.

secretagent

secretagent

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 10:25 PM

So glad I checked in on this thread, you guys feed off of eachother.

Chambliss

Chambliss

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2004 @ 2:54 AM

Oh, right, secretagent, the Southwest Airlines "aficionado." Perhaps the preceeding dialogue was a tad bit too tolerant for your tastes?

Edited by Chambliss, Mar 3, 2004 @ 4:33 AM.

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2004 @ 2:44 PM

..and once again, Howard Dean acquits himself beautifully with Tim Russert. Get this man a good job with the (hopefully) new Dem administration, stat!!

Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 1:19 AM

Seconded. What a contrast to Condi Rice, who was not convincing; so brittle and defensive that she seems to be on the verge of tears. Whatever her other skills, she shouldn't be put in this kind of on-camera role.

sweetsue

sweetsue

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 3:58 PM

As someone else said in this thread, I want the President to be smarter than me. And sound smarter. That has always bothered me about Bush. I hate it when people try to defend him as some straight-shooting guy that doesn't have to use big words to get his point across to the simple people in the middle of the country. Dude can barely string a simple sentence together coherently, much less use those big words that confuse us simpletons of the red states. Yale and Harvard are much less impressive to me after listening to Mr. Bush over the past few years.

And I love Tim Russert!!!

joanie42

joanie42

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2004 @ 2:29 PM

Another great episode today...Tim interviewed Richard Clarke. I missed part of the show and hope to catch it on CNBC later. So far, I think Clarke is making his case beautifully. The Bush administration is outmatched!