Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

• Please log in to reply

1594 replies to this topic

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

I wanted to ask, is there anyone on the board who's been in the contestant pool but hasn't been picked for the show? Or for those of you who were, how long did they wait to call you? Any advice from people who've gone through the process would be awesome.

I've passed every time and I got a postcard in the Regis years without a call and then I auditioned for Meredith and got The Call -- but no postcard.

akattack

akattack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Interesting. When were you on the show, and how did you do? (If you don't mind me asking. . .)

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

nteresting. When were you on the show, and how did you do? (If you don't mind me asking. . .)

I was on in 2003 (yikes, was it 9 years ago?) I had a rough batch of questions and I missed at 50/50 at the $16,000 questions so I left with $1,000. The group I was in ALL had a tough batch of questions and smart, bright people all left with $1,000 except one who walked at $8,000.

My question:

"What was the name of the newspaper that the title character of the movie Citizen Kane bought on his 25th birthday?"

I chose The Crier. Answer was The Inquirer.

Yikes! Oh well. It was really fun. I still watch the show.

If you need any advice or suggestions, let me know.

Sunday Moon

Sunday Moon

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

I was on in 2007. Went to a taping of the show in NYC (I live two hours away), passed the test, had an interview right after (no video or anything, just a Poloroid pic) and never got a postcard. They called me about three weeks later and I was on the show a few weeks after that. I interviewed at the end of July (July 27th I believe), got the call sometime in August, and was on the show September 5th. So it was pretty quick. Walked away from the $100,000 question so I got $50,000 (approximately $30,000 after taxes...boo).

akattack

akattack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

@Dee Clutter Yikes! That is my biggest fear about this entire process. One bad question, and you're out with a grand. I'm glad to hear that you had such a good time, though, and that you still watch. Since the level of difficulty of the questions is so random (I wouldn't have gotten yours either), perhaps I should just focus on the fun aspect if I am selected to be on the show.

@Sunday Moon Thanks for sharing your story as well and congrats on the 50K! What was your walk-away question?

I haven't heard anything yet from Millionaire, but I'll keep you posted!

Snim Xis

Snim Xis

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

I was on the show this past season and I had to wait about six months between getting my postcard and getting the call. I had less than 24 hours' notice (I think because I'm local) and it was the second-to-last day of filming. The staff said they have an office where the polaroids of every single person in the contestant pool are taped to the wall and overall the order in which they call you is pretty random. Expect the call any time between next month and mid-November, though there's also a small chance that if you haven't heard from them by then, they'll call you early next season before they start to replenish the contestant pool in earnest.

As for the show itself...the people who work for Millionaire (especially Meredith) are all great and it's fun to hang out with your fellow contestants and cheer for each other. The game itself, though, was awful. I had terrible luck and I was basically humiliated (and if this board is to be believed, I came off as some kind of psycho). I've gotten over the disappointment, but I will probably avoid any future chances to appear on television.

So I guess my advice to you, akattack, is just be patient because you could get the call as late as November for the upcoming season. Also, if you make it onto the air and it goes badly, resist the temptation to see what the Internet had to say about it. I hope your luck is better than mine though.

akattack

akattack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

Snim Xis, were you the woman who went out on the Delfonics question? I read about that earlier on the board, found the footage of your episode and felt so badly for you. I would have been toast much earlier in that game; you had such terrible luck with questions. I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience game-wise, but I'm glad you've gotten over it, for the most part.

Snim Xis

Snim Xis

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

Yeah, that was me. The funny thing was that right before I went on, I said to the staffer who was my "handler," "I'm not nervous. This is all random chance, I know many random things, and as long as I don't get the worst board ever, I should walk away with some money. But what are the odds of that?" Famous last words.

Worse yet: I once got an A in a college course entitled "Music of the 1970s".

akattack

akattack

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

And that first question about Memphis that you got was obscene. Actually, and I hope this doesn't make you feel worse, I saw your episode and immediately decided not to tell friends and family if I got on the show until after it aired, for fear that I would have a board like yours. Also, I don't think you came across as psycho; I would probably give audience members the same looks of contempt if they screwed me over, too.

Did the rest of the contestant pool that day also have problems, or did you just have a rogue board of shitty questions?

Snim Xis

Snim Xis

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Hard to say. There certainly wasn't a cluster of terrible games - I was there for two days and from what I can tell there was at least one huge winner (he was a great guy and totally deserved it inasmuch as anybody deserves game show winnings) and at least one other WTF board (though I read the transcript later and it wasn't quite as WTF as mine - I could have worked with it...OR ANY OTHER BOARD EVER...ahem, sorry, I really am mostly over it).

We were not allowed to know how our fellow contestants did as they played, so most of what I know is based on what my boyfriend could remember. He watched a day and a half of taping before it was my turn and he observed that typically, contestants whose game started in the middle of the episode had tougher boards, I guess to minimize the number of games that run over. I also know that the episodes did not air in the exact order in which they happened in real life - some folks who played the same day I did had their episodes air several weeks before mine did - so I think some additional shuffling around happens during editing.

I didn't tell anybody but family and close friends (and coworkers who had to know why I was out). Only two people I know in real life caught it "in the wild," but once it hit YouTube and Google the cat unfortunately got out of the bag.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

Oh, man...I feel like total crap. I'm sorry! I didn't know. I tried once and I still didn't get in. Well, there is always the slot machines. The most I won from a slot machine was on a 4 dollar bet and instantly won $1,000. My brother won $1,100.

Edited by RL1, Jul 27, 2012 @ 5:50 PM.

Snim Xis

Snim Xis

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Don't sweat it, RL1. The chances that the person you were mocking in an Internet forum would be a regular in that same forum are about as remote as the chances of hitting the jackpot on the slots...or of getting onto Millionaire and having the worst luck ever, for that matter. I didn't tell you all who I was, so you wouldn't have known. And it is Television WITHOUT Pity, after all - anytime you go on TV for anything you become fair game.

But I will say my first impulse after coming on here when the episode aired was to look up a few Survivor contestants and send them apologies for all the times I called them douches on TWoP.

goroshnik

goroshnik

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

So it's been a full four weeks since I passed the regular and movie quizzes and got those three interviews... but I've gotten nary a postcard or phone call since.

So much for the "we'll let you know in two weeks" spiel. Should I start to worry that there might not be any word at all? This feels like trivial purgatory, not knowing if I'm dipping my feet into the contestant pool or not.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Are you sure you haven't received any cards? Have you shakened all catalogs/magazines to make sure they're not hiding somewhere? If so, maybe no news is good news? Lord knows, my fail postcards come like clockwork.

Edited by braggtastic, Aug 7, 2012 @ 2:53 PM.

makesnosense

makesnosense

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

I auditioned Sunday at the Apollo in NYC. Long afternoon (auditions were 12-5, I got there a little after 1 and didn't leave until 4:50), but I passed, got the interview (no video if they still do that) and if nine seasons of history hold true, I'll get the Postcard of Death in two weeks...or so. It went on so long I had to change travel plans home, but if a miracle occurs and I'm in, it will have been worth it. Just passing is redemption for tanking it last year.

I thought the test was easier than the past couple years (only doubted my answers on three questions) and being at the Apollo was definitely a unique experience.

goroshnik

goroshnik

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Well, it was two weeks later than I thought I'd get it, but the Postcard of Fate came in the mail, and it's a no-go.

The only question I've got now is, since I passed both the regular and movie quizzes, does this rejection card mean that I'm out of both the regular and movie contestant pools, or could I expect another card in the mail shortly? The card didn't specify which audition I was rejected for.

I'm desperately crossing my fingers and hoping that there's another card coming, but my Spidey senses feel otherwise.

makesnosense

makesnosense

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

I just got not the yellow postcard of death but the email of death. Another year of not being in the contestant pool. Like I really expected anything different.

rochester8832

rochester8832

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 23, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

Has anyone received a postcard yet for the Las Vegas auditions yet? I auditioned in Chicago, Toledo and Las Vegas and have gotten "no thank you's" from two, but not the third, so I am still hopeful. Any help would be appreciated.

hanzz

hanzz

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 4:16 AM

The unofficial BAM bored/board has reported that several postcards have been received by Vegas auditioners.

rochester8832

rochester8832

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

I still haven't gotten a rejection, so that might be good news. What is the website for the unofficial BAM board? Also, are they coming by email or postcard? I've gotten 2 postcards, but Las Vegas said they may be sending emails.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

I heard the show might be canceled after this season. This is third hand info though, so don't hold me to it.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

Where did you find that out? If that's true, well, so long Millionaire....

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Did anybody seen the new episodes? So far.....there were two other people that got the axed by answering the wrong questions, leaving with only $1,000.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 6:02 AM

And is it just me or Meredith's sense of style is becoming awful recently this season?

akattack

akattack

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Well, I got the call! My show tapes this week. Any advice, other than to always guess C?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Roll with the punches. I know someone who was told two weeks ago his taping date would be last Tuesday. Monday they changed it to early October & Wednesday they changed it to Thursday - the next day. He didn't do well.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 5:44 AM

A teacher that didn't know about Pippi Longstocking? That clue was such a gimme. And he's a teacher? Of what? Clowns?

rochester8832

rochester8832

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

Good luck, AKAttack. Where did you audition? Did you get a postcard or just a phone call? I auditioned in Las Vegas this year and haven't received a postcard and can't decide if this is a good thing or not.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

Let me know how you did, AKAttack.

akattack

akattack

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Thanks, guys! I'm not allowed to say how I did until the show airs, but I'll definitely tape tomorrow or Monday.

@Rochester8832: I auditioned in New York, got a postcard in the mail about three weeks after the initial audition, and then got the qualifying phone call two weeks ago. Not sure what to tell you, but I know there is some difference in how contestants are notified. I'll ask the others tomorrow.