Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

• Please log in to reply

1594 replies to this topic

Trip

Trip

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 10:38 PM

Sorry, double post.

Edited by Trip, Feb 22, 2004 @ 10:38 PM.

StephenTrendy

StephenTrendy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 11:55 PM

Wow. I was sorta impressed with the idea of "Super Millionaire." But, it didn't make for much drama. I mean, they showed one contestant. ONE. That's not very interesting. I tuned it out and went back to writing an excruciating essay, because I was so bored by this.

On the plus side, the 2 new lifelines are fun. I like them.

briangrapes

briangrapes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 12:39 AM

Yeah, this is decent so far. Regis' voice keeps cracking every once and a while, hehe.

Trip

Trip

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 12:57 AM

Actually, they showed two contestants. Granted, the second didn't get that far through his run, but Todd only occupied the first 40 minutes.

And I actually didn't mind that, because his run was pretty drama-filled (he got up to a million-dollar question, after all) and because he was such fun. I'd rather have one of him than a bunch of boring contestants like the second one seems to be.

Edited by Trip, Feb 23, 2004 @ 11:00 AM.

Prairie Fire

Prairie Fire

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 1:06 AM

Those 3 Wise "Men" need a little more time, though! They only end up with like 15 seconds after Regis reads the question.

Wow, it's like 1999 all over again. Some have said that the first run of Millionaire helped launch the reality TV craze, even though it was a game show.

LostinSpace

LostinSpace

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 1:18 AM

I just can't believe that ABC is so hard up as to need to bring this show back, sex it up with a 10-fold increase in prize money, and put it on for 5 nights in a row. The next thing you know they'll be bringing back All American Girl, Are You Hot, and Dinotopia.

That said, I did actually like the new format. Tony Kim was great comic relief, and he's got a great girlfriend to boot. I didn't find the questions any harder for the first 10 (breezed through all of them), but the next series got much tougher. I guess ABC doesn't really want to give away that $10 mil.

My only real pet peave with tonight was that in its earlier incarnations, Millionaire would edit out most of the long pauses for contestant decisions. I could have cooked dinner in the time it took Kimmer to make some of those later choices.

Finally, Mr. Kim said that the producers told him that the 50-50 lifeline was random. I have never found that to be the case, including tonight. The most likely answers are always the final two.

Kromm

Kromm

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 1:39 AM

I just realized that I haven't missed Regis yelling at all.

Is it my imagination or did the guy not even have the option of taking the money and running until the $100,000 level? Sure he was guaranteed $5000, but what if he wanted to stop somewhere in the middle? Was that always a silent option and Regis just doesn't ask anymore?

Obviously it's a crock that 50-50 is random. It's ALWAYS the two best contenders. 50-50 is almost always a useless lifeline if you are already stuck between two answers.

StephenTrendy

StephenTrendy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 2:14 AM

You're right, Trip, I stopped watching before he finished, but a friend taped it (why?) and said there were 2. Even so, it was just boring.

Penarol1916

Penarol1916

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 9:58 AM

I am even more embittered after watching him waste his 50/50 on pangram, come on man, you even went through the right logic to come up with the right answer without needing to use it. Once you got passed $100,000 the questions were really hard, that's kind of ridiculous.

medk

medk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 10:41 AM

Super Millionaire was the highest rated show of the evening with an 11.8/17 -- 74 percent above lead-in Extreme Makeover: Home Edition! It also beat L&O on NBC by 11%, impressive since L&O is usually unbeatable!

Edited by medk, Feb 23, 2004 @ 12:26 PM.

M I B 3 1

M I B 3 1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 11:34 AM

I'd take a game show over a cop show every day. (I'm not into regular television, since I usually watch the original Millionaire, Enterprise, and The Apprentice, and now Super Millionaire.) Good that Super Millionaire won the slot. Hopefully ABC will bring it back on a regular basis (as in a sweeps period event television setup, but ONLY in that manner). Besides, despite the fact that Mickey Mouse has deep pockets, even he can't theorhetically pay out a theorhetical $10 mill to I'd say 10 contestants. Such money would constitute the quarterly profit margin for a Disney theme park, so keeping the series limited is the most feasible option.

And Regis was (and still is) suffering from food poisoning, so his voice was not the best of condition. Still, I missed him asking the questions, and it was refreshing for him to be back, even though it is technically for one week.

(Besides, he went back to the monochromes! Long live the monochromes!)

The new lifelines ROCK! Although I still have one question: if one uses Double Dip, can they still use anything else AFTER they confirm the DD, or not? (ex: If one Double Dips, can they still phone a friend, or use the Three Wise Men after they confirm DD, or are they forced to take their two shots right then and there?)

And it was good to see Nancy Christy as one of the Three Wise Men, and ended up being invaluable Sunday night.

LostinSpace

LostinSpace

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 11:57 AM

Good that Super Millionaire won the slot. Hopefully ABC will bring it back on a regular basis (as in a sweeps period event television setup, but ONLY in that manner).

I think that's the plan, since they were advertising for new contestants last night, and this show is not filmed live.

Besides, despite the fact that Mickey Mouse has deep pockets, even he can't theorhetically pay out a theorhetical $10 mill to I'd say 10 contestants. Such money would constitute the quarterly profit margin for a Disney theme park, so keeping the series limited is the most feasible option.

Have you seen the single-day price for a ticket to a Disney park recently, let alone the price for hotels and food? (I live in Orlando.) Disney can afford to pay out that dough, but Eisner and Co. are way too stingy to do that. In fact, I'm very surprised that they O.K.'ed the $10 million top prize, and that's why I think the questions at the $5 mil. and $10 mil. will border on requiring a supercomputer to answer.

Although I still have one question: if one uses Double Dip, can they still use anything else AFTER they confirm the DD, or not?

I believe Regis said that if you use the Double Dip, you must answer the question afterward. Therefore, no further lifelines.

Edited by LostinSpace, Feb 23, 2004 @ 12:00 PM.

medk

medk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 12:25 PM

they were advertising for new contestants last night, and this show is not filmed live

The show is taped one day ahead of broadcast; Sunday's program was taped on Saturday! They are still accepting contestants because they have a few more days of taping left! I suspect they are holding off making plans for the next run of 5 episodes (or however many it is) until they see how this one plays out!

Edited by medk, Feb 23, 2004 @ 12:25 PM.

trainman

trainman

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 1:29 PM

Obviously it's a crock that 50-50 is random. It's ALWAYS the two best contenders. 50-50 is almost always a useless lifeline if you are already stuck between two answers.

On the original Regis "Millionaire," the 50:50 did leave what the producers considered to be the two "best" answers, but on the syndicated Meredith Vieira "Millionaire," it is indeed random, so I assume they're using the same rules, since that's what the producers apparently told Todd Kim. I think it was just a coincidence that it left the two answers he was debating between. (Guess he must not have heard of the R.E.M. compilation album "Eponymous," which is not named that because it contains every letter of the alphabet.)

I am told that the Three Wise Men can see the question on a monitor in addition to having Regis read it to them, so they could theoretically be ignoring Regis's voice (if it's even possible to ignore Regis's voice) and conferring about it for the entire 30 seconds.

I was very glad I wasn't faced with that question, because for some reason, I was absolutely positive that the first network condom commercial didn't air on Fox, so I probably would have used the double-dip and answered "Nurses" and then "Anything But Love."

GenerationX

GenerationX

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 1:35 PM

The new lifelines are cool, and the show is better than before. I thought the questions were a little harder, too.

Anyone else get the impression that Kim's phone-a-friend googled Amelia Earheart Co-Pilot? He just said the name with no explanation.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 3:17 PM

I knew all of the questions up to the $500,00 one. I guess I was one of the 10 people in the country who remembered (and / or actually watched) Herman's Head. Besides, back in the day, Fox was the only "on the edge" outlets that would have run a condom commercial! It was pretty deductive for me. What I don't understand is why he would waste both a "Double Dip" lifeline AND a "3 Wise Men" lifeline on a "free" question! Why not use the Double Dip, which essentially makes it pretty much a 50/50 chance? That's what I would have done. The helpers could have known that $500,000 question!

By the way, shouldn't it be "3 Wise People" instead of Men? One of them IS a woman, after all.

Another thing. How come Regis didn't give him a "free guess" on the $500k question. I was waiting for that! Instead, Reg just handed him the check and sent him on his way.

Anyone else get the impression that Kim's phone-a-friend googled Amelia Earheart Co-Pilot? He just said the name with no explanation.

That's what I kind of thought...and that's exactly the strategy / deal that I would have set up for a person who I would mark as a "lifeline".

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 3:22 PM

Anyone else get the impression that Kim's phone-a-friend googled Amelia Earheart Co-Pilot?

That's what I would have done. I've been calling in and haven't gotten past the fourth question, although I got to question four every day but one. Last night my fourth question was to put these units of measurement in order from shortest to longest:
league
parsac
light year
click

What the fuck? I was expecting miles/kilometers/furlongs or something like that. The only time I've ever heard parsac was in Star Wars and I thought it was a made up term. Needless to say, I still don't know the right answer & would appreciate if someone could tell me, or at least reassure me that it was a hard fourth question.

I missed the fastest finger opener last night because I was still watching the SAG awards (and taping Sex & the City, busy night). I also didn't see the beginning of The Kipper's intro, so color me shocked when they showed his girlfriend, complete with an outfit that matched his. I thought I heard him drop the name of a gay couple and make another remark to declare himself gay, but I guess I was wrong. Tonight is the last night to call in to be a contestant - I can't believe I'm probably not going to be one this time - I thought this was it for sure.

AgentX

AgentX

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 3:34 PM

Maybe he's a Star Trek fan like myself and knew the answer immediately. He seemed not to take a lot of time with the answer so I'm just wondering was there enough time to search for it with google?

I remember really like Millionaire, but last night was excruciatingly boring. I switched off the tv for the second contestant as he seemed very uninteresting. I thought the questions were easy up until the million dollar question. If that is the sign of things to come then ABC really doesn't want to give away big money.

Prairie Fire

Prairie Fire

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 5:19 PM

Another thing. How come Regis didn't give him a "free guess" on the $500k question. I was waiting for that! Instead, Reg just handed him the check and sent him on his way.

That's one Millionaire ritual I don't miss. Regis gives the contestant a "free guess", the contestant guesses right, the audience and Regis groan as if the contestant just pissed away $64/$125/$250k when it was a totally random guess the contestant would neeever have staked money on.

Seems like the appeal of 3 Wise People as a lifeline is that there are 3 of them, so there's the potential for debate (and maybe even a fistfight, but I'd settle for debate). So that's why they deserve more time, like a minute - it's not like they're Googling or anything. Could be an interesting lifeline down the road.

ITA about all the Todd Kim love, though maybe it's because it was fun to watch him talk through the answers. Not bad to win $500K on TV without having to do something like move into the Big Brother house to get it.

Edited by Prairie Fire, Feb 23, 2004 @ 5:50 PM.

M I B 3 1

M I B 3 1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 7:21 PM

Maybe he's a Star Trek fan like myself and knew the answer immediately. He seemed not to take a lot of time with the answer so I'm just wondering was there enough time to search for it with google?

I know what you mean. (Thank you Star Trek: Voyager.) When I saw the question, I was with my dad, and I knew it was Noonan off the bat. He thought Earhart disappeared alone, but was surprised when he saw me answer the question flat out, and got it right.

He was even more surprised when he saw that I knew the Herman's Head question flat out as well, since I eliminated Nurses and Anything But Love straight off the bat. (At the time, NBC and ABC were not daring enough to air such a commercial, and I heard that FOX was the first. Frankly, I would've double dipped and saved the Three Wise Men for the $1 million question.)

I remember really like Millionaire, but last night was excruciatingly boring. I switched off the tv for the second contestant as he seemed very uninteresting. I thought the questions were easy up until the million dollar question. If that is the sign of things to come then ABC really doesn't want to give away big money.

That's what I love with this show. When I see the Syndicated version, it's almost as if part of the thrill is gone with the pacing stepped up. What's great is that we see the contestants suffer. Call me sadistic, but would Todd Kim's run be as meaningful had they rushed it? I don't think so.

One thing I miss was the introduction to the people in what I call "Fastest Finger Row", borrowed from another game show. Although they did show some, it would be nice to bring that back in subsequent episodes.

I thought of trying the phone game, but I'm finishing up my college studies at this time, and need to focus. Perhaps when they return later in the year, I'll take my shot. I do want to eventually get there one day. Besides, I love those chairs! Who's their supplier?

(Anyone notice the new lower level music? Not bad. I also like the call of leaving the level background music alone from question 11 and up.)

I am so happy, since I go for the Millionaire Double Dip four times this week. Meredith, then Regis. (Insert cheesy grin here.)

Trip

Trip

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 12:16 AM

Ack, that Bobbo! One of the loudest, most obnoxious contestants ever. The anti-Todd Kim.

LostinSpace

LostinSpace

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 12:24 AM

Well now we know that SuperMillionaire really does have a random 50-50 elimination. Thanks trainman for the heads up. I never did watch the syndicated show after George Gray left.

If he watches the Discovery Wings or History Channel often, he'd probably know that answer immediately. I did.

I see Regis got his voice back tonight...unfortunately for us viewers.

Bobbo was hilarious tonight, and quite gutsy on that last million dollar question. He outdid Tony from last night in the comedy department. His bets line of the night was to his phone a friend father-in-law, "I know where you live, and I got your wife." Double Hee!

Edited by LostinSpace, Feb 24, 2004 @ 12:25 AM.

StephenTrendy

StephenTrendy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 12:33 AM

Ok, this one was less boring than last nights. Bobbo or whatever his name is was pretty cool and more interesting than the Kimmer, to me. But the lady after him was just blah.

I'm hoping they keep this as a special occasion thing and not make it a regular staple of their schedule (even one night a week would be too much).

canadiantyler20

canadiantyler20

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 2:34 AM

Why don't they have the contestant ask the "Three Wise Men" the question instead of Reg? I'd go nuts if I was in the hot seat and Reg was reading my question, taking a15 of the 30 seconds just to get it out.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 4:53 AM

Good idea, canadiantyler20! You spit the question out as fast as you can, and if you don't leave them enough time to wrestle with it that's your problem.

Bobbo was cool until he started threatening his father-in-law. And during his campaign up the money tree it finally dawned on me who he looked like: Meat Loaf.

Am I the only one who thinks the questions are signficantly harder? The one about gymnastics events kind of threw me for a loop, and after Bobbo went above $100,000 I was completely lost. I thought Fuzzy Wuzzy Brown was the fake color, but I don't have kids and I haven't colored since I was 10.

The Three Wise Men, in my opinion, could turn out to be a bad one because there's a chance they don't know. (How they knew Gray Matter is a different matter entirely.) But the Double Dip seems to be a gimme. I understand you have two shots to answer a question, but what's the drawback to using it? I insisted to my parents that utilizing it means you cannot walk away from any subsequent question; you must either answer correctly or leave with the guaranteed $100,000. But then I saw Bobbo quit with a million. I thought that the Double Dip was such a powerful lifeline that there needed to be extra risk to balance out the reward. Does anyone know what I mean?

Oh, well. Good news is, I got all five questions right tonight! Now I'll be staring at my cell phone between 8 and 11 in the morning awaiting the call!

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 6:11 AM

Way off topic: where have I seen canadiantyler20 before...

ON topic: I've gotta say I'm impressed, but I hate the phrase "a new dimension to the game."

bradscanticon13

bradscanticon13

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 8:34 AM

I actually thought the grey matter question was easy, it was just a matter of eliminating the wrong answers. Asparagus sounds like a craoyla color, whatver C was obviously didn't sound like a color and would be the answer if it was a 3,000 dollar question, but this was for half a million so that can't be the answer. Fuzzy Wuzzy Brown and Grey Matter are both pun names for colors, and children wouldn't get the grey matter pun, so its grey matter.

canadiantyler20

canadiantyler20

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 12:50 PM

Way off topic: where have I seen canadiantyler20 before...

ON topic: I've gotta say I'm impressed, but I hate the phrase "a new dimension to the game."

amnewsboy, you have seen my in your dreams....
or at WNN if you're the same amnewsboy as there (don't imagine there'd be that many amnewsboy's around)

And yeah, "a new dimension to the game" sounds so scripted and unnatural for Regis.

trainman

trainman

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 4:50 PM

For iMissEthan:

Last night my fourth question was to put these units of measurement in order from shortest to longest:
league
parsac
light year
click

Click (sometimes spelled "klick") is another word for kilometer. A league is equal to 3 miles. A parsec is a little over 3 light years (there's a complicated astronomical definition for exactly what it is; the problem in "Star Wars" wasn't that it was made up, but that it was used as a unit of time instead of length). Looks like the answer in this case would be 4-1-3-2.

You're right, a pretty hard fourth question, but then, a lot of the phone questions have been pretty hard. I didn't manage to qualify this time around, so as far as I'm concerned, anyone who did qualify is a certified genius.

Edited because I'm trying to simultaneously read the TWoP forums and closed-caption "According to Jim," which may be a partial cause of why I wasn't smart enough to qualify.

Edited by trainman, Feb 24, 2004 @ 4:53 PM.

LostinSpace

LostinSpace

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 5:06 PM

Bear with me here folks. As an amateur astronomer, the definition of a parsec is the distance to a star that it takes for the star to move one second ( 1/3600th of a degree) on the celestial globe (similar to our own global coordinate system) in the time it takes to move from one side of our sun to another. In other words, it's the amount of motion in the sky that a star will appear to move from say February to August. (Yes, close stars do appear to move their position year-to-year.) The actual distance is 3.2 light years- the time it would take light to travel a little over three years, or bottom line, it's the longest distance in the options.

ETA: Bobbo was cool especially when threatening his in-laws. Harassing in-laws is an American tradition.

Edited by LostinSpace, Feb 24, 2004 @ 5:09 PM.