Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

• Please log in to reply

1594 replies to this topic

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 2:01 PM

It's coming back to prime time! Link is to NY Times article, registration required, but I'm sure the news is all over the place.

erik316wttn

erik316wttn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 6:32 PM

I think its only coming back for just the 1 week, and it will get a network spot again if the ratings are good enough.

Then ABC can run it into the ground again.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 8:51 AM

It's coming back to prime time!

Boo-urns! Boo-urns!

I know that it's only for one week, but why do I have the feeling that they are going to bring it back?

For those that are either starting to hate reality shows or have always hated reality shows, they have this show to blame. It basically started the trend that we have been seeing for the past four years and the trend that is never going to go away.

Also, I found this little (OT) gem:

From February 28th, 2000:

In the wake of "Multimillionaire," which ended in acrimony between the bride
and groom, Fox TV Chairman Sandy Grushow vowed last week that his network is doing away with reality shows once and for all.

Edited by jw7579, Jan 27, 2004 @ 8:53 AM.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 12:28 PM

Does Sandy Grushow still have that job? I'd be very much surprised. The only reason I'm excited about the show coming back is because I want to get on it this time. Still no word on how they're getting contestants, but promise me if I'm on you'll put aside your principles and watch me.

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 3:35 PM

For those that are either starting to hate reality shows or have always hated reality shows, they have this show to blame. It basically started the trend that we have been seeing for the past four years and the trend that is never going to go away.

THIS show did? The "answer 15 questions with three lifelines and win $1,000,000" show?

I thought "Survivor" was the generally accepted catalyst for the "reality TV boom"... WWtbaM? was the catalyst for a short-lived (way, too short lived, IMHO) game show boom ("Twenty-One", "Weakest Link", "Greed").

Not trying to be mean; just curious, s'all.

As for topic... I think, IF ABC does it as these one-week only sweeps specials... AND ONLY THAT... I think it might be successful. I would hope they've learned their lesson.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 9:09 AM

Link to a Netscape article about the return of Who Wants to Be A Millionaire.

The value of the first question will go up to $1,000, and the players can win up to $10,000,000, as all of the dollar amounts are multiplied by ten. There will also be three new lifelines included.

For some odd reason, ABC is choosing to run the show at 9 PM EST on its Sunday premiere evening, and then at 10 PM EST when it is run during the week. Why such a late starting time? Isn't this a show that parents and kids can watch together? I guess those are the holes in ABC's schedule that need to be plugged. And no one wants to go up against powerhouses earlier in the evening, I guess.

Jaegs

Jaegs

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 1:43 PM

Anyone been able to find out yet about how they're selecting contestants? The "Super Millionaire" site on abc.com says "auditions open now," but all that does is link you to the Meredith Vieira site (millionairetv.com), which says auditions are closed.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 5:23 PM

I really don't blame this show for the reality TV craze -- I blame it for the crappy game show craze (Greed, The Weakest Link). I know television writers call WWTBAM a "reality" show, but it has nothing in common with the other reality shows out there (which are all either unusual competition shows, like Survivor, or romance shows, like The Bachelor). It was just a really well-produced game show, in prime time, with a very very large prize.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 11:22 AM

When I called my local ABC station to ask, I was told the info will be put up on the site as soon as it is finalized. Now the link takes you to a blank page, so I guess they're working on it. I tried the first day and got the Viera link as well.

M I B 3 1

M I B 3 1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 12:56 PM

First thing's first. I just perfer Millionaire in any form. I really don't care who's hosting it.

Regis always has a charm that is cool. That and I like his wardrobe...so much that I confess that I have a whole slew of monochromatics in my closet, and try to use them whenever possible. It'll be good to see him again at the helm for Super Millionaire.

Meredith is also good. Although her approach is softer, her tension-based draw outs would make the UK counterpart, Chris Tarrant, envious. (And I have three clips of Tarrant's Millionaire on my comp from a looooong while back, so I can see how he draws them out, which admittedly is 10 times worse than Meredith... You've got to love it!)

(I do prefer Regis a little over Meredith, but they bring different aspects to hosting the show.)

I've seen all the million dollar wins, and I have to admit Nancy Christy and Joe Trela's runs up the ladder were the most impressive. All the winners had serious game, but these two were the strongest, by far, since both were respectively out of lifelines at $16k and $32k. Most of the time, that spells death for a contestant, but they actually got stronger (or luckier).

As for Super Millionaire, I CAN'T WAIT. They can change almost everything (more lifelines, more money, the return of the FF, revamped graphics), except one thing: the music. I have a copy of the UK CD, with all the background music for each level, and it's critical to setting the tension for the game. (That, and I just can't get enough of it, especially the $1 million level.) I'm just hoping they don't screw it up too much...

(Also, if you want to blame anyone for the reality craze, blame Survivor. (Although I admit, it is a good show, compared to some of the weird formats the come up with.) But there were many GS clones tring to replicate WWTBAM's success, and the original is still standing... LONG LIVE MILLIONAIRE!!!)

Edited by M I B 3 1, Jan 29, 2004 @ 12:59 PM.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 3:48 PM

the return of the FF

What is the FF? (And when did it go away?)

Jaegs

Jaegs

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 3:58 PM

FF = fastest finger, as a way of selecting who gets to go into the chair opposite Regis from the group of contestants there for that day's taping. They don't use it on the syndicated (Vieira) version.

mattmarcotte

mattmarcotte

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 5:36 PM

An interview over at Game Show Convention Center indicates there will be something akin to the old-school phone game for contestant selection. Also, third-hand data says prior "main game"/"Hot seat" contestants will not be eligible. I teared up.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 11:38 AM

Does Sandy Grushow still have that job? I'd be very much surprised.

He had the job up until a few weeks ago when he resigned. An article about it is here.

And I may have overreacted when I said that "Millionaire" started the reality show craze. I had said that because I remember reading an article that said that CBS wanted the success that ABC had with a show that offered a million dollar prize and that was how CBS got "Survivor". And now that I think about it, I now agree that "Survivor" started it all.

For some odd reason, ABC is choosing to run the show at 9 PM EST on its Sunday premiere evening, and then at 10 PM EST when it is run during the week. Why such a late starting time? I guess those are the holes in ABC's schedule that need to be plugged.

The only holes they would be filling would be Monday and Thursday, since "NYPD Blue" is on Tuesdays and "20/20" on Fridays.

mattmarcotte

mattmarcotte

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 4:29 PM

Well, "NYPD Blue" is not what it was ratings-wise, and "20/20" is a warhorse--consistent, but never spectacular, but the rest of the week is a void for ABC at 10 PM.

erik316wttn

erik316wttn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 8:30 PM

I don't understand....

So if it does well it will be brought back and not overused? Or will it just be a special occasion no matter how well it does?

And does anyone have any info on what the 3 new lifelines are?

erik316wttn

erik316wttn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 8:57 PM

I had said that because I remember reading an article that said that CBS wanted the success that ABC had with a show that offered a million dollar prize and that was how CBS got "Survivor". And now that I think about it, I now agree that "Survivor" started it all.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I heard a different story. Of course, you very likely could be 100% correct.

I heard that Mark Burnett pitched the show to every major network at least once and was rejected until someone at CBS saw the possible potential of the show, but also saw the potential bomb factor, which is why it was aired in the summer.

Sorry to go off topic

medk

medk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 5:42 PM

And does anyone have any info on what the 3 new lifelines are?

Not three new lifelines, but two: "Three Wise Men" and "Double Dip"! You can read about them here!

M I B 3 1

M I B 3 1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 7:38 PM

Both of the new lifelines are veeeery interesting.

Three-Wise-Men sounds like one of the prototypical lifelines that was being considered when WWTBAM was first being conceived in the UK, although it sounds like a microcosm of Ask-The-Audience.

Fascinating that Double-Dip essentially locks out a player of the option of walking away from a question, although I can see why this is the case.

Now, I can't wait to see what happens next. Now with a $9.9 Million jump from fifteenth question to the tenth, it sounds really exciting.

Edited by M I B 3 1, Feb 10, 2004 @ 7:41 PM.

Persona

Persona

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 10:48 AM

Most interesting to me: the Double Dip is confirmed to be an auto-win when combined with the 50/50. Thus, if you can keep the previous dog of the 3 lifelines intact through 10 questions, it suddenly transforms into a "get-rid-of-question-free" card. Early prediction: at least 3 $2.5m winners, but no 5 or 10.

erik316wttn

erik316wttn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 12:50 PM

Most interesting to me: the Double Dip is confirmed to be an auto-win when combined with the 50/50. Thus, if you can keep the previous dog of the 3 lifelines intact through 10 questions, it suddenly transforms into a "get-rid-of-question-free" card. Early prediction: at least 3 $2.5m winners, but no 5 or 10.

Interesting to me: The "get a new question/get rid of a question free" was one of the rejected lifelines when they were first discussing "millionaire" back in 1999.

AgentOreo

AgentOreo

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2004 @ 9:35 PM

Can anyone tell me what city the August 26th auditions took place? Thank you if you can help me out.

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2004 @ 11:13 AM

I second. I really can't see this show give away that much money this early in the 2000s.

I'm also really not liking the idea of former champions not being able to retun to WWTBAM. IMO, if someone wins more than Dan Olmsted, I think that he should get the opportunity to regain the title (most money won), because a true champion defends the title.

marv

marv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2004 @ 4:37 PM

I've been phoning in every night to try to qualify--so far I haven't gotten past the second question. I was wondering if anyone else was trying to qualify, and if so, what have the questions been? I'm wondering if everyone gets the same questions each night, or if they change it up. So far:

The first night I called, the first question was to put seveal kinds of clothing in order from when it debuted. The choices were blue jeans, corsets, sports bras, and something else I don't remember. The second question was to put several Westerns in chronological order from debut date, and I totally missed that one, because I hate Westerns. The only one of the choices I remember was "Stagecoach".

The second night, I couldn't hear the recorded question properly, but it was something about a body of water between the U.S. and Canada.

The third night, the first question was to properly arrange the words in the title "The School of Athens". The second question I don't remember.

Penarol1916

Penarol1916

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2004 @ 11:50 AM

My questions were totally different, the first night I had put these words in order and it was US Geological Survey, I don't remember the second that I missed, the second night it was put Sunshine on my Shoulder in order and then put Eeyore, Black Beauty, Paddington, and I forget in the order their books were published, which I missed. The third night I the first questions was to arrange the letters of NATO, while the second was put Newsweek, People, Maxim, and EW in the order of their US debuts.
The fourth night I got all of the questions right and they were easier, I can't even remember them except for the fourth question which was to put Jefferson's political offices in order and the fifth was to put Bernoulli, Hawking, Fermi, and Heideger in order of birth, they seemed to be much easier after the second question.
But, they didn't call me today, so pooh on them.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2004 @ 6:09 AM

I have called three times and my first time was my most successful, but then I biffed the last question. Don't remember them all, but I was ordered to put pop-culture items in order of American debut, put seas in order from Mexico eastward, and rearrange classical composers by birth. I'm still mad at the one I fucked up on: Order these members of the Supreme Court from earliest appointment. (Mixed up William Rehnquist and Thurgood Marshall.)

I fanned on the first Q the next night: Put these states (the four "A" ones, it turns out) from east to west. I put Alaska last and it was wrong; sounds like that devious "those two little islands put Alaska easternmost" cheating crap to me. And tonight, after forming "Band The Drum Slowly," I was told to put four parts of a certain type of whale from front to back. I was like, what the fuck?!

These questions are getting hard! Like, too hard!!

SenatorTCJ

SenatorTCJ

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2004 @ 9:40 PM

I got through all five questions tonight.

The first was a "put these words in the title of a famous movie in order" question.

The second was a "put these people with the same last name in order by birth" question.

The third was a "put these toys in order of the date they were introduced in the US" question.

The fourth was a "put these characters in Charlotte's Web in order by size" question.

The fifth was a "put these royal English houses in order by year" question.

The furthest I had reached before tonight was question three, so I feel pretty lucky.

Philo T Farnsworth

Philo T Farnsworth

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 10:06 AM

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thought the questions were harder. The third question both nights I called was *hard*. I answered all five the second night, picked yesterday's tape date, and didn't get called back.

The rules have been changed to prohibit being in more than one tape pool, so I stopped calling like a good boy and guess I am not going to be a Millionaire anytime soon. Anyone else notice this rules change?

M I B 3 1

M I B 3 1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 10:29 PM

I agree, but we'll see a few more $2.5 mill answers than three. However, I don't expect a $5 mill or even a $10 mill for a while, if ABC is smart and continues this.

And this after seeing the first episode! I won't say anything else right now, since I know the west coast has yet to see it as of the time of this post, but I was just estatic when I saw this series. True to the original spirit of its predecessor, but now with raised stakes. And I have to say that the new lifelines are cool.

(It's also good to see Regis back in the saddle again, and with the old camera pans to boot. Camera pans are cool...)

IMO, we're talking Keanu-Reeves-style "Whoa"-age here.

Edited by M I B 3 1, Feb 23, 2004 @ 12:35 AM.

Trip

Trip

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 10:37 PM

Loved. It. And loved Todd Kim, one of the most fun contestants ever. He just seemed so comfortable up there.

Only minor peeve: I'm pretty sure they never gave face time (with name and city superimposed) to all ten contestants. That would suck, getting onto the show and never getting to be seen.

And how big a trooper is Reege? The man was suffering from food poisoning, and still delivered a great hosting job. The man is a pro.

This is going to be a great week of TV.

Edited by Trip, Feb 23, 2004 @ 11:00 AM.