Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve

• Please log in to reply

209 replies to this topic

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 1:06 PM

Funny, I normally can't stand Jenny McCarthy, but I actually liked drunk Jenny last night. I thought she added just the right amount of over-the-top dorkiness that was appropriate for a New Year's Eve show, and Ryan's calm professionalism balanced out perfectly. I thought the guy Jenny kissed was a doofus saying the kiss "probably a 10" because he should have at least faked liking it by saying "that was a 12!" He didn't seem to be all that enthusiastic, maybe he was trying to be cool, but he could have gone along with the craziness. Plus, he couldn't dance.

I agree about dumping the Hollywood segment, and next year, bring Pitbull back to NY. Fergie can go away forever.

I also must be one of the few people on the planet who despise that song Call Me Maybe and I never want to see Carly Rae Jepsen again.

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

IMO, the LA segment was the best part because of all the live performances. The NY parts were good only because of the ball dropping and Dick Clark memories, I could take or leave Seacrest and McCarthy.

I also must be one of the few people on the planet who despise that song Call Me Maybe and I never want to see Carly Rae Jepsen again.

Trust me, you aren't the only one.

Edited by Talov, Jan 1, 2013 @ 1:08 PM.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

IMO, the LA segment was the best part because of all the live performances. The NY parts were good only because of the ball dropping and Dick Clark memories, I could take or leave Seacrest and McCarthy

I am just the opposite because the entire LA segment looked pre-recorded against the NY segments were all live. Whoever said Fergie was in love with herself is exactly right. She was terrible last night.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 2:08 PM

Wasn't the guy a sailor or something? Just wondering....probably one of those army types...**shrugs**

Has anybody noticed one of those balloon thingies hit Ryan right on the mouth? I just had to rewind that part and say, "Damn...that got to hurt." If I was him, I'll be worried about those things giving me a headache or something.

Edited by RL1, Jan 1, 2013 @ 2:11 PM.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 6:16 PM

Given the complete lack of interaction between the hosts, it's painfully obvious that the LA segments were recorded well in advance, and they add nothing to the show.

Word. I really don't get the point of people partying it up yelling "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" in LA when they are 3 hours behind. I'd be more in favour of either moving it to Miami or scraping the segments all together.

And can someone get Bieber some pants that fit well in the crotch?

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 7:25 PM

Not only should they dump Fergie and Jenny for next year, how about dumping the LA segments altogether? Given the complete lack of interaction between the hosts, it's painfully obvious that the LA segments were recorded well in advance, and they add nothing to the show. At least the concert segments in NYC feel marginally relevant to the proceedings.

Yes. In fact, didn't it say on more than one occasion when they cut to LA, "previously recorded"? At least that's how it showed up here on the West Coast. So why do it? Why can't they fly these stars to New York somewhere, or even Miami as suggested, and put them in a club and cut live to them? I wonder when the performances were recorded. And I wonder if there is a producer that yells "Cut!" and makes the performers do it over, or makes the likely invited dancers to show more enthusiasm. Seems like Fergie always hosts the LA part, I could do with a change.

How is Jenny McCarthy still relevant? So this is her third year doing the show? She just needs to GO. AWAY. "Singled Out" was eons ago, her Playboy appearances are forgotten, and she's now known for creating mass hysteria towards childhood vaccines. I couldn't get past the fact that her forehead never moved when she spoke. And do we really care which schmuck is "lucky" enough to kiss her at midnight? Considering her dating life and she herself (although probably self-deprecatingly) listed about 6 names of guys who didn't pan out for her this year (I noticed there was not a "Brian" for Brian Urlacher), I wouldn't want my mouth anywhere near those lips for fear of getting a cold sore. Surprised a bit that whoever bother to Twitter vote did not make her kiss the ordinary Joe Schmoe.

I thought Taylor sounded pretty good live. I remember she had one completely awful craptastic performance during a duet with one of the country royalty (Reba? Dolly? I don't remember) on an awards show and at that moment I thought she was a completely fake auto-tuned singer. Unless of course they can auto-tune a live performance as well...

Carly Rae Jepsen? You are so over. Didn't seem like anybody in the crowd was the least bit excited to hear you perform.

Psy was fun, although for any of us that saw the AMA's with the Hammer performance, it felt a little bit old as well. Psy had said that he was going to retire Gangnam Style after the Times Square performance, but he didn't make any mention of it when he was interviewed by Ryan. Maybe his English isn't good enough for him to express that well.

It seems like very few people would actually have a good view of the stage and the performances, since the stage seemed to be on a raised platform, and if the performer didn't come to the rails on the side, you'd never see him or her. For the first time ever, and I don't know how this got past me in year's past, I realized that all the major networks have their "spots" in Times Square. It seemed like Ryan had the closest one naturally to the ball, while Anderson and Carson were further down the Square. Since I was flipping around, I noticed that while Carson was interviewing Cassadee Pope, you could hear Psy performing on Ryan's stage in the background.

RoRo

RoRo

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 7:55 PM

They tape the LA part in advance...it's not even happening on New Year's Eve.

Ryan needs to not take himself so seriously. There were points in the show where it seemed the producers asked him to stretch out what he was talking about, and he was so somber. He's in the middle of a giant party and he was hardly excited at all. I also loved when some of the audience members would take the opportunity to swat Ryan with the giant noisemakers they had and he wouldn't react at all. When he started talking about how the confetti had messages to Dick Clark on it, I lost it. I wonder if he knows how ridiculous he sounded.

PShau

PShau

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 9:57 PM

The LA segments have been pre-taped for years -- supposedly a method that Dick Clark himself devised as a money-saving approach. Big-name acts can probably get top dollar when they perform at live venues on New Year's Eve, whereas getting them to come into a studio in, say the middle of September would probably be a lot less expensive. It's only been the last 15 years or so that NYRE and the other network shows have grabbed a few acts to perform live in Times Square, especially since New York cleaned the area up, leading up to the millennium.

I'm going to guess that Dick Clark Productions will keep going with the mixed tape/live method as long as they've got a show.

As for Seacrest, this is what I see: He's a good host...but not much of a personality. Clark, could be both; you could see his enthusiasm with what he was doing. Seacrest is too flat, too monotone. A few funny lines here and there, but you don't always get the sense that he's fired up in any way; he plays it TOO cool.

Someone up the thread made mention of Guy Lombardo, who Dick Clark kind of inherited the "Mr.New Year's Eve" title from. Their eras overlapped a bit in the '70s, until Guy passed away in 1977. (and it may be worth noting, CBS cancelled the Lombardo show in 1980, despite efforts to modernize it by his nephew) But even now, that's the Lombardo recording of Auld Lang Syne you hear pumped out in Times Square...he still has a presence, and so will Dick Clark as long as there are TV shows based there every year. The one thing I wonder though - is there anyone-- Seacrest included-- who's able to take on the "top dog" role anymore? Things are different now... multiple networks have countdown shows, and even the Times Square organizers do their own online streaming show.

For guys like Lombardo and Clark, they were the only game in town for decades. And that's the point; does anyone have that kind of staying power to still be doing this 20, 30, or 40 years from now? I just don't see it.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 1:25 AM

I know that, but, man, without Dick Clark, it almost screams desperate for L.A or something. Plus, I hope Bieber goes away this year and never returns again. **wishful thinking**

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 2:21 AM

As someone who has followed Dick's career from his early Philly days of Bandstand (before it went national), I was extremely disappointed in ABC's "tribute" (first two hours). The clips were totally disjointed. You missed some if you blinked, while others (i.e. Lauper & Madonna) showed their entire performance plus a small interview. The producers of this segment missed a good opportunity to salute every aspect of Dick's career as well as many performances, instead of just the chosen few. Boo.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 4:03 PM

It sounds like most of the people who watched DCRNYE were unhappy with it for one reason or the other, while most of the people who watched Anderson and Kathy on CNN really dug it.

Just sayin'. :)

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

So is Psy officially a one-hit wonder and will retire after this?

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 5:23 PM

It sounds like most of the people who watched DCRNYE were unhappy with it for one reason or the other, while most of the people who watched Anderson and Kathy on CNN really dug it.

Not at all. I really enjoyed Dick Clark's (except for Fergie and Carly Rae Jepsen) and there's NO WAY I would have started off 2013 with memories of Kathy Griffin's face to haunt me.

So is Psy officially a one-hit wonder and will retire after this?

Good for Psy for realizing his 15 minutes are up, at least in America.

Edited by Ohwell, Jan 2, 2013 @ 5:26 PM.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 5:56 PM

I'm of two minds about this. I like Ryan, he seems like a decent guy, is good at what he does, and he most certainly realizes that he's been passed the torch on this event, and loved Dick Clark as a friend and mentor. But.There's just something not there for me. No spark, no warmth. Maybe Ryan needs some years on him, I don't know. But there's also this:I cannot abide most of what passed for "music" on this show Monday night. Maybe this ship sailed for me a long time ago and I need to stick with the MASH reruns on New Year's Eve.
For the record, I DVR'd both this show and Anderson/Kathy. I must be one of the few who think Kathy's hysterical, and she and AC just have this rapport somehow.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 4:57 AM

Thanks to my DVR, I was able to watch both...and agree Coop & Kathy were/are a riot.

snaggle

snaggle

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

The last few years, I flick back and forth between New Year's Rockin' Eve & CNN.

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 3:51 PM

The guy did not seem that enthusiastic to kiss Jenny and especially said, "I think a 10!" And Jenny said, "I thought it was a 11!"

I imagine for that serviceman, kissing Jenny McCarthy was like kissing, if not his mom then his lame, rapidly aging aunt. The one desperately trying to cling to the last vestiges of a youth that faded so long ago.

Either that or like kissing a tupperware container, what with all the plastic and whatnot in McCarthy's face.

Edited by reggiejax, Jan 3, 2013 @ 3:54 PM.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 3:05 AM

Miley Cyrus hitting on a lesbian midget? Ugh. And could Ryan's hair have been moussed any heavier? He looked like Cameron Diaz in There's Something About Mary.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 6:47 AM

Miley Cyrus hitting on a lesbian midget? Ugh. And could Ryan's hair have been moussed any heavier? He looked like Cameron Diaz in There's Something About Mary.

Miley Cyrus hit on Seacrest!?!?!

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 11:15 AM

I thought Miley looked scared shitless preforming!  She kept mentioning that a billion people were watching. She tried to keep it relatively classy (for her), though.

I thought Billy Joel completely blew everyone else away on the show.

Edited by vb68, Jan 1, 2014 @ 11:16 AM.

goldnpuppy

goldnpuppy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 3:07 PM

I thought Miley looked scared shitless preforming!  She kept mentioning that a billion people were watching. She tried to keep it relatively classy (for her), though.

I thought Billy Joel completely blew everyone else away on the show.

i would hardly call grabbing the breasts of the little woman on stage, and licking Ryan's face classy. . She also looked like she was ready to feel herself up, and the pulled away a lot, probably in case she acted the usual trashy thing she is!

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 3:43 PM

Well that's true.  I was just halfway shocked she kept her coat on during wrecking Ball.  That's all.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2014 @ 8:27 PM

I was watching at a friend's home, and the main topic of conversation at one point was:"That's Debbie Harry!"

The other topic was:"When did Billy Joel get older?"

They both classed up the place, though.

Then my friend's son proposed to his girlfriend(bended knee, ring)precisely at midnight, which was also her birthday. We forgot about the little show at that point.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 1:23 AM

Oh, I forgot about Debbie Harry.  It was so good to see her.

Awesome news about your friend's son.  I would have forgotten about the show too.  I'm glad that you got to see some of Billy Joel though, prairiegal.

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 1:56 AM

Skipped some of the Hollywood segments, Did Fergie keep the same expression and pose on her face while handling intros like she did during the whole broadcast like she did last year?

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 12:53 PM

Pretty much. But she did have one nice line that I heard.  She said that after she saw her son for the first time, she could say that big girls do cry.  Aww.

00redsvt

00redsvt

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 2:19 PM

Ferguson grates. Her tough persona and "hard" way of speaking and posturing is so distracting. I did not hear half of what she said, because I was too busy trying to figure out why she was acting like that.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 3:39 PM

Ferguson grates. Her tough persona and "hard" way of speaking and posturing is so distracting. I did not hear half of what she said, because I was too busy trying to figure out why she was acting like that.

I don't know how much it affected her professional name, but legally she's no longer a "Ferguson", last name-wise, or using Stacy as her 1st name.

I read, I'm pretty sure online from a reputable source, that she had her name legally changed to "Fergie Duhamel"--so her legal name now is her nickname/professional 1st name & her married last name (her husband is actor Josh Duhamel, who was in All My Children, Las Vegas with the legendary James Caan, & a ton of movies).

The name change happened either shortly before or shortly after her son with Josh was born this past summer or fall (I think).

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2014 @ 8:40 PM

vb68, I saw Billy Joel live in 1983(!) and I always enjoy seeing him in his natural habitat(NYC). His was the best concert I ever saw..well, up until 2011 and Sir Paul...And yes..all us ladies cried at the proposal(we've known this guy since he was a little boy).

As I said last year, Ryan Seacrest seems like a good guy, and certainly has worked hard to get where he is...but he needs some years on him..he's just so....bland.Or something.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 5:15 PM

Why do they always have Fergie on this segment? It is not relevant anymore...it is pretty tiring.