Stop Sponging off Your Parents' Careers! Nepotism in Hollywood

• Please log in to reply

269 replies to this topic

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

The Gilberts--Melissa, Jonathan, and Sara--were mentioned earlier, but what wasn't mentioned was that Jonathan was on LHOP as well--as Willie Oleson, Nellie's brother. And Michael Landon's daughter Leslie had a role in the show's last season. And his youngest daughter, Jennifer, wound up winning three Emmys for her role on As The World Turns (and she appeared on two of her dad's shows, Highway to Heaven and the pilot Us, before he died).

Speaking of Nellie, Alison Arngrim comes from a showbiz family--her father was an actor, and her mother was a voiceover actress (Gumby, Casper). And her brother, Stefan (who we now know, sadly, through her book, sexually abused her when she was a child) was a child actor as well.

Here are some soap ones:

Kristen and Eddie Alderson on One Life to Live. Kristen joined the show in 1998 as Starr (she was almost seven), and Eddie joined the show as Matthew in 2001--mainly because he was often on set with his mom while his sister was shooting the show. I remember for years people would say that he wasn't anywhere near as good as his sister, but now that they're older, that sentiment seems to have reversed.

The Bell family:

Lauralee (Bill & Lee's daughter, Y&R actress)
Brad (Bill & Lee's son, B&B HW/EP)
Bill Jr. (Bill & Lee's other son, president of the Bell production companies)
Maria Arena Bell (Bill Jr.'s wife, co-HW/EP of Y&R)

OLTL's James & Kassie DePaiva's son, JQ, appeared on AMC in 2007 as a guest on Erica's talk show, as an inspiration for Kendall's son Spike when he went deaf (JQ has a cochlear implant in real life).

Similarly, I read once that Dreama DePaiva (James' daughter with his ex-wife, Hee Haw Honey Misty Rowe) appeared in a play once with her mother.

Father Knows Best's Lauren Chapin has two older brothers: former child actors Michael and Billy Chapin (Billy played the little boy in Night of the Hunter). According to her E!THS, their mother favored Billy over the other kids, especially Lauren, and she would often have Billy torture Lauren on purpose when they were kids (with Billy once locking Lauren in the basement for hours, only letting her out once their mom got home). And to make matters worse, her father sexually abused her as well. I think she and Billy made up later on, though, given how his mother manipulated him growing up.

The Wonder Years had sisters Danica (Winnie) and Crystal (Becky Slater) McKellar, which is hilarious as they look nothing alike (even though they're full siblings).

Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster, Sabrina) and her half-brothers: Meeno Peluce (Voyagers!), and Sean Frye (he was one of the kids' friends in ET).

Lisa Whelchel's youngest daughter, Clancy Cauble, had a small role in The Facts of Life Reunion movie.

Carroll O'Connor and his son Hugh were both on In the Heat of the Night together.

Edited by UseYourIllusion, Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:29 AM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

Speaking of soaps, I just learned that All My Children's Christina Bennett Lind(my favorite Bianca) has a twin sister named Heather who has a role on Boardwalk Empire.

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

Here are two more:

Jeremy and Jason London: Jeremy played Nathan on I'll Fly Away, but when he couldn't take part in the final TV movie, Jason took over for him.

Larry Hagman's daughter Heidi had a role on Archie Bunker's Place (and Larry was lifelong friends with Carroll O'Connor).

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:44 AM

The Wonder Years had sisters Danica (Winnie) and Crystal (Becky Slater) McKellar,

And as I've heard Danica tell (in interviews), they were both originally auditioning for the role of Winnie. The producers liked both of them so the role of Becky Slater was created for the express purpose of hiring both girls.

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

And as I've heard Danica tell (in interviews), they were both originally auditioning for the role of Winnie. The producers liked both of them so the role of Becky Slater was created for the express purpose of hiring both girls.

That's exactly what happened. And I love Becky so I'm glad they did!

Speaking of which:

Fred and Ben Savage: Ben appeared in an episode of The Wonder Years before he was on Boy Meets World.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

And Fred Savage appeared on an episode of Boy Meets World as a professor who hit on Topanga.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

Matt Weiner's creepy little son on Mad Men just overtook Tori Spelling as the patron saint of this thread. He's not "so bad it's hilarious." He's so bad that I'm just embarrassed for him.

I mean, I thought Sofia Coppola was pretty stiff and awkward in the films she "acted" in before realizing she should be on the other side of the camera, but Marten Weiner really took the cake here.

Edited by MethodActor05, Jun 15, 2012 @ 2:46 PM.

MichaelaRae

MichaelaRae

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

Soleil Moon Frye (Punky Brewster, Sabrina) and her half-brothers: Meeno Peluce (Voyagers!), and Sean Frye (he was one of the kids' friends in ET).

Okay, wait. Soleil, Meeno...and SEAN?!?! Man, I can think of two siblings who are pissed and one with a complex.

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Okay, wait. Soleil, Meeno...and SEAN?!?! Man, I can think of two siblings who are pissed and one with a complex.

Soleil and Meeno share the same mother (Sondra Peluce), while she and Sean shared the same father (the late Virgil Frye), so I can see how this happened.

And hey, Soleil named her daughters Poet Sienna Rose and Jagger Joseph Blue (yes, that last one is a girl--a male friend of hers named Joseph had just passed away, and she decided to use the name despite the gender difference). Clearly she loves unique sounding names like her own :).

(For the record, she was named for the Annie Get Your Gun song "I've Got the Sun in the Morning and the Moon at Night"--Soleil is French for sun.)

Another LHOP nepotism alert:

Brothers Matthew (Albert) and Patrick (Andy Garvey) Labyorteaux.

Edited by UseYourIllusion, Jun 19, 2012 @ 7:09 AM.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

Jilly Clayburgh (R.I.P.)'s daughter, Lily Rabe, has seriously been killing it on American Horror Story this year. I'll place this under "nepotism gone great."

Edited by MethodActor05, Dec 14, 2012 @ 4:14 PM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

Yep. She is so Jill Clayburgh's kid, right down to her mannerisms. Lily Rabe was also a theater actress before she really started doing TV. You should see her do Shakespeare. She kills it. That's the only downside to loosing her to American Horror Story but she's really been the best thing about that show for me this season. Other than the always perfect Jessica Lange of course.

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

Mark Harmon's mom was briefly an actress/model and his dad was Tom Harmon. His sister married Ricky Nelson and young Mark turned up on Ozzie and Harriet. His beautiful sister was the Tic Tac girl on commercials.

A case where the offshoot becomes more famous thanks to talent... and looks couldn't hurt.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

And Ricky's daughter was Sister Steve on the Father Dowling Mysteries. Tom Harmon's wife was an actress, Elyse Knox. Mark Harmon is married to Pam Dawber. Kristin Nelson's second husband was Mark Tinker, whom she later divorced.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

I mean, I thought Sofia Coppola was pretty stiff and awkward in the films she "acted" in before realizing she should be on the other side of the camera, but Marten Weiner really took the cake here.

I'm still trying to figure out if the character of Glenn on Mad Men is supposed to be awkward and creepy, or if that's just the only mode Matt Weiner's son has.

Dana Girl

Dana Girl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 17, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

Mark Harmon's mom was briefly an actress/model and his dad was Tom Harmon. His sister married Ricky Nelson and young Mark turned up on Ozzie and Harriet. His beautiful sister was the Tic Tac girl on commercials.

A case where the offshoot becomes more famous thanks to talent... and looks couldn't hurt.

On of Mark Harmon's sons has played a young Gibbs on a few episodes of NCIS.

Back to brother/sister nepotism, I love Tim and Tyne Daly. I also find it funny that Amy Brennerman played Tyne Daly's daughter on "Judging Amy" and Tim Daly's wife on "Private Practice."

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

What about Elizabeth D'onofrio and Vincent, her brother? It's a miracle he hasn't tripped she is so far behind him.

Zyx

Zyx

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

James Cromwell's actor/activist son John Cromwell appeared as his character's younger self in American Horror Story. The resemblance between father and son is extraordinary. John looks like his dad's younger clone. James Cromwell's own parents were a film director and an actress, so John Cromwell is at least 3rd generation Hollywood.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

Wasn't Tori Spelling supposed to be good in "Trick" and "House of Yes"?

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

I actually think Torri Spelling is mediocre, not good or bad. And I think she could be good in 90210 (or at least as good as anyone else was). But yeah, her range isn't huge and she needs the right director. I really liked So NoTORIous and I thought she hit the goofy surreal tone of that show pretty well. Her Lifetime movie period? Not so much. Her slightly over the top instincts seem to work better with comedy than drama.

Ok can we talk about Kate Hudson? I think she's had more than enough time to prove herself as an actress and she sucks. I mean she has been bad in everything since Almost Famous, which I think was a fluke where she just stood around playing herself. We need to stop waiting for her to show her moms comedy chops. She doesn't have them because she's a bad actress!

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

I never saw it. Who's better at playing herself, her or Madonna?

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

I never saw it. Who's better at playing herself, her or Madonna?

In reference to Almost Famous? Kate Hudson. She's mearly a limited actress incapable of playing anything but a manic pixie dream girl. Madonna is one of the most mind boggling bad actress on the planet. She takes bad acting to art.

Edited by fuzzybear, Dec 31, 2012 @ 2:14 PM.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

Madonna can be okay when she can sing her way through a part.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

I didn't realize that Martha Plimpton was the daughter of Keith Carradine.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

I didn't know this either until David Carradine passed away a few years and she spoke about the loss.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

I find Alina Foley, daughter of Dave, to be an absolute delight as Ellie on The League.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 1:04 AM

Wasn't Tori Spelling supposed to be good in "Trick" and "House of Yes"?

I was surprised to like her in both. It's been ages since I've seen House of Yes, but in Trick she plays an enthusiastic but bad actress, so in someways she brings self-awareness and determination to the role.

Edited by Al Funcoot, Jan 1, 2013 @ 1:08 AM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 1:57 PM

All the nepotism involved in making Tori a star was worth it for So NoTORIous.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 2:33 PM

All the nepotism involved in making Tori a star was worth it for So NoTORIous.

Preach. That show was brilliant!
I can't explain it, but I find Torri charming in some odd way. I always just end up kind of liking her, no matter how stupid the project or her life is. I feel the same way about Trump's daughter. Go figure. Maybe they were sent to the same "evil master mind charm camp"

I didn't either for the longest time. In fact as a kid I thought her dad was George Plimpton. Think about it, they kind of look alike!

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 2:33 PM

Funny how she was prettier when she was younger; now it just looks like getting it on with a Jack O'Lantern.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 11:11 PM

I didn't either for the longest time. In fact as a kid I thought her dad was George Plimpton. Think about it, they kind of look alike!

Well he is a distant cousin of Martha's mother.

I can't explain it, but I find Torri charming in some odd way. I always just end up kind of liking her, no matter how stupid the project or her life is

I was turned off her because she used to do interviews about how she didn't get 90210 because of her father because she gave them a fake name when she auditioned. I don't mind nepotism too much in Hollywood because there is a bit of ending up in similiar fields to the people you know, particularly family, and long term your career will florurish or flounder based on your talent not the person with the longest coat tails. But, it bugs me when those people pretend that they didn't have an edge, unrelated to actual talent, over the competition.

Edited by ParadoxLost, Jan 4, 2013 @ 8:35 PM.