Stop Sponging off Your Parents' Careers! Nepotism in Hollywood

• Please log in to reply

269 replies to this topic

Tiramisu1980

Tiramisu1980

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 1:53 AM

Does Jim Belushi count in this thread? Personally, his brother John is spinning in his grave over the incompetence of his bastard brother.

whycantispeak

whycantispeak

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 2:17 AM

Jim Belushi definately is the world champion of criminally untalented siblings/relatives. My hate for him increases whenever I read a story where he cops an attitude about people thinking he sucks. You do suck jackass!
Why does the talented brother have to die young while the jerkoff younger brother lives to suck on and on into the future?

And then there are the usual suspects:
Melissa Rivers
Tori Spelling
Marlon and Shawn Wayans
Ashlee Simpson
Billy, Stephen and Daniel Baldwin
Jack, Sharon and especially
Kelly Osborne - my hatred for Kelly knows no bounds. She is just a fat, ugly, untalented little whiner. Talks too much shit and can't handle when it inevitably and deservedly comes back at her. I also just hate how the press is so afraid of Sharon that no one dares be critical of Kelly. That and we get all these photo spreads in magazines like US and EW that are supposed to make us believe Kelly is hot. Gimme a break. But maybe I shouldn't be too hard. She is the unfortunate young lady who has to go through life looking like Ozzy Osbourne would, if he were a teenage girl.

Zivra

Zivra

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 3:28 AM

Donít hit me, but Iíve given Melissa Rivers a lifetime pass. I will never forget watching an episode of Joanís talk show (early 90ís? Pre-Melissa fame, anyway) where Joan spent a good five minutes telling f-ing Vanilla Ice all about the huuuge crush her daughter had on him, and then proceeded to get the poor girl on the phone and torture her some more. I really donít think Melissa ever had a chance at a normal life; I bet she always wanted to be a podiatrist or something.

Edited by Zivra, Feb 13, 2005 @ 3:29 AM.

Elementalist

Elementalist

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 6:09 AM

I have to say that I found Liza Minelli incredibly entertaining as vertigo-afflicted Lucillle II in Arrested Development. The way she did her vertigo walks cracked my shit up.

Eric Roberts is brother to Julia Roberts? Never knew that.

Edited by Elementalist, Feb 13, 2005 @ 6:09 AM.

lizzy

lizzy

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 7:24 AM

Probably only for any Australians on the board, don't know if this counts (them being sisters) but Antonia Kidman. Only on TV because of Nicole. Has had about 4 shows and all of them have sucked.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 11:38 AM

What about Arthel Neville, who keeps mentioning the Neville Brothers all the time on Good Day Live? Or does that not count, because they were singers and she's trying to make it as a TV personality?

Knee High Boots

Knee High Boots

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 11:51 AM

whycantispeak: She is the unfortunate young lady who has to go through life looking like Ozzy Osbourne would, if he were a teenage girl.

Amen and HA! I thought I was the only person who thought Kelly looked just like him. That is unfortunate, especially because her sister is attractive and, of course, not at all Ozzy-ish in the face. Kelly's big "Daddy" tattoo on her arm isn't scoring any points with me, either.

I hate that she got the life as we know it gig with absolutely zero acting experience and/or background when there are God knows how many actresses who have been working hard in the industry and auditioning for roles who will not get that kind of break. She needs to take her ugly tattooed feet stuffed into tiny heels and go far, far away.

Edited by Knee High Boots, Feb 13, 2005 @ 12:33 PM.

Philip Carey

Philip Carey

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2005 @ 11:39 PM

THEFT! Kind of!
I hate that Oliver Hudson got the The Mountain gig with absolutely zero acting talent and/or ability when there are God knows how many actors who have been working hard in the industry and auditioning for roles who will not get that kind of break.

Also, Jamie Lynn Spears. The sad thing here is that she's probably ten times more talented than her big sis' (as an actress, singer, dancer, human being)
How sad is that? How sad?

Edited by Philip Carey, Feb 21, 2005 @ 12:14 AM.

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2005 @ 2:01 AM

Going way back, Dick Van Dyke foisted his woefully untalented brother Jerry upon us on The Dick Van Dyke Show. And Lucille Ball did everything she possibly could to shove her two kids, Luci and Desi, Jr. down our throats. Desi, Jr. was a handsome kid, but couldn't act or sing worth a damn.

On the good nepotism side, there's Sean Astin, son of Patty Duke and John Astin. I read someplace that Patty Duke was appalled when Sean told her he wanted to go into show biz, largely because she had been so horribly exploited and miserable as a child star. But she relented and gave him her blessing when she realized that he was mature and well-grounded enough to handle the pressue without going off the deep end. Looks like she was right. The kid's a class act, like his mother.

Shnuglet

Shnuglet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2005 @ 4:19 PM

We got Rick Nelson (RIP), son of Oxzzie and Harriet, which wasn't a bad thing, and David Cassidy (son of Jack), who some might think was a bad thing, but I didn't when I was 11 and I think he's pretty hot today, so there! But then we got stuck with Shaun Cassidy (son of Shirley Jones and Jack Cassidy), who was far too girly and couldn't sing worth a damn.

Marlo Thomas, daughter of Danny, was good; That Girl is a classic, and Chris Elliot, son of Bob (hm, or is it Ray?), is pretty funny. Did you guys know that Larry Hagman is Mary Martin's son? I just lurve I Dream of Jeannie, his tour de force.

Anderson Cooper, CNN guy, is quite a dip. He's jeans queen Gloria Vanderbilt's son. I've wondered whether Jules Asner, host of that vacuous talk show Life & Style, is the daughter of Ed Asner, because she is a moron and I'd be mortified for poor Ed if she is related to him in any way.

VTDuchess

VTDuchess

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 14, 2005 @ 4:39 PM

I've wondered whether Jules Asner, host of that vacuous talk show Life & Style, is the daughter of Ed Asner, because she is a moron and I'd be mortified for poor Ed if she is related to him in any way.

Before she married the master director of such fare as Oceans 12, Jules Asner was married to Ed Asner's son. So she's sponging off a former connection to poor Ed Asner.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2005 @ 4:40 PM

I can't watch JoA whenever Haley Duff is on it. It must be sad riding your baby sisters coat tails. I actually saw her (with her sister of course) in a Brabie comercial. What is she like 20? Heh heh.

Sliders started to suck a little bit more with Jerry O'Connel's brother on it.

As for some good nepotism. Darkness! aka Charlie Murphy. These days I find him more entertaining then his brother.

mightymos

mightymos

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2005 @ 4:58 PM

When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of Tracee Ellis Ross of Girlfriends. Her mother is Diana Ross and she took her mother's name when she started acting. It wouldn't be so bad if Ellis was her father's last name but it's like Silberstein or something like that. It just seems so obvious that she wanted the boost from her mom's name.
I have nothing against her but that was so blatant and has always irked me.

Edited by mightymos, Feb 14, 2005 @ 4:59 PM.

gemini617

gemini617

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2005 @ 5:13 PM

Compared to most of the people on this thread, Liza with a Z just keeps looking better and better. Come on, she's so funny on Arrested Development! And, having a quarter of Judy Garland's talent is still a lot. Even if she does bear an unfortunate resemblance to her dad. Who has a an uncanny resemblance (in looks and rumors of homosexuality) to her ex husband. That's just a Gordian knot of mental problems that I just don't want to get into. But, damn she's hilarious on Arrested Development! Falling down is comedy gold.

I never knew that about Anderson. I blame Channel One, but I have a crush on him. Yes, I know he's not interested in my type. That being female. He was really funny on ABC's overnight news with Alison Stewart. I like people who are goofballs like me.

dorabelle

dorabelle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2005 @ 7:50 PM

I never knew that about Anderson. ... but I have a crush on him. Yes, I know he's not interested in my type.

Yeah, mine either!, but I love him too. I even loved him as the host of The Mole; just so deliciously snarky. And his tsunami reporting for CNN was among the best and most moving I've seen.

I do respect his mother, as not only did she have a horrific childhood, had to deal with the grief of losing her (second?) husband when he was still fairly young, and the sorrow of her son's suicide (Anderson's twin, I believe? Or they may just have been very close in age). The fact that she hauled herself up and became somewhat of a fashion icon, albeit briefly, with her jeans line, is sort of inspirational, especially because she came from an era and a class where a lady was only supposed to get her name in the paper three times: birth, marriage, and death.

marxfan

marxfan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 9:29 AM

Love this thread! I, too, am sick of all these mediocre, marginally talented Hollywood brats who only get where they are by riding on their famous relative's coattails. Now, there have been some who truly talented ones who truly have a passion for acting (Isabellla Rossellini comes to mind). Still, here are some who I think represent nepotism to a T:

Ashlee Simpson: From what I've read, as soon as Jessica became a singer, Ashlee suddenly wanted to be a dancer. Then she wanted to be an actress. Then Newlyweds comes along and while Jessica's busy becoming America's Bimbo (I mean, Sweetheart), Ashlee then decides to become a singer. She never seems to have an aching desire to persue these things, but rather do them to either upstage big sis or just because she could. Thank God for that whole lip-syncing thing, because now we hear less of her. Just so you know, I'm no fan of Jessica's either. I don't care if I never see these two B-rate "singers" ever again.

Kate Hudson: I love her red carpet style, but that's it. Other than that, Kate has none, none, of Goldie Hawn's comic flair or star quality. Plus, Goldie's movies are waaaay better, IMO.

Eva Amurri: For those who don't know, she's Susan Sarandon's daughter and was in Saved!. That's the only thing I've seen her in, and I already believe her mom will always outshine her (which isn't such a bad thing).

I feel guilty picking on the girls. Does anyone know any more men in Hollywood who are guilty of nepotism?

LizzieAnne

LizzieAnne

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 10:45 AM

Someone mentioned Peter DeLuise a while back - he's on Stargate SG-1. In fact, that whole franchise is full of DeLuises in writing, directing, and acting.

Some of the stars' kids are going to be good; they've inherited talent. Some of them are idiot hacks. It just bothers me that it must be very, very hard for an ordinary person with no connection to break into that industry. It seems like the MAJORITY of new actors today are related to someone.

I know it's a movie, but I saw it on TV: Sofia Coppola.

defiant

defiant

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 10:53 AM

I thought I heard they are planning on bringing Jerry O'Connell's brother on to Crossing Jordan. Sounds like the show is going to go further down hill.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 11:05 AM

I thought I heard they are planning on bringing Jerry O'Connell's brother on to Crossing Jordan.

They're bringing him to "The Bachelor" as the next bachelor. Which is not a good thing.

Shnuglet

Shnuglet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 11:18 AM

I've got to work on thinking of some bad examples, since that's so much more fun, but Mariska Hargitay, daughter of Jayne Mansfield and (was he a boxer?) Mickey Hargitay, is really very good on Law & Order: SVU. And her recent Golden Globe award acceptance speech was quite touching. I suppose the fact that her more-famous parent was long dead by the time she got old enough to try acting might have made a difference.

mrstulip

mrstulip

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 1:53 PM

mightymos, apparently Tracee Ellis Ross has always used her mother's name. She dated a friend of mine when they were both at Brown University and he knew her as TER then.

Edited by mrstulip, Feb 15, 2005 @ 1:53 PM.

gemini617

gemini617

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2005 @ 4:53 PM

Mickey Harigtay was a competitive weightlifter, IIRC. I think Mariska works because not a lot of people knew who her mom was. Also, she never tried to cash in on her mom's bombshell image. I'm looking at you, Kate Hudson. Mariska's got some nice boobs, but they're not natural 40's like her mother. If she had tried to go that route, it would have been disappointment all around.

I give you the Gen Y Baldwins, the Brothers Masterson. Perhaps it's bitterness over the Hyde/Jackie hookup, but I'm feeling a lot of hate right now.

Hanna-Reetta

Hanna-Reetta

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2005 @ 4:23 AM

On Felicity, they had Greg Grunberg's brother playing Sean's brother. It was nice, since they looked so similar. They could have been twins. However, it was a very small role, so I can't say much about the bro's acting talent.

I think all of the Osbournes qualify, apart from Ozzy. Sharon may be the manager, but she seems much more attention-hogging than the kids. What about that "show" of hers? Blech.

Randy and Tori Spelling: yeah, didn't Randy play Steve Sanders' little brother or something? It was such a forced role. I think when you have a teen show and you need a second generation of teens, it's time to stop. Tori is indeed odd-looking and not especially talented. In the first seasons with the blond hair, she was still OK, but after the dark dye and the anorexia, it got much worse. I do feel sorry for her bc of the eating disorder, but it's hard to like her just for that reason.

I, too, like Jason Ritter on JoA. It doesn't bug me that he's John Ritter's son, but then I haven't seen any of John Ritter's work, so I wouldn't be able to tell if there are similarities. (Yeah, we didn't get Three's Company. I hear it sucked big time.) Jason's role isn't the easiest one - the teen in a wheelchair who isn't a complete victim but actually has a personality too. He's great.

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2005 @ 10:05 AM

I hear Ron Howard's daughter, whatever her name is, is on her way to become the next Kate Hudson. She's going to replace Nicole Kidman in Dogville's sequel.

Bryce Dallas Howard. Who did a good job in The Village. And it doesn't hurt that she's incredibly attractive.

But the poor thing as far as dating goes. How awkward would it be to have Opie as your Father In Law?

Edited by Hannibal Khan, Feb 16, 2005 @ 10:05 AM.

18matt

18matt

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2005 @ 1:16 PM

Eva Amurri: For those who don't know, she's Susan Sarandon's daughter and was in Saved!. That's the only thing I've seen her in, and I already believe her mom will always outshine her (which isn't such a bad thing).

She played Susan Sarandon's daughter in The Banger Sisters, and her Days of Our Lives costar when she guest starred on friends (playing, again, her daughter. Actually, Eva was playing the actress who played the daughter SS's character on DOOL on Friends. That's not confusing.) So yeah, she tends to only get work through her mom.

Penthilisea

Penthilisea

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2005 @ 2:00 PM

Ok I loved the DeLuise's guys in Gilmore Girls, and Seaquest DSV.

And Charlie Oconnel? Is hotter then his brother and was in cruel intentions.

Ok THIS is weird- I just googled Charlie O'C. On imdb- apperantly he guest starred on Sliders WAYYYYY before he joined that cast- in 1996. Didin';t join the cast till 1998 when if was on Sci fi I believe.

DesiChick88

DesiChick88

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2005 @ 2:45 PM

How about Lil' Romeo, Master P's son? He has his own show, Romeo, on Nickelodeon. He sucks, but I still think he's adorable.

chortle

chortle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2005 @ 5:46 PM

The queen of this catagory has to be Candice Bergen. Sometimes I wonder if she isn't really Mortimer Snerd's daughter.

jmr

jmr

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2005 @ 4:18 AM

I agree that Tori Spelling probably owns this thread; however, with its being time for The Shield to start up next month, I had to nominate two of the most talentless hacks in the business: Autumn Chiklis and Cathy Cahlin Ryan.

While it's a bummer to snark on the former since she's only a child, give it up! As for the latter, the only reason she's even on the show is because her husband created it and is the executive producer. Neither can act one iota; and while I love the show, it does drag it down a bit.

Penthilisea

Penthilisea

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2005 @ 9:49 AM

News! Charlie O Connel is the next batchelor?
http://story.news.ya...tv_bachelorette

" A new season of "The Bachelor" with actor Charlie O'Connell (brother to Jerry) premieres March 28 on ABC"

Hmmm- no one even knows his name iwthout the reference but me I guess. Plus? Charlie O Connel? Super average name- must be thousands of em out there.