ANTM & The Media: The Cover of Elle and Beyond

• Please log in to reply

1639 replies to this topic

Sentosa

Sentosa

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

She wasn't suing for representation, she was suing for the money she was owed.

She was not working because they weren't trying to get her appropriate work for her body type, they were ordering (and waiting for) her to get her hips down to 90 cm so she could model couture on the runway. Why would any model want to be represented by such incompetent people?

You're right, it doesn't speak to bigger changes in the industry, it's just an underdog story in which someone fought for and won what was rightfully hers. If anything, contracts are going to get tighter, so it's not a victory in the broader sense. Models aren't going to get fatter or anything, so you don't need to worry about that. However, it was unfair of Elite to rescind the contract without lawful cause and breach their contractual duties, and as such, the victory is that justice has been done.

I just object to people rising to the bait of sensationalist reporting, unfairly criticising a woman for exercising her legal rights, in order to defend an imperfect industry.

nicenessness

nicenessness

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Quotes:

I have always maintained that she should be paid her prize money.

yes, she had contractual rights according to what she won from the show (I agree with that)

There is no clearer way for me to state the above. However, the original link (before the verdict came in) did not make clear that the agency owed her the money. It didn't show any proof of WHO owed her the money. I never said that she didn't deserve her prize money. I just didn't think that the agency owed it to her. Apparently, it was proven that somehow, they did.

Also, I didn't bring her measurements into this all willy-nilly. They were referenced in both articles. (And then you defended her measurements here.) She let her body go. That was her fault. I don't believe for a second that the agency didn't send her out to castings that she actually qualified for. What would the agency stand to gain by not having a model working? It makes no logical sense. I don't care one way or the other if sample size is a size 2 or a size 12. Doesn't matter to me. What I have an issue with is people who whine about not being able to find work when they fall outside of the standard. I would feel the same way if sample size were a size 14 and there was a size 10 model complaining.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Cut out the personal attacks (which I've edited out). Also this topic is only BARELY related to ANTM, so let's drop it. This isn't a forum to discuss the fashion industry in general or foreign versions of ANTM in great detail.

ZiegMan

ZiegMan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:34 AM

I guess I'll post this here:
Nigel Barker and the Jays are fired.

But they kept Kelly, that'll go over well with the (few) fans left. :P

slensam

slensam

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:38 AM

Well I guess my decision to quit this show after this season is turning out to be a correct one!

Mel Issa

Mel Issa

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:29 AM

Anyone else see this? http://www.aceshowbi...w/00049847.html

Don't know if I can get on board a cycle without Nigel or the Jays!

boltcat

boltcat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:02 AM

I have no problem living without Nigel, but I'm not sure about the Jays. Even though Miss J acts silly, but s/he actually gives some useful advices on runway and criticizing photos. Mr.Jay have some rough time with some of the hamsters on set and something borderline sabotaging them (see Alexandria and C3 Ann), but I think that most of the time he can be very helpful. Nigel? just a Tyra pet and do what she said to him, even eliminates my favorite with horrible excuses like forgetable, boring, and not respecting him, whatever. So, yeah, Nigel out is a relieve for me.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

I guess I'll post this here:
Nigel Barker and the Jays are fired.

But they kept Kelly, that'll go over well with the (few) fans left. :P

Little did I know how right I was to finally quit this mess.

tommie

tommie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

Well, good luck Tyra, but I'm guessing that the next season will dip under a million viewers on a regular basis.

Annie B

Annie B

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Have you all seen this? Tyra fires Nigel and the Js.

That's it, I'm done. Cycle 18 has been near-unwatchable, and if I'm not going to get my Miss J hit or get to look at Nigel, there's nothing left for me.

Saintz

Saintz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

Well, I think this is great news. I never thought they would give the boot to Nigel and Mr. Jay but I'M HAPPY and excited about it. I do like Ms. Jay though. Ironically I never liked him as a judge but after he was first demoted, I suddenly started missing him at panel.

Im glad they are looking to shake the things up because the show has become stale but I'm not sure adding a fashion blogger is a good idea. Unless they add Tom and Lorenzo because they're awesome.

Sentosa

Sentosa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

Tyra fires Nigel and the Js.

Get fucked, Tyra. I'm done.

Sentosa

Sentosa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

I only wish my not-watching Cycle 19 would have some kind of impact, but alas, I watch online from the UK. I cannot imagine why they would do this, unless Nigel, J. and Jay are all so ashamed to be a part of this shitshow they begged to be let go. I hope Cuntrone's career dies with ANTM.

morakot

morakot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

For me, Miss J has become somewhat useless over the last few cycles and I won't miss him much, but Nigel and Jay have been the voice of (relative) sanity on this show. I guess this frees up my Wednesday nights!

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Not surprised at the departures either just annoyed we have to put up with Cutrone. Considering the ratings have been going down and this current cycle is especially bad, I'd be surprised if Tyra makes it to C20 regardless of them casting for it.

The Jays and Nigel especially, have benefitted from being on this show to some extent. And agree, will not miss Nigel at all. Miss Jay was wasted and Mr. Jay was better during the first couple of cycles although it was always interesting to know that he and Tyra usually had different takes on things (his usually being more accurate than Tyra's).

Nina

Nina

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

I don't really care much about Nigel, but I will miss Jay Manuel and J. Alexander. Actually, I haven't been tuning into this trainwreck Cycle 18 anyway, but still.

Tyra, just let it die already. There is no way you can ever bring back the past glory and beerweaves of the first few seasons.

OnceSane

OnceSane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

Tyra fires Nigel and the Js.

Goodbye, Tyra. You just fired the most interesting part of your crappy show. And Kelly's returning? Yeah, bye.

sereion

sereion

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Nigel and the two Jays, gone? That's it. I'm done with this show.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

I thought they were leaving on their own but if they were fired, I think it's funny that Tyra would get rid of the folks who aren't really the problem with the show. Of course she can't fire herself so there's that. Good luck with Cutrone there.

They want more of a blog/web presence so they want the likes of Bryan Boy? Oh, goodie.

Edited by milkyaqua, Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:39 PM.

Mrs Joe

Mrs Joe

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Regarding Tyra firing Nigel and the Jays-

It's like Tyra is doing everything she possibly can to kill the show, yet it just won't die. Someone please find a way to put it, and all the loyal viewers who still watch it (or half-watch like me), out of our collective misery

You are a genius! This would explain so much of the last few seasons. Maybe she can't get out of the show unless ratings fall below a certain level?? She is "Major League"ing the show. In this episode alone, the booty tooch shoot and Seymone praise alone are enough to prove your theory.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Regarding Tyra firing Nigel and the Jays-

It's like Tyra is doing everything she possibly can to kill the show, yet it just won't die. Someone please find a way to put it, and all the loyal viewers who still watch it (or half-watch like me), out of our collective misery.

I don't know. I'm really not gonna miss Nigel. Aside from the photoshoots where he's the one shooting, he's really pretty useless. And he's caused the ousters of several great girls just because he didn't "remember" shooting them even though their photos still came out better than at least a few other girls' (Dominique both times and Esther, to name a couple). And Jay will be fine, I think. He never really says anything useful during the photoshoots on this version, but at least he has Canada's version (on which I hear he's actually useful) to fall back on.

Ms. J.'s the only one I'm worried about. I don't know if there's anything he'll have to do outside of ANTM. But really, he hasn't been runway coaching in a while now, so at the same time . . . is he really that much of a loss?

But since I actually like Kelly (and fully took her side against that spoiled brat, Louise, several weeks ago), I'm thrilled she'll be back for cycle nineteen.

Evs

Evs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

You are a genius! This would explain so much of the last few seasons. Maybe she can't get out of the show unless ratings fall below a certain level?? She is "Major League"ing the show. In this episode alone, the booty tooch shoot and Seymone praise alone are enough to prove your theory.

Thanks. I was wondering if she had a contract through season 20, or something like that, that she is trying to get out of. I am too lazy to try to research it. "Major League"ing it is a great way to describe what I was thinking. I love that movie (along with ML 2)!

Of course I could be completely wrong. Maybe success has gone to her head and she thinks people enjoy all this self-promotion and that she doesn't need Nigel and the Jays to be successful. I hope not. I think I prefer my first theory.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

I agree that Nigel is useless when his little brain doesn't fancy a girl AND she has the nerve to not try and flirt or be friendly with him. But he more than the other two benefitted the most from this show. He's actually gotten work that I doubt he would have had he not been a part of this. Also, he almost always would side with Tyra when push came to shove. Mr. Jay was fine in the earlier cycles and will be fine as he has a cosmetic line and a clothing line and actually was a respected make-up artist before this. Miss Jay will probably be okay as well.

None of these three was the problem with this show however. That would be Tyra. As for Cutrone, I find her useless. She's a publicist and the odds of her being directly involved with casting models is probably fairly remote.

Evs

Evs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

I don't know. I'm really not gonna miss Nigel. Aside from the photoshoots where he's the one shooting, he's really pretty useless. And he's caused the ousters of several great girls just because he didn't "remember" shooting them even though their photos still came out better than at least a few other girls' (Dominique both times and Esther, to name a couple). And Jay will be fine, I think. He never really says anything useful during the photoshoots on this version, but at least he has Canada's version (on which I hear he's actually useful) to fall back on.

Ms. J.'s the only one I'm worried about. I don't know if there's anything he'll have to do outside of ANTM. But really, he hasn't been runway coaching in a while now, so at the same time . . . is he really that much of a loss?

But since I actually like Kelly (and fully took her side against that spoiled brat, Louise, several weeks ago), I'm thrilled she'll be back for cycle nineteen.

I understand what you are saying, but they are staples of the show. Letting them go now isn't going to help the show improve.

One last theory: Budget Cuts. She is letting them go to save money since the ratings have probably declined. Maybe if she ditched the pot ledom and the bootie touch, the ratings would improve enough to keep her loyal coworkers.

Edited by Evs, Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:53 PM.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

Not doubt about it; the ratings have definitely declined. True, this show is an older one and that could be expected but really, the highest an epi of this cycle has gotten is 1.38 million and the lowest 1.01 million.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

I understand what you are saying, but they are staples of the show. Letting them go now isn't going to help the show improve.

The show moved on just fine when Janice, Nole, and Twiggy all left. It can move on just fine when they leave, too.

BlueFlamingo

BlueFlamingo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

At this point, I don't think ANTM will ever die. Ratings are decent by CW's standards, and they can sell completed seasons to other networks and countries for syndication.

Tyra's continued commitment baffles me. She's been seemingly over the show for the past seven seasons, and yet keeps coming back. Closeted masochist?

jeromycraig

jeromycraig

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

I'm really going to miss seeing Nigel's barely-masked humiliation at having to pretend to take things like "booty tooch" and "dookie tooch" and "I AM TOOKIE" seriously at panel.

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

I think she'll hang it up when they hit C20. Tyra seems to like milestones. I think as over it as she is, she'll want to reach the 20 mark even while seemingly making the show as pointless and trashy as possible for her own amusement.

noluvnoluck

noluvnoluck

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

I just read this on another blog and rushed right over here. My heart dropped. I'd rather they get rid of TYRA. I could probably handle one of them leaving but ALL? No ma'am Miss Pam.