ANTM & The Media: The Cover of Elle and Beyond

• Please log in to reply

1639 replies to this topic

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:06 PM

The January 10-16 issue of TV Guide has an article on the new season of ANTM. There are also two smaller side articles: one on Adrianne Curry and one on Janice Dickinson.

There's isn't much in the article that hasn't been reported already. Since winning ANTM, Adrianne Curry has done print ads for Merit Diamond and macy's and photo shoots for In Style and Lucky magazines. Tyra says this new season's girls are more competitive. The new season's judges are sometimes cattier than the contestants.

A choice quote from Janice Dickinson: When asked why she preferred skinny Elyse over plus-sized Robin last season, Janice replies, "You have to be waiflike to be a model in today's world. When Robin was standing next to Elyse, I wanted to throw up."

Good to see that Janice is still a bitch.

sharina

sharina

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 9:34 PM

In the new US Weekly (with Britney on the cover), they give it 3 out of four stars and make it their "Pick of the week."

But the real story is that there is a picture of Shandi from an Adam & Eve style photoshoot on the show and you can totally see the guy's balls.

clp

clp

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 3:38 PM

Here is the picture sharina mentioned.

US Weekly is supposedly furious with UPN, as they provided the picture.

Page Six has a blurb;

A network rep said, "It's been busy around here and apparently someone took their eye off the ball."

What, do none of the editors at US have eyes??? I don't care where they got the picture, that ball swinging in the breeze is hard to miss.

Edited by clp, Jan 10, 2004 @ 3:38 PM.

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:49 AM

I want to see the new ANTP, but I live in a city where UPN isn't a real channel.

When I went to Minnesota last summer they aired late night ANTM reruns on their CBS affiliate. (I'm guessing CBS owns UPN.) I hope that might help some.

I have an US Weekly subscription and loved the fact that they were too lazy and stupid to not edit out the obvious. Haha eye off the ball indeed!

Ember

Ember

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:49 AM

Hee hee. Maybe they were too fixated on Shandi's extremely thin frame, and her caterpillar like eyelashes. Though it is hard to miss his balls.

Exotic Mushroom

Exotic Mushroom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:51 AM

The new group is diverse, and includes a plus-sized model...

I'm feeling a little dim. I keep looking at the profiles, and I can't figure out which one of the girls is the plus sized model. Anna looks the heaviest in the group photo, and she and Bethany weigh the most for their height of all the girls, but they both look as thin as any of the others in her photo gallery shots. And neither of them look like they could possibly wear an 8, which I'm pretty sure is the minimum for a plus sized model. Also, both of them are 5'8", which is too short for plus sized modeling (although I guess ANTM probably isn't too concerned with that). Any theories?

Ember

Ember

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 2:07 AM

both of them are 5'8", which is too short for plus sized modeling

I understand that 5'8" is the lower end for height as a plus sized model.

Edited by Ember, Jan 11, 2004 @ 2:11 AM.

Exotic Mushroom

Exotic Mushroom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 2:18 AM

With a few exceptions, it's the lower end for height as a regular model. Plus sized girls need to be taller.

There doesn't seem to be a general season 2 topic. Should we start one?

Ember

Ember

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 3:14 PM

Exotic, I've answered you in the Meet Market, since it didn't seem appropriate here.

Heathen

Heathen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:10 PM

Re: the stray ball in "Us Weekly," i think it might've been the head of his penis.

Sheherazade

Sheherazade

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 12:51 AM

I think so too. It looks a little too low to be one of his balls, which would be higher up.

clp

clp

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 1:37 AM

I think y'all are right - but damn how blind are the people at US Weekly & UPN?? That thing is just screaming "Look at me! Look at me!"

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:35 AM

No, that's not his cock, that's his testicle. Unless he was aroused at the time I doubt his dick would hang lower than his scrotum, and considering the angle, there would be no way to hide his ball ... my God, why the hell am I talking about this?

pistachio

pistachio

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 1:45 PM

Shandi's frame looks perfect for the waif-like model look, but damn, she's even more flat-chested than Elyse. She can look good tho, when they cover those dumbo ears of hers.

Sylph

Sylph

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 4:31 PM

One review for the series can be found here. There will be a lot to snark on tomorrow.

Edited by Sylph, Jan 12, 2004 @ 4:32 PM.

bellemmers

bellemmers

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:38 AM

OK, I don't watch the show, nor have I seen the whole photo spread in US Weekly -- I just found my way over here because the Dangling Ball picture made its way into the latest pixel challenge.

Question: is it just me, or is it a crappy picture even beyond that? I don't usually notice stuff like this, but if you look, the lighting on her right leg is just hideous. There's so much of a glare you can barely see her leg at all. And right at the top you can see a black canvas square that looks like it's part of the photographer's equipment that nobody bothered to cover up. Not to mention the fact that the apple is purple.

Add that to the missing ball-check on the photographer's part, and it seems like they just had some guy off the street snapping pictures. Why, if you're promoting a series about MODELS, would you not spend the money and get a real photographer?!

ColdGreg

ColdGreg

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:19 AM

You're absolutely right about the photo, bellemmers. Which is why I think it's a still a UPN promotional photographer took of the process, rather than a shot by the actual fashion photographer. I bet the real shot is angled so the man part (heh) isn't even in it. Especially based on the lighting.

Diabetic Envy

Diabetic Envy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 3:00 PM

I surprised none of you have posted this..... anyways Tyra was on Late Night With Conan O' Brian promoting herself, she's about to drop a single and launch her music career, and the show. She mentioned an interesting tidbit about this season, it's a spoiler so I'll put in in tags Apparantly in one of the upcoming episodes there will be an orgy between four of the girls in the house and four guys.

pistachio

pistachio

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 3:07 PM

re: the above spoiler.

I would have loved to see Shannons reaction to that. I can hear the 'Oh mah Word! now.

lexualhealing

lexualhealing

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:51 PM

Last night was a winner in the ratings. From Mediaweek's Programming Insider:

-Yesterday's Winners:
Navy NCIS (CBS), The Simple Life (Fox), America's Next Top Model (UPN), Law & Order: SVU (NBC)

-Honorable Mention:
Happy Family (NBC), Judging Amy (CBS)

-Yesterday's Losers:
Tracy Morgan (NBC), Movie: Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me R (WB), Line Of Fire (ABC)

-The First to Go On America's Next Top Model:
24 year-old Anna Bradfield, who thought posing nude would tarnish her image as a mother. Let's be thankful that the judges, particularly the bitter Janice Dickinson, are not asked to take it off.

-Ratings Breakdown:
In notably positive news for UPN, the season opening episode of the addictive America's Next Top Model was on the board with a solid (and fifth place) 4.9/ 7 at 9 p.m. in the overnights. Comparably, Next Top Model was up 48 percent from lead-in All Of Us (#5: 3.3/ 5) and 44 percent above the second hour of repeat theatrical Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me on the WB (#6: 3.4/ 5, overall 3.2/ 5 from 8-10 p.m.). With growth of 23 percent in the second half-hour (4.4/ 6 to 5.4/ 8), the reality series climbed to the number four spot at 9:30 p.m., inching past a repeat of ABC's Less Than Perfect (#5: 5.3/ 8) by one-tenth of a rating point in the overnights.

Among adults 18-49, and based on the fast affiliate ratings, Next Top Model also came in fifth with a 2.2/ 6 -- 57 percent above lead-in All Of Us (1.4/ 4) and 47 percent above the Austin Powers repeat on the WB
Considering the first edition of the must-see Top Model debuted at a 2.9/ 4 in the overnights on May 20, 2003 the increase of 75 percent last night means that the bubbly must be flowing at UPN this morning. Hell, maybe even sourpuss Janice Dickinson is even smiling.

Earlier in the evening, UPN's One On One notched a typically last place 3.0/5 at 8 p.m.

NotPaula

NotPaula

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 3:38 PM

This just in .... Contains information about upcoming episodes.

ANTM Article in NYPost's PageSix

MandolinViola

MandolinViola

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 4:23 PM

Thanks, NotPaula. Very interesting article. I especially liked the statement from the network:

"We've been viewing the tape repeatedly to determine our corporate reaction, and we'll have to get back to you on that," a grinning UPN spokeswoman said yesterday.

MisterPink

MisterPink

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 4:30 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Which five girls are involved in the "orgy?"

My money is on:
Jenascia- works at Hooters, likes to do "embarassing" things.
Bethany- is a skank.
Sara- is kind of obnoxious? i don't know. she is a republican, so maybe not.
Heather - acts skanky on UPN video clip I totally watched.
Xiomara- seems very open-minded! Likes to get naked!

I can not see Shandi, April, or Camille involved. I can imagine April crying, however, over what she saw the Other Girls Do Last Night.

AngelOfMusic

AngelOfMusic

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 11:38 PM

I concure... guess he wasn't enthralled with Shandi. *insert rimshot here*

Did they paint the guy too? Those abs look a little... brown eyeshadowed for me.

lianne

lianne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 8:11 AM

Here's another article about the orgy.

I love Janice's response, while also being squicked by it at the same time

rarity

rarity

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:01 PM

Yeah, Bellemmers, the first thing I thought when I saw this shot
(besides BALL) was - there's no way a photographer would use that
shot. It's horribly overexposed in one area, dark in another.
The lighting just bites. I can't believe this got used in any way,
shape or form.

That said, I'm a newspaper photographer and sometimes you get so
focused on 'is this the best exposure, is it tack sharp, is
this a flattering expression, etc.' that you can miss the obvious.
We almost ran a shot of an athlete in a speedo last year and my,
oh my - his package was completely obvious. Thankfully a writer
noticed it before we went to press and the production department
tamed that puppy. But now I always look at athlete's crotches
(not just for fun, mind you) --- all it takes is a runner without
underwear and I swear you can tell what religion they are.
Sometimes I save those shots just for fun. Ha.

clandrith

clandrith

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 12:03 PM

Holy shi-ite! Tyra was on Good Morning America this morning hawking her upcoming album????? WTF? They showed a clip of the video and she was dropping it like it was hot and shaking it in an attempt to out-Beyonce Beyonce.

My tummy hurts.

lyn1

lyn1

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 6:15 PM

Yup, she's been talking about this album of hers on late night talk shows, it's really just kinda like 'wtf??'

I'm really curious, i wanna see this video.

MisterPink

MisterPink

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 7:41 PM

This page has a link to the (hilariously awful) video.

Nerva

Nerva

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 11:24 PM

People magazine online named Tyra's hair as among the worst at the Golden Globe awards. They said it looked clownish and cowlicky. Ha ha. Look who needs to visit the Little Beauty Shop of Horrors now. I would post a link, but I think only AOL members can view it.