Match Game: Get Ready to Match the Stars

• Please log in to reply

623 replies to this topic

banty

banty

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 7:52 PM

I believe that I heard that Fannie Flagg was dyslexic and was aware that the spelling on her answers was terrible.

I think the worst guest ever was Joan Collins. Her answers were completely humorless.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 7:30 AM

I saw Alex Karras for the first time ever on MG last night. He was pretty awful with his answers, but I was too distracted by the contestant who was a dead ringer for Gabe Kaplan!

sakana1

sakana1

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 8:47 AM

I know most of the contestants on the show weren't rocket scientists, but here's something that's always really, really bugged me (and yes, I think about Match Game too much): if Richard is supposed to be the Lord of the Matchers, why does everyone always pick him first in that "top 3 matches" game?! If he's so skilled with the matching, would it not be much smarter to leave him for last, when the easy choices are gone, and Brett has to throw cards at Fannie Flag so that she can come up with something? Seriously, people. Pay attention to the game.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 1:09 PM

That's a good strategy, sakana1. I always felt bad for the contestant when they had to spin the wheel with the celebs' names on it and it landed on Joyce

There was another celeb host in yesterday's ep who was horrible, but I didn't catch her last name. Barbara Something. She sat to Richard's right. I miss Betty White.

ThatTree

ThatTree

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 1:54 PM

Wow, banty, that explains everything about Fannie! Thanks.

Even though Patti Deutsch certainly brings, shall we say, a random element to game play (especially on first-round questions), she is reliably hilarious. There's a "we're the two smartest people in the room" vibe between her and Gene that I especially enjoy.

sakana1

sakana1

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 6:23 PM

Patti? Smarter than Brett? Please.

farinacus

farinacus

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 7:38 PM

I think Gene's microphone is smarter than Brett.

sakana1

sakana1

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 7:42 PM

farinacus said:

Whoa, really? Does everyone else think that, too? She's always struck me as very intelligent, if not well-educated. The poise with which she deals with, well, everything (Charles, Gene, Dawson, the revolving morons to her right and lower-right, etc.) gives me an impression of Smarts. But perhaps I've been misinterpreting her. If everyone agrees with farinacus on this one, I'm not afraid to admit that my Match Game-iverse will be shaken to its foundations.

Edited by sakana1, Feb 26, 2004 @ 7:43 PM.

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 9:18 PM

Whoa, really? Does everyone else think that, too?

I've gotta disagree... if you look purely at the number of times rotten ("boooooooooooooooooo") answers come up, you'll notice that Brett doesn't get booed all that much... and that her answers, in one way or another, make sense.

Now, Bill Daly................

ClowingAround

ClowingAround

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 3:12 AM

I too like Brett. I do think she is smart as well, but just makes some of the comments she does to get a laugh. This show would not be half as good without her.

farinacus

farinacus

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2004 @ 7:14 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how everyone can see the exact same thing, and have completely different views on what they saw. That's what makes these boards so great.

As far as Boo answers, if the comparison is between Brett and Bill Daily, Joey Bishop, Joyce Bulifant, most of the HotChicks, etc., then yeah, she isn't that bad. But compared to Charles, Richard, and the semi-regulars (Betty White, Fannie Flagg, etc.) she has more than her share of rotten answers. And the thing is, many times she thinks it is a good answer, and looks kinda hurt when she gets booed. The others know when they gave a rotten answer, and try to cover it with a joke.

WhyTheLongFace

WhyTheLongFace

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 5:58 PM

I can't get enough of this show. I watch it whenever I can.
Brett is a doll. She makes the show.

Joyce B. may not have been too on the ball with the answers, but she sure was cute. I loved the time she put on the brunette wig.

Bob Barker in the lower middle seat: You could tell my man was a playa, always leering at the woman in the "Hot Chick" seat. It was kinda creepy the way he was drooling all over Loni Anderson, though.

A couple of times, the "Hot Chick" chair was occupied by Ethel Merman, or Mary Wickes. Heh.

The 90's version of Match Game with Nell Carter, Judy Tenuta, and Vicki Lawrence (although I loved Vicki on the show. She was that show's Richard Dawson, always getting called on for the final match), was pretty atrocious. Everytime the match question involved President Clinton, the blank was "penis." Also, cuz it was on daytime TV, they felt the need to censor most of the stars' answers. It died a quick death.

More thoughts later.

ubi

ubi

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 9:43 PM

The 90's version of Match Game with Nell Carter, Judy Tenuta, and Vicki Lawrence (although I loved Vicki on the show. She was that show's Richard Dawson, always getting called on for the final match), was pretty atrocious. Everytime the match question involved President Clinton, the blank was "penis." Also, cuz it was on daytime TV, they felt the need to censor most of the stars' answers. It died a quick death.

I remember being all excited about the new (90's?) version coming out and then being extremely disappointed when the set amd music was completely different and none of the stars had any charisma or chemistry amongst themsleves. I think I only watched for about five minutes before moving on.

Garrison

Garrison

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 12:49 AM

There was one other revival of Match Game....in the early 80s NBC revealed "The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour" which combined the two games with Gene Rayburn hosting the MG half and Jon "Bowzer" Bowman hosting the HS half. I don't remember much about the show except for the giant board they would use to list the guest stars, the cool set they had that transformed the MG two tier set into the HS three tier set, and the MG/HS theme music that lives on today as one of the "Price is Right" prize themes (the one that goes Bomp! ba ba ba! Bomp! ba ba ba Bomp! ba ba ba- ba ba ba ba.)

I got the chance to meet Bill Daily when he appeared at the TVLand Ultimate Fan Search a few years ago. Since I was last in line to get his autograph, I was able to talk to him for a few minutes about "Match Game". He said it was one of the best gigs he ever had, it was as much fun on the set as it looked on the screen, Gene Rayburn was just as nice in person as he was on camera, and that Bill liked that the format allowed for the guests to have the chance to goof around with the first answer, and then get serious with the second (and in MGPM third rounds) so as not to spoil the contestants chances at winning the money.

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 5:31 AM

There was one other revival of Match Game....in the early 80s NBC revealed "The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour"...

Actually, there was one other OTHER revival that hasn't been mentioned... the 1990 one with Ross Schafer.

The game itself was as sharp as ever, but had a horrible time slot, which is why most folks don't know much about it.

and the MG/HS theme music that lives on today as one of the "Price is Right" prize themes (the one that goes Bomp! ba ba ba! Bomp! ba ba ba Bomp! ba ba ba- ba ba ba ba.)

You mean this one? (I love that theme!)

farinacus

farinacus

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 7:34 AM

The other day I saw the Worst.SuperMatch.Ever. It was Denise ___________.

$100 answer - the Menace
$250 answer - and de Nephew
$500 answer - Williams

The best part was Bill Dailey shouted out "and de Nephew" and everyone had a good laugh, so when it showed up on the board, the whole set lost it.

I think the show was from around 1980 or 1981, so who is Denise Williams? Is she the singer who had that song in Footloose?

sakana1

sakana1

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 8:58 AM

I think her name is actually "Denice" (thank you, Sirius). So yeah, that's her. "And de Nephew" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 1:44 PM

"And de Nephew" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Actually, I'd go for "Denise the Menace" there.

It answers the question: "What happened when Jay North had a sex change operation?"

ubi

ubi

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 5:56 PM

I recently heard this on Family Guy:

Gene: "Dumb Dora said 'I can never remember his name; whenever I see him a draw a blank'"

Followed by a quick cut to the stars who are staring in disbelief.

Edited by ubi, Mar 10, 2004 @ 5:57 PM.

Vgmastr

Vgmastr

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 8:13 PM

Actually, there was one other OTHER revival that hasn't been mentioned... the 1990 one with Ross Schafer.

The game itself was as sharp as ever, but had a horrible time slot, which is why most folks don't know much about it.

That was my first exposure to MG, I was around nine years old, and I used to watch it every day on summer vacation. It wasn't until years later I finally saw the '70s version on GSN.

BTW, rumor has it that when the GSN "re-vamp" happens next Monday, they're going to replace the 1:30pm showing of MG '7x with MG '90, I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Vgmastr, Mar 10, 2004 @ 8:14 PM.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 5:49 PM

I'm surprised they are running Match Game '90 again, considering how they ran it over and over and over a few years ago in the 12:30pm slot. The only thing I can recall with any clarity is seeing Catherine Bell of "JAG" (then calling herself "Cathy Bell," a massage therapist) as a contestant.

I always thought Brett was a lot smarter than she played on the show. But Charles, to me, was the brains of that outfit. If "GSN--the Network for Games" wants to curry some favor with those of us who pay their bills (the viewers of their highly-rated Match Game reruns), they'd do a behind-the-scenes type documentary on "Match Game". Gene and Johnny have already left us, but we still could get most of the big names to contribute. It would be worth it just to see how some of them have aged!

BTW, I noticed Roger Dobkowitz's name in the credits of Match Game '75 as a lowly production assistant. I'll bet he never imagined he'd end up the Head Honcho of the last network game show (The Price Is Right) twenty-five years later.

FlowingSmooth

FlowingSmooth

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 9:58 PM

The thing I like about "Match Game" is that, as easy as it would be to give one of the off-color answers, they never did. I don't know whether everyone was scared into not answering that way, but it created the need for double entendre that made the show great.

Match Game really is terrific when compared to the game shows of modern TV. My favorite thing about MG is that if you give a bad answer, the host berates you, the celebrity panel mocks you and the audience boos you. There's no spoiling there, unlike Family Feud where the question can be "What's an all-American food?" and if you give the answer "Body hair," you're told that it's a good answer and the audience applauds your ignorance.

WhyTheLongFace

WhyTheLongFace

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2004 @ 4:32 PM

Yeah, I can't get enuff of the original Match Game on GSN, even though Mrs. LongFace claims she's "over" the show.
Of course, whenever we watch, she's always answering the "blanks," then looking to me for approval. Heh.

Off-topic?
Actually, her correct spelling is Deniece Williams, which works quite well with the "and de nephew" joke.
"Niecy," as she was known, had quite a few 70's R&B hits. If you can find "Free" on the Internet anywhere, download it. It's an amazing tune.
Deniece also co-sung the theme song to Family Ties with Johnny Mathis.

Vgmastr

Vgmastr

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2004 @ 11:54 PM

FOX, of all networks, is doing a MG revival. They recently shot a pilot called What the Blank? hosted by Fred Willard. Whether or not the pilot makes it to air and any more episodes are produced remains to be seen. I'm pleasantly surprised, as I love the show, and I hope it does well if FOX goes through with it. However, none of the three MG revivals have lasted longer than a year, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Dbonz

Dbonz

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 1:19 PM

I absolutely loved this show growing up in the 70's. I thought Richard Dawson was great. Gene Rayburn was a lecherous old man. And I can remember asking my mother when I was about 7 or 8 if Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly were married. When she said no, I just couldn't understand why not, I thought they'd be perfect together. Now, of course, I know why not!

FlowingSmooth

FlowingSmooth

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 9:35 PM

can remember asking my mother when I was about 7 or 8 if Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly were married. When she said no, I just couldn't understand why not, I thought they'd be perfect together. Now, of course, I know why not!

Because Brett was married to Jack Klugman? ;-)

Lucky Bishop

Lucky Bishop

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 11:35 PM

And Chuck was married to Tony Randall!

(Yes, I know Tony's straight, but he Has A Quality.)

Dbonz

Dbonz

Posted May 11, 2004 @ 8:11 PM

Because Brett was married to Jack Klugman?

Yes FlowingSmooth that's totally it!!! :) I think by that time they were divorced, but Brett and Jack Klugman seemed to have a great divorce. They still appeared together, and seemed to get along so well.

Edited by Dbonz, May 11, 2004 @ 8:12 PM.

Beelzebubba

Beelzebubba

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2004 @ 4:41 PM

When the whole point is putting leering, lecherous, smarmy answers in the audience's mind, actually writing down leering, lecherous, smarmy answers is redundant.

Exactamundo! And that's exactly why the 90s version sucked with all the Clinton/penis jokes. In the 70s, it wasn't copacetic to write/say the indecent answer, and only happened on rare occasions. So I say to the 90s panelists - we know you want to write penis. The intelligent panelists will think of something more clever. Dumbasses.

I hate, hate, hate Patti Deutch. I never found her funny and as noted above in the thread, would go for the joke over an answer. Even if it meant the contestant would lose the game. And in my book she wasn't that funny, just a fucktard. And Bill Daley grated as well. Such a camerawhore. Loved me some Charles and Brett though. And count me in as a dumb kid who thought those two were married to each other. Snerk.

And one of my very first crushes was on Gene Rayburn.

WhyTheLongFace

WhyTheLongFace

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 4:50 PM

I guess I'm in the minority, cuz I loved Patti Deutch. Mrs. LongFace hated her too. But C'mon guys, she would sometimes match the contestants, in her own inimitable way.
And Bill Daily, I thought was lovable, in his geeky way. He, Fred Grandy, and Gary Burghoff were all kinda working the same shtick.
I never thought Brett and CNR were married, they always bantered like a couple of old girlfriends.

I don't think a new version of Match Game will work. This is truly a one of a kind show. The fact that FOX is thinking of naming it What the Blank already has people filling in the blank with the F portion of WTF.