Match Game: Get Ready to Match the Stars

• Please log in to reply

623 replies to this topic

bybrandy

bybrandy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

I'd never seen the early sixties episodes. The raising of the hands was bizarre and awesome. I especially loved in the pilot that they seemed to keep their hands up forever. It cracked me up.

I know the later versions of Match Game are really wildly panned but my very experience with Match Game was coming home from college for a long weekend and finding my dad and my brother sitting down on the couch together to watch an episode of Match Game. I'd never heard of this game. Never seen the 70s show. But here were the two people I loved most in the world playing a game together. I came in and they basically said, we'll talk to you when it's over. So I sat down between them and joined in, getting the only match of the round and had bragging rights all weekend. It was a very good memory and one that inspired me to check out the 70s version when we got GSN.

I'm not sure I would have seen it otherwise. So totally a happy thing to see the later episodes just because they were my gateway drug.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 9:45 PM

I'd never seen the early sixties episodes.

I only saw bits of it on a show about Match Game (or one of the hosts).  I bought a collection of DVDs off eBay but it's a best of instead of season by season.  Nor sure if they sell those.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 1:43 PM

Found the Behind The Blank GSN documentary on YouTube today!

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

RIP, Marcia Wallace.

http://tv.yahoo.com/...-154712041.html

I remember a quip she made on MG '90:  "My son will never be potty trained; he's gonna go right from Pampers to Depends."

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

Indeed, Marcia was one of my favorites of the sixth-seat "wacky/funny chick" rotation.

Astriferous

Astriferous

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

Of all the old 70s game shows I used to watch a lot on Game Show Network, this was my absolute favorite.  I would literally laugh until I was sore.  Charles Nelson Reilly and the lady who sat next to him whose name I cannot remember right now for the life of me were my favorite panelists.  I did like that for the rounds that cost beaucoup money, they'd always go with Richard Dawson.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

Fannie Flagg? 

33Diva

33Diva

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

Astriferous, that's Brett Somers.

cosmosmommy

cosmosmommy

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 2, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

I watched Match Game in the original run in the 70's.  We hated the Watergate hearings because they interfered with Match Game.  I like Brett and Charles.  I can't stand Joyce B. or Patti D.  They try to be funny, but only look stupid.  For example, this week the Tarzan question and Patti answers "kangaroo."  That's not funny.  That's sabatoge so the contestant loses.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Dec 23, 2013 @ 2:26 PM

I always thought Brett and Charles made the whole show.  

And I had forgotten how much I loved Marcia Wallace on here.  RIP.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2014 @ 9:57 PM

I liked Marcia and Fanny in the 6th seat.  Could not stand Joyce B.

snarkylady

snarkylady

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2014 @ 3:44 PM

Funny how some of the panel members were delightful and some.....weren't.   For me the sixth seat belonged to Fanny, Betty and Patti with Fanny being my favorite.   I didn't like anyone else there and a few of them were cringe-worthy.  Marcia was just ok for me, and I agree with Lola16 about Joyce B.  Awful.  There was someone with bright red hair that I hit mute whenever she spoke and Joanne Worley (sp?) affected me the same way.

33Diva

33Diva

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 9:40 AM

Snarkylady, have you seen Jo Anne Worley on Pyramid or Password? She's even worse! The redhead is probably Patti Deutsch.  

snarkylady

snarkylady

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 11:03 AM

Yes 33Diva, I have seen Jo Anne Worley on Password and she was truly obnoxious.  As for the redhead I think her name was Kaye but I'm not sure.  

As long as I mentioned stars I did not like I should add myself to the list of people who love Charles.  Such a delight and while I don't hold Brett in quite the same esteem the two played off each other beautifully.   

33Diva

33Diva

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 11:57 AM

My favorite among the regular panelists were Brett, Charles & Richard. Gene was wonderful as well. I really didn't like his daughter bad-mouthing Richard on the Behind The Blanks special.

For the guests, my favorites were Betty White, Allen Ludden, Burt Convy (love him!), Bill Daily, Nipsey Russell, Scoey Mitchell (at first I didn't realize his grumpy act was actually an act), Jack Klugman, Arlene Francis, Marcia Wallace, Debralee Scott, Mary Wickes (so funny!), Carolyn Jones.

I can't believe I didn't ever recognize that Susan Sullivan was Castle's mom!

Other than the ditzy ladies (Mary Ann Mobley seemed lovely but dumb as a bag of hair), I really couldn't stand Gary Burghoff. He was always trying to be funny and failing, and I kind of felt like some of his jabs at the others were mean-spirited.  I never got that impression from anyone else who would tease the other panelists. 

Can anyone help me recall who the lady was who used to sit in the fourth chair, and was really tiny? I think she picked Gene up one time & actually got him off his feet.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 12:05 PM

Was it Joyce Bulifant?

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 12:28 PM

As to the annoying redhead, another candidate was Kaye Stevens. She was on a few times in the early years of the show's 1970s run. Always cackling and bringing attention to herself. The rest of the panel never engaged with her. Not for nothing, I'd surmise, she didn't appear in later years.

Redheaded cackler = Kaye. Redhead with a hangdog deadpan shtick who seemed to purposefully give weird answers even if a contestant's game was on the line = Patty.

Fanny Flagg was also a redhead but I found her delightful and the rest of the panel seemed to love her (especially Brett.)

33Diva

33Diva

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 12:42 PM

Peeayebee, thanks but no, it wasn't Joyce. She was really short & had a tiny little voice too. I might have another look at IMDB & see if I can figure it out. I remember Joyce from Mary Tyler Moore. This lady is like an even smaller version of Joyce lol. 

ETA: It was Sarah Kennedy. I guess she wasn't all that short but she was tiny and had a little voice. 

Edited by 33Diva, Jan 7, 2014 @ 1:24 PM.

snarkylady

snarkylady

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 2:32 PM

Thanks mumbles, I do think Kaye Stevens is the one I mute instantly. 

33Diva, I mostly agree with your list of favorites and I share your opinion of Gary Burghoff.  Funny thing with him is that his answers were pretty good but he tried way too hard for humor and it usually missed.   Mary Ann Mobley took way too much time to explain her answers and I didn't think she added anything to the panel.   One more...Joey Bishop...seemed hostile.  I wasn't sure if it was humor that I just didn't get or that's who he really was.  I didn't think he was right for the show.

fernsehen

fernsehen

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 2:46 PM

When I saw "tiny little voice" I thought of Georgia Engel, who was playing Georgette on The Mary Tyler Moore Show at the time.  IMDb doesn't show any Match Game credits for her, though.  And I couldn't place Sarah Kennedy, even after following 33Diva's link.  I watched these 1970s MGs in their first run and recognized most of the nonregular panelists from something (Burghoff from M*A*S*H, several from the MTM shows, etc).

Was James Garner ever on MG?  I think he'd have been a good guest.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 4:16 PM

Joey Bishop didn't seem to understand the concept of the show a lot of the times. And when he gave a dumb answer, the audience would boo, and he'd get pissed, which just encouraged the audience to boo more. Good times.

I'm not sure how much of Scooey Mitchell's grumpy act was an act. He came off a lot of times as really pissed to be there (Rhoda was on CBS, so maybe they made him do this as well?)

I wonder why they didn't put Mary Wickes in that last seat. She was pretty funny. I came across an episode where she gave a pretty filthy/funny answer and she completely pulled it off.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 6:56 PM

Edie McClurg was another one I couldn't stand!  Match Game isn't listed on her IMDB page nor is she listed on theirs but it's there on YouTube.  She did both the original and remix (90s).

This one also has Joyce B and Paul Williams.  Talk about an annoying bottom row!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bjtBbSDJD1I

This is an amusing compilation of Brett and the Buzzer guy:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8Af79OyQsy8

This is a cute one that I haven't seen.  Allen is on the panel and Betty White is in the audience.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wL0wCGcr0zo

33Diva

33Diva

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 7:32 PM

Edie McClurg was another one I couldn't stand! 

She was so annoying on Password as well!

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 8:11 PM

And I couldn't place Sarah Kennedy, even after following 33Diva's link.

I believe she was on Laugh-In, but don't quote me on it.

There used to be a really good MG drinking game on the Web, but the site's long gone.  My favorite was "When the orange box starts to flip and you say, 'Who the hell is *that*?', take X drinks."

33Diva

33Diva

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 8:22 PM

Sarah was on Laugh-In and Love, American Style, but I only ever saw her on Match Game.  She quit acting when she got married and had babies back in the early 80's.

On Match Game, they frequently talked about how tiny she was. Gene was always flirting with her.

I loved when Ethal Merman came on & Brett still kept singing like her.

Edited by 33Diva, Jan 7, 2014 @ 8:24 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 10:25 PM

I don't remember Sarah at all. 

One more...Joey Bishop...seemed hostile.  I wasn't sure if it was humor that I just didn't get or that's who he really was.  I didn't think he was right for the show.

For some reason, I had a crush on him. I'm not sure when it developed, but he could do no wrong in my eyes.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2014 @ 12:38 AM

I'd have like to have seen Bob Newhart on the panel.

33Diva

33Diva

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 9:05 AM

Bob would have been fantastic! 

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 6:40 PM

I wonder why they didn't put Mary Wickes in that last seat.

I'm watching a syndicated MG on YouTube now, and Mary's in the sixth chair.

https://www.youtube....h?v=mML65pEKEBY

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2014 @ 2:11 PM

Mary Wickes was a smart cookie; she always brought her A-game. And I agree that Newhart, with his wit, would have been a great addition to the panel.

Redhead with a hangdog deadpan shtick who seemed to purposefully give weird answers even if a contestant's game was on the line = Patty.

This description is spot-on. It didn't occur to me back when I was young and innocent, but she might have been high as a kite. I never liked her; she just didn't have the 'game-show personality' that's so important on a show like this one.

Realizing I'm in the minority, something about Fannie Flagg bugged me too. She was a good player and all, but never one of my favorites.

Love the links to the YouTube clips; can't wait to go through them and thanks to all! I found one a couple years ago... I don't have the link anymore and I don't even know if it's still up... where Robert Culp was playing; he was seated in the top row, left-hand chair. I don't remember Culp as much of a game-show guy, but I always liked him in anything he did. Richard Dawson is usually the one I've got my eye on in the long-shots, but he was sporting a rather cheesy-looking mustache(!) and I'm afraid that didn't appeal to me very much, so I focused on Culp.