Paula's Home Cooking: We'll Save These for the Men

• Please log in to reply

8113 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jun 22, 2013 @ 8:14 AM

I'm not gonna put the size 9s on the discussion about Paula and her firing - but - I do want to emphasize that this is a forum about TV. If you wanna discuss the n-word's use through history..... that's not here.

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 10:40 AM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed her super helmet head. Maybe her usual stylist had the day off and she ended up with someone from Dolly Parton's hair salon from Steel Magnolias.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 9:16 PM

And I only saw a little of the episode, but she struck me as more subdued than usual. It worried me. Paula, you okay, hon?

Really more that any other FN host, I worry about this one. You might think she keeps some Mother's Little Helper around to get her through her busy day? And the cupboard was bare?

lotusbear

lotusbear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 8:41 PM

So I made my first Paula Deen recipe this weekend. I made the Gorilla Bread and she made it look SO good on TV. BUt it didn't work out for me at all. THe biscuits were undercooked after her 30 minute baking time so after unmolding it I had to remold it and put it back in the oven for 10 minutes. I did that twice more (baking for an hour total) and they still weren't baked properly - but I didn't want the biscuits to end up too tough. I know it was not the temperature of my oven because I have a very nice Taylor oven thermometer. I personally think that when you're bunching up the biscuits to cover up the cream cheese that part of the biscuit ball you've created is thicker/denser in dough than the other part of the biscuit ball so it cooks unevenly. Maybe she should specify in her recipe to place the thicker parts out towards the wall of your bundt pan.

Lastly, for whoever asked, I'm sure Nocona got it right. Gorilla bread is definitely a take on Monkey bread. The only people who I know make it are from the California area so maybe it's a west coast thing? Monkey bread is a pull apart sweet yeast bread but doesn't have cream cheese as a filling like Paula's bread.

Edited by lotusbear, Feb 16, 2004 @ 8:44 PM.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 8:53 PM

Maybe your cream cheese was still too cold and retarded the cooking? And when the cheese warmed in the oven it affected the moisture of the dough so it wouldn't bake properly? You should e-mail your problem to the FN website.

Kristi1972

Kristi1972

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 10:45 AM

Help! I'm making Paula's Chicken in Wine Sauce tonight, but I know nothing about wine and all the wine stores in my area are closed today! I was planning to ask for suggestions at the store, but now it looks like I'll have to get something at the grocery store, and I doubt the pimply kid stocking the shelves is going to be much help. I need a good, inexpensive ($5-10, closer to $5) white wine that I can find at the grocery store. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

techgirl

techgirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 11:15 AM

When I'm cooking chicken with white wine, I usually lean towards a chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, or chenin blanc. Make sure you let the wine get to room temperature first before you use it (in case you buy it chilled). Really, any basic wine will work... and in my experience, the cheaper the better for cooking with wine. Stay away from sweeter wines - I personally think the higher sugar content kills the flavor.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 3:30 PM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed her super helmet head. Maybe her usual stylist had the day off and she ended up with someone from Dolly Parton's hair salon from Steel Magnolias.

Sometimes she uses costumes (think the 50's retro episode with the scary fake ponytail) and hairstyles to 'transport herself' to the area or time when the food would actually be made. *And sometimes I think she uses Jim Beam...

Does she always seem like she is slightly drunk?

She does love her liquor! The funniest episode is the one where she goes to the Kentucky Derby and she is almost orgasmic about the bourbon. I wonder how many 'samples' she got to bring home? She reminds me of my dad's mom who always gets a fruitcake for Christmas and then makes my dad pour some 'taste good' (bourbon) on top. She then spends the rest of the day telling us how we're all going to be 'beggin' for some of this good stuff'. Scary.

I loved the show she did with her sons. They were both cuties and were so sweet with their "momma". However, I'm sure I would have issues with PD being my MIL, since they did seem like "momma's boys".

The taller one, Jaime, is YUMMY!! But you're right, a girl would have some SERIOUS issues trying to get a guy away from 'Momma'

I saw her Christmas dinner episode yesterday, the one where she was preparing a rib roast (maybe the same one as Kristi?), and she said, Now I'll put him in the fridge. She's done this before, calling food she eats him instead of it. Freud would have a field day.

Sorry, this makes me think of a Paula comment she made one day while making some kind of roast, "Y'all know how I like to handle my meat". Heh, that's dirty.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2004 @ 10:19 PM

The taller one, Jaime, is YUMMY!! But you're right, a girl would have some SERIOUS issues trying to get a guy away from 'Momma'

The boy is mine. No double-dipping!

Kristi1972

Kristi1972

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 10:13 AM

Thanks for the advice, techgirl. I wound up using a chardonnay from our local winery, and it turned out really good.

kimmako

kimmako

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 10:57 AM

Was the tea party episode new? I never watch this show. I just decided to since y'all seem to have so much fun with her.

I really have my doubts about the tastiness of pickled okra tea sandwiches and that orange dress she wore looked like a sack. But ohmy! her sons are rilly, rilly cute.

Nocona

Nocona

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2004 @ 12:42 AM

i've just watched todays episode. she cooked cherry tomatoes with brownsugar and cream. Has any of you heard of this? tried it? It sounds kinda strange to me, and yes...there was plenty of butter. she commented that she could even find a way to make tomatoes fattening.

That cheese bread looked pretty heavenly, and god do i wish there was a vegeterian version of Chicken and Dumplings. Tofu and dumplings doesnt sound quite as good.

TexasTallGal

TexasTallGal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2004 @ 12:52 AM

I caught the last half of this show waiting for Sandra Lee and was AMAZED at the amount of fat in everything. Does anyone still cook (and eat) like this?

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2004 @ 1:45 PM

i've just watched todays episode. she cooked cherry tomatoes with brownsugar and cream. Has any of you heard of this? tried it?

I saw this too. The other ingredients sounded ok, but brown sugar?
I could see cherry tomatos in a savory cream sauce, but adding that much brown sugar would make it like a savory caramel (excuse me, Paula says its CAHR-MUL) sauce. Yuck!

Has anyone tried the baked spaghetti that she made recently? It actually looked pretty good!

Edited by PostToastie, Mar 10, 2004 @ 10:13 PM.

Nocona

Nocona

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2004 @ 10:48 PM

I saw Paula's car-show themed episode today and am incredibly dissapointed. At the end they showed her sons (so very hot) and they both had women. o well, i guess I cant have one.

her burgers looked strangely appealing. I never would have thought that a fried egg on a burger would be good. and the apple pie thing sounded good, but I think I would bake it. I just dont think I could handle all that frying.

PlayItGeorge

PlayItGeorge

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 11:02 AM

Nocona, I have a veggie and biscuits w/ cheese sauce (not heavy cheese like mac and cheese but lighter) recipe, which satisfies my C&D cravings. Email me if you want it.

Edited by PlayItGeorge, Mar 15, 2004 @ 11:02 AM.

jellywager

jellywager

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 3:04 PM

How cute was Jimmy Carter on the gurella bread ep. I loved watching Paula interview him (although at times I could not catch a word they said, I think their accents got heavier as they were talking). It was fun to hear the story of him owning property when he was 8 years old and collected $18.00 a month for rent. He was still collecting the rent when he was going to the the service. No rent raises for those people.

ubi

ubi

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 3:21 PM

Her burgers looked strangely appealing. I never would have thought that a fried egg on a burger would be good.

Yeah, funny, that. I wonder where Sam(?) ate those? I'd rather eat one there than try making it myself.

Rimerr

Rimerr

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 4:01 PM

she cooked cherry tomatoes with brownsugar and cream. Has any of you heard of this? tried it?

I grew up on such things in my household. If you have ever had stewed tomatoes, these are very similar to that. Just creamier and more fattening. I like to crumble up my cornbread into the tomatoes and eat it with a spoon. Absolutely heaven. I hope I didn't make anyone gag.

And burgers with fried eggs? We have those too. It's really a different taste but good in it's own way. Actually the burger chain Johnny Rocket's will actually add a fried egg to your burger if you ask.

Just to clarify: I don't eat like that all the time. Special family occasions only are when we get stewed cream tomatoes. And I haven't had a fried egg on my burger in years.

If you like pimento cheese, try out Paula's recipe. I made it for a shower I hosted a couple weeks ago and it was tasty.

Toomanyblondes

Toomanyblondes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 9:07 PM

Awwww, Paula and Michael got married according to the foodtv.com boards. Bobby posts over there and says it was a great time.

I want gorilla bread.

CydW

CydW

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2004 @ 10:03 PM

They did?? I knew they were engaged...I'm all verklempting here...

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 12:58 AM

I like to crumble up my cornbread into the tomatoes and eat it with a spoon. Absolutely heaven. I hope I didn't make anyone gag.

Errp ...

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 11:40 AM

At the end they showed her sons (so very hot) and they both had women.

Let's just pretend that's not true....

KateQD

KateQD

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 2:31 PM

Awesome news about her and Michael getting married, if they werent already rich I'd send them a gift!

Also, I can recall an episode where the girls (I think they are both wives of the boys or at least the older one is married and the younger is engaged) were on with the boys at the end of the show, I think it was a holiday episode. If its any consolation they looked like they were really nice girls, but man they must have iron nerves and extreme patience to take on two such obvious mama's boys. I hope she is a good MIL, she seems like she could be an either awesome or horrible MIL.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 4:34 PM

At the end they showed her sons (so very hot) and they both had women.

I'll just have to temper my disappointment with spite. I mean, alcoholism probably runs in the family. And they dress really weird, and that hair...! And I bet they're wimps and they don't even know how to swim. I can't imagine them swimming... them swimming... naked...

Nope. Can't imagine it.

PlayItGeorge

PlayItGeorge

Posted Mar 31, 2004 @ 10:50 AM

God, everything this woman cooks looks so fantastic. I really liked her peach episode last night. The "frozen" pie filling was an awesome idea but I didn't catch how she prepared the filling before she froze it. Did she just make the filling as normal or did she add anything special? What an easy way to have a great homemade dessert when you're running low on time.

Anyone try her oriental salad?

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2004 @ 12:15 PM

Anyone try her oriental salad?

My great aunt made a similar salad last year at Thanksgiving. It was really good! Light and crunchy after all of that heavy Thanksgiving food!!

Her frozen peach pie filling is here

PlayItGeorge

PlayItGeorge

Posted Mar 31, 2004 @ 12:24 PM

you rock, PostToastie!!

Edited by PlayItGeorge, Mar 31, 2004 @ 12:24 PM.

Layla71

Layla71

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2004 @ 12:33 AM

I just found this thread, and I have to share my Paula experience with you all. I went to Savannah for work in June 2000. During a trolley tour, the driver highly reccommended The Lady and Sons. Our group decided to have dinner there that night. We all had the buffet. Let me tell you, the food was to die for! Several of us bought her cookbook. While we were eating, Paula came over and re-filled our tea glasses (to this day the best tea I've ever had). She was so sweet and friendly and she autographed our cookbooks.

Oh, and during dinner a female server stopped right and the middle of the dining room and started to belt out Gershwin's "Summertime" a cappella! I have to say that evening at Paula's was my best restaurant experience ever.

I have seen her on Oprah, and had heard that she had a show. Could someone tell me when it airs? Is it on the Food Network? Thanks for letting me share my memories.

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2004 @ 1:56 AM

Yes, Layla71, she's on Food. Here's the link to her page on the site. You'll find the schedule there.

Kristi1972

Kristi1972

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2004 @ 10:26 AM

God, everything this woman cooks looks so fantastic. I really liked her peach episode last night.

Is that the episode with the peach cobbler? I made that, and it was soooooo good! Especially with ice cream...