Paula's Home Cooking: We'll Save These for the Men

• Please log in to reply

8113 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jun 22, 2013 @ 8:14 AM

I'm not gonna put the size 9s on the discussion about Paula and her firing - but - I do want to emphasize that this is a forum about TV. If you wanna discuss the n-word's use through history..... that's not here.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

Julia's heyday was before we knew what high-fat, high cholesterol foods could do to your health

Her health can't have been too bad, since she lived to be almost 92 & was active (physically & mentally) most of that time.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

I should name this post after that old, old song, "What Kind of Fool Am I?" I was stuck on the sofa feeling bad today, so I sat through an old show in which Paula teaches a young wife how to make biscuits and white gravy. In addition to the lesson, Paula offered ample advice such as "Never skimp on the butter" and a few other noted Paula-isms. She kept joking about her excesses. The biscuit lesson was a good one for anyone to see, but her advice to the young woman was disgusting to me. The woman treated all of Paula's advice like it was straight from the Bible, and I wondered how many other inexperienced cooks were heeding it, too.I thought of that famous quote: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

Edited by Mlle Poilane, Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:36 PM.

financialgal

financialgal

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:33 AM

Here's the thing - I actually liked Paula back in the beginning when she cooked in her kitchen and it was just her. Then they switched to Paula with guests, and we got Paula the entertainer. Along with that came the sexual innuendo, etc and she seemed to go out of her way to cook high fat, high calorie recipes as part of this whole schtick almost as a wink and a nod as if it were a joke.

The thing I really don't get is the contract with the drug company. In all my years I never have gone into my doctor and said I wanted such and such a drug because a TV personality was on it or was their spokesperson. I'd trust Paula Deen for my medical information about as much as I trust all the Suzanne Somers BS!

captain1

captain1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and am on no medication at all. I have done a lot of reading, and I believe that the culprit in the diabetes epidemic is the high carb low fat way of eating we have been talked into. I am eating just the opposite - lots of eggs, full fat dairy, cheese, meat and low carb veggies. I have cut out all bread, pasta, rice, white potatoes and sweets from my diet. My blood sugar is now completely normal, I have LOST weight without being hungry, and my cholesterol is coming down. Paula's problem is not butter or mayo, but all the carbs she is eating.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

Captain, I'm impressed by your post and also by the way you have lowered your blood surgar so drastically. Congratulations! I think that you are absolutely right on target!

Paula had a wonderful chef with a ton of credentials as a guest on one of her recent reruns.
I could have listened to her all day! The chef cooked several Southern dishes including an herbed ham, which I'd never heard of. It looked wonderful!

On another show, Michael was in charge, and they made his recipes. Mah-kuhl is no slouch in the kitchen! Apparently, he did a good bit of cooking when he captained his boat. Will Michael be the next Dean/Gruber to hit the airwaves with his own show?

On yet another show, Brook assisted Paula, and I think Brook has never been in the kitchen before! I felt a little sorry for her since Jamie was there and had to help her even with the easiest tasks. Then, a friend of Brook's appeared and baked a cake. Not an exceptionally captivating show. It seemed like more of an excuse to get Brook in front of the camera as part of the cooking family.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

Congrats, captain1!

Too much saturated fat can increase your lipids (a component of cholesterol) & be bad for your heart. But carbs (which turn into sugar) are the primary problem for diabetics.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

On a recent show, Paula made breaded chicken fingers on skewers, then a melted butter/garlic
"sauce" to dip them into!!! Son Bobby, who was helping her, bawled her out right on the air. He told her that they tasted exactly like what they are -- chicken fingers dipped in butter! Paula then got on him for "sassing her." That taught me quite a bit about how those sons feel about her unhealthy cooking. Paula admitted that she liked the butter-garlic sauce on Surf and Turf or lobster or even just on steak. IMHO, Paula will never learn!

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:07 AM

Breaded chicken dipped in melted butter? That sounds disgusting. So many of Paula's recent over-the-top recipes don't even sound good. They are just shown for the shock value, not because anybody would want to eat them.

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Julia's heyday was before we knew what high-fat, high cholesterol foods could do to your health, before we became such a sedentary society, and before the obesity epidemic. I look at most of her recipes now and know that I wouldn't even enjoy them.

Plus, unlike Paula, Julia's portion size seems miniscule by today's standards. I watched one of her shows where she was roasting a chicken and she thought two slices of chicken on a lettuce leaf with 1 (half) deviled egg would make a nice lunch for company. I won't get into how she handled everything with her raw, chickeny hands. Anyway, for as large a woman as she was, that's a tiny lunch. And she thought one chicken drumstick served two people.

Paula, on the other hand is serving two entire chicken breast halves into one sandwich using two scones as the bread (from what I've read here at least). I think the portion size of our meals is the much bigger culprit for obesity than the amount of fat in the food.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

I think the portion size of our meals is the much bigger culprit for obesity than the amount of fat in the food.

I think you're absolutely right, mansonlamps. I was watching one of the older episodes of The Biggest Loser - UK, and the female trainer was bawling out one of the contestants who was sitting at the table with a gigantic serving of chicken. The trainer stuck out her tiny fist and yelled, "This is a portion size!" I looked down at my own tiny fist and thought, "Hummmm, so that's what I've been doing wrong all these years."

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

I've taken a few classes in nutrition for diabetics & all of them heavily emphasized portion control. You can eat pretty much anything & everything if you're careful about the size of each serving. Portions of foods that have little sugar &/or few carbs can be larger, whereas portions of foods that are higher in sugar &/or carbs must be smaller -- but the amount you eat is at least as important as what you eat (assuming that you balance the overall diet among the food groups).

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

Agree, WRT portion sizes, Julia Child and eating a variety of healthy food, including many fruits and vegetables. IIRC, groups that actively focus on extending their lives recommend eating less. The expanding plate sizes used over the years at U.S. restaurants demonstrates our problems with portion control, IMHO.

Edited by diydude, May 3, 2012 @ 6:28 PM.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

Paula made breaded chicken fingers on skewers, then a melted butter/garlic
"sauce" to dip them into!!! Son Bobby, who was helping her, bawled her out right on the air. He told her that they tasted exactly like what they are -- chicken fingers dipped in butter!

Yuck. That sounds absolutely disgusting.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

Has anyone seen two recent repeats that have featured Dustin cooking with Paula? Dustin is or was a chef at the Lady and Sons. He seems to know more about what the restaurant serves than Paula does! I really like this fellow. Paula calls him her "third son." He can read Paula like a book. When she wants more butter in something, he smiles and says nothing. More than once, I have wished that Paula would just take a seat and let Dustin do the show. He's that likeable.

lexilina

lexilina

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

2012 Daytime Emmy Nominations

OUTSTANDING LIFESTYLE/CULINARY HOST

Giada De Laurentiis," "Giada At Home," Food Network

Rick Bayless, "Mexico One Plate at a Time with Rick Bayless," PBS

Nate Berkus," The Nate Berkus Show," Syndicated

Paula Deen, "Paula's Best Dishes," Food Network

Sandra Lee, "Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee," Food Network

Anthouny Bourdain is dying inside right now.

Edited by lexilina, May 11, 2012 @ 1:03 PM.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:35 AM

On so many recent repeats, Paula has had son Bobby cooking with her. Now that Bobby has a show of his own, I now understand why he's been cooking with his mother so much. It's good training (I guess). They must have known that Bobby would have his own show, or else they planned on filming one for the FN. Paula isn't filming much with Jamie these days. In fact, the last time he was on, he was in a decidedly bad mood and said very little. I'm guessing that he is not too interested in having his own show.

Someone mentioned the fact that Paula uses the word "son" in place of Bobby and Jamie's names. The other day, she had a show on which both of them appeared, and I've never heard so many "sons" said on one show!

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

Did anybody ever start a thread for Bobby's Cooking Channel show? I have only seen bits and pieces of the show, but his food generally looks good. The one I saw most recently was supposed to be his remake of Paula's tomato pie recipe. He made a pizza with whole wheat crust, sliced tomatoes, caramelized onions, parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Sort of a Pizza Margherita, which looked very good but the comparison to Paula's tomato pie was a stretch at best. Her recipe contains two cups of cheese and a cup of mayonnaise and only four tomatoes!!! During the stupid phone call at the end, Paula is stuffing her face and talking with her mouth full and crowing, "Son! You made a pizza pie without mayonnaise!!!" I know she just misspoke and should have said tomato pie, but don't they have any budget at all for retakes?

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

Paula isn't filming much with Jamie these days. In fact, the last time he was on, he was in a decidedly bad mood and said very little. I'm guessing that he is not too interested in having his own show.

Jaime is getting his own show on FN. This is from a Scripps news release earlier this year.

Home for Dinner with Jamie Deen

Series Premiere: Saturday, June 16th at 10:30am ET/PT

For Jamie Deen, it's all about food and family. As a husband, father, and cook, Jamie puts his personal and professional skills to the test to create great family dinners. Jamie always welcomes a helping hand, whether his son Jack joins to make dessert or Grandma Ginny (aka Paula Deen) comes over to help put the finishing touches on the meal. In the Deen family, there's nothing more fun that being Home for Dinner.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Did anybody ever start a thread for Bobby's Cooking Channel show?

Yep. Don't know how to link to it here, otherwise I would.

I quite enjoy his show (up until the final five minutes where he "sends" Mama his food and has her try them (of course she likes it!)), but sometimes his recipes are a bit of a stretch. One of my favorite bloggers has a version of Tomato Pie with the addition of corn and a whole wheat-olive oil crust that is just awesome, and I was expecting Bobby's version to be more like that than a pizza.

I wonder if Paula is going to be on all of Jamie's shows as well.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

Thanks so much, Chessiegal, for posting about Jamie's new show! I cannot believe how everyone in that family gets a show! I wonder what Michael will call his show since he isn't a Dean... "Dean Family Food with Michael Gruber???"

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

Paula's back in the news with her 30-lb. weight loss. I've noticed how much thinner she looks. She says that she still eats the same things ("I'm a Southern girl!"), but she doubles up on salads and veggies. On some of her most recent shows, she's still digging into desserts, which confused me. Apparently, she hasn't had to give them up for good.

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Diabetics don't have to give up desserts (or anything else) for good. They just have to limit their carbohydrates.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 4:44 AM

Yes, I'm well aware of that, qvole, but have you watched what she scarfs down lately? A chocolate marshmallow cake, topped with ice cream, topped with caramel sauce, topped with whipped cream and a cherry, preceded by maple-glazed sausages (calling for an entire cup of real maple syrup), sweet potatoes with brown sugar, etc. That's hardly diabetic fare or a healthy way to eat if your blood sugar is dangerously high, IMHO. I realize that this is Paula's decision and none of my business, but it sure confuses me when she eats like that.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, May 21, 2012 @ 4:45 AM.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Just because they are receipes prepared on the show hardly means they are what she eats on a daily basis. Paula looks great. She is obviously doing something right to have that kind of weight loss.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

Did anyone see the repeat the other day with Paula and her brother, Bubba? What a pair those two are! I haven't read a thing more about the lawsuit their employee filed against them. Has anyone? I'd forgotten about it, but seeing Bubba brought it back. I did read that Bubbs is divorced from the woman that Paula made the reception food for.

lexilina

lexilina

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

These are not dishes that Paula neccesarily eats everyday! This is a cooking show. Why would she make desserts on her show that are not delicious and ooey, gooey goodness? That is the point of dessert IMO, unless it is a show like Bobbys where you are actually trying to show healthy options. I know I watched a BC episode recently where I know she must have put 10 sticks of butter in her pecan bars dipped in chocolate. Now, I dont assume that Ina gobbles up the whole tray of sweets after the cameras stop rolling so I dont think that Paula does either.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

And let's face it: most of the time, these TV cooks (not just Paula) only eat a fork or two of the completed dish on-air. We don't see them sit and polish off an entire cake or casserole. So even though it isn't a good idea to eat any of those rich foods, it's not like she's even having a full serving, much less the entire dish.

Imonna

Imonna

Channel Surfer

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

I don't know how the rest of you feel, but in my opinion, Food Network should not have aired the episode this afternoon with Jay-Bird - it just seems to me not right.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

I don't know how the rest of you feel, but in my opinion, Food Network should not have aired the episode this afternoon with Jay-Bird - it just seems to me not right.

ITA. IMO FN should give a tape of it to Bubba, & a tape of it to Paula, & then never show it again. But FN isn't known for its smarts or sensitivity, is it.

Imonna

Imonna

Channel Surfer

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

ITA. IMO FN should give a tape of it to Bubba, & a tape of it to Paula, & then never show it again. But FN isn't known for its smarts or sensitivity, is it.

Nope, sorry, wrong thread!

Anyway, I couldn't watch the whole show. It just bothered me too much. FN as you said is definitely not known for their sensitivity. Look at Aunty Snads, airing her "Cajun" episode right after Katrina.

Edited by Imonna, May 24, 2012 @ 6:32 PM.