Paula's Home Cooking: We'll Save These for the Men

• Please log in to reply

8113 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jun 22, 2013 @ 8:14 AM

I'm not gonna put the size 9s on the discussion about Paula and her firing - but - I do want to emphasize that this is a forum about TV. If you wanna discuss the n-word's use through history..... that's not here.

tahitigirl

tahitigirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

I forgot to mention: I caught Bobby's show Saturday where he's making healthier versions of Paula's recipes. He had some guy with him and they watched a clip of one of Paula's old shows. His buddy gasped and said (paraphrasing), "Did you actually eat like that growing up? Or only once in a while?" Bobby's answer, "yes! Every night: fried chicken, Mac n cheese, meatloaf...all the time."

So much for Paula's claim that she always stresses moderation and that they don't eat that way every meal. Guess Bobby didn't get the memo.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

So much for Paula's claim that she always stresses moderation and that they don't eat that way every meal. Guess Bobby didn't get the memo

Except that Bobby and Jaime were kids over thirty years ago and Paula has never claimed she fed them otherwise. She made up her restaurant's menu based off of the food they used to eat, for example. In fact, there's a number of episodes where the boys and Paula all remembered their past diet and fixed food just like Bobby mentioned. Although they never forgot to mention that they had stopped eating that way, or couldn't afford to eat it nearly as much as they used to.

Paula has always said she knows how much more active they were growing up back then, that whole family were bean poles before Paula got older and her sons did as well. She stresses the rules of moderation now, but thirty or forty so years ago doesn't really apply to this year, I would think.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

So much for Paula's claim that she always stresses moderation and that they don't eat that way every meal.

She would say or do whatever would make her the most money, so of course she said one thing and did another.

Guess Bobby didn't get the memo.

His show may have been taped before she made the big announcement and told everybody about her diabetes. Part of the family schtick has always been that they eat the unhealthy food that she showcases at every meal. Paula has been open in recent interviews that she has no intention of changing her diet. Bobby's show is really too little, too late.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

Today I watched Paula's "slow cooking" show. She made her mother's Swiss Steak, which didn't look very good to me. The so-called gravy was filled with chunks of barely-recognizable things and looked like what Ina calls "a dog's breakfast," only this looked like the breakfast had come back up! Gross!

Then, Paula made Mac and Cheese, which she's made 1,000 times. This version contained not only two plus cups of shredded cheddar but also a can of undiluted cheddar cheese soup! It was so gloppy with cheese when she spooned it out that some of it was in clumps. No, thanks.

For dessert, Paula made a peach and blueberry "crisp," which wasn't crisp and which called for two cans of peaches. Ugh. She said that fresh ones were out of season. Why didn't she wait? All together, a disappointing show.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

For dessert, Paula made a peach and blueberry "crisp," which wasn't crisp and which called for two cans of peaches. Ugh. She said that fresh ones were out of season. Why didn't she wait? All together, a disappointing show.

Couldn't she use frozen fruit?

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

Poaching is not like deep frying and therefore less temperamental. The temperature is so low the food isn't at a risk of absorbing much, if any of it, so the food would not be greasy, just flavored by whatever it was poached in. The lobster would have been very succulent with the butter but far from greasy. It would also make sure the flesh doesn't get tough or rubbery.

Poaching lobsters in butter was invented by Thomas Keller of the French Laundry restaurant in California. However, he does use quite a bit less butter than Paula Deen:

For three one-and-a-half-pound lobsters, Mr. Keller uses nearly a pound of butter. The lobster meat is allowed to cook slowly in it for five to six minutes.

Edited by qvole, Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:08 PM.

may2

may2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

When Paula sons were young, they didn't have the health concerns about food they do today.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

Yesterday I watched Paula's "Breakfast in Bed" episode. Remember that one? She made one sickenly sweet recipe after another for Ma-kuhl, who was still sound asleep and letting her do all the work. (That man could use a little exercise!) Of course, Paula had to entertain her audience by confessing about the first time Michael stayed overnight with her! Why can't she leave her personal life off the air??? She giggled and acted prim and embarrassed, but she was putting on an act. She gleefully said that she served him breakfast in bed and that she thought that pretty much sealed the deal. Yuck! Sorry, Paula, but the vision of being in bed with all that facial hair and all that flab turned me off!

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

Was that the one where they sat out in the yard in their bathrobes? I still have nightmares about that one.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

Was that the one where they sat out in the yard in their bathrobes? I still have nightmares about that one.

LOL No, that must be another one! Paula did say she loves days when she can spend all day in her pajamas, though. She wore white pajamas in this one.

You guys will be happy to know that I finally saw the episode yesterday featuring Bobby's girlfriend getting a cooking lesson from Paula. Dear heavens, that girl's voice!!! Have you ever heard such baby talk? I thought it was funny then when Bobby entered the kitchen and called her "baby." When he left the kitchen, she called HIM "baby," and pretty soon, Paula began calling her "baby!" I think she only knows three replies: "Bye, baby," "Yes, ma'am," and "I LOVE it!" Paula also called her "my girlfriend-in-law!" Oh, brother!

I don't think there's any more reason for people to discuss whether or not Bobby is gay. When he saw his girlfriend and pretended to be surprised, I thought he'd eat her up! Could you just see Paula, listening on the telephone, while she sang to Bobby? He said, "Listen, Ma, to the sweetest voice on earth!" Okay, if he says so!

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

It's interesting, when I listen to Bobby's girlfriend's (I forget her name) voice on the comedy 'Mike and Molly', I think that it's really funny (maybe it's the lines she has to say). However, when I listen to her on Paula's show, I find it a tad annoying. Maybe because it sounds like a made-up voice and I don't have a problem with this on a sitcom, but I do when it's in more of a 'real' setting. However, I did like that she seems to treat Paula with some old-fashioned 'this-may-be-my-future-Southern-mama-in-law' respect ('yes ma'am', 'no ma'am'). Unless she's a better actress than I think she is. She sounded sincere to me, though.

sidewinder76

sidewinder76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

I don't think there's any more reason for people to discuss whether or not Bobby is gay.

I do, "girlfriend" or no girlfriend.

Marmaladecat

Marmaladecat

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

I turned into Best Dishes and there was Paula talking to her friend who owns a bakery, and they were then cooking fatty and sugary foods. Paula was doing her usual butter jokes, frying bacon , and her friend brought cupcakes and bread. I always found Paula's over the top fatty food cooking disgusting, but now it's really worse for me since she is pushing mess for diabetes and has her face on the cover of Prevention Magazine! I thought Bordain was to harsh about her, but now I agree with him. No, she is not responsible for how others eat, but when you are making money to talk about a disease and how to control it, and then stuffed cupcakes and all kinds of fat in your show, and joke about it, you are dangerous. Or I would say if not dangerous, Paula is fake , and will do anything for a buck, and not care how you are givingixed messages and can be dangerous.

I used to like Paula until every joke became a sex joke, and she went over the top with her overdone southern accent. I used to like her Home Cooking show, even though I don't cook that way, until she became a big star and thought iit was funny to fry butter and have her pants fall down at live cooking events. Now, she also bugs me simce she actually thinks she can cook very unhealthy foods, and then make money doing interviews with health magazines and being the face of diabetic medicines for money. The more I see see of real Paula, the more I think she's a fraud.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I don't think there's any more reason for people to discuss whether or not Bobby is gay.

Sidewinder, that was supposed to be a joke, but I should have said so! :) It sounds a little bit like an order. Sorry.

I saw the episode that marmeladecat was talking about. The baker was rather large, and she and Paula cooked such rich and sugar-laden foods that I was concerned about the health of both of them. It doesn't make sense to me that Paula is diabetic and is baking and cooking these rich dishes. I guess that's up to her to worry about, but I can't say I enjoyed the show. Paula and her friend double-battered and floured chicken breasts, deep-fried them, and ate them between scones, topped with a rich mayonnaise sauce! That was BEFORE dessert!!!

qvole

qvole

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

I doubt that she knows any other way to cook, but she should learn. People with diabetes don't have to eat a boring diet, & it would be a service to all viewers for her to show how to prepare satisfying meals that are healthy too. It's no more difficult to fix food that's good for you than it is to make her typical menu -- it's just a matter of education, & TV is well suited to provide that to a mass audience. She can be a fine teacher when she wants to be, but first she's got to really understand the subject.

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

Paula and her friend double-battered and floured chicken breasts, deep-fried them, and ate them between scones, topped with a rich mayonnaise sauce! That was BEFORE dessert!!!

Did NOT see that. Are you serious? I don't consider myself a particularly vigilant healthy eater, but if I ate three bites of that I'd be sick for two days. And I don't have diabetes.

That's just kinda...pathological. It's almost like she's going out of her way to make things that are disgusting just for the shock value and not things that might actually taste good.

Edited by Oldernotwiser, Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:20 AM.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Older, Paula has pushed the limit for years. Her Krispy Kreme bread pudding being just one example. Then I recall the hamburger (with fried egg) sandwiched between two glazed donuts. I think bacon was involved, too. I actually had to turn the channel with that one - grossed me out a little.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Paula's schtick for a long time has been that eating the foods she showcases is perfectly OK and anybody who tells you that it's not OK is a stick-in-the-mud. It's like the way cigarettes used to be shown in TV programs as a silly guilty pleasure, not a sure way to get cancer.

It's almost like she's going out of her way to make things that are disgusting just for the shock value and not things that might actually taste good.

I think she's been doing that for a while. I seriously doubt that there are lots of people using Krispy Kremes in lieu of hamburger buns or making bread pudding with them or deep-frying macaroni and cheese on a regular basis. She's turned into a joke but she continues to rake in the money. That appears to be all she and her family care about these days.

PaminBB

PaminBB

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Reading everyone's comments about how Pauler has turned into more of a carnival side show rather than a cooking show makes me think that Andrew Zimmern should give her a visit. Some of what she is making is every bit as bizarre as the stuff that he shows.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Mmmm, crispy fried bull testicles sandwiched between a couple of glazed donuts. With maple butter dipping sauce.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

It's almost like she's going out of her way to make things that are disgusting just for the shock value and not things that might actually taste good.

Paula's schtick for a long time has been that eating the foods she showcases is perfectly OK and anybody who tells you that it's not OK is a stick-in-the-mud.

I completely disagree. I'm sure there are folks who really like the donut cheeseburgers, the bread puddings, fried chicken sandwiches, etc., and honestly, the fried chicken on a scone slathered in mayo sounds pretty tasty to me. Yes, those are all terrible for you, but I never got the impression from her that you should eat those everyday. I think common sense would keep you from eating that kind of food every day, or at least eating a salad everyone once in a while.

It is not her responsibility (whether or not she has diabetes) to monitor what people eat. Yes, a lot of the stuff she makes is heavy and unhealthy, and sometimes she makes light of the amount of butter or bacon or whatever she uses, but she's not the one shoving the food down your pie-hole. If people are eating that kind of food everyday then they either (a) don't know any better, which means we need better nutritional education in this country, or (b) don't give a damn, and if they want to kill themselves, fine. I'm not in the business of saving someone from themselves, and neither is Paula. Simply blaming one's health woes on a TV celebrity with a clear schtick is just passing the blame along and it doesn't solve anything.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

I saw that episode. The recipe left the chicken breasts (or half breasts) whole, which made the sandwich almost too thick to handle. There was a lot of butter in the scones, and there was mayo spread on the sandwich, but Paula dug in like there was no tomorrow. I recorded three shows of Paula's, and on all three she DOUBLED the amount of butter called for. Paula admitted that butter is the one thing she cannot resist. It was obvious that she meant what she said!

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

My issue with Paula is what I find to be hypocrisy in the name of making money. When I recently stood in the check-out line at the grocery store and saw her picture on "Prevention" magazine with the tag line "I just want to help people". I'm assuming, someone correct me if I'm wrong, she was talking about her Pharma deal drug for diabetes that is making her millions, and yet she still makes shows featuring unhealthy foods - which is it? I agree, she is not stuffing this food down other people's throats. We are all responsible for our own health. Ironically, her own son (Bobbie) is profiting from a show that features healthier versions of her recipes.

Which is it, Paula? I want to help people or feature recipes on my show that are more than likely unhealthy? Well, to me, the answer is obvious. Both, because I can make money off of both of them.

She said soon after revealing she had diabetes that some things people were saying about her were hurtful. I'm sure they were. But look in the mirror - you can't have it both ways.

Edited by chessiegal, Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:36 AM.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

But look in the mirror - you can't have it both ways.

Except that she thinks she can and right now, she does. She can cook greasy, salty, unhealthy food with a wink and a nod, then turn around and advertise a drug that she wants people to believe will offset all the damage done by the food. And you don't have to give up anything! Of course, it's not true, but she doesn't care and the drug company doesn't care, either. As long as the money rolls in, all is well.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Has Paula filmed any more new episodes since her big health announcement? I saw one episode back on March 17th that was listed as new (and was dated 2012) on the TV listing guide. I forget the name of her guest, but they cooked recipes that stressed lower fat, although the only one I remember was the orange/banana bread, which sounded pretty good. They also made a point of discussing healthy foods and moderation. However, I think that this has been the only new one I've seen listed. Although she fawned over her guest, which I didn't particularly want to see, the food actually looked reasonably healthy and I'll bet it tasted pretty good, too. She could make some episodes that show good healthy food, with the occasional 'guilty treat' (something fried, sugary or buttery) and still do well.

sidewinder76

sidewinder76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I completely disagree. I'm sure there are folks who really like the donut cheeseburgers, the bread puddings, fried chicken sandwiches, etc., and honestly, the fried chicken on a scone slathered in mayo sounds pretty tasty to me. Yes, those are all terrible for you, but I never got the impression from her that you should eat those everyday. I think common sense would keep you from eating that kind of food every day, or at least eating a salad everyone once in a while.

It is not her responsibility (whether or not she has diabetes) to monitor what people eat. Yes, a lot of the stuff she makes is heavy and unhealthy, and sometimes she makes light of the amount of butter or bacon or whatever she uses, but she's not the one shoving the food down your pie-hole. If people are eating that kind of food everyday then they either (a) don't know any better, which means we need better nutritional education in this country, or (b) don't give a damn, and if they want to kill themselves, fine. I'm not in the business of saving someone from themselves, and neither is Paula. Simply blaming one's health woes on a TV celebrity with a clear schtick is just passing the blame along and it doesn't solve anything.

Bingo, whitepepper. It is not Paula Deen's responsibility to monitor what people eat. If you are watching her show, then there is obviously something you like about her. If not, then you can always change the channel. Complaining about her schtick while she continuously rakes in the dough gets nothing accomplished.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Yesterday, Michael cooked with Paula. Among other things, Paula made carrot bundles tied together with wilted chives. Michael, as you might remember, detests vegetables, so Paula melted three big tablespoons of brown sugar and an entire stick of butter together to make a sauce, then drowned the carrot bundles in it! That wasn't bad enough. Michael said to her, "This isn't half bad. It would be a good thing to feed to kids." Paula agreed! How are kids going to learn to like vegetables if they're drowned in sugar? And who calms them down from their sugar highs? It reminded me of the criticism leveled at Paula over her "cooking for children" book.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:41 PM.

lexilina

lexilina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Paula and her friend double-battered and floured chicken breasts, deep-fried them, and ate them between scones, topped with a rich mayonnaise sauce! That was BEFORE dessert!!!

Oh the horror!! Sorry, I am from the south and that was a simply a chicken biscuit, which we love from time to time, and it was not a mayonnaise sauce it was butter. It is okay to eat like that every now and then. Again, she is not advocating that people eat like that every day. Go to your local fast food restaurant and you will get the same fat and calories and probably more. I mean look how Julia Child cooked and she is a national treasure! Cream, butter, eggs, more cream, more butter...

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

I mean look how Julia Child cooked and she is a national treasure! Cream, butter, eggs, more cream, more butter...

And Julia repeatedly stressed all things in moderation, she did not give lip service to it like Paula is trying to reinvent her history. Nor did Julia gleefully cackle over how outrageous her unhealthy food is, mainly because it wasn't outrageously unhealthy food, plus Julia had too much class to play the fool that Paula does, IMO, all because of Paula's greed and need for attention. Julia was serious about food and teaching. Paula is almost the antithesis of Julia Child.

ETA: I've seen Julia Child cook many, many healthy dishes. They were not all fat laden.

Edited by chessiegal, Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:25 PM.

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

Julia's heyday was before we knew what high-fat, high cholesterol foods could do to your health, before we became such a sedentary society, and before the obesity epidemic. I look at most of her recipes now and know that I wouldn't even enjoy them.