Dark Shadows

• Please log in to reply

764 replies to this topic

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 4:26 PM

I always thought it would have been cool if Roxanne had been played by AM.

PeteMartell

PeteMartell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 4:26 PM

I think Moltke was the heart of the show I have rarely seen an actress play a victim role with as much strength and conviction as Moltke provided. Poor KLS was, with a few exceptions, completely lost in that role. It's incredibly hard to play a pure heroine. 

If anyone wants to try the soap forums at the Soap Opera Network Board, they have a fairly active canceled soaps section, with memories, articles, videos, etc.

http://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/

HighlyUnlikely

HighlyUnlikely

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 8:15 PM

What a great thread!  Discovered it the other day and had to read and enjoy it all, then chime in.  I have watched the show in bits and pieces over the years, and recently bought the whole series and started watching from the beginning.  Right now I'm 200 episodes in and getting ready for Barnabas and Co. at last. Yay!

My random thoughts about the first season...

Uneven and really sloooow, but interesting enough to watch.  It's too bad so many collections and reviews act like DS didn't exist pre-Barnabas.

Alexandra Moltke is an appealing heroine, at least at first. Early Vicki had some spunk. Too bad she devolved into the Girl Most Likely to Require a Rescue from a Secret Dungeon.

Roger is a hoot. Reminds me of Uncle Arthur from Bewitched. So flamboyant!  And the undisputed master of the flub recovery. Well done, sir.

Burke Devlin is a complete snooooze as a main villain.  He spends 200 episodes posturing, plotting and scheming and then... well, doesn't really manage to do much. Definitely not worthy of all of Roger's paranoia and Liz's incessant hand-wringing. Kind of hilarious that he's instantly blamed for every Bad Thing that happens, and it always turns out to be someone else (David, Matthew Morgan, Laura).  Everyone else is so much more efficient at messing with the Collins family.

So many of the looong plots just dry up or fizzle out with no real resolution.  Burke just stops being mad, Vicki never finds out about her mother or her connection to the Collins family, David is found guilty of... everything, and they go on like nothing happened.  I guess all the homicidal kidnappers and supernatural being became too distracting for Vicki to focus on her own problems.

David Collins has to be the biggest WTF of the first season.  He is behind (or an accomplice to) everything bad that happens, and never even gets sent to his room without his supper!  He tries to murder his father, tries to kill Vicki by abandoning her in that locked room, helps a murderer evade capture, then leaves Vicki AGAIN and refuses to help her escape an axe murderer (until he's scared into confessing later on). I realize he's a juvenile, but damn. Not even a slap on a wrist, or some counseling, maybe?  LOL.  Maybe that's why Vicki became a Dumb Damsel.  Who in their right mind would just stay on as a tutor after all that?

Despite all the issues, it was entertaining enough.  Can't wait for the arrival of Barnabas and Co. though, and what I remember of the next season. John Karlen chewing the scenery!  Grayson Hall impersonating a woman!  Good times, good times.

HighlyUnlikely

HighlyUnlikely

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 8:18 PM

Forgot to mention, you can really feel the writing tightening up as the season goes along.  Matthew Morgan and Laura Collins actually get satisfying conclusions to their stories.  Not to take anything away from the wonderful Mr. Frid, but I think it's wrong to say he singlehandedly saved a dying show. The whole cast and crew were gathering steam by the time he signed on.

atomationage

atomationage

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 2:30 PM

I think Moltke was the heart of the show I have rarely seen an actress play a victim role with as much strength and conviction as Moltke provided.

I agree that she did a very good job.  In interviews, the actress didn't seem satisfied with the role.  I also liked Joanna Going in the role in the 1991 version. 

Jayson79

Jayson79

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2014 @ 2:59 PM

I do recall Motke being dissatisfied in interviews over the part and admitting that looking back that Victoria Winters was the every woman character that kept the show somewhat grounded in reality, but at the time, she wanted something more fun to play.  I could see her frustration grow when the other actors were given different characters to play with different backstories to draw from.  All she requested when the show asked her to come back was different character to play, which certainly was not that far fetched of a request.

It is sad that the show watered down Maggie's character when the early episodes showcased a sarcastic side that was down played quite a bit after the 1795 story.  Even while she was held captive by Barnabas, she fought her way out of the Josette trance and resisted all attempts to become Josette to the point that even Barnabas realized that while she resembled Josette, she acted nothing like her.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2014 @ 3:16 PM

I watched 370 last night.  Victoria is stuck in 1795.  I had a laugh when Sam and Maggie Evans came in as Josette and her father. 

HighlyUnlikely

HighlyUnlikely

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 1:03 PM

Is it just me, or does Maggie sort of look like a young Mariah Carey? From Dark Shadows to Glitter!

Tippi

Tippi

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 6:09 PM

Duchess Kate of Cambridge reminds me a bit of Maggie/KLS.  I wonder why Lara Parker never hit it really big in Hollywood?  Lord knows, she had the beauty.  She'd have been a kick-ass Cersei Lannister!

atomationage

atomationage

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 3:29 PM

Does anyone want to start up a DS thread at Previously.TV?  They want sub topics.  I thought there had to be one for Barnabas, maybe one for Victoria.  I don't know where the request forum is there.   Never mind I just found that.

Edited by atomationage, Apr 13, 2014 @ 3:39 PM.

Jayson79

Jayson79

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 8:12 PM

I do think subforums should be for Barnabas, Victoria, Julia, and Angelique.  Those four characters were pretty important to the show at different times.

atomationage

atomationage

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 10:26 AM

Small Talk:  Dan Curtis Did It First.

Victoria Winters, narrator extraordinaire. 

"My name is Victoria Winters. My journey is beginning, a journey that I hope will open the doors of life to me, and link my past with my future, a journey that will bring me to a strange and dark place, to the edge of the sea high above widow's hill, a house called Collinwood, a world I've never known, with people I've never met, people who tonight are still only shadows in my mind, but who will soon fill the days and nights of my tomorrows."

The Collins Family through history.

Angelique:  You Old Troublemaker

Barnabas:  Don't forget the fangs.

Dr. Julia Hoffman:  No I did not have a sex change!

Edited by atomationage, Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:13 AM.

PeteMartell

PeteMartell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 2:13 PM

Carolyn Stoddard: Lost Girl

Maggie Evans: My Name's Not Josette

Willie Loomis: Loveable Screwup

Laura Collins: Rising From The Ashes

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 5:44 PM

Bats on Strings, Skulls on Sticks, and The Time-Traveling Afghan: Favorite Inanimate Objects

Making It Up As We Go: Best Dialogue Flubs and Recoveries 

Speculative Time Travel: Filling In the Gaps of Collins Family History

PeteMartell

PeteMartell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 8:10 PM

Looks like there's an actual forum for the show now, so if you register, you can create those subforums.

http://forums.previo...4-dark-shadows/